Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 11:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, maybe Skoda is changing its image to a reasonable car company since the advent of VW.
Old 11th February 2009, 11:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This offer does make a lot of sense.

Its' closest rival, the i 20, sells at 4.8 lakhs for base Magna, 5.6 lakhs for mid Asta and 5.8 lakhs for Asta optional pack respectively (ex showroom).

With this offer the base 1.2 Petrol Active sells at 4.39 and Classic at 4.73. Top of the line Ambiente is just 5.35, with alloy wheels, ABS, brake assist, fog lamps, electically adj. mirrors, one touch power windows, remote locking - the works.

The Fabia offers dual airbags, reach and rake adjustable steering, height adjustable driver and passenger seats, height adjustable front seatbelts with pretensioners, rear wash wipe as standard equipment across the range. Plus class leading build quality and comfort.

If you look at the i 10, the Asta without sunroof goes at 4.7 lakhs! You do the math.
Good points there.

But the math sounds good till you take the delivery of the car. The primary reason why someone would opt for a i20 over the Fabia (Now that 1 day is already gone) is the a.s.s/spares cost.

Plus the i20 is a fresh car.
Old 11th February 2009, 13:25   #18
BHPian

Did anyone see the Fabia vs i20 comparo in 'The Hindu' newspaper today?

They said that the i20 is a grown up economy hatch whereas the Fabia is a shrunk sedan. I have not driven either but the ones that have, do you agree?
Old 11th February 2009, 13:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

What Fabia will cost less in service, Skoda will more than recover in service.
Old 11th February 2009, 14:01   #20
BHPian

Well I think for if you consider Interiors, Pleasure of driving, comfort & space only, than Fabia wins over i20.
Old 11th February 2009, 14:49   #21
BHPian

I feel once the Volkswagon is in full steam in the Indian market, the skoda will be like a step sister, and in a way it'll good time for the Indian customers, as we'll get to get the cars in their 'actual' price. I wonder what will make Honda's come to their 'true value'. Like the skodas they are also ridiculously over priced .
Old 11th February 2009, 15:44   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post

They said that the i20 is a grown up economy hatch whereas the Fabia is a shrunk sedan. I have not driven either but the ones that have, do you agree?
Have Test Driven both,

Totally Agree. Just shut the door of the Fabia, no other hatch compares, even the new city and Civics "Clank" in comparision to the "Thud".

At a certain VFM level feel the same about the Indica vs the other Hatches - Run the risk of being laughed at but that is my take on it.
Old 11th February 2009, 15:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post

The Hindu lost for words? The phrase is a lift from ACI Feb issue.
Old 11th February 2009, 15:53   #24
Team-BHP Support

If Skoda made a genuine attempt to improve it's A.S.S instead of ignoring any questions regarding it (from the Auto press) and if Skoda introduced the 'real' 1600cc/16v 105bhp Tiptronic version it'd be on my list.
Old 11th February 2009, 17:13   #25
BHPian

Gave a call to the Dehradun Skoda dealer and he denied any such offering after re-confirming to his senior and all.
So may be the dealer at Pune may be offering the deal at his end. I was too tempted that i was on the verge of cancelling my i10 booking! But again i10- i got it all!

Last edited by superbhikari : 11th February 2009 at 17:15.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:12   #26
BHPian

Un-Elegance

Called TAFE (Bangalore) today and the top-end Elegance model (Petrol 1.4) was quoted as 8.11Lacs OTR. They denied any price decrease, so Fabia still remains the same - overpriced. And we are not talking about the after effects (service and support) here.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

well that says it all...its a pure marketing strategy dont get carried away by this guys
Old 12th February 2009, 07:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Today saw an AD in The Hindu Newspaper. Skoda Fabia starts at Rs.492,822 . Is this a Discounted Price ?
Old 12th February 2009, 10:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Today saw an AD in The Hindu Newspaper. Skoda Fabia starts at Rs.492,822 . Is this a Discounted Price ?
No its not a Discount..
Its a Active Model Cost, the most base model..

Active
Classic
Ambiente
Elegance..
Old 12th February 2009, 12:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-NewCar View Post
No its not a Discount..
Its a Active Model Cost, the most base model..

Active
Classic
Ambiente
Elegance..
well now skoda does nto understand that its getting into brand dilution and trying to cater to a wider market. The main idea of Skada Fabia is that of a hot hatch - numbers have been poor throughout but if you get a boiled down version of a hot hatch would some own whos paying 5-6 lakhs for a hatch actually want the cheaper version. And one who wants to but a santro would not upgrade to a Skoda by paying 1.4 lakhs more (satro GLS vs Fabia Active).

What skoda is trying to do IMHO is tryign to take the battle to the Swifts - but at 5.5 lakhs the ZXI is loaded in comparision ot the Skoda.

I would not go for the Skoda at this price when I can have the Swift ZXI of the other hatch the Swift VDI.

Most Viewed