Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 15:48   #2221
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Can anybody paste the beige interiors pictures in here? I tried looking and didnt come across any! I dont suppose its even there on the official site.
From what I read in a review on some website, beige-brown interiors are available only for White colored XUV; for all other colors, the interiors are black-chocolate.

Can someone, who has seen the car in flesh, confirm this?

Also, is XUV available in any of the showrooms in Pune? I am eager to catch a glimpse of it!
Old 30th September 2011, 15:50   #2222
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The vehicle seems to be good and VFM in many respects. However, the question I have in my mind is are there enough buyers to make it an instant hit?

Though it may be a worthy competitor for the sedans like Vento, it's not a sedan and though it may be feature packed, it will never be able to provide comfort like a true sedan.

Though it will give the likes of the Safari and Aria a run for their money, there are people who have already bought the Safaris and Arias. They aren't likely to downgrade (in terms of prices) and take a monetary hit in the process just because the XUV seems to be a more VFM product.

Though it will eat into the Scorpio's sales, existing Scorpio owners, specially those who have bought it in the last year or so are not likely to replace their vehicles with the XUV.

So the question is where is the XUV going to generate the numbers from?
Will it beat Vento/Verna/City in terms of sales ? No !
Will it massacre Safari/Scorpio/Aria at the current price point ? Hell YEAH !
Will it pull away a substantial number of Captiva/Fortuner/Endy customer ? Likely
Will it force some sort of price corrections for other SUV's ? Let's see but cant rule it out !

Looking at not just the reaction on T-BHP but also other online forums as well as buzz around the Mahindra dealership (eg 120 ppl at showroom launch like one member posted), it is almost guaranteed to be a roaring success atleast intially. Mahindra's plans of 2k units/month should be easily outstripped by demand.

PS: One colleague of mine who had booked Scorpio top end has cancelled it and put money on W6 4x2 XUV500 and my boss is seriously looking at XUV500 instead of T-Fort he was planning to book in Jan once his existing lease gets over. This within a day of launch and pricing announcement !
Old 30th September 2011, 15:56   #2223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
From what I read in a review on some website, beige-brown interiors are available only for White colored XUV; for all other colors, the interiors are black-chocolate.

Also, is XUV available in any of the showrooms in Pune? I am eager to catch a glimpse of it!
Seeing the OVerdrive Video on the previous page Sirish mentioned there is Black, Black-Brown & Beige as an option if im not mistaken.

This video has the beige interiors. Sorry but its in hindi

Last edited by Y@SH : 30th September 2011 at 16:00. Reason: Video Added
Old 30th September 2011, 16:07   #2224
BHPian

True VFM pricing should be something similar like Nissan's Sunny pricing XV at 7.68L for what it offers.

XUV's pricing appears VFM while being compared with pure overpricings of the other products in Indian SUV market Aria and Fortuner both of them are over priced by easily 5 lakhs to what they are worth.

In this context XUV is minimally over priced by 2 lakhs but still not true VFM. As Mahindra is known for their Greed once the product start selling XUV will not even remain at current level of VFM(?)

I like XUV as it comes as an additional option availble for Indian buyers and the Mahindra's pricing stragegy temporarily impact the fleecing TATA and other exploiting car makers in India.

TATA's ownership of JLR has given them 2k CRORES profit last fiscal. Mahindras's cannot expect such returns from owning sick Ssanyang and hence Mahindra's couldnot play their routinely cherished duopoly fleecing of customers like they do with their Scorpio model with Tata's Safari.
Hence Mahindra decided to price it contrastingly on the lower side of the customer exploitative over pricing practice and gradualy inflate the price.

XUV's pricing is not VFM at all. Neverthe less I like XUV and its features.XUV touched people as most audience of this kind of vehicle are well informed and long for a global spec vehicle at true global price. I would have been happy if Mahindra priced it VFM in spirit as Nissan's Sunny XV

with 7 people no boot is a significant NO for family buyers. Aria scores there. but for boot 3L price?

Last edited by harimakesh : 30th September 2011 at 16:20.
harimakesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 16:11   #2225
BHPian

Hey Everyone,

I was having a slow day at work so decided to duck out and head to the Koncept Mahindra showroom in Bhikaji Cama Place, Delhi to check out the XUV which i have been obsessed by the last few weeks. Considering the amount publicity i gave it on facebook yesterday M&M should be paying me..

the first thing i noticed as i drove upto the showroom was the rush, a lot of prospective buyers, curious on-lookers were gathered around the showroom to check out the silver colored XUVs parked outside. 2 facts struck me there were a lot of vento, civic, and 1 superb owners who had parked and come to see this vehicle. as i had mentioned in my post on 28.9.2011, that if M&M cracked the price point these would be the categories they would be eating into.

as you will see in one of the pics i have attached an owner of a limited edition Tata Xenon (brand new) had pulled up and taken a test drive as i walked in, i found this particularly amusing.

Inside the showroom they had a black XUV parked ( i think all 3 were W6 variants), and its a simple fact this car is going to look the best in black. The black color helps tone down the over the top grill giving the XUV a premium look.

A very quick review of the car from the limited time i could sit in it , thanks to crowd which was jostling for space:

Interiors:

- the dials are very funky looking and as i revved up the engine , the needles moved very smoothly
- the centre console in the faux wood finish is nicely done, lots of gadgetry happening there. nice touch with the pop up console under which are the usb, aux in and charger port (the whole console is borrowed from a Merc design)
- ample storage space among the 2 dash boards, 1 pop up storage space above the music system and the cooler & storage between the front seats
- surprisingly all the seat adjusters (height, front, support) are manual i guess that where cost cutting has happened.
- steering is a tad bit smaller than what i prefer but fits nicely in the hand
- hand brake for its odd positioning did not interfere
- decent leg room in the 2nd row ( im 6'1 and my knees didnt touch the drivers seat)
- the plum interiors suck and yes need to be changed asap
- 3rd row space is nothing great and needs to be flattened to become a boot for sure

Overall interiors have a nice upmarket feel to them with vanity mirrors with lights etc

Exterior:

- The angled front view is where the XUV looks at its best , though i have a feeling that with time the over the top grill will grow on everyone. go in for a dark color it subdues the grill
- the "Paw" handles are funky and something i quite liked
- side view looks good with the curves over the wheel arches blending in with the door panels
- the rear end of the XUV is borrowed from its younger sibling the Xylo hence some consumers may get that " oye is that a xylo reaction"
- agree with many bhpians the spare tyre on the back would have added to the muscle look of this vehicle
- i ran my fingers over the bumpers and wheel arches and there is way too much of a plasticky feel to it versus the very solid metal feel of a scorpio. Would not want to rear end this xuv into another car, lot of potential damage
- the doors have a solid thunk feel when closing them
- engine is fairly silent i revved it up a bit with the doors closed no real noise.

Overall the look of this car is a sure shot winner and will turn a lot of heads on the roads of India. add to the that the abs, air bags and the rest of the value for money features

Hopefully I have a test drive lined up this evening , so more details to follow then.

Cheers

Kundan
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-img2011093000087.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-img2011093000090.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-img2011093000092.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-img2011093000093.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-img2011093000095.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-img2011093000091.jpg  

Ksingh544 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 16:14   #2226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post

That is correct i have just come from the showroom and the beige brown interiors are only in the white version. the rest are coming in that ugly plum colored interiors
Old 30th September 2011, 16:28   #2227
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi all,

Sharing some more pics from the unveiling which I saw today at Mahindra showroom Gurgaon. It was seriously a mad rush there!
The interiors for the variant which I saw were black and brown - so definitely they are available in other colours apart from White. Info with the showroom staff is also sketchy as of now and it will be better to refer the brochure / website instead.
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011230.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011231.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011235.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011237.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011238.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011240.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011242.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011244.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011250.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011251.jpg
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 16:34   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I was having a slow day at work so decided to duck out and head to the Koncept Mahindra showroom in Bhikaji Cama Place, Delhi to check out the XUV which i have been obsessed by the last few weeks. Considering the amount publicity i gave it on facebook yesterday M&M should be paying me..

Kundan
Thanks for the info!
Please ask what are the interior colour trims they are offering. Also kindly click a picture of interiors of the W6 varient. Thanks!
Old 30th September 2011, 16:37   #2229
BHPian

Almost 150 pages in the thread and the car launched only yesterday That just gives an indication that its widely liked and looked forward to by people. For me, it looks really impressive. Pick any dark color and the front end quirkiness gets sorted out too. The wide stance adds to the presence. The endless list of features. And to top it all, the price. Mahindra have a clear winner. How i wish i had some money now All the best to them.

Last edited by Kimified : 30th September 2011 at 16:38.
Old 30th September 2011, 16:39   #2230
BHPian

@Behemoth

Thank you for the wonderful pictures. its a real looker in black color. Truly wish you could have carried a digital camera for good pics. Awaiting the test drive from TBHP

Regards
Ravi
ravikn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 16:40   #2231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetghai1978 View Post
I really want to see the reaction at Tata Motors........what they must be thinking now and how will they position their Aria/Safari Merlin/Safari/Grande....after this price from Mahindra.
If they do not correct their price range then they are really going to have a tough time.
he..he...not correct the prices, correct the product!
Old 30th September 2011, 16:45   #2232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Almost 150 pages in the thread and the car launched only yesterday That just gives an indication that its widely liked and looked forward to by people. For me, it looks really impressive. Pick any dark color and the front end quirkiness gets sorted out too. The wide stance adds to the presence. The endless list of features. And to top it all, the price. Mahindra have a clear winner. How i wish i had some money now All the best to them.
Well the thread was started in 2009 and it had accumulated 105 threads till 27th Sept. In the next 2 days, it touched 150
Old 30th September 2011, 16:50   #2233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
True VFM pricing should be something similar like Nissan's Sunny pricing XV at 7.68L for what it offers.

XUV's pricing appears VFM while being compared with pure overpricings of the other products in Indian SUV market Aria and Fortuner both of them are over priced by easily 5 lakhs to what they are worth.

In this context XUV is minimally over priced by 2 lakhs but still not true VFM. As Mahindra is known for their Greed once the product start selling XUV will not even remain at current level of VFM(?)

I like XUV as it comes as an additional option availble for Indian buyers and the Mahindra's pricing stragegy temporarily impact the fleecing TATA and other exploiting car makers in India.

TATA's ownership of JLR has given them 2k CRORES profit last fiscal. Mahindras's cannot expect such returns from owning sick Ssanyang and hence Mahindra's couldnot play their routinely cherished duopoly fleecing of customers like they do with their Scorpio model with Tata's Safari.
Hence Mahindra decided to price it contrastingly on the lower side of the customer exploitative over pricing practice and gradualy inflate the price.

XUV's pricing is not VFM at all. Neverthe less I like XUV and its features.XUV touched people as most audience of this kind of vehicle are well informed and long for a global spec vehicle at true global price. I would have been happy if Mahindra priced it VFM in spirit as Nissan's Sunny XV

with 7 people no boot is a significant NO for family buyers. Aria scores there. but for boot 3L price?
What do you define as 'overpricing' ? Would you be happy if the XUV500 were offered at 6L?

Also I doubt if the majority of the people who go for either the XUV or its competitors (or for that matter any vehicle or any product) are really 'well informed and long for a global spec product at true global price'. That's kinda hard to swallow.

I mean seriously do you have any evidence Mahindras have been playing duopoly (hand in hand with the Tatas at that!) ?

A profit of 2k crores?? I am sure it would have been frontline news in most financial newspapers. And if the JLR were capable of generating this mammoth amount of profit, I doubt if it had been up for sale.

FYI, this is what I just found in the Financial Express (JLR profit boosts Tata Motors NET):

Quote:
Tata Motors on Friday said that its consolidated net profit for the December quarter stood at Rs 650.26 crore, boosted by a profit of Rs 416.95 crore or£55 million from its luxury vehicles arm Jaguar Land Rover (JLR). This is against a loss of Rs 2,598.83 crore in the corresponding quarter last year.
Old 30th September 2011, 16:54   #2234
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
With that styling I doubt it would sell in Timbuktu,let out alone Eastern Europe.They have plenty of Korean cars to choose from.Korean Car have better mechanical refinement and now some of are very palatable to look at.

I would love to see a Indian car company go up against the best in the world and do well,but this effort by Mahindra is ill conceived in the design department.This is the same mistake the Korean's made in the mid 90's,they copied and added a lot of garish details.Mahindra has a long way to go in terms of styling and executing a car which can sell well outside India.
Judging by the responses in this thread the jury is till out on the design. And most people who have seen the XUV in the flesh are suggesting that it isnt overdone to the point suggested by some of the snaps. The point sales potential in the 'under-developed' auto markets also considers the VFM aspect, cost of ownership & fuel economy and not just looks.

I agree that Korean Cars\SUVs have progressively improved & not just in the styling department. But the question really is which Korean model would you pitch against the XUV at this price point in Eastern Europe ? Consider the decent powertrain and the bells and whistles that the XUV offers. And remember the 11 lakh ex-showroom price in India is inclusive of the steep excise duty. Minus the ED, the car becomes even more attractive in a market with low import duties.
Old 30th September 2011, 17:01   #2235
BHPian

As per the pictures Mahindra surely has the winner in their hands, especially the price of the XUV.

Though IMO the design part is ugly from front, side and rear. Bulky part above the front and rear fender wheel arches, rear part below the wiper looks wierd. The size of this SUV is really a plus point for the monthly sales figures for Mahindras.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks