Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2009, 17:54   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy View Post

Xylo needs to compete in the urban market against innova, currently its sold in the semi urban or outskirts which is Mahindras strong hold.

so lets wait and watch.

By all means lets wait & watch. ( score so far 1800 units in Jan , 2800 unit in febriary )

but xylo is on sale right now in delhi / ncr, mumbai , chennai, Bangalore, hyderabad , pune etc. Every one of them as urban a market as you can ever get in India, when I checked last.

And if according to you , NCR, bangalore , mumbai are the semiurban markets, which is your urban market in India ?
Old 15th March 2009, 00:11   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Pray what tests have you conducted on the Xylo to say its not stable.
Since you say you have tested the Innova but don't say the same about the Xylo.

I did test a Xylo too, but it was on dealers TD car ... the pitch and roll is too high compared to Innova and braking didnt give confidence at all ....
Old 15th March 2009, 00:37   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
By all means lets wait & watch. ( score so far 1800 units in Jan , 2800 unit in febriary )

but xylo is on sale right now in delhi / ncr, mumbai , chennai, Bangalore, hyderabad , pune etc. Every one of them as urban a market as you can ever get in India, when I checked last.

And if according to you , NCR, bangalore , mumbai are the semiurban markets, which is your urban market in India ?

That way Bolero too sales in delhi / ncr, mumbai , chennai, Bangalore, hyderabad , pune etc

does is qualify to be urban ?

( score so far 1800 units in Jan , 2800 unit in febriary ). I gave my analysis , end of the day Jan Scorpio + Xylo = 3203, and Feb Scorpio + Xylo = 4081, approximately same numbers Scorpio alone used to do, the loss of scorpio is a gain of Xylo, with the "Era of" campaign M & M were trying to get into the sedan market and to increase pond size, but it does not work that way by just throwing a loud message on various mediums, product has to build the connect through its characteristics and attributes, the SUV styling and tall stance will not take the sedan replacement space, which innova has successfull captured.

as the aging Scorpio lost grounds to New Xylo, with the face lift on Scorpio its back in battle, market will see the sibllings fight for volumes
Old 15th March 2009, 16:30   #124
BHPian

Quote:
That way Bolero too sales in delhi / ncr, mumbai , chennai, Bangalore, hyderabad , pune etc
So if a bolero is sold in a market, that market should be semi urban / rural for you ? simplistic and superficial IMO. Bangalore , chennai , delhi / NCR are urban markets , even if Bolero sells in these markets .

FYI citiies like bangalore,chennai have huge narkets for tractors, farm equipment, pesticides etc as well. That does not make bangalore a rural market by any stretch of imagination.

Your earlier contention that xylo is selling only in semi urbam / rural markets is not supported by facts.

As for combined numbers of xylo + scorpio , YOY , compared to scorpio alone last year , the general slump in demand for all automakers , especially in 3rd quarter 09 , needs to be factored in. ( almost all manufacturers saw negative growth )
Old 15th March 2009, 17:25   #125
Senior - BHPian

Without getting into details of both vehicles. I doubt Mahindra can offer Toyota quality at any price point. This includes bulletproof reliability, service, value and overall quality of service and components.
Its one cheap van against an expensive van.
The Mahindra van compares well against the Tavera van and the likes and might just win hands down.
We are not comparing technological marvels, are we.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 15th March 2009 at 17:29.
Old 16th March 2009, 11:47   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
So if a bolero is sold in a market, that market should be semi urban / rural for you ? simplistic and superficial IMO. Bangalore , chennai , delhi / NCR are urban markets , even if Bolero sells in these markets .

FYI citiies like bangalore,chennai have huge narkets for tractors, farm equipment, pesticides etc as well. That does not make bangalore a rural market by any stretch of imagination.

Your earlier contention that xylo is selling only in semi urbam / rural markets is not supported by facts.

As for combined numbers of xylo + scorpio , YOY , compared to scorpio alone last year , the general slump in demand for all automakers , especially in 3rd quarter 09 , needs to be factored in. ( almost all manufacturers saw negative growth )

I dont know if I had put the point corrctly last time.

I mean to say all those markets pointed out by you like NCR, Bangalore, Chennai are very much urban, as you move to the boundry of the city and outer periphery you will see the semi urban areas.

the sale in this area is counted in the city. but thus it does not make the brand urban.

while Innova is strong Urban brand in terms of acceptance by Urban crowd

Xylo's initial response is lot of canibalisation of Scorpio and may be Tavera, not Innova. it will be intresting to see how the volumes are shared when the Scorpio is brought back to the life.
Old 31st March 2009, 09:19   #127
Senior - BHPian

Is the Xylo a huge success for Mahindra? Here's a press release. Quite justified I think, considering the car might LOOK completely off the mark but gets it spot-on with the pricing and the interior space.

Quote:

Mahindra XYLO a success withbookings crossing the 12,000 mark

March 30, 2009, Mumbai:

Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (M&M), India’s undisputed market leader in utility vehicles, today announced that bookings for the Mahindra XYLO have crossed the 12,000 mark since its launch on January 13, 2009. Cumulative Billings since the launch of the XYLO stand at 6883 nos., with the vehicle now available at 104 dealerships across India.

"We are delighted with the overwhelming response received by the XYLO since its launch, with customers across the country appreciating its strong value proposition vis-à-vis competing brands. Our endeavour of creating a Sedan plus era with the XYLO has clearly taken off with over 50% of XYLO customers migrating from the [COLOR=navy]C[/COLOR]ar segment. The phenomenal response to the XYLO also clearly points to the fact that we have managed to create a positive sentiment in the auto industry and revive customer demand. We are currently in the process of gearing up production to meet this phenomenal increase in demand,” said Mr. Rajesh Jejurikar, Chief of Operations, Automotive Sector, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.

Perhaps the most complete car with luxury comforts to enter the Indian market, the XYLO boasts a wide array of unique features including Flat Bed front seats, Digital Drive Assist System (DDAS), foldable flight trays , Reverse park assist and surround cool dual ACs. This has led customers to perceive it as an ideal alternative to premium sedans.

Innovative marketing campaign
A teaser campaign and a pre-launch website which featured videos, interviews, photographs, media coverage and a unique social media section with links to Facebook, Orkut, Del.icio.us and Digg created a positive buzz around the vehicle well before it was introduced to the public. The post launch TV campaign highlights the luxurious space and comfort of the XYLO and the fact that it is a cool and trendy lifestyle vehicle. A new and innovative website was also launched showing a fantastic cityscape at night. Interesting features included videos of the launch event, expert speak, a 360 degree view of the Car, the XYLO advertising campaigns and whatwent into making them. The site has received close to 9 lakh hits since it went live on January 13, 2009.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 31st March 2009 at 09:23.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:42   #128
BHPian

Quote:
while Innova is strong Urban brand in terms of acceptance by Urban crowd

Xylo's initial response is lot of canibalisation of Scorpio and may be Tavera, not Innova. it will be intresting to see how the volumes are shared when the Scorpio is brought back to the life.
I have seen a lot of Innovas in the fringe areas of Mumbai / Pune / Bangalore and seen a couple of Xylos in city areas. I really doubt the urban/rural argument holds here.

Also, IMO people are not really aware of Market segmentation here in India, as compared to say developed markets. People might not be truly aware of a difference between an SUV, MUV, MAV and what you have. So yes there are chances of a cannibilisation between a scorpio and Xylo. But if check the Xylo thread, most of the respondents have taken a TD of an Innova before they have decided on the Xylo.
Old 31st March 2009, 13:38   #129
BHPian

Nice review there Raj!!

I personally feel that Xylo's design is kind of somewhat unfinished business and Innova looks way better than Xylo, add to that Toyota's service. It makes a lot of sense in Innova. However, Xylo would definitely be a hit in Taxi market, especially in call centers here in Delhi NCR.
Old 20th May 2009, 22:43   #130
Senior - BHPian

This is a widely discussed topic from the day of the launch.First hand point to be noted,
The Innova is a car, The Xylo is a Jeep.
Old 20th May 2009, 23:52   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
This is a widely discussed topic from the day of the launch.First hand point to be noted,
What ever the matter is, I am not going for any argument who is great. But Xylo has shaken the Innova Market. Stringy toyota need to wake up now. How many year will they will sell the same old model in Indian Market.
Old 21st May 2009, 09:15   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
the Xylo is not a jeep! it is a proper MUV. yes, it has origins of a jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
What ever the matter is, I am not going for any argument who is great. But Xylo has shaken the Innova Market. Stringy toyota need to wake up now. How many year will they will sell the same old model in Indian Market.
i had started a thread in this forum before the launch of the xylo about the stinginess of toyota. i adore the innova a lot, but i am suprised how stingy they can be with customers who pay 12 lakhs for the top end innova. i was asked to pay extra Rs. 800 for the mudflaps & Rs. 2000 for the floormats (which is standard in competition's cars). and toyota termed these as 'accessory'. all that i want is toyota offer these basics as standard in their vehicles. the innova GX does not get a music system! its a car costing 10.5 lakhs! they provide 4 speakers but no head unit! what use is the speakers without the head unit?
Old 21st May 2009, 11:33   #133
BANNED

Xylo has dented Innova sales to some extent & will continue to do so till Mahindra keep its price static with respect to Innova's. I think Toyota might cut Innova's price by a small margin or give better schemes/discount to balance sales.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:41   #134
Senior - BHPian

the april sales figures shows xylo sold 3500 units compared to 2800 units of the innova. this is the same car which T-BHP bashed up like anything for its awkward styling. comments were seen that this is a very crude MUV from a tractor making company will not sell even half of what the innova sells!

now what remains to be seen is will the xylo continue to sell like this throughout the year? will it give a tough fight to innova in the times to come? if yes, what does toyota do to make amends? i will be really grateful to mahindra if because of them, toyota slashes the 'ever desirable' innova's price or atleast offer more features or a better engine!
Old 21st May 2009, 12:10   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
But a ~2 lakh feature to feature price difference between the two is a toast to Mahindra's frugal engineering skills. The Japs are going overboard with their Quality-Value equation here. I would have liked Mahindra to spend an extra 1 lakh on the Xylo, give better quality plastics and better NVH levels and still show a 1 lakh deficit to a similarly priced Innova.
Agree, no doubt that xylo is total VFM, no doubts in that and already the figures are showing that, but as said by anthym, would love to see mahindra launch new version of xylo with atleast ABS, better plastic quality and better NHV levels, may be increase till 1L is good with those things rectified and added features, still would be 1L cheaper to innova.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks