Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2005, 15:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Should Hyundai launch the 1.3 Accent?

Given Hyundai's poor performance on the sales charts, especially in the C-segment offerings (Accent and Elantra), Hyundai really needs to buck up.

One option that i thought they could exercise would be to launch a stripped down 1.3 litre Accent (engine from the Getz). With 82 bhp on tap, it wouldn't be a slouch. At the same time, it should give the likes of Ford Ikon Flair a run for their money. Note, Hyundai does sell a 1.3 Accent in Europe.

Meanwhile it can also reposition the price of Getz, making it more competitive with the Indica/Palio/Swift category. What say?

Revv
Old 30th April 2005, 15:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Prima facie it seems a good suggestion. However Hyundai has played up the 'burra shab' syndrome a bit too much with its cars. Wonder if they will be able to justify any more marketing campaign to sell the higher end versions of the Accent. People may just flock to the 1.3 in droves, leaving the higher capacity cars with no takers.

The Getz would be taking on the Swift when the latter arrives. I dont think comparisons to the Palio are fair because nation wide the Palio does not sell. There is no idea on how the Swift will be positioned so I think comparing the Getz to it is not possible now.

The Indica is the best in the diesel segment. Dont see how it even figures.
Old 30th April 2005, 15:55   #3
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like a good idea on paper but in the real world where the 1.5litre engine is so sluggish, I can't imagine the car with 1.3litre engine. But for the badi gaadi image, it should do well. But then wouldn't it cannibalise the Getz's sales ?
Old 30th April 2005, 16:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Don't think Hyundai will sell Accent with 1.3L engine. I read in ACI that they will bring in the 2006 model which is the 3rd generation Accent soon but with thw same engine as now.
Old 30th April 2005, 16:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

totally with rjk on this..the 1.5 SOHC and the DOHC itself are so so so slow...cannot even imagine 1.3l....maybe a 1.8l would be better!!
Old 30th April 2005, 17:05   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For reasons more than one, A pro-active car company will think about introducing the latest gen of their product rather than flog an outdated model at lower prices and smaller engines.

I think of Hyundai as very pro-active manufacturer within the Indian car scene. And think that they will focus on the new Accent instead.

GTO

P.S. Why on earth are they waiting till the end of 2006 to launch the new Accent?
Old 30th April 2005, 17:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

maybe they want to cash in on the getz and the tucson till then..
Old 30th April 2005, 18:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
Given Hyundai's poor performance on the sales charts, especially in the C-segment offerings (Accent and Elantra), Hyundai really needs to buck up.

One option that i thought they could exercise would be to launch a stripped down 1.3 litre Accent (engine from the Getz). With 82 bhp on tap, it wouldn't be a slouch. At the same time, it should give the likes of Ford Ikon Flair a run for their money. Note, Hyundai does sell a 1.3 Accent in Europe.

Meanwhile it can also reposition the price of Getz, making it more competitive with the Indica/Palio/Swift category. What say?

Revv
For one, I do not think Hyundai's doing as badly on the sales charts as is being made out in this post. Yes they are probaly doing only as well as they did a couple of years ago on the Accent and the Santro, but thats natural with an ageing model - the increase in sales is only reflected in their exports, because if you consider exports they've increased sales 37% over the last year whereas without the exports they've remained almost stationary with a 9% increase. If I'm not mistaken they are doing better than Ford (always did, except for the first year when people bought the Josh story) in that category.

Unlike other manufacturers they havent resorted to price cuts and downgrades to push their products, so I assume they will come up with the new Accent sooner than later instead of pushing old products with smaller engines.
Old 30th April 2005, 22:57   #9

well as far as the new accent goes i don't think they have any plans for that this year, recently spoke to 4 big dealerships and all of them state that as of yet no plans for the new accent. maybe it will come in next year but going by hyundai standards i think it won't be long before they will launch a revamped accent.
Old 30th April 2005, 23:12   #10
BANNED

Then The Accent will reach 100 in some 17secs as it will translate to less then 70 horses on road. Idea seems to be good. But the price is most important as the Esteem will also be coming at a cheaper price and Esteem aint a slouch any time. I would recommend the Elantra to be reborn in 1.6 version.
Old 30th April 2005, 23:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang
well as far as the new accent goes i don't think they have any plans for that this year, recently spoke to 4 big dealerships and all of them state that as of yet no plans for the new accent. maybe it will come in next year but going by hyundai standards i think it won't be long before they will launch a revamped accent.
Hyundai dealerships either do not know about the company's product launch dates or do a damn good job of concealing what they know. I bought my GLS just a month or so before the Viva was launched and the dealer said he wouldnt have had any issues telling me if he had known since the Viva was priced higher and I was a confirmed customer.

Even if they have no plans currently I think they would be pushed to an early launch by the market...they are not Ford to keep pushing an ageing model.

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th April 2005 at 23:50.
Old 1st May 2005, 00:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24
I read in ACI that they will bring in the 2006 model which is the 3rd generation Accent soon but with thw same engine as now.

The 2006 Accent will have a VVTi engine with 110+ bhp.

IMO Hyundai will never get a 1.3 Accent in India.
Old 1st May 2005, 00:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would recommend the Elantra to be reborn in 1.6 version.
then it would kill accent!
Old 1st May 2005, 03:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken they are doing better than Ford (always did, except for the first year when people bought the Josh story) in that category.
Check this year's SIAM's C-segment sales chart. While Hyundai took a 12.82% share of the market in the C-segment (Accent), Ford took a 13.88%. No, Hyundai isn't doing very badly, but by their own usual standards they are. Their growth has suddenly slowed down, far more over the previous years. Yes, it can be attributed to production snafus and Export commitments, figures still don't lie. They are losing marketshare to their competitors in the C-segment. Ageing models or not.

Getting back to the original thread opener, pushing a 1.3 Accent is only an idea. It can work as a stopgap till the new Accent arrives. It probably doesn't tickle the enthusiast in us, but for those looking for a slightly plush option in the entry-level C-segment category or those in the rental fleet companies looking for something similar other than the usual Indigo/Ikon 1.3/Esteem, it could bring some volumes to Hyundai.

Quote:
But then wouldn't it cannibalise the Getz's sales ?
Which is why RJ, i mentioned, correcting the Getz price is essential to make way for such an option.

Quote:
Then The Accent will reach 100 in some 17secs as it will translate to less then 70 horses on road.
Maybe you are underestimating the engine a bit too much. It does produce 82bhp, there is no need to detune it. Besides i think 17 seconds is a bit too slow. A time of 15 odd seconds is quite possible. Even that i think is a conservative estimate. Since Top Gear did a 0-62mph timing on the 1.3 Accent at 12.9 seconds. Considering our climes, fuel quality and engine tuning, a late 13, early 14 seconder is quite achievable. That puts it head-on with the 1.3 NXT in terms of straight line performance.

Revv
Old 1st May 2005, 08:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Launching the ROCAM 1.3 version of Ikon has revitalized the product big time. Its almost a new beginning for the Ikon. Its a combination of a good engine, fuel efficient and great price.

There is no reason Hyundai can't recreate the same magic with the Accent 1.3. 82 bhp is plenty for most people out there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks