Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 15:04   #121
Senior - BHPian

Ya not much changes except for the engine.
As usual price is steep. I dont think there will be many takers for this.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:14   #122
BHPian

Given the Accord V6s pricing, Skoda should take note and start plugging the new Superb even more vigorously. Apart from performance, you get a lot more "bang for the buck" with the Superb. The question in any potential customers' mind should be...Is the additional INR 4-5 lakhs for the accord worth it for the reliability, *** etc.

Skoda should offer a complete 3 year maintenance plan a la BMW and hopefully watch the sales counters start ticking.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:37   #123
Senior - BHPian

^^Performance? The base 2.4 accord has more power than the superb. Its pointless to compare this 3.5 V6 monster to a 1.8 liter superb turbocharged or not. Folks who buy this won't bother looking at the superb to be honest - atleast with the current engine options.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:06   #124
BHPian

horribly disappointing...i was waiting for this one sooo baaadllyyyy....now i have to seriously consider the superb diesel. atleast i get some gizmos!
Old 12th March 2009, 16:40   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^Performance? The base 2.4 accord has more power than the superb. Its pointless to compare this 3.5 V6 monster to a 1.8 liter superb turbocharged or not. Folks who buy this won't bother looking at the superb to be honest - atleast with the current engine options.
That is precisely what i meant. That the accord scores over the superb on the performance factor.
Old 12th March 2009, 18:12   #126
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mumbai prices (from Honda website):

I-4 Automatic : Rs. 1,807,800

Accord 3.5 V6 : Rs. 2,575,392

7.7 lakhs more! What the hell for? Those have got to be the most expensive two additional cylinders in the history of Honda. Terrible pricing and woefully disappointed. The Honda Accord has shot into its own foot and sealed its own fate. T'was never going to be a handler, and neither is it available with a 6 speed manual. 2.5 - 3.0 lakhs (tops) would have been easy to absorb, but 7 lakhs!

Not too many are going to move off showroom floors. And whichever do, are going to depreciate like stink.
Old 12th March 2009, 18:18   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mumbai prices (from Honda website):
7.7 lakhs more! What the hell for?
EXACTLY . What the hell were they thinking. I was really looking forward to the launch of this car ever since I saw it at the Auto Expo in Delhi. I guess it's time to forget about it now.
Old 12th March 2009, 18:36   #128
BHPian

What a disappointment! I still want this to be my next car, now may be I will wait till they realise they are not going to sell a lot and reduce the price ala Civic Hybrid....

For the price they could at least have thrown in some goodies like the full-color display with premium music system, moonroof, etc. Even then, 7lacs is a LOT of money!!!
Old 12th March 2009, 19:12   #129
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see another good car going to the dogs because of stupid pricing. I guess Honda's trying to take a leaf out of Toyota's book & trying to make a quick buck.

I suppose this car will only make sense once used ones start appearing on the market a few years down the line.
Old 12th March 2009, 19:14   #130
BHPian

Today was the official launch of the Accord V6. Do check out the first test drive report of the Accord v6 in team-bhp.

Here
Old 12th March 2009, 19:26   #131
Senior - BHPian

Well, I think I know why Honda have priced the car way out of their league.

As it so happens, the yen has been getting stronger for a while. The same also holds true for the dollar. Whichever way the car enters India (whether parts or engine), Honda are having to pay a heavier amount due to exchange fluctuation.

I had a talk with a senior Honda official a while back and he was categorical when he said that the CR-V looks a prime contender for a price revision. So I asked, by how much - another 50-75 k? He turned around and stunned me by saying THIRTY PER CENT.
A quick back of the book calculation told me the 2.4 CR-V would go as high as Rs 30 lakh. I then looked back at him and asked, "Are you serious?" He said yes.

Well there's a manufacturer perspective for you. But I think, if Honda knew that they can't resolve the currency fluctuation issue, they should have waited a little longer before they launched the 3.5 V6. Just my two cents.
Old 12th March 2009, 19:40   #132
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster View Post
A quick back of the book calculation told me the 2.4 CR-V would go as high as Rs 30 lakh. I then looked back at him and asked, "Are you serious?" He said yes.
All I can say is good luck. The CRV will need it with a 30 lakh price tag.

Quote:
Well there's a manufacturer perspective for you.
Exactly. And that is only the manufacturers perspective. Tell you what the truth is : They've been smoking some real good stuff of late. 18 months back, an Accord V6 (previous gen) sold for 18.xx lakhs. 7 lakh increase in a year? Go figure.

Whoever is pricing Honda's uniquely positioned models is doing a terribly job. Starting with the Civic hybrid debacle. The Accord V6 is going to bomb. And I say that as a petrolhead for whom BHP is never enough. Think about it, nearly 8 lakhs over the I-4 for a car that comes only with an Auto. And won't handle anyways!

The smarter will look for killer used deals. 1 - 2 years down the line.

P.S. : For someone who really likes to drive, spend another 7 lakhs and pick up a 6 - 12 month old A4 3.2 FSI.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2009 at 19:43.
Old 12th March 2009, 20:10   #133
Senior - BHPian

Honda needed to localize and bring down the price. At 3 lakhs or so above the I-4, this would have been a killer! I take back my words, I was expecting a lot more features and goodies in this at a 25 lakh price! And, no manual option? Which enthusiast will buy this??
Old 12th March 2009, 20:15   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

P.S. : For someone who really likes to drive, spend another 7 lakhs and pick up a 6 - 12 month old A4 3.2 FSI.

If one can find great deals like you do, then yes. The A43.2 at the price you mentioned is a killer deal. Thanks to the father who fears it will kill his son if he sticks on to that.
Old 12th March 2009, 20:58   #135
Team-BHP Support

oh boy. now i dont think this will be our next car. 7 lacs for what?

on the bright side im sure the resale values of old v6s will take a hit, or they actually might become better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks