Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 21:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I expect the E10 to come with an A/T option as well. And honestly, now that I've had enough close contact with this new car, all I can say is the build quality might be - infact, IS - utter rubbish, but if that isn't a deal breaker then there's no longer any reason to get an Innova over a Xylo. Thats all.
It would be nice to hear why you 'expect' it to come with an autobox!

It'll come with airbags and ABS, by all accounts. But an auto transmission?!

The market for auto transmissions is still very very small in this country!

Strange that Toyota do not offer it in an Innova!
Old 13th February 2009, 02:50   #32
sps
BHPian

A very hot comparison Raj.

Before deciding between Innova and Xylo try to get a long drive it. That will answer all the doubts. The price advantage of Xylo will definitely make one wish that xylo is better or at least equal to innova.

All the points raised here seems to be quite valid, but what really matter is whether the vehicle meets our requirement or not and requirement vary from buyer to buyer.
IMHO accessories like lamp, food tray, in built head unit etc should not be of any concern. Looks are also quite subjective.

I chose innova because of
1. Low ingress (my parents need this)
2. Car like feel. (test drove scorpio with whole family onboard found that it did not meet my requirements, xylo was not launched in december)
3. established toyota quality & reliability
4. was not bold enough to buy a new vehicle. so went with the established one.
Old 13th February 2009, 04:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Try selling that idea to M&M!
They seem to have forsaken their 'roots' when it comes to 4WD options on their vehicles. Not even offered on mHawk yet!
Absolutely.
OT: 4WD option WAS offered only with top variants. I’m referring to Scorpio before mHawk and Bolero before crde. Not sure why this approach with 4WD.
Old 13th February 2009, 07:04   #34
BHPian

Guys, Scorpio is available in mHawk 4wd Automatic version and costs 11.75 lacs ex showroom in Delhi as told to me by the showroom manager.
Old 13th February 2009, 08:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Guys, Scorpio is available in mHawk 4wd Automatic version and costs 11.75 lacs ex showroom in Delhi as told to me by the showroom manager.
Which showroom? Sri Durga or Bhasin?
I seriously doubt this. mHawk, 4WD AND Auto Transmission, all rolled into one?!
Old 13th February 2009, 09:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Which showroom? Sri Durga or Bhasin?
I seriously doubt this. mHawk, 4WD AND Auto Transmission, all rolled into one?!
I was first told this at the auto fair at pragati maidan going on last month and then again at Sri Durga. Even my reaction was the same as you.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:08   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Number comparisons on paper do nothing to indicate the Innova's real strengths i.e. Quality, reliability, durability & great road manners. The Xylo can only dream of matching the Innova on these parameters. Not to say that the Xylo is bad, it is a well-priced MUV that will surely taste success with price sensitive customers & Mahindra's distribution strength. Another perspective : The Xylo is great value in its price band, and the Innova makes a compelling choice for a premium UV. These UVs are made up of anywhere between 7,000 - 10,000 parts. It is safe to assume that the quality of 99% of the Innovas parts are superior to that in the Xylo. And nope, I am not talking stuff that we notice in a test-drive (paint finish, interior plastics etc.). This is the stuff you do NOT see but are working under the hood (components related to the engine, transmission etc. etc.).

Whenever I put my Indigo up on a ramp, I see why she is priced so damn cheap.
Old 13th February 2009, 13:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was first told this at the auto fair at pragati maidan going on last month and then again at Sri Durga. Even my reaction was the same as you.
I have confirmed from Mr. K. K. Chauhan, GM, Works, at Sri Durga and he assures me that such an option is not available!
Old 13th February 2009, 17:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
even i doubt that. M&M will ideally launch the manual mHawk 4x4 first, then the auto. i think that will now take place only after the launch of the new scorpio.
Old 13th February 2009, 17:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Whatever the stage of M&M's learning curve (and sure it is miles behind its competitors), it has a market in India, and Xylo should do reasonably well. It is lower priced (does low price = usual M&M quality is something to guess). Low price=higher quality will be a winner, but unlikely (M&M's learning curve and its management philosphy).

However, to compare it with a sedan is really pushing it too far. By that implication, perhaps, we can forget the Merc (or even a SX4) and buy a Xylo. Really, sedans will still be running long after the Xylo has passed.
Old 13th February 2009, 21:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It would be nice to hear why you 'expect' it to come with an autobox!

It'll come with airbags and ABS, by all accounts. But an auto transmission?!
Expect the unexpected. It will happen.

Quote:
The market for auto transmissions is still very very small in this country!
And why is that a reason for any company to shy away from exploiting an untapped niche which could potentially explode? Doesn't mean no one takes the initiative. Do you mean Hyundai's wasting it's time?

Quote:
mHawk, 4WD AND Auto Transmission, all rolled into one?!
Quote:
I have confirmed from Mr. K. K. Chauhan, GM, Works, at Sri Durga and he assures me that such an option is not available!
It should be out sooner or later.
Old 13th February 2009, 21:49   #42
BHPian

Many people are support of the Toyota. but dont we feel that Innova's price has been tagged higher than it is supposed to be. There is many silly/small thing that is not available in Stingy Toyota Brand. I believe this Innova is running in India from Past 6-8 yrs. But still the there is no change/min Change from the 1st and todays model. How ever XYLO will cut some amount of market from TATA and Toyota.
Old 13th February 2009, 21:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It should be out sooner or later.
Later, yes. Sooner, no.

It's been a year since M&M launched the mHawk; no 4WD yet! This fits into the category of 'later' rather than 'sooner'.
You can make your guesses on when they will give a Xylo with 4WD and an auto transmission.

Quote:
And why is that a reason for any company to shy away from exploiting an untapped niche which could potentially explode? Doesn't mean no one takes the initiative.
They do not answer to your logic. They follow their own.

Why only Hyundai? Maruti also offer autoboxes.
It's a different call when you combine autobox and 4WD!

Last edited by anupmathur : 13th February 2009 at 22:03.
Old 13th February 2009, 22:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Later, yes. Sooner, no.

It's been a year since M&M launched the mHawk; no 4WD yet! This fits into the category of 'later' rather than 'sooner'.
You can make your guesses on when they will give a Xylo with 4WD and an auto transmission.
You seem to be an M&M insider, I admire your confidence

4WD will be out soon. A/T Xylo is something they will have to look at seriously, as the Scorp isn't moving at all.
Old 13th February 2009, 22:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You seem to be an M&M insider, I admire your confidence
Thank you! I'm not really an insider; I'm just chronologically very 'old'!

Most Viewed