Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 23:48   #16
BHPian

If they get the pricing right i think it is going to be a winner like the octy . I wish they'd launch the Skoda Rs.
Old 17th February 2009, 00:49   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Same question as Viddy's - which 1.9 motor is this? Judging from Skoda's historical decisions-making, we shouldnt be surprised if this is the motor from the Octavia

Last edited by theMAG : 17th February 2009 at 00:52.
Old 17th February 2009, 02:17   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
But knowing Skoda, they might very well pitch it against the Civic and Corolla with a punchline "Czech mate you Japs!"
Good one there fountainheader.
Old 17th February 2009, 02:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

That's the exact thing I wrote a few days ago. That engine is what skoda needs with a price in SRV territory. They also need to make some changes in the top management to get the right results.

Writing off a brand is the last thing we Indians should do looking at Fiat right now and chevrolet during their initial years in India. Even Skoda had a roll.
Old 17th February 2009, 09:56   #20
BHPian

Spotted a Fabia with all the batches covered in pune near symbiosis. I was wondering why it was covered and now I have the answers :-)

The most hilarious thing is this car suddenly became dead on middle of a symbi chowk ( Very heavy traffic ) and the two guys were trying push it to corner.

(Somehow created bad impression on me. )
Old 17th February 2009, 10:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Spotted a Fabia with all the batches covered in pune near symbiosis. I was wondering why it was covered and now I have the answers :-)

The most hilarious thing is this car suddenly became dead on middle of a symbi chowk ( Very heavy traffic ) and the two guys were trying push it to corner.

(Somehow created bad impression on me. )
German reliability at its best . I hope this is not a trailer of things to come. Skoda had displayed an LHD Fabia 1.9 Tdi at the Autocar show in Mumbai saying its the Fabia Sport. The guy at the stall had mentioned they are launching it soon. This must be the same model then.
Old 17th February 2009, 10:44   #22
BHPian

Ideally they should price the 1.9 at the existing 1.4 motor prices.
And then, reduce the prices of the 1.4 by 1+ lakh rupees.
If only they took advice from me !
Old 17th February 2009, 12:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well it's deffinately gonna be the 1.9 PD engine used in Laura. All around the globe they are selling the Fabia with the 1.9 PD engine. The 1.9 90bhp Octavia engine is rarely being used anywhere in their range now.
Price point of view its surely gonna be anywhere between 10-10.5L on road.
Even the present Fabia (diesel/petrol) is being assembled here, with every smallest of part being an import, from bolts to bigger panels. No wonder the price is so high.
Now only if they start localising some parts here can expect the price to come down until then there is no scope for it.

The one displayed at the Autocar performance show also had 1.9 Tdi PD engine with same specs as laura.
Old 17th February 2009, 12:35   #24
BHPian

Even the present Fabia (diesel/petrol) is being assembled here, with every smallest of part being an import, from bolts to bigger panels. No wonder the price is so high.

I didn't quite get this, i read somewhere last year(maybe on this forum) that skoda cars would be highly localized(parts i mean), if that does happen prices should go down drastically
To the experts, What do you think the price should be, I don't mean from skodas perspective, From the perspective of a customer.
Old 17th February 2009, 12:37   #25
BHPian

Its great that they intend on launching a 1.9 engine in the Fabia. the current engine is woefully underpowered and noisy too. my only concern is a 1.9 engine does not traslate directly into a hot hatch. this could just be another of those effiecient motors with a really smooth engine. that would be good news too.

when they pop that 1.8 turbo engine from the VRS into the fabia that is when it will become a hot hatch.

looks like things are hotting up in the hatch segment, maybe they are timing the launch to coincide with the Fiat Grande Punto launch. then it will be the war of the poor A S S 's
Old 17th February 2009, 15:45   #26
BHPian

If I recall correctly, Nov 2008, Autocar issue had an article mentioning expected launches in 2009 and it had mentioned that Fabia is expected with 1.9 PD engine and as someone reported that they had exhibited Fabia with 1.9 PD, I fully agree with Invinsible that it should be coming with 1.9 PD.

However, from what I have read, PD engines are also getting replaced by CRDi in VW group so may be they want to sell out as many PD kits as they can to recover their R& D cost and make some profit before they discontinue it.

@Invinsible- OT- you have a souped up Fabia almost as fast as the new 1.9 PD (stock) may be (105bhp). Would you consider or recommend a exchange soon after the launch of 1.9 PD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Well it's deffinately gonna be the 1.9 PD engine used in Laura. All around the globe they are selling the Fabia with the 1.9 PD engine. The 1.9 90bhp Octavia engine is rarely being used anywhere in their range now.

The one displayed at the Autocar performance show also had 1.9 Tdi PD engine with same specs as laura.

Last edited by shatrughna : 17th February 2009 at 15:46. Reason: spell check
Old 17th February 2009, 17:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
However, from what I have read, PD engines are also getting replaced by CRDi in VW group so may be they want to sell out as many PD kits as they can to recover their R& D cost and make some profit before they discontinue it.

@Invinsible- OT- you have a souped up Fabia almost as fast as the new 1.9 PD (stock) may be (105bhp). Would you consider or recommend a exchange soon after the launch of 1.9 PD.

Uptil now VW/SKoda has switched their 2.0L TDI PD to a 2.0L TDI CR with common rail injection. I doubt they are going to change their 1.9 TDI PD to CRDi form any sooner. I did some research on these and found out that PD engines have better low -mid range torque as compared to TDI CR engines (CRDi). A PD engine has fuel pressure upto 2200bar compared to the low 1850 pressure of CRDi.

As I said I have always preferred to have petrol cars than the Diesel ones. But driving a remapped Fabia with torque of 240NM translates into great driving pleasure on the highway. Overtaking is a breeze without a downshift. All this has changed the way I use to look at the Diesel cars.
I would anyday prefer having fabia 1.9 and soup it up to produce 200bhp with more than 300lb-ft of torque and still get 50MPG. I like the comfort, cozyness, ride and the way the car handles at the high speeds for its size. A 1.9PD will have a better topend than the 1.4, afterall a 1.4 is nothing but 1.9 minus 1 cylinder. they share the same block, bore and stroke. If one is looks for sheer acceleration and great highway cruising 1.9PD is the one to have. Or 1.4TDI with a remap would do a great job.
I guess am addicted to the diesel torque. Truly enjoy this car more than the honda, hyundai, toyota we have in the family.

Last edited by Invinsible : 17th February 2009 at 17:10.
Old 17th February 2009, 18:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Considering the past i really doubt the optimism of my fellow bhpians. Skoda and pricing there car at a reasonable is a dream which cant come true. Examples- Octavia,Laura,Fabia 1.4. Do expect the 1.9 at around 8-9lac range.
Old 18th February 2009, 09:51   #29
BANNED

Given all the benefits of PD over CR one must take into account two factors:

1. VW are discontinuing work on PD. So their future is nor CR. while it is true PD can have higher injection pressure apparently the number of injections per stroke are lower.

2. PD while having a higher output has more NVH. As it is a Fabia 1.9 will be a road rocket. Add a Pete's box and you are in heaven.

On the balance I will prefer the CR!
Old 18th February 2009, 10:48   #30
BHPian

So, finally we will have a second Hatch above 10 Lacs; after Fiat 500!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks