Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2010, 04:17   #571
BHPian

From what Av8er said, its a 5pot engine. Now, Do you think they are going to fix a 2.2 mHawk engine in it? My prayers are for a 3 ltr engine. This really look very heavy and the rear view mirrors look pretty big like a prados.

Av8er, please be gracious enough to let us know about the engine specs. Thank you.
Old 8th May 2010, 05:22   #572
Senior - BHPian

Finally, I can be optimistic about a new Mahindra design. I do think that the grill looks quite good from whatever we can make of it under the covers.

I think it'll do well even if it is priced at 16lakhs, Mahindra usually gets it's product placements right.
Old 8th May 2010, 08:24   #573
Senior - BHPian

a great great scoop buddy. thanks a ton. we have been waiting for this. finally, i feel this could be a worthy alternative to our innova, much better than the overpriced fortuner.

we were waiting for a car which could seat 7 people in comfort, had a good ride quality, was easy to get in & out (for my parents), was spacious, was reliable & had a good engine. seems like the W201 has it all & is tailor made for us. that it is from mahindra is a bonus!
Old 8th May 2010, 13:51   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
Hi Guys sorry to keep you waiting I get online only in the nights.

As someone said yes the car is going to be in the 14-16 lack price range. It is a 7 seater, 2-3-2 configuration.

I test drove the vehicle inside the Mahindra city and they have a track made around their factory. Though we were asked to just go randomly around but then we did put it through bumps and also slush and a road with loose gravel.

On loose gravel the vehicle held much better than the captiva which surprised me. The Captiva's wheels just kept spinning when the pedal was pushed to the floor but the W201 did have a little spin but then it caught the road and you could feel it.

I did see 5 fuel lines going to the injectors, so that is the reason I figured this was a 5pot engine. The engine bay was covered and I had to really bend and scoop to look inside.

It definitely has a better ride than the Scorpio. I have driven a scorpio a couple of times and it feels like a cradle but this was more stable that way and the braking was also much better. Oh ya coming to brakes it had disc brakes all around.

BTW a small note to tall drivers who have driven the Captiva, My friend who had come with me is a 6footer and his knee was brushing against the dash on the Captiva but in the W201 he had loads of place and when I pushed the seat back I could just barely touch the pedals thats how much is the seat travel.

I am not sure if I am not allowed to post pics cos nobody asked me not to take any nor did they make me sign anywhere where it says I am not supposed to leak any information. Infact we were not even asked to switch off our phones and the photos were taken from our phones.

I am sure everyone is eagerly waiting for this SUV and I am sure if they just get the quality niggles out they definitely have a true Indian SUV.

Great Scoop buddy,

I think they have 2.2 Mhawk 140 ps engine configuration which they use for export scorpio, which will sit on this new SUV too, with monocoque construction, that engine would be enough the only thing with transversely mounting of engine they might have ousourced gear box

about 5 fuel lines what I think is one must be the return line, since engine is transversely mounted you could see it easily

how comfortable was the 3rd row seat, did you get a chance to sit in the 3rd row, hows the leg, head room and all

do you have any luggage space, I am sure the 2nd & 3rd row would fold flat if this model is aimed at international market

I also think the price of this car would go in the range on 11 to 13 lakhs or slightly below and it will compete with TATA ARIA or TATA NEW SAFARI

lets watch

also on W201's better performance on loose gravel must be due to 4x4, captiva manual one is 4x2 and front wheel driven, so weak traction

Btw was there a 4x4 select option or it was all wheel drive like CRV

Last edited by Santy : 8th May 2010 at 13:58.
Old 8th May 2010, 23:51   #575
BHPian

Hi guys, The 7th page in this thread has the interiors of the w201 interiors in the 5th pic. I just saw it. It is similar just that I got to see a finished dash and not an unfinished like the one in the pic. The layout and the AC vents are similar.

One thing I really liked was the Dials for the speedometer and the Tacho, it has a green backlight to it and also the fuel gauge and the temp gauge looked cool sitting right in the center of the Speedo and tacho respectively.

On the Engine I am not sure if its the M-hawk cos I have driven the M-hawk and the M-eagle and this did sound a feel a bit different. Though it could be the same engine making 140PS. I dint see any 4wd switch and I was told its an AWD.

No I could not get to sit in the third row as I could not even open the tailgate due to all the camouflaging the second row was good with enough leg space and head room too but as I said I felt a bit claustrophobic, but it is mainly cos it was soo dark during daytime again the blame goes to the camouflaging.

I was told its definitely going to be more expensive than the Scorpio and by the looks of it and the equipments that it came with I am sure it would be too. 12-14 lakhs is what I would put it at but we have to wait and see how Mahindra place it.

I am trying to get a pic from my friend which has the back view of the vehicle even though its not very clear but it shows the tail lamps. Once I do get it I will upload it.

I have also asked him to give his inputs into this thread as this thread seems to have a lot of clicks and I want to give fellow Bhpians a better picture on the new Beast from Mahindra.
Old 9th May 2010, 12:30   #576
BHPian

Great Scoop!! Mahindra is taking sure steps towards building a global SUV from india. I think this is their candidate to launch in US along with the pickup trucks.

Good job mahindra!
Old 14th May 2010, 14:44   #577
BHPian

Hey Guys, any idea whether there is a platform sharing with Ssangyong Rexton on this SUV. Remember Ssangyong is badly in need of cash. I heard it earlier and now something similar is mentioned in another site - motoroids.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:25   #578
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra is on right direction. They are making each of their products a great success on road even with the cheapest plastics. I'm sure this will soar them high and ofcourse their target is global. Having an Innova(known for its comfort) for comparison, definitely they are trying their best to bring in the most luxurious ride in the segment.

Noone is regretting on spending a 11L for a Scorpio VLX or 9L for a E8 Xylo. If priced below 16L, no doubt it would sell like hot cakes with its Macho road presence and AWD.

I'm longing to buy one, so praying the launch delay long and long (so that i would be rich so as to own one,Dont kill me if you are already rich?)
Old 14th May 2010, 16:37   #579
Senior - BHPian

Now I'm wondering if I jumped the gun in buying a Scorpio!!

Well, Dec 2010 is quite some time away. If this SUV were launched earlier, and if M & M got its act together as far as the interiors and other miscellaneous quality niggles are concerned, then the Yeti would have had a serious competitor!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 14th May 2010, 17:50   #580
Senior - BHPian

I quite like those headlights inspired from F/L Q7.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:33   #581
BANNED

Here are more pics of the same vehicle .

The windshield confirms that it is a mahindra . look at the door opening handle .The handle has to be moved sideways . The rear wheels are independent suspension . rear wheels also have disc brakes . The middle row as usual is mahindra . It is cramped .

The design look like a copy of the CRV.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-image_012.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-image_013.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-image_014.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-image_015.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-image_016.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-image_017.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-image_018.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-image_019.jpg  

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 14th May 2010 at 20:38.
Old 14th May 2010, 22:06   #582
Senior - BHPian

does the unique door handle actually work comfortably? also, where are the twin exhausts? the front seat seems spacious.
Old 14th May 2010, 22:37   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
A Bad MSPaint Job reveals the following face of the mahindra SUV. surprisingly this time the famous 'Rabbit tooth' seems a bit subtle.It definately has its cues from jeep grand Cherokee.

Edited.
Attachment 344591

Jeep

Attachment 344592
well the jeep looks great ! neat lines very well proportioned. Everything balanced. The 'Nice' foto is now downloaded into my hardrive
The new steed from the mahindra stable , i am afraid seems to have all the possible curves , triangles , chamfers , circles , squares all rolled into one fluid mass. As usual. And the knockout is persisting with the corny grill design.
The jeep is quite something .
In my honest opinion.
Old 15th May 2010, 16:38   #584
nbr
BHPian

Fyi

Found this image on another auto website.Source: Velocitimag.com

From the previous posts,it looks like its going to be shod with daylight headlights found in expensive cars like Audi & Merc.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-mahindra_new_suv_w201_rendering_image.jpg  

Old 15th May 2010, 19:40   #585
Senior - BHPian

The gear shift lever looks like its from a truck!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks