Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 11:37   #556
BHPian

The 16 lakh pricing is outrageous especially in the wake of a recent news item that the government is thinking of reducing the CBU/CKD duties. If that happens Fortuner, Captiva, Endy etc will themselves comes in the range of 14-15 lakhs. Who will then go for a Mahindra which is at 16 lakhs.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:57   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Great scoop av8er!!

@Mods : There is an urgent need to watermark these pics!!

The final product will look like this ?

Attachment 344289
Sajo. You beat me to it

That light grille combo looks similar to the Grand Cherokee. I guess Mahindra haven't forgotten their love affair with Jeep yet.

The raked grille looks nice especially in the first picture. And those alloys look awesome.
Old 7th May 2010, 12:15   #558
Senior - BHPian

OMG ... I have been proved wrong by the Mahindra's TN 20 (test car) registration number.

I just saw the pictures from av8er & sajo & went through all the posts. This is definitely one big suv & I can smell the success for the car. This one will be good competition to Furtuner & leave the Captiva behind biting dust.
Old 7th May 2010, 13:24   #559
BHPian

Very promising and it may turn out to be the best looking in Mahindra's portfolio. But, I still see the silver tooth (in the 2nd pic)! did anyone notice it?
Old 7th May 2010, 15:40   #560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
Very promising and it may turn out to be the best looking in Mahindra's portfolio. But, I still see the silver tooth (in the 2nd pic)! did anyone notice it?
The tooth is definitely there, and will single-handedly ruin the looks of the vehicle, which otherwise seems to be quite balanced.
Old 7th May 2010, 16:02   #561
Senior - BHPian

According to me grill and angle looks like Nissan Murano!!
Old 7th May 2010, 16:07   #562
BHPian

I could not take any pics of the interior as I dint want them to tell me not to take pics.

As for the stance it is not as tall as the Fortuner, infact I felt we sit a little below than the scorpio too but has good view of the road, the A pillar though is a tad broad.

As someone said the Innova is a benchmark in this segment and is the best seller so I am guessing they had the Innova too. And by the way we were asked only about the seats. So I am guessing Innova was considered in that league. There was the Hyundai Santa Fe too (a LHD) but then it had some clutch problems and engineers came from Hyundai to look at it and quoted somewhere around 3lakhs to get it fixed.

The Captiva was a manual and I was told its an AWD too.

The Headlights are awesome, something I have never seen on a Mahindra its a Double Barrel light like the new vehicles we see now. It actually reminded me of the New S-class lights, though I am exaggerating a bit here . They do look really good.

The Side view mirror casing looks huge from the front but the actual mirrors I felt was small for such a big casing.

Compared to the Captiva it did feel a bit heavy, but the w201 felt better than the Captiva over bumps.

The guys there also agreed that this had to be compared with the Fortuner and Endy but it seems the company wanted only these cars.

After test driving the Captiva and the w201 I would definitely put my money on the w201 if its offered at around 15lakhs. There were quite a few things that you are disappointed with the Captiva when Compared to the w201 and if you are on a budget I am sure the w201 is the way to go and would also be a VFM in that segment.
Old 7th May 2010, 16:14   #563
Senior - BHPian

Looks promising and proportionate,but you can't escape the obvious Cherokee cues! LED driving lamps look really cool,its the latest fad these days.Eagerly waiting for the beast to unwrap itself!
Old 7th May 2010, 18:12   #564
Senior - BHPian

Nice work av8er. Finally, something concrete on the new M&M SUV. Nice looking profile. They had better get the suspension setup right this time.

M&M should hold prices at the 11-13 lakh level. Anything more would be asking too much. Very few will splash the dosh for a premium SUV from a company that they perceive to be a utility and commercial vehicle maker.
Old 7th May 2010, 20:58   #565
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that the engine is the Ssangyong 2.7 litre FR5 developing 160 odd ps (which in turn is derived from MB), used in the Rexton. Its already been borrowed by M&M for the Axe.
Old 7th May 2010, 21:02   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
Compared to the Captiva it did feel a bit heavy, but the w201 felt better than the Captiva over bumps.
How was the ride and handling compared to Captiva and Innova? Did you get a chance to be in the rear seats while the vehicle is being driven around?
Old 7th May 2010, 21:35   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once we reached back I got a chance to look under the hood of the w201 and I realised it was a transversely mounted engine meaning which its an AWD also I am not sure about this but I think its a 5cylinder engine.
Quote:
I did see 5 fuel lines going to the injectors, so that is the reason I figured this was a 5pot engine. The engine bay was covered and I had to really bend and scoop to look inside.
Hi,
Great scoop.

How wide is the vehicle? And did you take a look at the transmission layout. Did MM say it was a AWD, or a 4x4.

If all this is correct, would show an audacity of thinking, and confidence in ones abilities. (I would say without parallel in India, but for the Nano). MM would be one of the very few manufacturers in modern times to launch a really all new vehicle. No matter how the vehicle turns out, I'm sure everyone will tip their hat at MM.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th May 2010, 22:31   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
According to me grill and angle looks like Nissan Murano!!

Yes, indeed it does resemble Murano. Let's hope it's half as good.
Old 7th May 2010, 23:23   #569
BHPian

A Bad MSPaint Job reveals the following face of the mahindra SUV. surprisingly this time the famous 'Rabbit tooth' seems a bit subtle.It definately has its cues from jeep grand Cherokee.

Edited.
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-mahin2.jpg

Jeep

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-jeep.jpg
Old 8th May 2010, 00:28   #570
Senior - BHPian

Well, i hope that the Mahindra designers don't get any last minute flashes and revert to type. My prayer is that they keep it as it is!. My fingers are firmly crossed over this one.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks