Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:37   #181
BHPian

Folks,

Just test drove the Xylo on Sunday. I liked almost everything about the MUV excpet that there was a much noticable roll while driving. Especially while turning, overtaking. This was quite an irritant. Have any of you experienced this? I thought this is because of the height of the vehicle. Is this a known problem with Xylo?

The other thing that I noticed (and did not like) was that there is almost zero space for luggage behind the third row. This was also disappointing as, if we are indeed going for long drives with 6 people then where do we keep the luggage?

Now looking at both the above issues, if I add a luggage rack on top of the vehicle, then will this not furtehr increase the body roll?

Everything else on the test drive was good. I liked the high seating position, the pick up and the drive itself. I have no issues with the quality of the plastics used as I will end up paying about 2 lacs less than the Innova and Mahindra need to compromise somewhere. So all in all, the drive was great.

I am yet to drive the Innova which I intend to do so this week. Any pointers to the above two issues?
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:58   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Folks,

Just test drove the Xylo on Sunday. I liked almost everything about the MUV excpet that there was a much noticable roll while driving. Especially while turning, overtaking. This was quite an irritant. Have any of you experienced this? I thought this is because of the height of the vehicle. Is this a known problem with Xylo?
yes, the xylo does have a certain amount of body roll.

Quote:
The other thing that I noticed (and did not like) was that there is almost zero space for luggage behind the third row. This was also disappointing as, if we are indeed going for long drives with 6 people then where do we keep the luggage?
thats valid for every 8 seater MUV including the innova.

Quote:
Now looking at both the above issues, if I add a luggage rack on top of the vehicle, then will this not furtehr increase the body roll?
yes, it will.

Quote:
Everything else on the test drive was good. I liked the high seating position, the pick up and the drive itself. I have no issues with the quality of the plastics used as I will end up paying about 2 lacs less than the Innova and Mahindra need to compromise somewhere. So all in all, the drive was great.
the part marked in bold- wish everybody understands that!

Quote:
I am yet to drive the Innova which I intend to do so this week. Any pointers to the above two issues?
xylo offers more features than innova & xylo's engine is more responsive. but apart from that, innova leads in every segment. take a test drive & i think you will like the innova more. if you have the budget, go for the innova. just a small advice- avoid the non-ABS innova variant, in other words, if you are buying the innova, buy the top end VX variant.

of course, and toyota is more reliable (and more expensive to maintain) than mahindra.
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:48   #183
BHPian

Thanks Raj.

A question then. The body roll: Has safety been compromised on the Xylo then? The body roll can get scary when you are turning at slightly higher speeds. Is the Xylo built solidly to withstand the forces during a short high speed turn?
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:01   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Raj.

A question then. Is the Xylo built solidly to withstand the forces during a short high speed turn?
Short high speed turns are not advisable on any tall MUV including Xylo & Innova even if they are solidly built. Good Solid build quality has got nothing to do with a vehicles ability to topple over.
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:04   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Raj.

A question then. The body roll: Has safety been compromised on the Xylo then? The body roll can get scary when you are turning at slightly higher speeds. Is the Xylo built solidly to withstand the forces during a short high speed turn?
hi tushar, i do agree that the xylo has a certain degree of body roll but then the scorpio & safari has even more! you see tons of scorpios & safaris on our road. so if driven carefully and within limits, nothing will go wrong. the vehicle will not topple unless the driver does something really crazy.

in general, xylo's sheet metal is much more tougher than innova's. innova is really very 'soft' & the panels can easily bend even with a hard punch from human fist. some say that the xylo lacks side impact beams, i have not verified this though. both the xylo & innova has ABS & airbags.

if you ask me, if i have a good driver, i will feel more safer in a xylo than a innova. in case of a crash, i feel the xylo will be in a better shape than a innova.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 2nd March 2010 at 18:06.
Old 2nd March 2010, 18:10   #186
BHPian

One of my neighbours is a taxi fleet operator..has Innovas and a Xylo

What he said was that people get more sick in a Xylo than in an Innova.
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:46   #187
Senior - BHPian

People who feel sick in tall MUVs are the same people who feel sick and throw up during bus journeys.

If you enjoy bus journeys, the Xylo should be a breeze.
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:17   #188
BHPian

hi Raj, just wanted to know - Does the scorpio has a higher amount of body roll compaired to the Xylo, i mean the refreshed new scorpio?? Thanx.
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:31   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
People who feel sick in tall MUVs are the same people who feel sick and throw up during bus journeys.

If you enjoy bus journeys, the Xylo should be a breeze.

Xylo has significant more roll than a bus... A bus might have high c&g but Xylo has more bouncy suspension and significant more body roll..
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:00   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
hi Raj, just wanted to know - Does the scorpio has a higher amount of body roll compaired to the Xylo, i mean the refreshed new scorpio?? Thanx.
yes, i feel the scorpio refresh has more or atleast the same amount of body roll as in the xylo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Xylo has significant more roll than a bus... A bus might have high c&g but Xylo has more bouncy suspension and significant more body roll..
nah, i dont think so. a bus has much more roll. its just that xylos travel faster in corners thus causing more roll whereas bus drivers slow down in corners.
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:07   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
One of my neighbours is a taxi fleet operator..has Innovas and a Xylo

What he said was that people get more sick in a Xylo than in an Innova.
Well, I have to tell you this. I had landed in the IGI airport sometime in the morning. My family had come to pick me up in a taxi - a Scorpio. Was my first time inside a Scorpio and it made me puke. I was already tired from a 13 hr air travel and the scorpio (2.6 crde) was rocking and rolling like a boat even on a straight highway stretch. It really has average dynamics.

Because of this incident there is no love lost between me & the Scorp
Even a brand new Scorpio in my stable (bought clandestinely by my family) has not been able to change my perception towards it.
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:49   #192
BHPian

Quote:
piyush78
I bought a scorpio SLE recently (1st week of Feb'10) after test driving both the Xylo and the scorpio. Both me and my family felt that body roll in the scorpio was much much less than the Xylo. The ODO is close to 1000 kms now and this includes two long distance trips (150+kms in a day) in the Scorpio and I still stand by that opinion.

Ofcourse I have neither driven nor traveled in a old scorpio's (prior to refresh). My reference point is my own vehicle.
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:14   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Well, I have to tell you this. I had landed in the IGI airport sometime in the morning. My family had come to pick me up in a taxi - a Scorpio. Was my first time inside a Scorpio and it made me puke. I was already tired from a 13 hr air travel and the scorpio (2.6 crde) was rocking and rolling like a boat even on a straight highway stretch. It really has average dynamics.

Because of this incident there is no love lost between me & the Scorp
Even a brand new Scorpio in my stable (bought clandestinely by my family) has not been able to change my perception towards it.
Well, taxi drivers can make the best of them rock & roll! Add jet lag & jet turbulence as a warm up, and the situation is just right for a throw up
Anyway, I think this is a thread for Innova vs Xylo, somehow an additional beast got dragged in
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:57   #194
BHPian

I recently did a Pune-Mumbai in a Xylo and returned in an Innova. While Xylo went over the pothole/speed breakers like a breeze, it pitched a lot during braking and overall the whole family came out scared from the Xylo. Which wasnt the case on return. The Innova, which was older, behaved better in terms of overall comfort, though the potholes thudded inside the cabin. Innova works better overall.
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:04   #195
Senior - BHPian

My extended family got a new Xylo E4 and following are some of my observations:

1) The plastic quality is pretty poor and internal the door opening levers have rough edges which has bits of plastic sticking out. The Innova has much better plastics.
2) The typical Scorpio tendency to roll and bounce has been carried over to the Xylo as well. The Innova is much better composed.
3) Cabin height seemed to be much more than the Innova.
4) Vibrations on the gear lever a lot more than on the Innova.
5) Turbo kick quite good for quick acceleration.
6) Just not as classy as the Innova
7) But at 7.5 lacs on road pretty good value.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks