Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:23   #1021
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Detailed Interior Spy Pics on Page 50! More pics on p

Found these links related to Mahindra W 201

Velociti Magazine: Rendering: Mahindra's new Sport Utility Vehicle codenamed W201

2011 Mahindra W201 World SUV primed for a launch in April-May! | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:12   #1022
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Detailed Interior Spy Pics on Page 50! More pics on p

I believe it will take at least a year or two (post launch) for this M&M W201 SUV product to stablize and for its typical initial glitches and niggles to get sorted.

Meanwhile they should quickly bring in the Korando and Rexton without making us wait for many more aeons.

And I am also hoping that the Renault Duster lands up quickly so that many buyers will have a good alternative for a functional, no nonsense SUV with 4WD, safety features and a reasonable price.

Frankly Im quite tired of all these poseur type SUV's with their ridiculously high price tags. The Duster if all goes well, will make a refreshing change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
If you see some of the spy pics the car seems to be tested at different heights. In some pics it looks really low like an outlander and in other much higher like the Scorpio.

Given Renault is planning to launch the Duster in 2012 which is apparently a big hit in Europe with unheard of waiting periods mainly due to its no non sense styling and 4x4 capability at a good price, Mahindra have a job on their hands getting this out this year.
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:44   #1023

My friend who is working in this project had called me today. He called me for some other reasons. But he told me that they are trying to launch by Diwali 2011. It will be in the price range of Santa Fe.
Old 23rd March 2011, 23:07   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arawinth View Post
My friend who is working in this project had called me today. He called me for some other reasons. But he told me that they are trying to launch by Diwali 2011. It will be in the price range of Santa Fe.
Mahindra is not so foolish to launch it at a Santa Fe price .
It will surely be around 15-17 lakhs iam sure going by the facebook messages .
Old 24th March 2011, 00:06   #1025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Mahindra is not so foolish to launch it at a Santa Fe price .
It will surely be around 15-17 lakhs iam sure going by the facebook messages .
Mahindra would surely try to avoid a direct fight with Fortuner. Its a huge success, and would surely give W201 sleepless nights.

I bet Mahindra will play the value card, as they did with Xylo against Innova.
Old 24th March 2011, 00:14   #1026

Lets hope Mahindra is not 'so' foolish to price it in Santafe range.

According to him (my friend who is working in Mahindra in product development team and working as a part of this project) it will be the most ambitious project from Mahindra till date. Lets wait and watch.

I am sure that mahindra definitely would have understood from Tata's Aria experience (according to the dealers in Kerala it is having very cold response thanks to its price).
Old 25th March 2011, 10:39   #1027
BHPian

I had a chat with the Senior Technician at my A$$. He just came back from Nashik after a preview of the W201. He says it will be launched in may 2011 at a price of 15 lakhs.
Old 25th March 2011, 15:35   #1028
BANNED

15 lacs plus road taxes and insurance etc will make it reach 17.5-18 on road bangalore. Would this be the top spec or not?
If it is the top spec, then not bad, but still not that great either - especially for a completely home grown design.
My guess though is that it will probably start with the basic spec at 15 and go up to 17 for the top spec, which will then become 20 ish on road bangalore. Else they will end up cannibalizing the Scorpio sales. Some of their biggest bugbears are panel gaps, the interior quality, plastics used and overall fit and finish - somehow I feel a certain 'finesse' is lacking in these areas. Else I m sure it will be a good effort from them.
But if you ask me, will I pay 18 -20 for an M&M - I dont think so. Same way that I wont pay 18-20 for a Tata ARIA.

the more I hear of this W201 the more I am getting hungry for things like the Duster and the new rumoured Ford and so on. also the Korando etc. What is needed very badly is a well engineered, good quality, functional, 4WD vehicle with Diesel engine and all safety stuff which is achievable for utilitarian types like me, at a fair and reasonable price. another desirable would be good quality interiors, properly designed with ergonomics and comfort in mind. We really desperately need some more choices out there in this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
I had a chat with the Senior Technician at my A$$. He just came back from Nashik after a preview of the W201. He says it will be launched in may 2011 at a price of 15 lakhs.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th March 2011 at 15:38.
Old 25th March 2011, 21:10   #1029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
15 lacs plus road taxes and insurance etc will make it reach 17.5-18 on road bangalore. Would this be the top spec or not?
If it is the top spec, then not bad, but still not that great either - especially for a completely home grown design.
My guess though is that it will probably start with the basic spec at 15 and go up to 17 for the top spec, which will then become 20 ish on road bangalore. Else they will end up cannibalizing the Scorpio sales. Some of their biggest bugbears are panel gaps, the interior quality, plastics used and overall fit and finish - somehow I feel a certain 'finesse' is lacking in these areas. Else I m sure it will be a good effort from them.
But if you ask me, will I pay 18 -20 for an M&M - I dont think so. Same way that I wont pay 18-20 for a Tata ARIA.

the more I hear of this W201 the more I am getting hungry for things like the Duster and the new rumoured Ford and so on. also the Korando etc. What is needed very badly is a well engineered, good quality, functional, 4WD vehicle with Diesel engine and all safety stuff which is achievable for utilitarian types like me, at a fair and reasonable price. another desirable would be good quality interiors, properly designed with ergonomics and comfort in mind. We really desperately need some more choices out there in this segment.
I believe we will have to wait till the launch / confirmation of the spec of the car ! I expect Mahindra to give consumers enough gadgets to make it feel VFM. I somehow feel I can put that kind of cash on M&M than TATA - personal opinion though.

I have read this comment on cannibalisation of a model by another from the same stable in multiple threads - but I am not able to make a logic out of it. How does it matter since the sales are going to bring in cash to the parent company ?! If I am a manufacturing company, I dont mind the sales of any of the models even by ovelapping two models as long as it is bringing me profits. Or do we have some other logic here?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th March 2011 at 21:11.
Old 26th March 2011, 08:34   #1030
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I believe we will have to wait till the launch / confirmation of the spec of the car ! I expect Mahindra to give consumers enough gadgets to make it feel VFM. I somehow feel I can put that kind of cash on M&M than TATA - personal opinion though.

I have read this comment on cannibalisation of a model by another from the same stable in multiple threads - but I am not able to make a logic out of it. How does it matter since the sales are going to bring in cash to the parent company ?! If I am a manufacturing company, I dont mind the sales of any of the models even by ovelapping two models as long as it is bringing me profits. Or do we have some other logic here?
@swift VFM it may become, but it would be VFM at 18-20L on road (like the Yeti) with all the bells and whistles. It would be VFM for a certain section of buyers only. People who live on Scorpio/Safari, may not be able to stretch to 20L limit. That would be too much. (Thats again my personal opinion. Comments welcome)

On the Cannibalisation of model: I think Maruti may live by it, but every one else may not! All companies would like all their models to succeed in the market. If M&M has Scorpio and W201, in parallel, they would like to cover all price points and at the same time, keeping VFM badge on.

Now this tricky if one also brings in Korando into open. Aria pricing has not helped its sales. M&M may not want to go the same way. So the best band would be the 15-17L range (OTR). But then if that is the correct range for W201, what about Korando? Korando pricing cannot go below Scorpio surely. So at best it can be in parallel to W201, which again does not make sense. A dynamic equilibrium is very difficult today between all the models of M&M stable.

On the Dacia thread, Shankar had mentioned the following order:

Quote:
- Duster Top end with 4x4 and all safety features - 11-12 lacs OTR BLR
- Scorpio Top end -13.5 -14 lacs OTR BLR
- Safari Top end - 14 lacs OTR BLR
- Korando Top end -15-16 lacs OTR BLR
- New Mahindra W201 Top end version - 16-17 lacs OTR BLR (to me, this looks very likely because they will benchmark their World SUV against the ARIA.)
- Tata Aria - 19.6 lacs OTR BLR.
Going by the above order, W201 pricing is a delicate balance, but the section would be extremely sensitive and all eyes would be watching.
Old 26th March 2011, 10:15   #1031
BHPian

In all probability yes, the launch is not far away, going by the sweeping advertisements in newspaper about 'Rise' motto. Else ad money will go to waste if they don't capitalize on the hype generated. People's memory is too short to last till Oct-Nov.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
Old 26th March 2011, 10:37   #1032
BHPian

Yesterday 2 guys from Mahindra had come to my office to handover an invite for a get-together tomorrow . While chatting they told that new suv will be launched by mid may around 15 lacs price and in 2 trim levels .The main plus point as per them would be the suspension setup and handling compared to scorpio . Lets wait and see what's in store
Old 26th March 2011, 11:09   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I saw the vehicle and have taken many pics. The interiors look stylish, we have to wait for the final car to get a feel of quality. theough
@abhi: still no pics from you?

BH.
Old 30th March 2011, 19:34   #1034
BANNED

would love to see it. wonder what the fit and finish levels will be like though. am always going to remain concerned on this front until M&M prove me wrong. And I will be glad if and when they do prove me wrong.
Lets hope they can at least match the Hyundai Tucson levels of fit and finish if not do better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Yesterday 2 guys from Mahindra had come to my office to handover an invite for a get-together tomorrow . While chatting they told that new suv will be launched by mid may around 15 lacs price and in 2 trim levels .The main plus point as per them would be the suspension setup and handling compared to scorpio . Lets wait and see what's in store
Old 31st March 2011, 23:45   #1035
BHPian

Another glimpse of the W201.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-dsc01141.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks