Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2009, 09:28   #226
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I dont think they will kill the Scorpio anytime soon - it is a proven vehicle and gives them very good sales.

the new SUV (in my opinion) would be positioned between the top end Scorpio variant and the lower end "Premium SUV's" like the Captiva, Endeavour, Tucson, Fortuner, Outlander, X Trail etc.

If Mahindra's good work in the past is anything to go by, then I am sure we will get a good solid, work horse of a package in this new SUV.

I hope that they pay enough attention to the fit and finish quality, to enable them to actually compete very easily with the premium SUV's available.

If this new SUV has standard 4x4 and comes with some of the nice bells and whistles and yet remains rugged, tough and capable of good standard of off roading I am sure there will be lots of takers for it. I am sure the price will be fair, given Mahindra's VFM concepts - say around 14-15 Lacs or so.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:56   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I dont think they will kill the Scorpio anytime soon - it is a proven vehicle and gives them very good sales.

the new SUV (in my opinion) would be positioned between the top end Scorpio variant and the lower end "Premium SUV's" like the Captiva, Endeavour, Tucson, Fortuner, Outlander, X Trail etc.

If Mahindra's good work in the past is anything to go by, then I am sure we will get a good solid, work horse of a package in this new SUV.

I hope that they pay enough attention to the fit and finish quality, to enable them to actually compete very easily with the premium SUV's available.

If this new SUV has standard 4x4 and comes with some of the nice bells and whistles and yet remains rugged, tough and capable of good standard of off roading I am sure there will be lots of takers for it. I am sure the price will be fair, given Mahindra's VFM concepts - say around 14-15 Lacs or so.
If thats to believe and come true, there are surely many takers for this beast in that said price range, below 15L is attractive with 4x4 standard with all rich bells alongwith as you said.
Old 17th August 2009, 17:02   #228
Senior - BHPian

get ready for either a buck tooth or a walrus tooth in the front
jokes apart any concrete details on launch date?
Old 27th August 2009, 05:17   #229
BHPian

This SUV is being launched in March next year. Will have 3 ltr engine and priced around 14-15 lacs.
Old 27th August 2009, 07:48   #230
Senior - BHPian

3 ltr engine- that means i can expect about 160-170 bhp & about 36-40 kgm torque?
Old 27th August 2009, 08:57   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
This SUV is being launched in March next year. Will have 3 ltr engine and priced around 14-15 lacs.
How credible is your source? I hope this is true. I think if they give a great overall package, it should give the overpriced imports a run for their money.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:04   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If true that fills an important void in our SUV market. There's pretty much nothing between 10 and 20 lakh.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:09   #233
BHPian

Sounds interesting. Could you please, share some more details and the source of information .
Quote:
Old 27th August 2009, 10:30   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
3 ltr engine- that means i can expect about 160-170 bhp & about 36-40 kgm torque?
I would expect around 200 bhp and around 50kgm of torque if the engine is recently developed. Modern diesels are giving a lot of power and torque and considering the 2.2 ( which was detuned from 140 to 120 for Scorpio ), I think they can come up with a better motor that is quite powerful.

What I want is this : Bring this good motored car, and fortuner will be hit a bit along with others like Captiva and Endy.
To sustain, competiton will be forced to start local assembly of their trucks.

Yes, there will be price difference between fortuner and this car, but Mahindra is a good big name in SUV and the marketing can be done comparing the motors only.
Toyota badge might help, but sales will be affected if fortuner has waiting.

I hope this car comes early.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:55   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I would expect around 200 bhp and around 50kgm of torque if the engine is recently developed. Modern diesels are giving a lot of power and torque and considering the 2.2 ( which was detuned from 140 to 120 for Scorpio ), I think they can come up with a better motor that is quite powerful.

Yes, there will be price difference between fortuner and this car, but Mahindra is a good big name in SUV and the marketing can be done comparing the motors only.
Toyota badge might help, but sales will be affected if fortuner has waiting.

I hope this car comes early.
i think mahindra will not offer a 200 bhp engine keeping FE in mind.

secondly, i dont think the fortuner is a direct competition as the fortuner is priced much higher at 22 lakhs. yes, if the new mahindra is priced anywhere above 17 lakhs, then there is a problem as nobody would buy a mahindra when you can get a chevy, honda or toyota for 3 lakhs more.

what matters more is that this new SUV, now being in the premium range, should offer a very spacious & good quality interiors & most importantly, ride quality should be good. handling should also be better. styling comes next & i hope the new grille found in newer mahindra does not spoil the front end like it did in the xylo.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 27th August 2009 at 10:58.
Old 27th August 2009, 15:05   #236
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i think mahindra will not offer a 200 bhp engine keeping FE in mind.
I think, before FE, they should think about the handling. 200 BHP in Scorpio / Xylo like road manners is a disaster just waiting to happen. Mahindra just doesn't seem to get suspension tuning, even after Lotus gave them a tutorial.

Another reason why it won't touch 200 BHP : Drivetrain costs. You really need prograde stuff to handle the torque from such a high output. I'd say 150 - 160 BHP tops.
Old 27th August 2009, 15:32   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guess Lotus Engineers aren't Demi-Gods. There's only as much you can do in the handling department of a breadbox shaped SUV with a narrow wheel base. First think they can do to improve handling is to put some negative offset wheels and increase the wheelbase/track so it won't feel so top heavy.
Old 27th August 2009, 17:36   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Guess Lotus Engineers aren't Demi-Gods. There's only as much you can do in the handling department of a breadbox shaped SUV with a narrow wheel base. First think they can do to improve handling is to put some negative offset wheels and increase the wheelbase/track so it won't feel so top heavy.
I thought this is an all new chassis/platform with some bits and pieces shared with Scorp.
Old 27th August 2009, 18:29   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what matters more is that this new SUV, now being in the premium range, should offer a very spacious & good quality interiors & most importantly, ride quality should be good. handling should also be better. styling comes next & i hope the new grille found in newer mahindra does not spoil the front end like it did in the xylo.
Yes, overall, it must be a good package. Again I hope that they dont end up with a tractor derived motor as in case of Scorpio 2.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
200 BHP in Scorpio / Xylo like road manners is a disaster just waiting to happen.

Another reason why it won't touch 200 BHP : Drivetrain costs. You really need prograde stuff to handle the torque from such a high output. I'd say 150 - 160 BHP tops.
I think that they are working on a completely new platform. Given their records, I doubt this, but a high power output can also give them advantage.

Yes, never considered the transmission part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I thought this is an all new chassis/platform with some bits and pieces shared with Scorp.
Xylo was called new, but it shares a lot of bits from Bolero. This is one of the reason why Mahindra is able to price it low. Although not apparent from outside, the inheritence shows. Also Mahindra has not sorted out handling in Xylo.
Here IMHO, the " all new platform " is suspicious. Though they are planning to hit US with this SUV, only time can tell if this is entire new platform.

The main reason for Scorpio 2.6 being a bad handler is that it was laden with a 350 kg tractor motor that was itself mounted high. Same is case with Xylo too. The engine + passengers are mounted high, no wonder Innova still is the best MUV.

The 3.0 unit must be a new ( not a heavy commercial unit ). After looking at the images, I think the new SUV is wider, but that is just my feeling.
Old 27th August 2009, 19:40   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Yes, overall, it must be a good package. Again I hope that they dont end up with a tractor derived motor as in case of Scorpio 2.6.
when they can make a great engine like the mHawk, i feel they would not take chances with their 16 lakh SUV. they better not!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks