Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 08:59   #1
BHPian

Future variants of the Skoda Fabia

NEW DELHI: Skoda Auto India, part of Europe’s largest-carmaker Volkswagen, will launch three new variants of its flagship hatchback Fabia, including a new sports model this year, a top company executive said, reports Chanchal Pal Chauhan. The new sports car, Fabia Sportline, will have newly-designed interiors and alloy wheels.

It will be fired by a powerful 1800-cc engine to cater to the growing demand for sports vehicles. The existing Fabia range comes with 1200-1600 cc engine capacity.

“We will launch multiple variants of the Fabia to leverage on its popularity. We will introduce Fabia Combi (estate version) and the tallboy Roomster models to consolidate the brand in the Indian market. We will also showcase the Fabia Rally car, though it will not be available for retail sale,” Skoda’s head (sales and marketing) Thomas Kuehl said.

Skoda, the maker of premium cars, is among the few auto makers whose sales have increased in the domestic market when total auto sales have declined due to the financial meltdown. Its sales grew 22% to 11,309 cars in the April-December period. Fabia is its largest selling brand and the company sold over 7,000 cars in 2008, the first year of its launch.

Currently, Fabia is assembled at Skoda’s Aurangabad facility that will move to Volkswagen’s upcoming plant at Pune in Maharashtra in April-May. Skoda will also launch the next generation models of sedans Superb and Laura in the next few months.

“We have finalised plans to launch the next generation Superb in India and the new Laura will hit the market in the middle of 2009. We want to remain the segment leader in the Rs 10-25 lakh bracket,” Mr Kuehl said.
The company will also venture into the sports utility vehicle (SUV) segment with the launch of its Yeti model in early 2010, expected to be priced around Rs 10 lakh. It will expand its dealership network to 60 this year. In a bid to augment spare part supplies from its European facilities, Skoda has set up a warehouse at Aurangabad at an investment of Rs 12 crore.

Source :Skoda to unveil three Fabia variants- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 9th February 2009, 10:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnieboy View Post
1) The new sports car, Fabia Sportline, will have newly-designed interiors and alloy wheels.
It will be fired by a powerful 1800-cc engine to cater to the growing demand for sports vehicles. The existing Fabia range comes with 1200-1600 cc engine capacity.

2) “We will launch multiple variants of the Fabia to leverage on its popularity. We will introduce Fabia Combi (estate version) and the tallboy Roomster models to consolidate the brand in the Indian market. We will also showcase the Fabia Rally car, though it will not be available for retail sale,” Skoda’s head (sales and marketing) Thomas Kuehl said.

3) Its sales grew 22% to 11,309 cars in the April-December period. Fabia is its largest selling brand and the company sold over 7,000 cars in 2008, the first year of its launch.

4) Currently, Fabia is assembled at Skoda’s Aurangabad facility that will move to Volkswagen’s upcoming plant at Pune in Maharashtra in April-May. Skoda will also launch the next generation models of sedans Superb and Laura in the next few months.

5) “We have finalised plans to launch the next generation Superb in India and the new Laura will hit the market in the middle of 2009. We want to remain the segment leader in the Rs 10-25 lakh bracket,” Mr Kuehl said.
The company will also venture into the sports utility vehicle (SUV) segment with the launch of its Yeti model in early 2010, expected to be priced around Rs 10 lakh.

6) It will expand its dealership network to 60 this year. In a bid to augment spare part supplies from its European facilities, Skoda has set up a warehouse at Aurangabad at an investment of Rs 12 crore.
1) Cost ? The present range of motors do not touch 1600cc. I think 1.8 will be real hot hatch, but in what range will be the price is the real parameter. Touch Rs. 10 lakh and people will be better off with a Civic rather than a hot hatch.

2) I wonder where will they place those vehicles. Specially the roomster. Roomster's real competitors will be Tavera/Innova and Xylo IMHO.

3) Its just 583.3 or 584 cars per month. Very bad figures considering that other hatch and C segment cars placed at the same level sell more than Fabia.

4) Can we expect more local parts and lower price than the present price for Fabia. I doubt the new Laura will be based on Mark VI Golf.

5) Skoda Yeti is something look forward to. Well priced, but again the question comes, where will Combi be placed ? I think Yeti and combi will be placed side by side.

6) The quality of serivice at Skoda A.S & S. must improve in the first place. This is sure to give them more sales. Just increasing the quantity = more trouble for Skoda. Already they were not able to control quality of service with less number of dealerships, now they are adding more, I wonder how the quality will improve.
Old 9th February 2009, 12:11   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
6) The quality of serivice at Skoda A.S & S. must improve in the first place.
the funny thing is that most of the senior management at Skoda believe that they have great A.S.S.
Old 9th February 2009, 12:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Is the 1.8 going to be the engine from the RS?
Old 9th February 2009, 14:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

@ Khanak - This would probably be the new 1.8 TSI, 160 bhp.
Old 9th February 2009, 14:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
the funny thing is that most of the senior management at Skoda believe that they have great A.S.S.
Maybe they do a lot of stairmaster routines !!
Old 9th February 2009, 17:44   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great to hear about more variants but the obvious question is : At what price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Not really. Skodas CEO, in a recent interview, admitted that their after-sales is not up to the mark. He promised "some pleasant surprises". That was about 6 months back.
Old 9th February 2009, 17:53   #8
BHPian

I expect this variants at a very competitve price beacuse Volkswagen Pune Plant is quite ahead of there schedule. The first model they are planning to manufacture there is Fabia with a more local content.

Lets hope for the best.
Old 9th February 2009, 18:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

How about giving the 1.8 engine to the 14 lakh Jetta that 'really' needs it. Fabia wagon with 1.9 diesel DSG will be a great 10 lakh car.

Oh! and please do a facelift on that 80s looking Octavia before wasting money on a 10 lakh Roomster that nobody wants. The Fusion has proven beyond doubt that tall Euro space wagons wont work in India.

Last edited by Mpower : 9th February 2009 at 18:27.
Old 9th February 2009, 18:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

If they are rolled out of the VW plant, then it will be priced good.
Hope they do it.
I love the fabia and don't want it to face more failures due to the prices.
Old 9th February 2009, 18:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
3) Its just 583.3 or 584 cars per month. Very bad figures considering that other hatch and C segment cars placed at the same level sell more than Fabia.
Actually, the entire Skoda sales for Jan 09 is 573. That includes Fabia+Octy+Laura+Superb. See vasudeva's spreadhseet. Fabia never sold above 300 in the last 3 months.
Old 9th February 2009, 20:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not really. Skodas CEO, in a recent interview, admitted that their after-sales is not up to the mark. He promised "some pleasant surprises". That was about 6 months back.
He was probably referring to this limited period offer:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ll-models.html
Old 9th February 2009, 23:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

A fabia with a 1.9 tdi engine + Custom code remap = 150+ bhp & 350NM of torque is what am looking for. Am sure the price would be in 10L range. But, then I prefer to have it as I barely make use of the booth option given of a sedan. Presently am driving a fabia 1.4tdi with a remap and completely satisfied with the performance and mileage it delivers.
What would be more interesting is to have a fabia vRS with a 1.8TSI engine. With plenty of options to upgrade the power incase someone is not satisfied with the stock throttle delivery. Though I doubt they would ever give that option, I don't think it's sold anywhere with that option.
From business of point I agree how many would actually buy it as with 10L+ price on it, it enters the D segment. Unless they localise the parts, bring down the cost, and give all the features under in under 9L price bracket, that might be the selling option.
I learnt from a senior chief engineer at Skoda that it is expected to be here by April after the launch of Superb. Combi and facelifted laura would join later.

Given a choice with DSG gearbox, it would deffinately be the one to go for.
Am already game for it.

Here are few pics of Fabia Sportline. Awesome color.
Attached Thumbnails
Future variants of the Skoda Fabia-fabia-yello.jpg  

Future variants of the Skoda Fabia-fabia-yellow2.jpg  

Last edited by Invinsible : 9th February 2009 at 23:39.
Old 10th February 2009, 01:26   #14
BHPian

[quote=aaggoswami;1163700]2) I wonder where will they place those vehicles. Specially the roomster. Roomster's real competitors will be Tavera/Innova and Xylo IMHO.

quote]
Well Roomster is a mini MPV with only five seats. I don't see it can compete with the likes of Tavera/Innova as Roomster is a completely different segment.
Old 10th February 2009, 08:58   #15
BHPian

Out of all the most interesting part I doun was
"The company will also venture into the sports utility vehicle (SUV) segment with the launch of its Yeti model in early 2010, expected to be priced around Rs 10 lakh. "

If they can launch Yeti at that price that will surely be a steal. I got to see Yeti at the last Auto expo and was impressed by its design. Though its yet to be known if they are going to underpower the SUV. I hope not coz if not they might just hit the jackpot in that segment as well. Anyone got any clues on the engine that will power the Yeti ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks