Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

My next car - definitely without a doubt. At around 20 Lacs I would say fantastic VFM.
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:27   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Did i see a black C220CDi up for sale already
Look up the latest updates on my long-term review.

Quote:
Great decision by Honda. I just hope they price it right, stiffen the suspension & give it nice footwear.
Price is a given, tyres I can upgrade, Honda should take care of the suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
But really looking forward for the gem of an engine ICTDI diesel thats what will sell like hot cakes not the v6..
the only sale this version will see is from enthusiasts no one else.
Honda plays a lousy "poor Indian diesel quality" game, while others with more sophisticated diesel engines (Mercedes, BMW, Audi) run their cars just fine on our fuel.

The V6 will sell not only to enthusiasts, but also to an ignorant bunch who walk into a showroom and ask for the "top of the line / most expensive model only". You'll be surprised to know how many Vtecs were sold to chauffeur-driven types!!

I don't think we should shoot down this engine based on efficiency. I mean, c'mon we are talking about 250 horses and 6 cylinder refinement here. Which car with this power on tap scores on efficiency? The Accord V6 is NOT for you if FE matters to you (look at the I-4 then). She is all about power & refinement.
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think we should shoot down this engine based on efficiency. I mean, c'mon we are talking about 250 horses and 6 cylinder refinement here. Which car with this power on tap scores on efficiency? The Accord V6 is NOT for you if FE matters to you (look at the I-4 then). She is all about power & refinement.
Why not? The VCM is there just for this.

Just imagine, when 3 cylinders shut down while cruising, it uses only 1.75ltrs of engine capacity. Add to this the low lift non vtec lobes and an economical fuel map.

If driven well, im sure the V6 can even beat the FE figures of the 2.4 Accord.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

maybe GTO but there are still those mileage kithna deta hai people and majority of us have a part of that person in ourselves.Maybe Honda showroom guys will trick people into buying it by giving wrong figures!!
as you said honda is giving lame excuses for not getting the diesel.
to think of it honda is the only car company in india that does not play with diesel in india.(except Reva of course )
im guessing it will be 1 to 1.5 lakhs more expensive,3 to 4 people wont bother about it(atleast i wouldn't).
a small question.
If the cylinder management system was given to the 2.4 wouldn't it give terrific figures?Atleast they could have done that instead of giving lame excuses for bad fuel in India.
I don't believe how Honda can sit and watch the Laura eating up its accord sales in India.
similarly CRV sales are being eaten by Endy/Captiva
ANHC sales by the Linea
Civic sales will go down for sure after the launch of the diesel corolla.
any ways its no use talking about it now as honda should have done this in 2003-04(or earlier im not sure) when they released the accord or when the ictdi engine was introduced.

Last edited by vinaydas : 23rd February 2009 at 15:16.
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:06   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Why not? The VCM is there just for this.

Just imagine, when 3 cylinders shut down while cruising, it uses only 1.75ltrs of engine capacity.
On an arrow-straight expressway while maintaining a consistent speed : YES. Butttttttttttttttttt

1. I'm sure 90% of Accord owners will have atleast 80% of their running within the city. Will this cylinder deactivation even have a chance to come into play?

2. On typical Indian highways, it is impossible to maintain a constant speed. Even on the expressway / GQ sections, I find it hard to maintain a constant speed (due to the enthusiast in me / overtaking / obstacles / junctions / 30 kph 3 wheelers in the fast lane).

Cylinder deactivation may make a difference on American expressways or German Auto Bahns. They'd hardly have a chance to deactivate in Indian driving conditions.
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I'm sure 90% of Accord owners will have atleast 80% of their running within the city. Will this cylinder deactivation even have a chance to come into play?

2. On typical Indian highways, it is impossible to maintain a constant speed. Even on the expressway / GQ sections, I find it hard to maintain a constant speed (due to the enthusiast in me / overtaking / obstacles / junctions / 30 kph 3 wheelers in the fast lane).
You dont have to be cruising at a constant speed to activate VCM. Its activation depends on throttle position, so as long as you dont floor the gas pedal you will have VCM.

Moreover, the car comes with an "ECO" light that illuminates whenever VCM is activated so with a little practise you will know exactly what driving style makes VCM work.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd February 2009 at 17:28.
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:30   #37
evo
BHPian

hehe! Its a V6!
And we are debating economy!
Naaahi!
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:36   #38
BHPian

VCM activation under what criteria

Was wondering at what speeds and how the VCM comes into effect. Read about VCM / Variable displacement engine - the entire process in great detail on the net. Regarding the speeds, could only get info about GM's V8 with multi-displacement system.

I'll quote from the source (Engine-Cylinder Deactivation Saves Fuel | J.D. Power
"Above 18 mph or so, if the engine was cruising lightly at moderate rpm, half the cylinders could shut down until they were needed again to accelerate or climb a hill—whenever the load increased."

Does Honda's VCM work on a similar principle? Because 18 mph or around 30 kmph seems like a decent speed for cylinder de-activation. Even though it will be of no use during peak hours or in bumper-to-bumper traffic, but at other times may make sense.
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:52   #39
BHPian

That's grand stuff Honda. I hope the V6 version also comes with the missing bits for India (Projector-Xenons, Sun-roof, ICE with colour display, etc) that is part of the package in the USDM model.

I would pick the V6 just for the refinement and low end grunt, without worrying too much about VCM because more than 80% of the time, it will not be activated.
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
If the cylinder management system was given to the 2.4 wouldn't it give terrific figures?Atleast they could have done that instead of giving lame excuses for bad fuel in India.
Umm, run the engine as a two cylinder? Yeaaahh, that'll work.

The previous generation V6 also had VCM. It didn't help with FE much. Maybe the new engine has a more advanced system.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The previous generation V6 also had VCM. It didn't help with FE much. Maybe the new engine has a more advanced system.
Thats bcoz the old Accord V6 that was sold in India didn't come with VCM. I think it was only sold in Japan as the Honda Inspire.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd February 2009, 23:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Now thats what im talking bout!

The desirable just became more desirable. 250+ Horses for a hot looking sedan (IMHO) is what i need as a daily driver! *wishful thinking*
Old 24th February 2009, 11:34   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
hehe! Its a V6!
And we are debating economy!
Naaahi!
You tell 'em, tiger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
is what i need as a daily driver! *wishful thinking*
With Honda reliability & all that space, the V6 would make for one heck of a daily drive.

Power to weight:

Octavia vRS : 119
Merc S350 : 141
Accord V6 : 155
Audi A4 3.2 : 163
BMW 530i : 168

FYI, the I-4 Accord is about 120 BHP / tonne.
Old 24th February 2009, 11:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

That is an awesome number, 155 bhp/tonne! Sure VFM. Now if you want to enjoy that and still talk about fuel economy, that ain't happening together. At a price bracket of 21 - 22 lakhs, sure VFM, considering the A4 and 530 are in the 30 - 40 lakh range.
Old 24th February 2009, 13:20   #45
evo
BHPian

Sorry for the ignorant question, but can V6`s also be modded easily like the octy RS can be?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks