Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 15:15   #121
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

great research from so many guys on this thread - thanks from all of us who are interested in this vehicle!

yes I agree this vehicle will probably be at least 16-18-19 for the 2 litre Diesel version with all Bells and Whistles - it simply cant come at any less unless Skoda takes a serious step towards starting a price war or something. and frankly the top end version will be the only one really worth having - all the rest will simply be pretenders to the throne - albeit less expensive.

I say this only because a really enthusiastic owner would enjoy using all that technology on outstation trips and holidays - the poseur on the other hand I guess would put greater weightage on getting the same outer shell and facade.

but to each his own i guess - and anyway at such high prices, the number of takers will be under some constraints.

all said and done I think it is a fantastic vehicle and I would eagerly wait to see them in showrooms soon!
Old 5th January 2010, 15:28   #122
BANNED

hi
ive put some thoughts next to your comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For that matter if the 1.2TSI provides a FE of about 10-13 in the city and about 17 on the highway, its not a bad option for folks who go out on the highways once in 2-3 months.
I d still consider petrol to be an expensive fuel for the requirement as defined above. People still do tend to think twice before buzzing off on long trips in their petrol vehicles when compared to those who have Diesel vehicles.
For example an SUV enthusiast who does about 1500-1800 kms per month average including city and out-station trips and at the same time keeps an eye on his pocket, would probably opt for a Brand new less expensive Diesel SUV or even an used upper-segment Diesel SUV because he may not be able to afford the high asking price of the Skoda top end Diesel! I m reasonably sure he wont consider the Petrol option at all on account of the recurring fuel costs.

PLUS count all the comforts of an SUV with good agility in the city. Yes this is bang on.

Just trying to present the case for a 1.2 TSI option. There may be takers, who would like to graduate from hatchbacks to a smaller SUVs.

I am not quite sure how many people who are actually driving hatchbacks at the present moment and who want to graduate to a "smaller SUV", will actually be able to afford the Skoda prices - in India Skoda signifies entry level luxury and is priced accordingly. I mean to say that not everyone can afford the semi-quantum leap from a Rs 5-6 lac hatch to a 13-14 lac SUV.

Most people graduate step by step I think - but this is certainly a viable option for SUV enthusiasts (with the cash) who may be wishing to upgrade from their current 8-10 lac priced Sedans and 9-11 lac priced Indian made SUV's to one with an International pedigree at about 14-15 lacs. The leap, per se, will still be expensive! EMI payout - 3 year option will be a large sum - even the 5 year option will be considerable. Mostly because most cars are anyway bought on loan and the max one gets in hand from the sale of most types of cars post-loan foreclosure would be about 2 lacs odd - and its not everyone who can casually bung in another 2-3 lacs more and make a 5-6 lac down-payment in order to reduce the loan amount being taken for a 14-16 -18 lac vehicle!

Then again the question remains about the fuel used for TSI engines. I had asked the same in a different post. Skoda recommends 95 Octane fuel, which is not available in India. How are TSI engine owners bearing with this?
This is an interesting point - would love to have some inputs on this from the experts!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th January 2010 at 15:33.
Old 6th January 2010, 09:35   #123
BHPian

Here is a HD video of Yeti -
Old 6th January 2010, 11:47   #124
BHPian

looks like its a bit shorter in stance than a vitara also.potentially can attain a state of palio(despite beinga a good car.palio had the problem of being fiat also slightly overpriced)
Old 6th January 2010, 12:11   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinadha View Post
looks like its a bit shorter in stance than a vitara also.potentially can attain a state of palio(despite beinga a good car.palio had the problem of being fiat also slightly overpriced)
Dimensionally Yeti is much bigger then Palio. You can compare it with Tuscon or GV.
Old 6th January 2010, 17:49   #126
BHPian

nope its not about dimensions ,i wanted to say that its a good car like palio which could not click probably because of the company mismanagement and incorrect pricing.i feel tucson released in the market at a wrong period .

Last edited by trinadha : 6th January 2010 at 17:51. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 6th January 2010, 18:36   #127

The SUV looks weird esp. the rear windows, they're a bit too long!

I like the open top version!
Skoda plans to bring Yeti to life in India!-0509_zskoda_yeti_convertiblerear_right.jpg
Old 6th January 2010, 19:58   #128

This is a fabulous car. I waited 6 months for the release but gave up when I heard it will release at the end of 2010 and will be priced like Laura.
We surely need more compact SUVs for Indian roads. The Toyota RAV 4 will do well here.
Old 6th January 2010, 21:02   #129

Just heard that this will be costing around 22 lacs ex-showroom!

Can someone confirm this?
Old 7th January 2010, 00:32   #130
Senior - BHPian

I had an email from Skoda, when I had enquired about it couple of weeks back stating that it would be available around june/july. The one launched is a fully loaded version with 4wheel drive, all the features, dsg gearbox, 17" alloys and others and I suppose will be priced around 17-18L. This was told to me by one of the sales and marketing executive working with Skoda who happens to know a common friend. Petrol version will be launched by end of the year.

Last edited by Invinsible : 7th January 2010 at 00:34.
Old 7th January 2010, 08:18   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I suppose will be priced around 17-18L. This was told to me by one of the sales and marketing executive working with Skoda who happens to know a common friend.
yeah, and at that price its gonna flop worse than their Fabia. Have they any idea about what Fortuner, a much bigger, proper SUV costs?
Old 7th January 2010, 11:43   #132
BANNED

Some thoughts on compact SUV type vehicles:
The Skoda Yeti is built on the Octavia platform I believe - therefore it will be dimensionally comparable to the Tucson & Grand Vitara - possibly X-Trail as well.

There is no doubt that the most desirable version for any Urban+ Wild SUV type vehicle enthusiast would be the 4x4 Diesel 2 litre TDI/PD with hill descent control and all the bells and whistles but equally it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that the price will be high - atleast 16-18 L - hope that Skoda comes up with a BIG surprise price though!! No harm in dreaming I suppose! I like Skoda's solid build and would consider this vehicle most certainly!

The Tucson frankly was released at a time when there was really no competitor to it-
since Honda buyers/aspirants are not going to settle for a Hyundai as has been proven over the last few years.

Again I say that if the Tucson is indigenized further they can drop the price and make it a really VFM proposition - a compact 4WD Diesel SUV with good Crdi engine and versatile abilities!

Hope the Vitara gets indigenized and the price drops - hope also that they work with VW on some excellent Diesel engine technology and provide us with a Diesel GV soon!

Even the Forester was released at the wrong time and priced high (6 years ago Rs 13 lacs was certainly a lot of money for a car)- imagine the Forester with its AWD coming in with the Optra Magnum TCDi engine - that would be a good option for us guys and would have neatly occupied the segment below the current Captiva!

Captiva's expensive price for the VCDi LTZ 4x4 is a bit of a deterrent. The 2WD version of Captiva in my opinion is not so hot, because it is a front wheel drive vehicle. I think the Fortuner is a better bet at roughly the same prices because of Toyota's proven SUV DNA and its fulltime 4WD.

If the Premier Rio had been better built, slightly roomier, had a 4WD option and a bigger, better, more efficient engine, then perhaps it would have answered a lot of questions better than it has already!

I think their ad is interesting and in my opinion well positioned as an "aspiration driven" vehicle for youngsters with shallower pockets which atleast provides an option to those who would normally have to settle for a conventional hatchback runabout!

The Toyota RAV4 - if they would be kind enough to bring it in, could be positioned neatly around the base level Innova/ Corolla Altis. Since the pricing will thus be considerably below the Fortuner it will suddenly feed that hungry segment of SUV enthusiasts who want a small, high quality, compact 4WD with tough/ reliable build and versatile capability, and which segment is currently dominated by Scorpio and Safari!

Else as mentioned in other threads - if Fiat Sedici or SX4 Hatch would land up with 4x4 and a Diesel mill OR if the Renault Koleos would come in soon OR if the Sandero Hatch would land with 4x4 and Diesel, only then will people who desire a smaller, compact SUV type beast which is priced reasonably, have some choice at least!
Old 7th January 2010, 13:25   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Else as mentioned in other threads - if Fiat Sedici or SX4 Hatch would land up with 4x4 and a Diesel mill OR if the Renault Koleos would come in soon OR if the Sandero Hatch would land with 4x4 and Diesel, only then will people who desire a smaller, compact SUV type beast which is priced reasonably, have some choice at least!
Looks like SX4 wagon version is on cards. If they can retain the original 4X4 ability of the hatch and launch with a diesel engine, it is worth even 12+ lakhs.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:19   #134
BANNED

Suzuki are having massive difficulties in even fulfilling SX4 AT - add to this the fact that they are unable to source enough numbers of Fiat Diesel engines owing to inadequate production capacity - do you really think they will bring in this variant in the near future?

I d say they will delay the launch till these issues get settled.

In ref pricing, if the regular normal SX4 ZXi AT is at approx 9.6 lacs, given the size of the SX4 Hatch albeit with Diesel and 4x4, I would say they should price it more competitively, in line with the middle order Scorpio/Safari - around 10 lacs max - then it will really be worth it.

So lets look at some indicative segmentation based on the On Road prices Bangalore - see below and Im sure you will agree there are sizeable empty spaces which can be occupied neatly by some new entrants into the fray!

Luxe Segment:
any way this segment is pretty well stocked with options and is rather beyond the reach of the majority so ignore it for the time being.

Upper Segment:
Honda CRV - 29 L - has 4WD - Only Petrol driven.
Nissan X Trail - 25-29 L
Fortuner - 23-24 L- has 4WD
Captiva LTZ 4WD - 23-24L - has 4WD
Mitsubishi Outlander - 24L - has 4WD - Only Petrol driven.
Grand Vitara - 24L - has 4WD - Only Petrol driven.

Old Gen Pajero - 22-24 L - has 4WD (maybe the time has come to reduce the old gen Pajero's prices further and move it down into the next lower slot to compete with Yeti etc.)

There is a slot here which can be plugged by say a Toyota 4Runner or something of the kind unless VW can bring in its Tiguan at this kind of price and offer an alternative to the Yeti.

Mid-Upper Segment
Tucson - 18L - has 4WD
Expected to arrive:
Skoda Yeti - 18 L - has 4WD option
New Global Scorpio - 15-16L - has 4WD option

There is a slot here (11-14 lacs price range) in which the Toyota RAV 4 can sit nicely.
And the Forester would also fit beautifully, provided it can be given the 2 litre Diesel engine and retain the AWD.

Entry to Mid Segment:
Scorpio 4WD 11-12L + - has 4WD option
Safari - 11-12 L + - has 4WD option

There is another slot here (9-11 lacs price range) in which the SX4 Hatch Diesel 4WD can sit as well as the Renault Koleos, Renault Sandero, and the like. Maybe even Ford can re-vitalize the Diesel Fusion and stick a 4WD into it and offer it in this rough price range!

Entry level:
Bolero - 7.5-8.5L - has 4WD option

For this particular slot (5.5-7.5 lacs price range), if the Premier Rio is spruced up, given some better comforts, fit and finish inside along with a better, more powerful Diesel motor and 4WD, it will be a no-brainer for anyone seeking a bit of comfort coupled with utility.

Else, Suzuki should introduce its dear old Samurai/Sidekick/Jimmy/Jimny 4WD, stick a nice diesel in it and provide us with another option which is more comfy and pretty much as capable as a Gypsy. Considering they are still buzzing around selling the 800 and Alto etc alongside with their replacements, why not in the jeep/utility/entry 4WD SUV segment as well?

Bare bones level:
Gypsy - 6L - has 4WD
Mahindra Major - 5.8 L - has 4WD

In effect it would be great to have a few more options available for consumers which have the following; 4WD + Diesel engine + Compact proportions for urban use + modern technology + comfort + some bells and whistles + price/value equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Looks like SX4 wagon version is on cards. If they can retain the original 4X4 ability of the hatch and launch with a diesel engine, it is worth even 12+ lakhs.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th January 2010 at 14:26.
Old 7th January 2010, 14:48   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Some thoughts on compact SUV type vehicles:
The Skoda Yeti is built on the Octavia platform I believe - therefore it will be dimensionally comparable to the Tucson & Grand Vitara - possibly X-Trail as well.
Actually, no! It is a much more compact SUV measuring 4.2m. GV comes at 4.5 m. X-Trail comes at 4.63 meters. Tuscon is smaller than GV & X-Trail, but still larger than Yeti.

With some of the hatches coming in at 3.99m, Yeti would more more or less considered as Ford Fusion (which was about 4.018 m when originally launched) sized or a little bigger.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks