Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 12:42   #526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
I had seen Dr. Goenka's interview he clearly said that the car will manufactured in Chennai.
AFAIK, M&M doesn't have any manufacturing facility in Chennai, also heard they have set up a HUGE facility in Chakan.

Spike
Old 4th May 2010, 14:23   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finject View Post
Is M&M going to manufacture the world SUV out of its new facility at Chakan, near Pune in Maharashtra? Or will it continue to use the same facilities that it did for the Xylo and the Scorpio?
The global SUV is to be made at the brand new Chakan plant that has cost the company a billion dollars. It will make many other products also.
Old 4th May 2010, 14:39   #528
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion the last picture could be Renault (Nissan) Koleos or Ford Kuga under testing in India for launch in Asia.

Still not convinced with the idea if the vehicle being Mahindra World SUV.
Old 4th May 2010, 14:51   #529
BHPian

This is not Xylo. They have camouflaged it. Manufacturers will currently use the existing parts and test it on the road for new chassis.
I have heard that Mahindra will be coming up with a smaller SUV.
Old 5th May 2010, 15:00   #530
BHPian

The last pictures clearly indicate that the SUV is not as tall as the Xylo or the 'mighty muscular' Scorpio. This looks like more of a next generation SUV from Mahindra. I am extremely eager to see the styling of the grille and the front to see if Mahindra can pull off a modern SUV out of their old skool basket!
Old 5th May 2010, 23:16   #531
BHPian

Test Drove the Mahindra w201

Hi Last week I was called by a person working for a research company (this person had apparently taken my survey when I bought my new car).

He told me that Mahindra was launching a new vehicle and they wanted people to test drive it to see what they can do to improve it by comparing it with otha models.

To the scene- It was in the Mahindra city and upon reaching there we learnt that it as just a survey for testing the seats as they are still working on the seats for the final production vehicle.

The cars for testing were - Toyota Innova, Chevrolet Captiva and the Mahindra W201. The Hyundai Santa fe was there but then someone had run the car over a bump at high speed and the clutch was now gone (well that was the reason given to us).

Now the test-

First was the Captiva - this I am sure a lot of people know about and is the tried and tested vehicle here.

Second the Innova - again tried and tested.

Third was the W201 - First impression from outside was WOW, awesome design, huge grill and WIDE tyres. The front bonnet was nice and sloping and the lights were completely something new thats ever seen on a Mahindra.

Get inside and the first thing noticeable is the fit and finish a complete disappointment but then again we were told that this is a pre production car and its just meant for testing so we have to wait and see how the real production car is going to be. The Interior design though was really eye catching. Especially the Ac vents which were a kinda of star shaped or Pentagon shaped which I have never seen before in any car. The speedo and the Rev counter had a nice touch to them. Right in the center of the speedo dial was the fuel gauge in digital form and the in the center of the rev counter was the temp gauge again in digital form.

The seats were wide and comfy compared to the Captiva which I felt was a bit narrow after driving the W201.

The Drive-

Turn the ignition and there are a host of lights that come up and you realise it has lights for ABS, ESP, Traction Control, and Airbags for both driver and passenger. Though I am not sure if these were working as I said this was a pre production vehicle.

The noise from outside was loud but that is also because we were inside a building which looked like a production line.

Anyway release the clutch and the vehicle moves quite well and smooth. Oh ya I realised when slotting into the first gear that the car has 6 forward and 1 reverse gear.

Getting out of the building and we were asked to go around like and obstacle course and I pushed the vehicle and it stayed planted on the road during a curve at 80+ speeds, I dint get the point of the 6th gear as I could put it into 6th only after I crossed 120kmph. The car felt good enough to reach 100 in about 15secs. This is approx figure as I couldnt get to take my watch to test it. Over bumps it really felt better than riding the Captiva over it but in pick up and refinement the captiva was ahead of the w201.

Once we reached back I got a chance to look under the hood of the w201 and I realised it was a transversely mounted engine meaning which its an AWD also I am not sure about this but I think its a 5cylinder engine. They had a provision to install a camera in the sides and under the chassis probably to record the vehicle movements over bumps.

Over I felt the vehicle is a good package if the fit and finish is improved. The vehicle dint loose out on power even once and it looked to be oround 150bhp though I am not sure of the figures.

If priced well when launched Mahindra Definitely has another winner in its hands.

P.s. I got some pics but dont know how to upload them. Can someone please help, thanks.
Old 6th May 2010, 02:50   #532
BHPian

AV8ER, good details posted by you on the new Mahindra SUV. Have you driven a Scorpio? How good is the handling compared to it?
Old 6th May 2010, 10:06   #533
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK it does not have a 5 cylinder engine, it is 4 cylinder inline.

Spike
Old 6th May 2010, 10:09   #534
Senior - BHPian

av8er,
Good review. We are very eagerly waiting to see the pics. I wish i too had an similiar opportunity!
Old 6th May 2010, 10:23   #535
Senior - BHPian

@av8er: Thats a nice review. Did you take the vehicle on public road was it in a closed track?

And please post pictures.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:29   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice report av8er! Here's how you can post pictures,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html
Old 6th May 2010, 11:29   #537
BANNED

@av8er: Lucky you! good to see some real world feed back on the debated SUV!
PLEASE upload the pics! looking forward to it!
Old 6th May 2010, 11:37   #538
BHPian

@av8er. Are you allowed to post the W201 pictures? May be it is still under wraps and please don't get into any trouble.
Old 6th May 2010, 12:39   #539
BHPian

By the time it gets launched, hope Mahindra fits an ipad customised as music system and navigation aid. At least they are exploring it as of now. (source is reliable).
Old 6th May 2010, 12:48   #540
BANNED

@av8er: Get the pics out man. This thread is going to be the most watched in here now.

If you still cant upload, send them to me abhiforum (at) yahoo (dot) com. I will do the honour for you.

But please the pics.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed