Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 12:13   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the april sales figures shows xylo sold 3500 units compared to 2800 units of the innova. this is the same car which T-BHP bashed up like anything for its awkward styling. comments were seen that this is a very crude MUV from a tractor making company will not sell even half of what the innova sells!

now what remains to be seen is will the xylo continue to sell like this throughout the year? will it give a tough fight to innova in the times to come? if yes, what does toyota do to make amends? i will be really grateful to mahindra if because of them, toyota slashes the 'ever desirable' innova's price or atleast offer more features or a better engine!
hi Raj,

i am waiting in the wings for Mahindra to launch 2 essential features in the Xylo -- ABS and airbags and if possible an auto tranny. I believe the ABS version is already out. 3 test drives and 4 meetings\calls with the Pune division manager since Feb 09 and he has assured that they will have an E10 version with ABS and airbags if not Auto.

the thing i liked about the above conversations is that Mahindra is listening carefully to feedback. Like when i said about Anti roll bar at the back and need of better engineering techniques to reduce the CG of the vehicle, he was actually making notes of our conversation and he later emailed them to me.
Old 21st May 2009, 12:33   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
hi Raj,

the thing i liked about the above conversations is that Mahindra is listening carefully to feedback.....he was actually making notes of our conversation and he later emailed them to me.
Well thats the beauty of Mahindra!! Infact they met countless people like you even before they started making Xylo. The end product you see and its phenomenal value is the result of their consumer workshops. Iam happy they continue to do so even after the product is launched.

Iam a off roading and tourring inclined person. Xylo is a good vehicle with lots of space and ground clearence. M&M must launch 4wd version soon else thier objective of making such tall vehicle at the expense of handling is lost!! So 4wd verson ASAP..
Old 21st May 2009, 14:28   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i had started a thread in this forum before the launch of the xylo about the stinginess of toyota. i adore the innova a lot, but i am suprised how stingy they can be with customers who pay 12 lakhs for the top end innova. i was asked to pay extra Rs. 800 for the mudflaps & Rs. 2000 for the floormats (which is standard in competition's cars). and toyota termed these as 'accessory'. all that i want is toyota offer these basics as standard in their vehicles. the innova GX does not get a music system! its a car costing 10.5 lakhs! they provide 4 speakers but no head unit! what use is the speakers without the head unit?
Valid points Raj there, is it only for Innova or the dealers do such stingy for Altis, Camry etc (not that the buyers would mind paying, but Free always brings smile)
Old 21st May 2009, 14:37   #139
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
This is a widely discussed topic from the day of the launch.First hand point to be noted,
The Innova is a car, The Xylo is a Jeep.
So... Is that a compliment to the Xylo or not?
Old 21st May 2009, 15:03   #140
BHPian

I think a immediate FaceLift of Xylo can make big change in Market. May be Grill/Headlamp/ABS/AirBag/Alloy with minimul increment of price. Hope M&M is listening.
Some time I hate Toyota becos they does not provide any car to Indian Consumer less than 7L. Where ever they have car with this range which they are selling in other country. The reason may be for mass Productino they need Wide Service network which they dont have. They only try to be restrict them self in Luxary segment.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:42   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
hi Raj,

i am waiting in the wings for Mahindra to launch 2 essential features in the Xylo -- ABS and airbags and if possible an auto tranny. I believe the ABS version is already out. 3 test drives and 4 meetings\calls with the Pune division manager since Feb 09 and he has assured that they will have an E10 version with ABS and airbags if not Auto.

the thing i liked about the above conversations is that Mahindra is listening carefully to feedback. Like when i said about Anti roll bar at the back and need of better engineering techniques to reduce the CG of the vehicle, he was actually making notes of our conversation and he later emailed them to me.
yes, that does happen. even after my TD, an executive came & asked me what i liked in the car & what i dint like. knowing that i have a scorpio, he even asked me whether i would considering buying the xylo now as a second car or as an alternative to the scorpio.
the same happened in the scorpio too. i (along with countless other owners) had mailed them about the need for sliding middle row seats, electric RVMs & vertical AC vents, the older rotary ones were pathetic. all seems to be preset in the newer versions. the only request which mahindra did not consider was roof mounted AC. they offer it as an accessory at the A.S.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Iam a off roading and tourring inclined person. Xylo is a good vehicle with lots of space and ground clearence. M&M must launch 4wd version soon else thier objective of making such tall vehicle at the expense of handling is lost!! So 4wd verson ASAP..
atleast let them launch the scorpio mHawk 4x4 first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Valid points Raj there, is it only for Innova or the dealers do such stingy for Altis, Camry etc (not that the buyers would mind paying, but Free always brings smile)
exactly my point. do they think a person spending 12 lakhs would crib about Rs. 2600 extra on the car price? make it standard please.
i have no idea about their treatment with the sedans though.
Old 21st May 2009, 20:19   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I think a immediate FaceLift of Xylo can make big change in Market.
Arindam, do the sales figures not show that the looks are not as bad as some of us imagine?
My wife and daughters find the Xylo very smart looking!

Beauty is in the eye ....
Old 22nd May 2009, 00:00   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Arindam, do the sales figures not show that the looks are not as bad as some of us imagine?
My wife and daughters find the Xylo very smart looking!

Beauty is in the eye ....
Though I am not very particular about the looks of a car, Still I will tell they could have give a bit better look.

How ever facelift means Adding ABS/Airbag/Alloy/Interior ... too. Not only the look.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:15   #144
Senior - BHPian

The Xylo has been tested extensively before it has been launched. I have see the camouflaged Ingenio many a times in Ooty. I have picked up an E6, and I am happy with it for the moment, I have some issues with the service center regarding the shobby paint job they have done on my rear door. Upreti from team bho was kind enought to send me a few contact details in three levels and I have mailed the first level at Mahindra customer care. They responded to me in like record time. They have asked me to take the vehicle to the service center and they have promised to sort out all the issue or els they will replace it with a new door.
If they plan to call me and justify on the shodiness I will have to use a bit of you know what.
Old 15th December 2009, 23:54   #145
Senior - BHPian

I bought an Innova VX this September after test driving both Xylo and Innova . I agree that the Xylo engine seems a bit more peppy compared to Innova, and I love spirited driving (My other car is a Baleno). What were the factors that drove me to this decision -

- Tried doing a Lane change @100KMph in the Xylo and was a bit hairy. The body control was not right somehow

- Quality of Plastics was miles apart compared to the Innova

- Xylo had no space for luggage after the third row and I hate roof carriers...Innova still had some space that could take luggage for an overnight trip if not more.

- Innova had a more usable config with a split seating 3rd row. For eg if you have 6 persons and some extra luggage, just fold part of the 3rd row seat and seat and you have space for both. While 3rd row of Xylo is better in space, innova's third row can also seat an adult in moderate comfort on a long ride.

- Innova felt like a car to drive - smooth and easy to maneuver with a lot of confidence at 100kmph+ speeds that frankly was missing in the Xylo. I love relaxed high speed cruising and high speeds were a bit more involving in the Xylo.

Even with all of the above, I was still considering both Xylo and Innova as the price differential would be enough to buy an additional car.

- The final clincher 1- My wife did not like the Xylo as she found that even at the most forward position, (she is 5-2") the pedals were a bit out of reach for her.
-The final clincher 2- My daughter wanted only Innova. Period.

Do I miss the Xylo and the extra pep that it offered - Honestly No. Innova is "All that we desire". We love the large glass area that offers a panaromic view on highway drives, the controlled poise at high speeds and the stability in hard cornering.

After just a few days of driving, the car (or minibus?) just wraps around you and you start flicking it around like you would any other car. Unsure if I could do it in a Xylo.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 16th December 2009 at 00:05.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2009, 09:37   #146
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I have driven both Innova and Xylo on highways(both good and bad). For the VFM & Customer service, I would opt for an XYLO any day. Yeah looks do matter, I am sure somebody in M&M must have realized that by now that they need to break the old korean looks for a well made Indian car.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:06   #147
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Innova vs Xylo choice may at times have more to do with the buying power and the general thought process of the buying segment in todays time.

What I am referring to is that an Innova exudes a certain class that the Xylo sadly does not pocess, but then the Xylo is definately much more VFM than the Innova, so how cum the Innova sells that much more with lesser features in the base model priced higher than the top model Xylo- simple they are both MUV's but then address a slightly different segment.

Except for the Xylo top mod and the Innova base model which clash in pricing it is quite obvious that the Xylo top mod does not compete with the Innova Top mod in pricing or in any other way. The difference is too huge.

Plus the Xylo seems to convey a more rugged charm that would suite smaller towns as well as rough roads more than the Innovas huge city van charm that has highway benifits as well.

The xylo base option would at times even compete for attention with the base c segment cars as a potential option, which the Innova just cannot do due to the pricing, if at all it would compete with the D Segment.

It's almost like asking the SX4 with all with VFM charm to compete with the base Altis or the Civic which are a segment higher.

Sadly in the case of MUV's there is no distinct further segmentation within the MUV category else both would be called leaders in their own segment.

Now we need to see where the X'Over - Indicruz slots in (with the Xylo or the Innova or beyond?)
Old 21st December 2009, 13:56   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The Innova vs Xylo choice may at times have more to do with the buying power and the general thought process of the buying segment in todays time.

What I am referring to is that an Innova exudes a certain class that the Xylo sadly does not pocess, but then the Xylo is definately much more VFM than the Innova, so how cum the Innova sells that much more with lesser features in the base model priced higher than the top model Xylo- simple they are both MUV's but then address a slightly different segment.

<snip> <snip>

Sadly in the case of MUV's there is no distinct further segmentation within the MUV category else both would be called leaders in their own segment.

Now we need to see where the X'Over - Indicruz slots in (with the Xylo or the Innova or beyond?)
Hi ACM,

I sorta agree. It's not features alone that will lead to a buy decision. I own a 2001 Qualis, done about 150K kms. I am now considering a trade-in of the trusty Q for something else.

Speaking for myself, here's how I see my requirements. My seating requirements are five plus me. Of the five, one is a lady of 68 years and one a teen guy, 5'11" and growing. I estimate he will add another inch or so in a year (and she will add a year for sure). I do mostly city driving but tend to do longish drives, say about 1500+ kms round-trip, about 3-4 times a year. I am NOT very auto-knowledgable; neither do I have the time to attend to niggling complaints about my vehicle.

Attracted by some of the Xylo reviews and the discounts on offer I did a TD a couple of weeks back. It was a short city drive of about 2 kms in city conditions on decent roads. Not very impressed! Somethings that stood out are the nasty vibration in the gear stick, the hardness in the gear shifting, the lack of feel when I was braking, the difficulty to get in and out of the vehicle and the lack of headroom in the last row (barely an inch or so headroom for the 5'9" me). Add to that the fear that I may accidentally lower the driver seat height while driving - and have to get off to raise it again. Is it normal to give "height adjustment" feature but require you to get off the seat to raise the seat?

Do any of these issues call for high tech solutions that would push up the cost of design, manufacture or support?

Some subjective factors (based on feedback from other owners) have been that M&M is not free from making vehicles that have the occasional quality problems and niggling complaints that are sometimes recurrent. While these may not be about the XYLO specifically, it still is about the maker.

The XYLO does have some serious features on offer at a great price. For someone who can afford a Innova, I would have loved to buy an Indian vehicle and save some big bucks as a bonus. But!

I think buying decisions are influenced by the basics such as your prior ownership experience if any, what others say about their ownership experience and your initial "feel" when you do the TD. Manufactures pay to advertise their oomph factors but unpaid advertisements sell better.

While price might restrict the choices, other factors will eliminate possibilities.

Having said that, I plan to wait and take a look at the much talked about Tata Indicruz. However, Tata starts at a disadvantage - see varunroy's thread on his ownership experience!
Old 28th December 2009, 12:11   #149
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtom View Post
Hi ACM,

Speaking for myself, here's how I see my requirements. My seating requirements are five plus me. Of the five, one is a lady of 68 years and one a teen guy, 5'11" and growing. I estimate he will add another inch or so in a year (and she will add a year for sure). I do mostly city driving but tend to do longish drives, say about 1500+ kms round-trip, about 3-4 times a year. neither do I have the time to attend to niggling complaints about my vehicle.

Out go TATA, Mahindra and hence xylo, Indicruz - their vehicles will have issues more or less may be a point to consider but if issues are a strict no no there is no option but the Innova today.

Attracted by some of the Xylo reviews and the discounts on offer I did a TD a couple of weeks back. It was a short city drive of about 2 kms in city conditions on decent roads. Not very impressed! Somethings that stood out are the nasty vibration in the gear stick, the hardness in the gear shifting, the lack of feel when I was braking, the difficulty to get in and out of the vehicle and the lack of headroom in the last row (barely an inch or so headroom for the 5'9" me). Add to that the fear that I may accidentally lower the driver seat height while driving - and have to get off to raise it again. Is it normal to give "height adjustment" feature but require you to get off the seat to raise the seat?

Height adjustment is a standard and very reliable feature on almost all cars today, so pls do not be alarmed by it. the height would not go down on it's own in the middle of the ride.

Gear stick viberation is infact the highest in the Innova, followed by the Xylo and the Indicruz is likely to be the most stable gear stick (based on how the Safari Gear stick is) but if you are referring to the smoothest gear shift then the Innova leads in the 3.

Do any of these issues call for high tech solutions that would push up the cost of design, manufacture or support?

Some subjective factors (based on feedback from other owners) have been that M&M is not free from making vehicles that have the occasional quality problems and niggling complaints that are sometimes recurrent. While these may not be about the XYLO specifically, it still is about the maker.

True

The XYLO does have some serious features on offer at a great price. For someone who can afford a Innova, I would have loved to buy an Indian vehicle and save some big bucks as a bonus. But!

True that is the worry that most buyers of the Xylo have, but today M&M has come a long way it's vehicles are more or less quite reliable, not as much as the Toyota but the issue that M&M vechiles have are not show stoppers and mostly can wait being rectifeid in routine service.

I think buying decisions are influenced by the basics such as your prior ownership experience if any, what others say about their ownership experience and your initial "feel" when you do the TD. Manufactures pay to advertise their oomph factors but unpaid advertisements sell better.

While price might restrict the choices, other factors will eliminate possibilities.

Having said that, I plan to wait and take a look at the much talked about Tata Indicruz. However, Tata starts at a disadvantage - see varunroy's thread on his ownership experience!
Don't go by a singe experience - there are bad experiences with all cars, TATA as a manufacturer has come a long way, the indicruz has been tested for the last 2 years and it's launch has not been rushed. the Vista and Manza quality can be expected at the min level, and these are quite reliable as well.
Old 28th December 2009, 14:05   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Even I didn't like Innova when it comes to smoothness over 80kmph speed (Diesel Innova) is concerned in comparision with Scorpio/safari/Xylo which are more smooth and more quiet than Diesel Innova.
Having owned and driven Innova for close to three years, I would like to elaborate on this point.

In fifth gear engine is smooth upto 95 kmpl after that noise becomes very loud. It stays so upto 105 kmpl. After 105kmpl it again becomes silky smooth. I guess turbo kicks in at this point of time... i am not sure. This becomes very irritating on express way and i try to drive below 95 or above 110 on express ways. On other highways this is not much of a problem because usually i dont drive above 100 on other highways.

This is the sole dissatisfaction that I have with my Innova. Otherwise the car is exceptional.

Most Viewed