Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 13:22   #541
A.R
BHPian

Great update there! I am eagerly waiting for the launch of two vehicles: The new Mahindra SUV & the new TATA Safari. I have delayed my purchase plans by over 6 months now!!! Hope hey launch it soon.
Old 6th May 2010, 13:45   #542
BHPian

AV8ER, man the wait is killing all of us, come on you can do it ie upload the pics.
Old 6th May 2010, 22:15   #543
BHPian

I just had taken my car to service with a Mahindra dealer and i had a chance of speaking to one of my friends who work in the dealer ship.

The new SUV is slated to launch in Dec 2010 and with vehicle to be available by Jan 2011 .

The new SUV will either have 2.2 Ltr MHawk engine or will have a 3.0 Lt engine. This SUV is to be around 16 Lakhs bracket and will directly compete with higher end markets .

From what i hear it is surely going to be a all 4 wheel drive , shorter then Scorpio , engine bay in Scorpio is very big due to old design.

It seems this is done for 7 people and will be sold as a 7 seater . Its quite possible that this will be well toned to compared to Scorpio.

The price also indicates that this is going to be upper band of Scorpio and will try to eat market share from Fortuner , and other SUV but still cheaper by 4-5 Lakhs.
Old 6th May 2010, 22:59   #544
Senior - BHPian

av8er, please upload the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
This SUV is to be around 16 Lakhs bracket and will directly compete with higher end markets .
The price also indicates that this is going to be upper band of Scorpio and will try to eat market share from Fortuner , and other SUV but still cheaper by 4-5 Lakhs.
16 Lakhs on road would be great bargain.

To compete with Fortuner, M&M would have to improve on the fit&finish and overall QC though.

But any day better than a Skoda product.
Old 6th May 2010, 23:25   #545
BHPian

Hi Guys sorry to keep you waiting I get online only in the nights.

As someone said yes the car is going to be in the 14-16 lack price range. It is a 7 seater, 2-3-2 configuration.

I test drove the vehicle inside the Mahindra city and they have a track made around their factory. Though we were asked to just go randomly around but then we did put it through bumps and also slush and a road with loose gravel.

On loose gravel the vehicle held much better than the captiva which surprised me. The Captiva's wheels just kept spinning when the pedal was pushed to the floor but the W201 did have a little spin but then it caught the road and you could feel it.

I did see 5 fuel lines going to the injectors, so that is the reason I figured this was a 5pot engine. The engine bay was covered and I had to really bend and scoop to look inside.

It definitely has a better ride than the Scorpio. I have driven a scorpio a couple of times and it feels like a cradle but this was more stable that way and the braking was also much better. Oh ya coming to brakes it had disc brakes all around.

BTW a small note to tall drivers who have driven the Captiva, My friend who had come with me is a 6footer and his knee was brushing against the dash on the Captiva but in the W201 he had loads of place and when I pushed the seat back I could just barely touch the pedals thats how much is the seat travel.

I am not sure if I am not allowed to post pics cos nobody asked me not to take any nor did they make me sign anywhere where it says I am not supposed to leak any information. Infact we were not even asked to switch off our phones and the photos were taken from our phones.

I am sure everyone is eagerly waiting for this SUV and I am sure if they just get the quality niggles out they definitely have a true Indian SUV.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-mahin1.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-mahin2.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 7th May 2010 at 12:47. Reason: Adding watermark to pics
Old 7th May 2010, 00:01   #546
MAS
Senior - BHPian

16 Lakhs + from a Mahindra, IMHO, is a BIG NO NO.

From av8er's test report, why are they comparing it against an Innova?

By the way av8er, we are still waiting for the pictures
Old 7th May 2010, 07:26   #547
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful pics. The SUV looks like a MONSTER in the pictures, way ahead above Fortuner from exterior.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:15   #548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
From av8er's test report, why are they comparing it against an Innova?
The Innova is known to be a highly comfortable vehicle, so M&M would be using this as a benchmark to design a comfortable vehicle.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:17   #549
BHPian

Great work Mahindra

Oh boy!!!
Its huge.......
And definitly, the handling must be better then scorpio.
Look at the front grill, its different from XYLO !!
And the head light is also a different and huge...seems it also got daytime running LEDs.(not sure)
17" wheel

Great work Mahindra

Last edited by KALINGA : 7th May 2010 at 10:20.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:20   #550
BANNED

PLEASE PLEASE Watermark the pictures.

I now have a replecement for the Bolero. YEAH YEAH!!

Thanks for the pictures av8er.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:34   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
On loose gravel the vehicle held much better than the captiva which surprised me. The Captiva's wheels just kept spinning when the pedal was pushed to the floor but the W201 did have a little spin but then it caught the road and you could feel it.
Maybe that's traction control kicking in.
I think this might be Mahindra's tool to fight in the Aria domain.

And i dont buy the argument that nobody will buy a 16 lakh Mahindra.
If Mahindra can give a Rs 20 Lakh SUV for 16 Lakhs, everyone will buy it and then we will have a thread saying "the Rs 15 Lakh game changer".

I think they should always plan about future and start working on a CNG or Hybrid version for this.

Last edited by pb10gagan : 7th May 2010 at 10:38.
Old 7th May 2010, 10:44   #552
BANNED

@av8er thanks for the pics! any interior shots??

Looks like a monster!!! very close to the pic hosted in one of the previous post!!

Nice alloys! turn indicator in the mirror a nice touch! the colour and paint finish from what I could see looked awesome!

IMO the product is due for launch very soon. I dont think tere will be major changes from what you have seen to the launched product!
Old 7th May 2010, 11:11   #553
Senior - BHPian

Great scoop av8er!!

@Mods : There is an urgent need to watermark these pics!!

The final product will look like this ?

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-jeepgrandcherokee.jpg

Last edited by sajo : 7th May 2010 at 11:13.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:31   #554
BHPian

That's an awesome scoop! The vehicle looks massive and the base Captiva is FWD so doesnt make sense. If the captiva you had driven was an Automatic version, then its got AWD.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:33   #555
Senior - BHPian

nice pictures, thanks for sharing them.

The bonnet seems shorter than Scorpio, looks like a good design coming from M&M.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed