Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2009, 14:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I'd choose the Alto still. Estilo is too feminine.
Exactly my point. If there is a lady driver driving around in city then go for Estilo else Alto anytime.
I own an Alto and I drove a friend's Estilo but didnt find the driver comfort.

If you ask me, at that budget you should never think, simply go and pick the Alto. It will never let you down.

Abhi
Old 19th February 2009, 14:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Exactly my point. If there is a lady driver driving around in city then go for Estilo else Alto anytime.
I own an Alto and I drove a friend's Estilo but didnt find the driver comfort.

If you ask me, at that budget you should never think, simply go and pick the Alto. It will never let you down.

Abhi
I think its more than just lady driver v/s man driver thing.

IMO We need to be more realistic here. Alto struggles with A/C on and the 3-pot motor vibrates like hell. Not to talk about the cramped space at the back and almost non-existent boot space. In comparison the Estilo is not only more powerful, its much more spacious and has a much bigger boot. Although the plastic quality is bad, but still better than the Alto. Yes, the only area where an Alto beats the Estilo or for that matter any other tall boy (WR/Santro/i10) hands down is handing and marginally higher FE. But for purely city driving its not much of a problem anyway.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Estilo doesn't look that bad in black
Old 19th February 2009, 16:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I think its more than just lady driver v/s man driver thing.
It was purely my opinion. I know no car is launched in the market to cater for genders anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
IMO We need to be more realistic here. Alto struggles with A/C on and the 3-pot motor vibrates like hell. Not to talk about the cramped space at the back and almost non-existent boot space. In comparison the Estilo is not only more powerful, its much more spacious and has a much bigger boot. Although the plastic quality is bad, but still better than the Alto. Yes, the only area where an Alto beats the Estilo or for that matter any other tall boy (WR/Santro/i10) hands down is handing and marginally higher FE. But for purely city driving its not much of a problem anyway.
I have an Alto. Had it vibrated with AC on, I could not have done such huge distance with full AC and high speeds and with 4 adults.

Request you to pls dont term the boot space of Alto as non existent (atleast when you are comparing with another small car). If you check my Goa log(i think i posted a pic there with the load in the boot). It carries similar load in all my long trips.

Coming to FE, still it will give 2-3kmpl more in city than Estilo.

From my experience, I am 95kg/6footer and I keep on driving Alto nonstop for 12-14hours without even feeling cramped.

Abhi
Old 19th February 2009, 16:26   #20
BHPian

I think Alto is a better option. I have not heard good reviews of the Zen Estilo. It has comparatively lower mileage and performance. Alto is the best city commuter that delivers awesome performance and impressive fuel efficiency.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Estilo is any day a better option. Its next segment car (1.1). I chose it over even Santro/Wagon-R. I did not even consider an Alto. Though mine is an VXi variant which has so many features like E-OVRM, rear de-fogger, fog-lamps, tacho, all 4 Power Windows and so on. Some of features are not there even in 4-5 lakhs hatches.

I bought it for mixed use of me and my wife. After having driven long cars for last 6 years. Initially I was embarrassed a bit driving a so called feminine car.

But as the days progressed, (it has been 1 month and 5 days), I rarely take out Civic, sometimes once in a week. Now, I least care what others think about it.

It is so easy to drive, park. I am just loving it.

Regards,
MG

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 19th February 2009 at 16:36.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
again, zen is available at a discounted price of rs 2.63 lakh (including discounts and exchange bonus) for the estilo LX model.

dos the car deserve to succeed now? or will people still go on for alto?

also, getz prices have come down by 30,000-40,000 for petrol varents.

the base 1.1 getz GLE now comes at 3,59,000 ex-delhi.
Add few grands and you can migrate to better Spark. A better car compared to both Alto and Zen. Complete value for money. Spark base model (without PS) on road will cost you around 2.8. I agree bit on higher side but do you get to buy cars daily. Then why not buy a technologically superior car and trust me its comfortable too.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have an Alto. Had it vibrated with AC on, I could not have done such huge distance with full AC and high speeds and with 4 adults.

Request you to pls dont term the boot space of Alto as non existent (atleast when you are comparing with another small car). If you check my Goa log(i think i posted a pic there with the load in the boot). It carries similar load in all my long trips.

From my experience, I am 95kg/6footer and I keep on driving Alto nonstop for 12-14hours without even feeling cramped.

Abhi
Drive an Estillo for the same distance & load and your views will change

Why I say so? That engine is a Gem, looks of the car not withstanding at that price I would add some more & buy the Estillo LXi for sure even if I hate the looks
Old 19th February 2009, 16:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for not making myself clear. I was referring to vibrations in gear lever and steering at idle. FYI we have 2 Altos in the family and have observed this in both, together with high engine noise (even when compared to very unrefined WagonR engine).

Quote:

Abhi
I don't know, maybe its just me, but i do find Alto's boot to be small. Specially in comparison to Estilo. But yes one small car that takes the cake for having the most disappointing boot space is the A-Star.

Regarding driving comfort, I personally prefer a tall boy to a low slung car. Advantages being better visibility and ease of egress and ingress. Also, i have noticed my knee touching the dashboard while in Alto's driver seat, not so with the Estilo.

Though not to take anything away from Alto for being a highly fuel efficient, reliable car with a fantastic AC, backed up by legendary Maruti A.S.S. !

Last edited by DCEite : 19th February 2009 at 16:42.
Old 19th February 2009, 16:51   #25
Team-BHP Support

I carpool with my colleague who has an Estilo LXi. One week his car, next week mine. I drive all the time whether his or mine.

Estilo has a good engine, performance and refinement wise. Doesn't struggle as much as the Alto.

So which one would I pick? I prefer my Alto. The handling is to die for and I just have to push it that much more which I don't mind. The handling is just too irresistible and you can throw the car around and not worry a bit. Estilo at 80kmph is scary. My friend closes his eyes whenever I change lanes in the Estilo but does not worry in the Alto. There is one superb curve and U-turn which the Alto takes easily. The Estilo is usually on 3 wheels at slower speeds during the U-turn.

Practicality, space wise Estilo wins, but I prefer handling/fun to drive anyday over practicality.

Put a FFE and a K&N and the Alto will keep up with a 1.1 Alto and WagonR easily and over corners even pass the tall boys.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th February 2009 at 16:52.
Old 19th February 2009, 17:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

To add to the Estilo's list - i think the interiors of the car are much better than the dull and boring grey plastic in the Alto

but then, if you enjoy your driving - Alto it is..so it all boils down to ones requirement
Old 19th February 2009, 18:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Put a FFE and a K&N and the Alto will keep up with a 1.1 Alto and WagonR easily and over corners even pass the tall boys.
I really doubt this(wrt Alto 1.1), having extensively driven the Alto 1.1 & 0.8
Old 19th February 2009, 18:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Abhi
I also drive an Alto (Lxi) daily (to work). Have owned it for close to 3 years now. I can honestly say that it does vibrate (can feel it on the gear lever) with AC ON. The power drops so much that it becomes almost an apple cart. I drove my sister's Estilo and both these problems arent as much noticeable in that car. Alto also has very short gears (needs very frequent gear changes in city drive) and the stick is generations old (problems engaging gears). Estilo's stick is much slicker.

On the other side, the pros of Alto are - very nimble power steering (missing in Estilo for same budget), very good city car for 2 people (rear seat is just for pets!), FE as good as some diesels (I get 17-18 without AC, 14 with AC), cheap spares and service, decent looks etc.
Old 19th February 2009, 18:50   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I really doubt this(wrt Alto 1.1), having extensively driven the Alto 1.1 & 0.8
That was a typo. I meant 1.1 WagonR and Estilo. 1.1 Alto is what dreams were made of. How I wish it were still available.

The Alto 0.8 with a K&N and FFE will definitely keep up with the WagonR and Estilo but only when there are corners. Straightline, the 0.8 Alto will be left behind.
Old 19th February 2009, 19:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.1 Alto is what dreams were made of. How I wish it were still available.
My dad still has one(VXi, Spin model) & all attempts for exchanging my Alto with his Alto have been futile :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks