Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:19   #31
BHPian

I happened to be that reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdgawd View Post
Hey hey.
Apologies for that stupid mistake. One of our readers pointed it out, but we are on a break for 2 days and would be corrected first thing Monday morning!!!
I am the one who made the comment on that article.
My name is P.C.Sunil which is the short form for Pullockaran Cherian Sunil and called drpullockaran here on TeamBHP. Now what are you going to do about the comment I made there. I suggest you remove the comment if you are correcting the article and give that author a piece of your mind. If you do not remove the comment subsequent readers will think I am nuts for raising a frivolous comment. Cut and paste mish mash jobs are not the hallmarks of good author for any subject.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 22nd February 2009 at 10:21.
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:17   #32
rippergeo

@drpull- who was driving the swift Diesel?
BTW- 60kmph in 3rd gear in the swift is pretty much where it makes its peak torque. it runs out of revs and torque as it gets closer to 90.

If the swift is in 4th gear at 60kmph, the dust meal could go to anyone of the two drivers. It's all about using the gears properly.
Did you try an outright drag against the Swift? The little 1.3 DDiS would have you seriously worried.

However, no doubt about it- the Getz is way way faster than pretty much anything else on the road right now. I'm busy racking my brains to come up with some way to keep up with the rapidly rising numbers of Getz CRDis(some of them, Pete'd....)
I dont think we'll ever see a stock petrol hatch that can keep up with this car. maybe if the Fabia sportline comes out, but even then, it will be close.
Diesel Rules!

@aagoswami- I had read the ACI test which showed that the swift is only .5secs slower to the ton than the getz. Made pleasnt reading for Swift users like me, buttttt that article is most likely wrong. My stock swift takes 13.8 secs to the 100, 11.8secs after peteing.
The stock getz can touch a 100 in 10 secs if launched properly. that is a full 3 secs faster than the stock swift.

most of the 0-100 numbers in automags I've seen were off by a big margin.
for eg- Website claims Stock 2.5 TDCi endy needs 16.XX secs to 100kmph
I tried it, with no mods and it did 100 in 13 secs flat. It gets quite interesting after basic mods

either my stopwatch is really slow, or the testers for automags dont know how to drive diesels.
@lawdgawd- A typo?!!!! It is sacrilege, not a typo

Old 22nd February 2009, 11:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I am the one who made the comment on that article.
My name is P.C.Sunil which is the short form for Pullockaran Cherian Sunil and called drpullockaran here on TeamBHP.
Hey Doc, I thought you are a teetotaller?
Old 22nd February 2009, 12:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, but there is no way a diesel Getz is slower than a diesel Swift (for the Indian spec cars). No way.
Old 22nd February 2009, 14:20   #35
BHPian

OUt right frag the swift diesel has no chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@drpull- who was driving the swift Diesel?
BTW- 60kmph in 3rd gear in the swift is pretty much where it makes its peak torque. it runs out of revs and torque as it gets closer to 90.

If the swift is in 4th gear at 60kmph, the dust meal could go to anyone of the two drivers. It's all about using the gears properly.
Did you try an outright drag against the Swift? The little 1.3 DDiS would have you seriously worried.
Driver was a doctor who is a colleague of mine at Kothamangalam. His usual car is the Diesel Fiesta with a black top and white bottom. The race was from Alwaye to Kothamangalam at 7am in the morning covering a distance of 26kms.

In out right drag the swift had no chance because it runs out of revs in every gear and moreover the GTX reaches 100kmph in about 12 seconds even with restrictive LPGgas. But in moving traffic with me in third gear he could nearly pass me from about 60-90kmph but I could hold 3rd gear till 120kmph or 130kmph. Did not have the courage to look at the speedo on a winding road and only a quick blurred glance is all I could give. On mild sweeping uphills he used to be about 10 to 12 car lengths behind me each and every time by the time I changed to 4th at about 120kmph. I do not know which gear he was in but I was in third and I am dead sure I will have no chance if I were in fourth because both 4th and 5th gear in the GTX are over drive gears and there is little difference in acceleration in both those higher gears. The rpm drop is about 400-500rpm when changing from 4th to 5th gear at 100kmph.

With him in the VernaCRDI not the GETZ(same engine though) the roles were reversed and thorougly exagerrated. Its after that humiliation that I am slowly upgrading my car on the performance front but the costs for upgrading the GTX with stage 1 modifications is Rs56000/-(camshaft, headers and muffler) and the declared value of my car is just 1.2lakhs. I am thinking hard as whether to wait for the Punto1.6vgt indefinitely if and when it comes years later as presently they plan only for the 1.3vgt engine found in the Linea.
Old 22nd February 2009, 14:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hey Doc, I thought you are a teetotaller?
Hi, Steer I am a milktotaller. Have not had tea or coffee for years. Last cup of tea/coffee was when I was 7 years old in hospital for a tonsillectomy.
Old 24th February 2009, 02:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Doc.......I would never comment on such threads but after a 250-odd kms drive on good highways today, I'll say this; leave the Fiat/Swift alone, get yourself a Getz CRDi as a daily runner & keep the 1.6 as your weekend car. Trust me, you'll never regret the decision.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:20   #38
BHPian

serious mods on the palio are a no no.
try the S10 its better since 4th gear is not over drive you can get good acceleration in that gear in the S10.
but trust me when i say this. i know of a fully done up. S10. headers, iridium spark plugs FFE and stuff. yes its a stage one thinghy i guess! the guy himself told me the top it goes is 180kmph!! that too when there is enough road!! its a tough task to accelerate from 160kmph!! .
spent the money for something else.
and on top of this breaking is a no no fr the palio.
dont even dream of getting a proper stop from 140kmph!!
inside city the palios( acceleration) and swifts diesel or petrol ( acceleration and control!! hell yeah!) are awesome.
verna and getz are dangerous - over acceleration and torque steer i refrain from street races inside city.
dont bother to have a head on with the vernas or elantras or getz crdi vehicles in the highway

my personal best inside kerala( stock verna - the needle was between 200-210!!) is 205kmph! in vytilla - allapuzha route! another peted elantra had done 190kmph!( as told to me by a fellow bhpian) stock elantra had also done a 180kmph!( as told to me by hyundai service engineer)

but yes for christ sake dont think of anything in excess of 140kmph if you dont have ABS ( actually for elantra and verna all round discs do the trick!) otherwise none of us would be here alive to tell about these speeds!!
coming back to the topic. GETZ is Over powered.
as per my info from hyundai service engineer. the only reason for a 1.5crdi VGT in GETZ was due to low developement cost and though initially they had the plan to bring in the accent crdi engine, the vibration dampening was dificult and hence the verna motor came in.
but for i20 its not the case.
they will give a 1.4crdi by mid 2009. in fact they are waiting for the budget to be released.
and yes for the record. getz is a dangerous vehicle at the hands of a novice driver.
i know of three getz crdi cars which got involved in bad accidents and are back at the hyundai service center for repair. the car is too front heavy!!
Old 24th February 2009, 10:49   #39
BHPian

Getz CRDi, the people who own fast Indian cars OHC VTEC, New Civic, even guys driving Skoda RS will vouch that this small li'l hatch with the 1.5 litre 110 Bhp CRDi rocks.
Well a Stock Getz CRDi can do circles around a pete'd Swift DDSi.

And pls dont try n race a pete'd Getz CRDi on any of the current hatches and sedan's even with 2.0 petrol engines, you will put to shame !!!!..

I am sure the author on that website might have driven a Getz 1.1 with a CRDi decal on it to give such comments hahaha

Last edited by anarchist : 24th February 2009 at 10:50.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:55   #40
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Well a Stock Getz CRDi can do circles around a pete'd Swift DDSi.
Ahem! I wouldnt go that far. The Swift is better at going in circles and corners
In a straight line, yes the stock getz will outrun a pete'd swift, but not by a huge margin, and definitely not by a margin enough to run circles. I know, I drive both these engines(verna) regularly.

PS- I just remembered, when it comes to top speed, there is no competition, the Getz will trounce the swift, pete's or no pete's

Last edited by rippergeo : 24th February 2009 at 10:58.

Old 24th February 2009, 11:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

people are scared to get hold of the getz crdi because it has no safety features compatible to its engine specs (read abs/air bags etc). Thats the fear psychosis it has created :P
Old 24th February 2009, 13:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

First it was Getz v/s GTX and now DDIS. Whats next?

Swift is the only hatch which can come close to the Getz till 140kph. Rest of the hatchbacks will be get smoked by a mile.
I know what happened to my Baleno against my Getz CRDi.

Last edited by kpzen : 24th February 2009 at 13:11.
Old 24th February 2009, 13:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Ahem! I wouldnt go that far. The Swift is better at going in circles and corners
In a straight line, yes the stock getz will outrun a pete'd swift, but not by a huge margin, and definitely not by a margin enough to run circles. I know, I drive both these engines(verna) regularly.

PS- I just remembered, when it comes to top speed, there is no competition, the Getz will trounce the swift, pete's or no pete's
Well my comments are based on the experience I had with a Swift VDi on the way back from Chennai on my Getz CRDi. I see this Swift going ahead, I overtake without much effort and keep the speed steady for sometime its vanished from my rear view. I slow down to some reasonable speeds, I see him coming after me flashing and changing lanes like crazy, I let him come in parally to my car and we accelerate starting at between 90 to 100 kmph and its close till 120 I mean the Getz still ahead by a car length or two then by the time I am at 140 the gap increased to more than 2 to 3 car lengths, a minute more the Swift is again a blip on the rearview and then I try the other way i.e. I let him overtake me till my car becomes a blip on his rearview and I am catching and overtaking the Swift in no time.

PS my car was not even pete'd at that time and was in stock condition except for the 15" alloys.
Old 24th February 2009, 13:30   #44
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Well my comments are based on the experience I had with a Swift VDi on the way back from Chennai on my Getz CRDi. I see this Swift going ahead, I overtake without much effort and keep the speed steady for sometime its vanished from my rear view. I slow down to some reasonable speeds, I see him coming after me flashing and changing lanes like crazy, I let him come in parally to my car and we accelerate starting at between 90 to 100 kmph and its close till 120 I mean the Getz still ahead by a car length or two then by the time I am at 140 the gap increased to more than 2 to 3 car lengths, a minute more the Swift is again a blip on the rearview and then I try the other way i.e. I let him overtake me till my car becomes a blip on his rearview and I am catching and overtaking the Swift in no time.

PS my car was not even pete'd at that time and was in stock condition except for the 15" alloys.
I agree with you. beyond 120kmph between the swift and the getz- its game over for the swift. till then, the swift manages to keep up with its puny engine purely because of the shorter gearing.

There is absolutely no disputing that the getz is the fastest these days, but the swift is not as bad as you made it sound in your earlier post

Old 24th February 2009, 13:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
verna and getz are dangerous - over acceleration and torque steer i refrain from street races inside city.
dont bother to have a head on with the vernas or elantras or getz crdi vehicles in the highway
coming back to the topic. GETZ is Over powered.
Never heard of anyone complaining about too much power before. That too in the sub-200bhp category.

There is no such thing as too much power - there is, however, something such as too inexperienced a driver.

@ iraghava - why do you think Dr Pull only drives his Palio on routes that have regular bus or public transportation services?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks