Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 12:28   #2596
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
I don't think it is. As of yesterday morning IG at Chennai had taken close to 100 bookings (2 and 1/2 days after the launch) and was told that IG in Bangalore has done close to 200+. Going by these numbers, 8500 cars after day 1 rather 1/2 day after announcing the price seems to be a very tall claim.
I agree with you. Now.. let's try some facts and see what falls out:

1. Reportedly, the facility has capacity for 1400 a year and they can stretch with great difficulty to 2000 a year. As per data
available now, it's impossible to scale this up quickly in the next 6-8 months.
2. Even if they have only 4500 bookings, they would not be able to deliver this in 2 years.

Inferences:

1. They will have to stop taking bookings any time now to protect credibility.
2. M&M would raise the price, anybody's guess how much. This is a golden opportunity for easy picking.
2. People who book would go crazy waiting for 12 months +
3. Trading and premiums would start... simple rule of demand and supply.
4. This would not affect other SUV's and sedans as much as people initially thought; 2K cars a year would not be a serious threat though it would take away numbers. Competitors can sleep easier

Anymore information, inferences? Anyone?

Would be interesting to see how this pans out.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 4th October 2011 at 12:29.
Old 4th October 2011, 12:31   #2597
BHPian

Went to Sterling Motors, Gurgaon, for the third time to have a look at the car, still no test drive in sight. Every time the lady on the reception says that the test drive will be available from tomorrow 3 PM onwards ( huff… Their tomorrow never comes).

Anyways, here are my initial observations after the three visits:-

1) The car is pulling people to the showroom in hoards, even though the sales staff is courteous, they really have no time to sit down peacefully and discuss the details with you (maybe due to the fact that I went alone all three times, unlike the numerous families complete with Mom- Dad, Uncle - Aunty and 3-4 children coming together to see their dream car).

2) The 5OO looks best in person, no picture can do justice to the actual presence of the car.

3) In my opinion , this is one of the rarest vehicle which looks good in all available colors. Be it White, Black, Silver, Army Green or even Purple. Every shade gives the vehicle a different character

4) The quality of the interiors is not upto the mark, specially the black and plum shade. No doubt it’s the best SUV you can buy for 12 lacs, but, if you compare the finish levels with 12 lac Sedans, the interior feel and quality is 2 levels below. But, yes the but again, have a look at the feature list and you are blown away.

5) The front seats lend you good support and you easily find the best driving position, everything is well laid out, with every button within easy reach. The steering wheel has got a good grip and I think is one of the best finished areas of the car. Have a look at the rear view mirror and you are scared, all you can see are beautiful faces of the other occupants , where is the Road dude?? Now I am really worried about this and will have to really take note of this whenever I get the test drive.

6) Loads of room for the second row of seats (they do recline), you can stretch, you can bend and kids can play, all in all this definitely is going to be a very comfortable vehicle for those long drives. The AC vents look neat , but, yes again the but, the overhead white lights look outright cheap.

7) Third row: A 6’1” adult like me can sit there at best for 30-40 mins, this area is best suited for kids.

When the vehicle was launched I was ready to buy it just because of the interior look and features, test drive be dammed. However, after spending some time looking at the car, the test drive has become the most important part. If the baby drives well and rides well, can live with the compromised interior quality and finish. But, the feature list by itself cannot cover up for the poor finishing and bad drive (I sincerely hope that’s not the case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

1. Reportedly, the facility has capacity for 1400 a year and they can stretch with great difficulty to 2000 a year. As per data
2. Even if they have only 4500 bookings, they would not be able to deliver this in 2 years.

Inferences:

2. M&M would raise the price, anybody's guess how much. This is a golden opportunity for easy picking.
4. This would not affect other SUV's and sedans as much as people initially thought; 2K cars a year would not be a serious threat though it would take away numbers. Competitors can sleep easier

--Ramky
======
A little correction, the capacity is 2000 units per month , not year.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th October 2011 at 12:51. Reason: Correcting the effect of a small software glitch which caused a duplication. Things should be ok now.
Old 4th October 2011, 12:32   #2598
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:

Inferences:

--Ramky
======
Hi Ramky,

The production capacity which Mahindra has for the XUV is 2000 per /month and can be ramped up to 4000 / month in 3 months. This was from one of the press interviews which had done in the Chakan plan. So even if they have booked 10,000 cars till date (Yes, this is also confirmed), they should be able to deliver these within the next 4-5 months.

This is one of the articles from Asian Age news:
http://www.asianage.com/business/mah...cle-xuv500-982

Last edited by Behemoth : 4th October 2011 at 12:40.
Old 4th October 2011, 12:33   #2599
BHPian

Quote:

--Ramky
======
Ramky - If I am right, it should be1400 per month. Having spent 4 years to develop and launch and with such an aggressive pricing, 1400 per year would be suicidal. I was told that already 2000 cars are manufactured and is ready to be shipped...(not a reliable source though).
Old 4th October 2011, 12:36   #2600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Ramky,

The production capacity which Mahindra has for the XUV is 1800 per /month and can be ramped up to 4000 / month in 3 months. This was from one of the press interviews which had done in the Chakan plan. So even if they have booked 10,000 cars till date (Yes, this is also confirmed), they should be able to deliver these within the next 4-5 months.
Hai,

Press interviews are great...... need I say more. They are zonked by the response; working frantically to re-jig plans, I have it from the horse's mouth

If they can deliver 10K cars in 6 months it would be a great achievement, I seriously doubt this. Let's hope for the best for the sake of all those people who have put hard money in bookings.

--Ramky
=======
Old 4th October 2011, 12:38   #2601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can you quote your source?

this

Mahindra launches XUV500 at Rs 10.8 lakh : Business: News India Today

and many other articles quote the initial volumes @ 2000 per month.

I do not think any manufacturer would be so foolish to have 1400 per year as production capacity and price it targeting profits from volumes.
Old 4th October 2011, 12:43   #2602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Ramky - If I am right, it should be1400 per month. Having spent 4 years to develop and launch and with such an aggressive pricing, 1400 per year would be suicidal. I was told that already 2000 cars are manufactured and is ready to be shipped...(not a reliable source though).
Hai,

You are right....... 1400 per year is not correct.

I think the numbers are 1400 per month, so they would be able to deliver 8K to 10 K in 6 months. Just checked, they are scaling up to try to reach 2k per month without affecting quality.

At least 3 months waiting would be involved for people who booked, enough for trading to start.

@ Anil: Sorry...... I stand corrected!! You would appreciate that sources need to be protected.

--Ramky
=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 4th October 2011 at 12:45.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 12:45   #2603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Can you quote your source?
Even I read somewhere that initial capacity is 1.5K per month and will be increased to 2K.

I checked it with the dealer sales person he also confirmed the same. Let me also check with my folks @ Mahindra
Old 4th October 2011, 12:56   #2604
BHPian

Quote:
Hai,

You are right....... 1400 per year is not correct.

I think the numbers are 1400 per month, so they would be able to deliver 8K to 10 K in 6 months. Just checked, they are scaling up to try to reach 2k per month without affecting quality.

At least 3 months waiting would be involved for people who booked, enough for trading to start.

@ Anil: Sorry...... I stand corrected!! You would appreciate that sources need to be protected.

--Ramky
=======
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Even I read somewhere that initial capacity is 1.5K per month and will be increased to 2K.

I checked it with the dealer sales person he also confirmed the same. Let me also check with my folks @ Mahindra
Prudent decision would be to stop the bookings immediately and put a full page ad thanking all the customers
Old 4th October 2011, 13:31   #2605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
4) The quality of the interiors is not upto the mark, specially the black and plum shade. No doubt it’s the best SUV you can buy for 12 lacs, but, if you compare the finish levels with 12 lac Sedans, the interior feel and quality is 2 levels below.
Forget the 12 lakh priced ones, compare the XUV interiors with cars almost half the price (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html). You can see 'chinese' written all inside.
Old 4th October 2011, 13:34   #2606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Forget the 12 lakh priced ones, compare the XUV interiors with cars almost half the price (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html). You can see 'chinese' written all inside.
Ideal comparison would be to compare it with the SUVs around in the same price bracket. Of course we want excellent quality products but then interiors is NOT the ONLY thing that makes a car right?
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 14:03   #2607
BHPian

Can someone please add POLL here for Mahindra XUV 500 Colors? it would be interesting.. what you say?

Satin Whitle
Volcano Black
Amazon Green
Moondust Silver
Tuscan Red
Opulent Purple
Dolphin Grey
Old 4th October 2011, 14:51   #2608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Ideal comparison would be to compare it with the SUVs around in the same price bracket. Of course we want excellent quality products but then interiors is NOT the ONLY thing that makes a car right?
You know its very interesting, during the time spent at the Dealership broadly came across 2 segments of customers:-

1) Who felt that the interior quality is much important. They could live with absence of features like Navigation, Automatic headlamps and wipers, cruise control, voice commands, DVD player but want the interior quality and finish to be much better.

2) People who really love to have all these features, a little inferior interior quality be dammed.

Think Mahindra listened to the second set of people and loaded the car to the brim. Just hope the car rides and handles as nicely as well.

Well again called Sterling Motors, Gurgaon to inquire about the test drive and their patience levels seem to be going down. Was told that no test drive available before next Monday and BANG... Call disconnected.

Guess being the only Mahindra dealer in Gurgaon they are flooded with bookings. Well if you look at it from their perspective, its logical, why offer test drives when 100's of people are just paying the booking amounts left right and center and requesting the dealer to take their booking first.

What to do now??

Last edited by Joyb : 4th October 2011 at 15:10. Reason: posting agian in short time gap
Old 4th October 2011, 16:21   #2609
BHPian

On Sunday, I visited Mahindra showroom along with wife and kids. For wife, it was as if Love at first sight. She sat inside felt comfortable and compelled me to book the car despite of the fact that no test drive was available on that day.

Can't over rule the home ministry, booked a W6-Silver witha request to deliver it in Jan'12 with manufacturing date of year 2012 not 2011.
Old 4th October 2011, 16:45   #2610
BHPian

XUV500 vs Aria vs Endeavour vs Fortuner comparison (source dws auto )
Mahindra XUV500 snapshot: Performance, features, safety and value for money evaluation of Mahindra XUV500 SUV in India | DWS Auto India

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-xuv.jpg

I am really concerned about the specs highlighted in red circle, because as per my information
GC - 210 mm
Kerb Weight is 1750 kg

how reliable is dws auto information ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks