Team-BHP - Is the Hyundai Getz diesel under torqued.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Is the Hyundai Getz diesel under torqued. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/53836-hyundai-getz-diesel-under-torqued.html)

I am thoroughly confused or does the author of this web page have anything against Hyundai GETZ diesel. Read through the page and he says that the Getz diesel is severly under powered compared to the swift diesel. He goes on to say that the 1.4crdi is better powered when compared to the 1.5 diesel that the Getz presently comes with.

Hyundai i20 diesel launch India | DWS Auto India

1) The link you have posted does not open.
2) Dont trust all these articles. Generally these are not as per the level we expect. Getz Diesel is by no means under powered. Against the Swift Diesel, Getz is not at all underpowered. Absolutely no possibility of this.
The author of that article might not be as well informed or there was some error when the article was edited to be made available to public.

Getz infact has so much power that sometimes it feels as if the chassis had to be more stiffer although this is due to suspension set up that is slightly on the softer side.

EDIT : The image showing that the link is not opening.

I am using Opera browser and it opens up fine for me. I am posting the main page and then you could go to the column on the left and click on the article about the i20 diesel.

dancewithshadows.com version 3

Maybe he drove something else and thought it was the Getz CRDi.....what a ****!!
"The diesel engine in the [COLOR=#3259d8]Hyundai Getz[/COLOR] is too anemic for the i20, so it has to be another one to take on the super-torquey diesel Suzuki Swift. Plus"-----this fellow is crazy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpullockaran (Post 1181697)
I am using Opera browser and it opens up fine for me. I am posting the main page and then you could go to the column on the left and click on the article about the i20 diesel.

dancewithshadows.com version 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpullockaran (Post 1181699)

I am not able to open the website " Dancewithshadows " in either FF, Chrome or IE7.

Can you please post the entire article here ?
please:

The guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

The Getz in India comes with the Verna VGT engine which has 110bhp@4000rpm and 235nm(172lbft)@1900-2750rpm.

The Swift only makes 75bhp@4000rpm and 190nm(139lbft)@2000rpm.

Shan2nu

Expected launch date of the Hyundai i20 diesel is end-2009. Hyundai has of course not confirmed it,so it ay change a bit here or there.

The petrol Hyundai i20 has a 1.2 liter Kappa engine. The diesel engine for the i20 is as yet undecided. The diesel engine in the Hyundai Getz is too anemic for the i20, so it has to be another one to take on the super-torquey diesel Suzuki Swift. Plus, there is the Skoda Fabia, and also the upcoming Honda Jazz to contend with. I have seen the Honda Jazz - and let me tell you, there is no way Hyundai can go head to head with the Jazz. Just like the all-new Honda City, the Honda Jazz too would be a game changer. Hyundai better launch the i20 diesel before the Jazz is launched in India to get what it can.

In the UK, a diesel Hyundai i20 is available with a 1.4 liter CRDi engine that offers 88 BHP at 4000 RPM, and 162 lb ft of toraue at 2350 RPM. There is also a separate 1.6 liter version available in Europe - sorry, I don’t have the figures for it right now. But that 1.4 looks like a good fit for the Indian diesel Hyundai i20, considering its positioning as a premium hatchback.

Thanks for putting up the article here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpullockaran (Post 1181722)

The petrol Hyundai i20 has a 1.2 liter Kappa engine. The diesel engine for the i20 is as yet undecided. The diesel engine in the Hyundai Getz is too anemic for the i20, so it has to be another one to take on the super-torquey diesel Suzuki Swift.

Now I see the author's point. He is pointing out that the 1.5 diesel from Getz would not be as good as the 1.3 doing duty under the Swift's hood, i.e. the performance and FTD ( Fun To Drive ) factor will be with Swift.

Getz CRDi weighs 1050 kg. Verna CRDi weighs 1173 kg. Both have same engine ( I am not sure of gearbox ), but Verna is better in 0-100 and top speed than the Getz CRDi. I know that many many parameters affect the final performance, but its just an indication that Verna is better performing. I think the gear ratios will be different, so the difference in performance.

With 1.2 kappa engine the i20 weighs 1065 kg. Now we can add more than 40 kgs ( approx ) for a diesel engine. The car will weigh around 1100 kg. Again less then Verna CRDi, but going by the difference of performance between Verna and Getz diesel, I expect the i20 diesel to be slower than Getz diesel.

The author might just have a point valid. But by no means the engine will be anemic for I20. That is wrong, but yes the performance of I20 CRDi 1.5 will be slower than Getz CRDi.

Yeah I think the author has got it completely wrong.
But I like the following statement he is making:

"I have seen the Honda Jazz - and let me tell you, there is no way Hyundai can go head to head with the Jazz. Just like the all-new Honda City, the Honda Jazz too would be a game changer. Hyundai better launch the i20 diesel before the Jazz is launched in India to get what it can."

Remember how the launch of swift kicked the butt of getz in 2005 and even now hyundai havent been able to do anything profitable with getz. I wish Honda do the same thing with the Jazz to i20 and Hyundai deserve it for the cheating Indian public for giving underpowered engines initially for both i10 and i20 and pricing it sky high.

HELL no! the getz CRDi is one of the most powerful and torquey vehicles that i have driven (test driven, of course).
let me say this, but there are a lot of people online who say they have done a lot of stuff (like driving the underpowered getz diesel) , but the stark reality is that they are trying to
1. Garner publicity
2. Are directly or indirectly endorsing a product and ambushing the other product.
3. Plainly don't have an idea about what they are talking about, themselves.
4. Havent done what they claim to have done.

i dont know if everyone knows this, but the getz diesel can maul the swift when it comes to performance. no offence to the swift, but direct offence to the author of the article :-P

Quote:

Getz CRDi weighs 1050 kg. Verna CRDi weighs 1173 kg. Both have same engine ( I am not sure of gearbox ), but Verna is better in 0-100 and top speed than the Getz CRDi. I know that many many parameters affect the final performance, but its just an indication that Verna is better performing. I think the gear ratios will be different, so the difference in performance.

With 1.2 kappa engine the i20 weighs 1065 kg. Now we can add more than 40 kgs ( approx ) for a diesel engine. The car will weigh around 1100 kg. Again less then Verna CRDi, but going by the difference of performance between Verna and Getz diesel, I expect the i20 diesel to be slower than Getz diesel.
The author hasn't even mentioned Verna in his review.

He says - "The diesel engine in the Hyundai Getz is too anemic for the i20, so it has to be another one to take on the super-torquey diesel Suzuki Swift".

How can he call the 190nm Swift engine super torquey when the getz engine is producing 235nm?

And then he goes on to say that the i20 needs the 1.4 ltr engine which is only 88bhp and 220nm.

On which planet is 110bhp/235nm less powerful than 88bhp/220nm?

Shan2nu

On the planet where the cars these engines power are significantly lighter than the other?

This is the first time i hear the word "underpowered" being associated with the Getz CRDi - guess the author was anemic :)

Getz is a diesel pocket rocket, wish it came with ABS. Anyways, these auto sites are a joke with their reviews. For the accurate reviews, please stick to team bhp reviews, you always get the right picture and honest reviews.

A similar kind has been discussed in the Indian Car Scene,http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hocking-3.html