Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 20:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Innova V/S Xylo

I have done a small comparo between the Xylo & the innova. i have attached the excel file.
however this is just indicative. it will show the specs but such a comparo will never highlight the reliability of the innova or the poor plastic quality of the xylo!

Pour your comments!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Book3.xls (24.0 KB, 7079 views)

Last edited by raj_5004 : 11th February 2009 at 21:05.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2009, 21:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

While people are going ga ga over the feature rich Xylo I noticed from your comparo chart that most of the features in Xylo are in terms of accessories which can be added separately even in the Innova. However two features which Innova has and can not be added (easily) to Xylo as a retrofitment are the ABS and the Airbags. M&M should have provided these in the top end version, assuming that you have compared the two respective top ends of these vehicles.

Another thing I noticed from this chart is that the Xylo will have a potentially much bumpier ride at the back when compared to the Innova. While in terms of wheelbase the Xylo is just 10 mm more than the Innova, it is a good 60 mm more in terms of length. This points to a much bigger rear overhang in Xylo and thus a more springy, bumpy ride. This is not such a welcome thing, particularly for those who like to travel chauffer class.

The above point coupled with the massive height difference probably also makes it clear why all the initial TDs reported the vehicle to be as happy as a boat in a choppy sea.

Last edited by Zappo : 11th February 2009 at 21:10.
Old 11th February 2009, 21:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good comparision Raj. Innova look overpriced against XYLO. Even I didn't like Innova when it comes to smoothness over 80kmph speed (Diesel Innova) is concerned in comparision with Scorpio/safari/Xylo which are more smooth and more quiet than Diesel Innova.

However Innova is built to last long, luxury interiors, amazing drive (my experience Petrol), best quality.

Xylo lacks quality feel. But considering it takes our bad roads better than Innova in low speed I liked Xylo/Scorpio more than Innova.

On the same hand I love Innova for reliability factor abilty to last long lacs of kilometer trouble free life.

I wish If they launch Premium XYLO with better quality I would buy one else I would settle for Innova.

Regards,

Ravi.

PS Very good Point ZAPPO. Small correction is he compared Innova middle variant and XYLO TOP END I feel.

Last edited by ravibhat : 11th February 2009 at 21:12.
Old 11th February 2009, 21:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Xylo is too narrow and too tall and the less said about looks the better.
Old 11th February 2009, 21:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

point to note here is that i have compared the innova GX with the Xylo E8.

ideally i should have compared the innova base variant 'E' with PS (Rs. 7,87,887) or innova E without PS (Rs.7,57,902) with the xylo E8 (Rs. 7,54,200), atleast price-wise, but comparing the base innova to the top end xylo would have been unfair!

yes, you read it right, the xylo top end is cheaper then innova base variant without even power steering!

while zappo is right that M&M should have provided ABS & airbags, i feel the xylo's ride is not as bumpy as potrayed on this forum. have a look at the ownership report from fellow BHPian 'vinay rathore'. i feel its a complete 'value for money' package, the xylo.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 11th February 2009 at 21:19.
Old 11th February 2009, 21:31   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i feel the xylo's ride is not as bumpy as potrayed on this forum. have a look at the ownership report from fellow BHPian 'vinay rathore'. i feel its a complete 'value for money' package, the xylo.
Could be true. But then my statements were based on
* the figures on the sheet. And the figures say its a heavier car with a big rear overhang and height when compared to the Innova.
* the initial TD reports where people said things like the Xylo sways even when it starts. Now even if some of it was exaggerated still the figures on paper tend to suggest that it may have a good amount of body roll and pitch.

But then as you said, it is possible that the owners may not entirely agree to it or may feel that all that roll and pitch is still very much within controllable limits. Remember though, you may not encounter such behaviour in low speed city traffics. So a new owner may not entirely be sure of such a behaviour till the car has covered a good few thousand kms in all kinds of roads and traffic conditions.
Old 11th February 2009, 21:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Xylo is too narrow and too tall and the less said about looks the better.
Thats more about visual perception than anything. It looks CRAP, I completely agree, but I've sat in one and it's unbelievable how much more spacious they've managed to make it.
Old 11th February 2009, 21:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

There's supposed to be an E10 version out soon. That has the ABS and airbags. I don't know when it will be launched. I guess after the initial hype once sales settle they will introduce this variant.

We can't compare the E8 with the innova V variant as the price difference is 4.5L here and the V is the only one with ABS and airbags.
Old 11th February 2009, 22:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Very nice comparison.
A few points :

1) Xylo is quite high as compared to Innova.
2) Innova has less features, but these features are not likely to make a very marked difference in reality IMO.
3) Some features like parking sensor are really nice touch considering that both are blue whales in city.
4) Obviously, price is the biggest advantage for Xylo. I think this makes the Innova look a bit overpriced.
Old 11th February 2009, 23:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Another thing I noticed from this chart is that the Xylo will have a potentially much bumpier ride at the back when compared to the Innova. While in terms of wheelbase the Xylo is just 10 mm more than the Innova, it is a good 60 mm more in terms of length. This points to a much bigger rear overhang in Xylo and thus a more springy, bumpy ride. This is not such a welcome thing, particularly for those who like to travel chauffer class.
hi zappo, i just know noted that you have got confused somewhere.

the wheelbase of xylo is more than the innova but its the innova which is 60 mm more in length, NOT the xylo.

xylo wheelbase: 2760 mm
innova wheelbase: 2750 mm

xylo length: 4520 mm
innova length: 4580 mm

so according to your post, its the INNOVA which has a larger overhang. xylo is shorter in length plus it has a larger wheelbase.
Old 11th February 2009, 23:45   #11
BHPian

Consider the safety aspect and the xylo would lose the battle.I cannot think the two alike.
Old 12th February 2009, 00:06   #12
BHPian

May be E10 Version will be having all this safety feature/Split Seat/Alloy etc which we are missing with 1 laks extra cost.
Old 12th February 2009, 09:51   #13
jp1
BHPian

Hi Raj, Good comparison and appreciate your effort, should definitely help potential buyers, Even though I never considered Xylo earlier, I am more interested in the vehicle now

But what is surprising is some of the so called experts passing judgement without even going through the specs or even without doing a TD giving lectures about handling problems.
Old 12th February 2009, 09:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice comparison Raj. The top end Xylo also has the "flat bed" option for the front seats which the Innova doesn't. And, IIRC, individual reading lamps for all the passengers (again something the Innova doesn't have).

Last edited by suman : 12th February 2009 at 09:58.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Great job, Raj!
Puts things in perspective. The Xylo, at almost 1.8 lacs cheaper than the comparable Innova, begins to look very very attractive indeed! Surely this kind of price differential will ease the pain of the extra maintenance and upkeep money that the Xylo might ask for! Do you suppose the price difference will still remain meaningful at the end of, say, 200,000 kms or 4 years of usage?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks