Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 23:16   #61
BHPian

Xylo will rake in good number for Mahindra in the Taxi segment alone. Of course there will be a shift in Innova volumes to Xylo, but only in the taxi segment. And one important factor, the resale value. Toyota will hold onto its high resale values for eons. All money you save when you opt for the Xylo will banish when you sell it. And the styling will be the major deterrent for people to use it for own use.
Old 17th February 2009, 01:00   #62
Team-BHP Support

honestly if you ask me, the xylo really wont affect the innova sales much. i think the innova sells the most of its g4 and v models, which are priced between 10 and 12 lacs. someone buying those wont really buy a xylo which is 3 lacs cheaper. the innova has also made itself into sort of a status symbol, at least this is what ive noticed in bombay, with normal people not necessarily auto enthusiasts.

a person looking an muv in the range of 6-8 lacs will probably take the xylo without a doubt over the innova e,g1 or the grande since it is more vfm. the innova e and g1 dont sell very much and they will continue to sell in whatever small numbers they sell since the people buying those either specifically want the innova or they are taxi operators getting an innova because of the reliability toyota is known for.

of course it might make a small dent in the innovas sales but lets see what happens.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:55   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I predict that the Xylo will make a massive dent in the Innovas sales. It has the engine, interior space & Mahindras distribution to match. Sure, car enthusiasts like us would step up to the Innova, but there is a substantial chunk out there who would love to get the job done by paying 1.5 lakhs lesser!
Old 17th February 2009, 14:09   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
Xylo will rake in good number for Mahindra in the Taxi segment alone. Of course there will be a shift in Innova volumes to Xylo, but only in the taxi segment. And one important factor, the resale value. Toyota will hold onto its high resale values for eons. All money you save when you opt for the Xylo will banish when you sell it. And the styling will be the major deterrent for people to use it for own use.
How do you decide the resale value of a Xylo that has just been launched?
Old 17th February 2009, 14:14   #65
BHPian

i am already seeing a lot of xylos on road in bangalore... in the same price segment its competitor sumo grande... i have not seen a single vehicle on road.

but comparing innova and xylo is not fair, for both the vehicles. i feel xylo will make a dent to scorpio.. whoever wants to buy scorpio will think twice and may opt for the xylo. if at all the looks were even half as good as scorpio.. it would have been a good replacement.
Old 17th February 2009, 15:22   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
whoever wants to buy scorpio will think twice and may opt for the xylo.
I seriously doubt the above statement, IMO not many who are looking to buy a SUV will change their mind to buy a MUV.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
I seriously doubt the above statement, IMO not many who are looking to buy a SUV will change their mind to buy a MUV.

i will never buy a xylo over a scorpio.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:13   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
The kind of people who do not post much on T-BHP and read Auto magazine but buy vehicle as another consumer durable think in terms on seating capacity , features and looks and not in terms of SUV , MUV etc. Incidentally this segment of buyers are maximum in number
Look at the sales figure of Xylo and also see drop in Scorpio sales in same period and this statement will make sense.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
The kind of people who do not post much on T-BHP and read Auto magazine but buy vehicle as another consumer durable think in terms on seating capacity , features and looks and not in terms of SUV , MUV etc. Incidentally this segment of buyers are maximum in number
Look at the sales figure of Xylo and also see drop in Scorpio sales in same period and this statement will make sense.

is not about SUV or MUV buddy, its about looks. scorpio is more stylish, has much better street presence & image than the xylo. and for some, this matters.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:26   #70
BHPian

Why not we are also considering the large service network (at least more than Toyota) of M&M. In case of Breakdown you have more option to repair you M&M vehicle. Please dont say that Toyota is so reliable that it will never breakdown.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:43   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
is not about SUV or MUV buddy, its about looks. scorpio is more stylish, has much better street presence & image than the xylo. and for some, this matters.
Looks are subjective and for a large percentage of buyers seating capacity is paramount. Incidentally a lot of people used to buy Scorpio LX CRDe earlier because it could seat 8 and was 2 lakhs cheaper then Innova and was tad better then Bolero and Sumo with price increase of mHawk this segment had moved away M&M hope to bring them back to fold and many more with Xylo at lower price point.

@ Sowmya : Toyota reliability and brand is legendary and simply not comparable to M&M as of today. Many people hunt salvaged old Toyota and Nissan Engines ( Quails ) to retrofit in jeeps ( see the jeep threads.)
The resale value of Innova is quite high so total cost of ownership is still less if someone is looking to sell the vehicle after 3/4 years of usage.

Last edited by amitk26 : 17th February 2009 at 19:01.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:50   #72
Senior - BHPian

@ silver night
Mahindra vehicles do enjoy good resale value except for the Logan.

Performance(engine) wise, the xylo is as capable as the Toyata and mahindra's engines are reliable too..

The brand and the interiors gives the value addition to the toyota.
Old 17th February 2009, 19:00   #73
Senior - BHPian

ive being seeing a lot of the face lifted innovas on road in Bangalore. Only a marginal drop of sales will be there i guess.
Old 17th February 2009, 19:17   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
ive being seeing a lot of the face lifted innovas on road in Bangalore. Only a marginal drop of sales will be there i guess.
Aren't we all waiting to see what happens next!?
If the drop in Innova sales is only marginal, will it be fair to conclude that the Xylo has 'failed'?
Or will the Xylo carve out a new niche for itself at the expense of a couple of other vehicles' combined pool?
Old 17th February 2009, 22:32   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
@ Sowmya : Toyota reliability and brand is legendary and simply not comparable to M&M as of today. Many people hunt salvaged old Toyota and Nissan Engines ( Quails ) to retrofit in jeeps ( see the jeep threads.)
The resale value of Innova is quite high so total cost of ownership is still less if someone is looking to sell the vehicle after 3/4 years of usage.
yes i do agree that toyotas make very reliable cars. but i feel this toyota reliabilty is hyped up a lot too. i too own a toyota innova & i have faced minor issues in my innova too. similarly i have seen minor issues in the scorpio too. but the difference is in the cost of repairs/maintainence/servicing between toyota & mahindra. infact even mahindras enjoy a good resale value, especially the bolero & scorpio, so i assume the xylo to continue the tradition!
i dont think mahindras suffer from engine problems whatsoever, all the issues are mainly electrical.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks