Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 07:15   #1486
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs

while the XUV500 may look big and generall be a large sized presence on Indian roads in comparison with other vehicles, the overall size specs would classify it as a smaller/ budget type Crossover vehicle Internationally.
The GC of 205 plus mm is a definite advantage if one is navigating the lousy road surfaces of cities like Bangalore. The overall dimensions are not significantly larger than a Scorpio but the vehicle does look very aggressive and somewhat ponderous - like a slightly shrunken Montero - almost comparable to a Captiva in terms of overall size/ dimensions etc.
The AWD will also be nice to have but perhaps not essential for day to day driving.
This will be a worthy successor to the Scorpio - it is slightly less tall, is better engineered overall and will definitely handle better even at speed on account of their having sorted a number of the Scorpio's generic handling issues.
The addition of the safety stuff and the newer gizmos will definitely make it worthy of consideration.
But the trick lies in the pricing and overall VFM package + the brand value.
Yes it takes a long time to build a brand especially when hampered to an extent by the baggage being carried from the past.
This is why it might have made sense for them to invest in building a completely separate brand for this XUV500 and then launching it - similar to the way Toyota created Lexus, Nissan created Infiniti and Honda created Acura.
That might have been a better way to go, considering that the XUV 500 will most probably not be an inexpensive vehicle here in India.
The thing is, to keep it competitive they may even drop the VLX level Scorp from their arsenal and make the Scorp into a basic SUV offering , thereby paving the way for the XUV to make a mark for itself.
Old 26th September 2011, 08:34   #1487
Distinguished - BHPian

re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
Well, I feel customer's thinking will be different in case of XUV500 than it was for Aria. Aria is a MUV, was never marketed as an SUV. XUV500 is a SUV. So people might be willing to pay more for a SUV, be it a MM vehicle, than a MUV like Aria.
I really doubt that. Most people outside of TBHP hardly differentiate between a MUV and an SUV proper. In India most people still buy the brand rather then the individual product and thats the reason you get 50k bookings for swift on day of he launch with people booking even without taking a decent look at the car, forget taking a TD.

No matter how good the car is, if priced at the level of Aria it will see numbers only as good as the Aria and nothing more. M&M should price the car with a lot of caution. Ofcourse the best strategy might be the Toyota-Lexus kind of a strategy although I am not sure how much feasible it is.
Old 26th September 2011, 08:47   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Ofcourse the best strategy might be the Toyota-Lexus kind of a strategy although I am not sure how much feasible it is.
Eagerly waiting for the launch and test drive by GTO and others!

Pricing like Aria doesn't mean it will deserve the same fate. I believe that the market will react differently to XUV500 compared to the Aria. Let us wait for the final outcome!

To seperate the brands you need to establish the current one. Lexus can be boasted as premium only if Toyota has a reputation of its own.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:38   #1489
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Am keenly looking forward to the launch too.
Might consider it if it is not too big and bulky vis a vis the Scorp and of course if the pricing is sensible.

Ref the M&M Brand, do you not think that they've succeeded in establishing themselves reasonably well for decently priced, reasonably reliable SUV type vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post
Eagerly waiting for the launch and test drive by GTO and others!

Pricing like Aria doesn't mean it will deserve the same fate. I believe that the market will react differently to XUV500 compared to the Aria. Let us wait for the final outcome!

To seperate the brands you need to establish the current one. Lexus can be boasted as premium only if Toyota has a reputation of its own.
Old 26th September 2011, 11:07   #1490
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Read this on Vicky.in

M&M plans to launch its new SUV christened the XUV500 on 28th of this month.Both the two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive versions of XUV500 are to be unveiled together.This new global SUV is the first monocoque vehicle of Mahindra and is positioned above the Scorpio by Mahindra.

XUV500 will be powered by a transversely located 2.2-litre mHawk engine and a new transaxle which will churn out a power of around 140bhp.The company also plans for a twin turbo version in the future to increase the power range up to 170bhp.The estimated torque to be produced by the transverse engine will be around 32.6kgm.The new SUV features an all-new cable-operated gearbox with five and six-speed options.

The car holds a lot of good features which include traction control,ESP and hill descent control. It has got perfect proportions and looks and an attractive curved Mahindra grille.The high mounted,swept back headlamps of XUV500 also looks attractive.The rising beltline and tapered roof present in it offers an air of compactness.

The three variants to be launched are Base,Top and Top+ signify the kit level.The top-end model has features such as ABS, EBD, ESP and TCS.It also features Micro-hybrid technology and alloy wheels with all wheel disc brakes.Touch screen infotainment system along with a refrigerator is present in select variants.The tentative price range of XUV500 is Rs.13 lakhs to Rs.16 lakhs.
Old 26th September 2011, 11:29   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Read this on Vicky.in
Touch screen infotainment system along with a refrigerator is present in select variants.
Good to hear about the features and spec. Will be good one to buy for people looking at 15L budget, but wanting a bigger vehicle with features of a 20-25L vehicles.

But refrigerator!! Or is it the Glove box chiller.
Old 26th September 2011, 12:18   #1492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post
But refrigerator!! Or is it the Glove box chiller.
There was a limited edition variant of scorpio launched with a refrigerator in 2010 as far as I remember. This maybe the same thing.
Old 26th September 2011, 14:40   #1493
Senior - BHPian

^^ Can't they introduce something known as a chilled glovebox? What is a person expected to carry ? Veggies?
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 14:47   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
^^ Can't they introduce something known as a chilled glovebox? What is a person expected to carry ? Veggies?
I think a refrigerator is a great idea if it's well integrated. And I can think of a lot more reasons of putting it to use apart from veggies . Beverages, cold cuts of meat, chocolates etc.
A chilled glove box IMHO is quite incapable when compared to a fridge. I have tried cooling a coke can in a glovebox and it didn't work too well!
Old 26th September 2011, 15:51   #1495

Up on their website, confirming the launch on 28th Sep 2011. Eagerly awaiting the mega launch
Old 26th September 2011, 16:13   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
I think a refrigerator is a great idea if it's well integrated. And I can think of a lot more reasons of putting it to use apart from veggies . Beverages, cold cuts of meat, chocolates etc.
A chilled glove box IMHO is quite incapable when compared to a fridge. I have tried cooling a coke can in a glovebox and it didn't work too well!
From what I have read, in car refrigerators work on thermoelectric effect so the cooling achieved will not be at par with conventional compressor based refigerators. An insulated box under the seat or in the floor would be even better.

Personally - instead of these feature, I would like an integrated 12V-110V car inverter. Much more useful.
Old 26th September 2011, 16:29   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
From what I have read, in car refrigerators work on thermoelectric effect so the cooling achieved will not be at par with conventional compressor based refigerators. An insulated box under the seat or in the floor would be even better.

Personally - instead of these feature, I would like an integrated 12V-110V car inverter. Much more useful.
You are right. The one that I saw wasn't great either, but much better than a cooled glove box.
Also, adding an an integrated 12V-110V car inverter is a better idea as it gives more flexibility to the user.
Old 26th September 2011, 16:35   #1498
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel sure that the XUV500 will overall look better and sportier than the Aria, more elegant - maybe not, but more macho - definately.

Will people line up to pay Aria kind of money for the XUV500 - who knows, if definate research was possible then the Aria would have done better numbers already. Even Toyota could not predict the reaction to the fortuner and it did much better than their expectations.

Somehow the Aggressive look on the XUV500 might do the trick inspite of pricing. I do believe the pricing will be as good or as bad as the Aria which in someways is still very well priced for what it offers, but not for what it looks.
Old 26th September 2011, 17:15   #1499
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Mahindra calls the start stop system as *Hybrid* where the rest of the world considers a hybrid car to be on that runs on combination of conventional engine and electric power, so I wouldn't get too carried away with the refrigerator from Mahindra. Most likely some compartment through which the AC air is routed.
Old 26th September 2011, 18:10   #1500
BHPian

Got an info from one of the MM showroom guy in Bangalore that XUV500 is launched on 28th SEP and will be available for TD.

There are only two variants W6 and W8 with Approximate On Road Pricing between 16L-18L.

I will be visiting the showroom for the TD and will post the Pics/TD Review.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks