Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 17:06   #2236
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

More I see the side profile and stance, I find it very attractive.
To me it looks best in silver with the chiseled surfaces.
I am even able to come to terms with the grill treatment but it is still the rear design which looks like it was designed by building architects.

Has anyone noticed the uneven panel gaps in the steering wheel? Gap is also quite wide (could be 6-7 mm)
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-inspiration_img02.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-interiors_big11.jpg  

Old 30th September 2011, 17:07   #2237
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

This picture of XUV500 resembles the Grand Jeep Cherokee. I guess if Mahindra removes those strange looking tape/cutouts on the front bumpers. I believe giving it a simple plane look would be much better.Also that Lotus like look on the back should be removed as soon as possible.The XUV would look much much better if these changes are done and a lot of people are going to like the looks of the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-xuv500.jpg  

Old 30th September 2011, 17:21   #2238
BHPian

I just booked my XUV500- W6 - Volcano Black.

Expected delivery in 6 weeks.
Old 30th September 2011, 17:25   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post

TATA's ownership of JLR has given them 2k CRORES profit last fiscal. Mahindras's cannot expect such returns from owning sick Ssanyang and hence Mahindra's couldnot play their routinely cherished duopoly fleecing of customers like they do with their Scorpio model with Tata's Safari.

The Tata profit for each quarter last year was in excess of 2k Cr on the back of JLR doing rather well. The whole year profit for JLR was in excess of GBP1bn. However you must appreciate that they invested a substantial amount (~GBP800mn) into product development and R&D. This this investment is on a continuous basis to keep products updated.
Old 30th September 2011, 17:36   #2240
BHPian

just saw the car and i liked it - looks much more muscular in person. IMHO the black and wine interiors looked much better to me than the plain vanilla biege ones.

Silver color looks very nice.

the seating is nice, comfortable and plush with loads of legroom for the middle row - but VERY less for the last row.

the console styling is quite nice and looks great - but the positioning of hand brake is awkward - the gear shift lever touches hand brake in 5th and 6th gears.

Also - slotting the gears gives a very unusual sound - like something hitting a wall in a hollow? Dont know what it is.

also did not like the use of plastic in gear shift and hand-brake, etc. Could have given leather warp arounds - that would have been pretty neat.

However - l liked it, will TD tomorrow hopefully
Old 30th September 2011, 17:43   #2241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Well the thread was started in 2009 and it had accumulated 105 threads till 27th Sept. In the next 2 days, it touched 150
Yup. True. But, I have generally seen 200+ pages only on official reviews. Can't remember any car which garnered 150 pages for a scoop thread
Or maybe, Mahindra were too lousy and 2 years is a pretty long time to release a car after the Scoop pics get leaked.
Old 30th September 2011, 17:45   #2242
BHPian

Had closely been following this thread and it's quite interesting to note that a perceptibly low price has change the 'aahs' to 'oohs' within 24 hrs.
No wonder we have a long way to go before being called a mature auto market.

Perceptions apart, checked out the vehicle in person, no TD just touch and feel. Below is my take away-
- looks much better in person as the xuv is imposing
- leaves a lot to be desired in fit and finish - panel gaps, paint at places, plastic quality, general fit and finish for the price (yes I know it's the cheapest soft roarer but it will cost 10.8 lacs onwards)
- rear view seemed limited from the internal rvm
- the in-house six speed is yet to be tested for refinement and usability

A major step ahead for Mahindra and the Indian auto industry, in my view. Wish others start inventing rather than concocting.
I would safely presume the xuv selling 2k+ per month, another winner for Mahindra.
Old 30th September 2011, 17:51   #2243
BHPian

Just saw the vehicle passing by near my office now and the vehicle looks great. The rear looks are not that bad. It was a military green color.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:02   #2244
BHPian

Gentlemen .. pls relax , enough you have all churned your brains in some profound reviews and efforts to put the picture on table
My suggestion.. go to the showroom and see it in person. The launch webcast, the pictures here, and TD reviews do not do justice to this product as seen from naked eye.

For the ones upset with front, it looks so chewable from front, more gorgeous than outlander , the fort simple looks dated, the side profile puts CRV to shame and it looks like a skip generation of CRV / outlander.
The interior is like if you hide the mahindra badge on wheel- can put europeun 40 + Lac cars to shame and a person been abroad for too long knowing nothing about XUV scene in India whatsoever might confuse it for an expensive import.

I wanted to book the first XUV in Delhi, but guess what I went to showroom at 1:30 pm and they said it would be displayed by 3 pm. I went back and came back with family at 3:30 and they had clocked 16 bookings and by another 45 mins it were 50+. I literally had to glue the sales guy to the seat going mad and overwhelmed by swarm of people flashing wads of 10k - some asking for 3 bookings some even 5 in one go .

With a great effort he took my amount as while he was filling the form , people were throwing wads of money on the table asking him to keep it and register the booking later even in the evening if he doesnt get time .
It did not feel like it was 12 lac + automobile, the enthu and crowd were the ones like I would see at swift relaunch.
Mahindra is playing smart by taking money but promising only to revert in next 48 hours in booking status and more menacingly the exact price as they say what is mentioned on paper is approximate , which is really annoying, as they are trying to cash in on the enthu generated and may even hike the price within next 7 days if this craze continues. My irk is that would I get the vehicle at the same price and in a reasonable period of time even though Iam among first 50 customers?? or would they consider customers in lots and say that initial bookings are over, you are getting the vehicle in second lot and price has been hiked??.

I have booked W8 non AWD and in Black it would look like a 2 million rupees car
Old 30th September 2011, 18:04   #2245
BHPian

Onroad Prices in Bangalore

XUV BS4 W6 2WD : 1420179
XUV BS4 W8 2WD : 1520179
XUV BS4 W8 AWD : 1636135

Pretty impressive for a car this magnitude. As always, will be looking forward to the official team-bhp review.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:05   #2246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
Below is my take away-
- looks much better in person as the xuv is imposing
- leaves a lot to be desired in fit and finish - panel gaps, paint at places, plastic quality, general fit and finish for the price (yes I know it's the cheapest soft roarer but it will cost 10.8 lacs onwards)
- rear view seemed limited from the internal rvm
- the in-house six speed is yet to be tested for refinement and usability

Nitin,
Just booked one ..did a good TD too..

Agree on the imposing looks
It may not be hving the best panel/finish, but having seen wat is at offer at that price range in other SUV's this is by far long way ahead..
Rear view is pretty good on the road.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:07   #2247
BHPian

@honeybee
my replies are in bold.

What do you define as 'overpricing' ? Would you be happy if the XUV500 were offered at 6L?

Justfully profitable price for W6 version with steel wheels is 9L

Also I doubt if the majority of the people who go for either the XUV or its competitors (or for that matter any vehicle or any product) are really 'well informed and long for a global spec product at true global price'. That's kinda hard to swallow.

ONLY urban car buyers are those who long for features like good engine, multizone FATC, infotainment with USB/AUX, BLUTOOTH,ABS,AIRBAGS, PARKING SENSORS, STEERING MOUNT CONTROLS, DAYTIME LEDS ETC. 90% sales OF XUV will be happening only in metros and tire 1 urban market. Most of these buyers are working in MNCs, corportates, banks, and other flurishing software/hardwar infra sectors and travel frequently outside india and long a global spec vehicle at global price for sure.

I mean seriously do you have any evidence Mahindras have been playing duopoly (hand in hand with the Tatas at that!) ?

I do not have specific evidence. Their pricing, features provisions,attitudes are nothing but duopoly reflecting redtape licence raj era remnants.

A profit of 2k crores?? I am sure it would have been frontline news in most financial newspapers. And if the JLR were capable of generating this mammoth amount of profit, I doubt if it had been up for sale.

FYI, this is what I just found in the Financial Express (JLR profit boosts Tata Motors NET):

JLR drives tata motors profit to 260 .71 percent to Rs. 2,571 crores
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/jlr-drives-tata-motors-profit-threefold-in/796022/

Indian buyers should be allowed to enjoy good global spec vehicles at global price. Even in heavy tax prevailing countries at 25K USD (Rs. 15L) one can get good comfy model diesel SUV with A/T. iN OUR iNDIA Licence Raj Indian corporates will have to give way

Last edited by harimakesh : 30th September 2011 at 18:23.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:12   #2248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
Onroad Prices in Bangalore

XUV BS4 W6 2WD : 1420179
XUV BS4 W8 2WD : 1520179
XUV BS4 W8 AWD : 1636135

Pretty impressive for a car this magnitude. As always, will be looking forward to the official team-bhp review.
Abhishek,

That seems wrong. The OTR minus regn charges, for W6 is 13.4
Old 30th September 2011, 18:14   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
I went back and came back with family at 3:30 and they had clocked 16 bookings and by another 45 mins it were 50+. I literally had to glue the sales guy to the seat going mad and overwhelmed by swarm of people flashing wads of 10k - some asking for 3 bookings some even 5 in one go .
Congratulations on your purchase. This car seems to be generating an awesome response. At least 3 people in my company are trying to find out more about the exchange scheme for their Scorpio.
I hope M&M does'nt make the mistake of raising prices because then the VFM value will go down considerably. I think Aria has done a good job of opening up crossover segment but Mahindras have stolen their thunder, and how!!
Old 30th September 2011, 18:21   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Gentlemen .. pls relax , enough you have all churned your brains in some profound reviews and efforts to put the picture on table
My suggestion.. go to the showroom and see it in person. The launch webcast, the pictures here, and TD reviews do not do justice to this product as seen from naked eye.

I have booked W8 non AWD and in Black it would look like a 2 million rupees car
Hey! thats a good number! and congrats on booking the beast!
Can you please tell me what are the interior trims available?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks