Old 4th August 2010, 15:30   #721
Senior - BHPian

has this video been on this thread?

Old 5th August 2010, 10:40   #722
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I appreciate the mods efforts to keep quality of posts on this forum, but some of these speculative one lines are pure silly in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeys78 View Post
I do very much agree with you on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeys78 View Post
Like ACM mentioned, quality monitoring is keeping this forum stand apart from rest of the blogs.
Guys, please support us in our endeavours to maintain this forum's top quality. If you see any post that is against our rules or out of line, do use the report this post to a Moderator functionality. Thanks
Old 5th August 2010, 11:13   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, please support us in our endeavours to maintain this forum's top quality. If you see any post that is against our rules or out of line, do use the report this post to a Moderator functionality. Thanks

Though there is no denying that some of the posts do go against the spirit of healthy discussion and the are out of sync with the topic on hand, the commnets by some fellow members that GTO has alluded to appear to be rather lacking in commonsense themselves. For those comments were made against speculating on a test mule that had long been identified. What some failed to understand was that those commenst were made on another thread taht was later merged with the one we are in.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:56   #724
Senior - BHPian

I saw this SUV testing for the first time today and what a behemoth it is! It's truly big and seemed fairly powerful as well. Is it running the Scorpio engine or something more powerful? It glided over some nasty speedbreakers with a lot more poise than a Scorpio or a Xylo. Hardly any up-down motions at the back side. Did not get any pics.
Old 26th August 2010, 17:12   #725
Senior - BHPian

We are looking for a new diesel 7 seater car in the 16-20L range to replace our trusty innova by 1Q next year. the shortlisted cars till now are the captiva & fortuner. I dislike the fortuner & the less said about GM's A.S.S, the better. we are not considering tata cars, so aria is out.

i hope this mahindra SUV is launched soon because the specs seem impressive & reports by members are promising too.
Old 27th August 2010, 20:07   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i hope this mahindra SUV is launched soon because the specs seem impressive & reports by members are promising too.
Raj, I would generally stay away from the first year of any brand new platform, regardless of the manufacturer. There is always some issues such as vendor quality that maynot show up in limited test mules.
Old 27th August 2010, 21:17   #727
Senior - BHPian

It will be interesting to note how this SUV will sit in M&Ms domestic and global product range especially after the acquisition of SsangYong. From the initial previews which suggests a 5 cyl diesel, this must be a SsangYong engine as well.
Old 27th August 2010, 22:38   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Raj, I would generally stay away from the first year of any brand new platform, regardless of the manufacturer. There is always some issues such as vendor quality that maynot show up in limited test mules.
of course, if this car gets lauched in 1Q of next year (which is highly unlikely), we dont mind waiting for another 6 months for mahindra to sort out all the issues.
Old 28th August 2010, 01:10   #729
Distinguished - BHPian

To remind everyone of the issues related to Mahindra products, Each and every so called high-tech electronic feature including cruise control, reversing sensors, steering mounted buttons, ABS etc. has caused trouble in past in our Scorpio VLX m-hawk. I can show copies of job cards where list of problems were countless, slowly we learnt to live with a desi product, now we ignore the problems unless they are serious ones.
Old 28th August 2010, 11:18   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Raj, I would generally stay away from the first year of any brand new platform, regardless of the manufacturer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
To remind everyone of the issues related to Mahindra products, Each and every so called high-tech electronic feature including cruise control, reversing sensors, steering mounted buttons, ABS etc. has caused trouble in past in our Scorpio VLX m-hawk. I can show copies of job cards where list of problems were countless, slowly we learnt to live with a desi product, now we ignore the problems unless they are serious ones.
i agree. especially considering M&M's history.
as a counter-point though, the original turbo 2.6DI scorps didn't have as many issues as the crde, scorpio-W and the scorpio-refresh. maybe because they [i]had[i] done extensive testing for the first scorp before it was launched.... while somewhere down the line M&M thought it was ok to make the initial buyers, test mules- willing or unwilling. the W201 is also undergoing extensive testing for quite some time and the launch has got delayed probably because of that. so maybe... just maybe, it won't have too many issues.
this is going to be a worldSUV. which probably means that they will first launch it in india sort out any niggling issues and then launch it worldwide maybe 6 mths later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
It will be interesting to note how this SUV will sit in M&Ms domestic and global product range especially after the acquisition of SsangYong. From the initial previews which suggests a 5 cyl diesel, this must be a SsangYong engine as well.
i've been given to understand that it's the same mHawk that powers the current scorp that will go in the W201, albeit with more punch, mated to a better transmission. since the engine would be tried and tested, atleast that won't have any issues.

all said and done, i as a prospective customer, would still wait atleast 6-12 mths after the launch to buy this particular product.
Old 28th August 2010, 12:01   #731
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

my pal in australia owns a murano. he is happy with it.
It would indeed be lovely if they launch it here but as always the key will be pricing.

all these cars become extremely overpriced when they hit Indian shores unless of course they start producing/assembling here with high level of local parts manufacturing added in.

the thing is why should we Indians pay two and a half times the overseas price for the same vehicle in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Also, a common sense question: If Nissan plans to sell Murano (Its 2010 model is available in many countries and 2011 face lift model is in the cords, which is not like 2010 model), it will be a CBU, right? If Yes, Why do we need to test it under camouflage?
Old 28th August 2010, 12:29   #732
BHPian

Quality problems are something that some of our Desi manufacturer's fail to pay attention to.

I tried speaking to a Mahindra Dealer in Muscat for the Thar and he politely told me why the Mahindra Brand failed in the ME region. For Quality issues.

If you follow RE dealers in the UK and the US of A, the dealers change some parts for better durability before they are sold to prospective customers. Made in India parts are then auctioned off as either scrap/cheap alternates.
Old 28th August 2010, 13:00   #733
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary, we have had many mahindras in our family & they have never given any issues except for some minor ones. in my VLX, all the electronics including cruise control, reverse sensors & auto wipers function perfectly, except ABS. if you go through my ownership reports, i have had very pleasant ownership experiences with my mahindras. so i kind of do trust mahindra cars when it comes to reliability.
Old 28th August 2010, 14:37   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
my pal in australia owns a murano. he is happy with it.
the thing is why should we Indians pay two and a half times the overseas price for the same vehicle in India?
The point here is the government! The policy of excise duty on vehicles is to encourage local manufacturing. On the bright side, it has trigger effect say the direct & indirect employment oppurtunities, infrastructure growth to support them, increased competition resulting to end monopoly pricing, etc. It is not a "no to videshi cars!" Just a way to make them desi! To understand look at the growth of Pune - Chakan, Manesar, Uttarakand, etc. over the last few years.

Sorry for being but believe it will clarify some of the mis-conception among a few people regarding some of the government policies for vehicles.

Exteriors are a huge plus to the vehicle (from what I have seen in real). Interiros seem Ok (but not as exciting as the exterior), may be because it is still in validation. It will be exciting new launch from Mahindra. It will be priced competitively for sure.
Old 28th August 2010, 21:20   #735
Senior - BHPian

W - 201....Some Info....

Hi,
Saw quite a bit of excitement here on the new offering from the M&M stable and thought I'd chip in....the info mentioned below came from a senior M&M guy I met a few weeks ago, in my line of business, with whom I discussed the SUV and forgot about it. Here are the facts I had scribbled down somewhere: (if someone has already mentioned some of the points here then - well read 'em again !)
1. The new SUV is likely to be launched in mid 2011, but with the SSyongwhatchamacalitz takeover excitement it would possibly see the light of the day in 2012.
2. Being developed at M&M's Chennai facility.
3. Final shape would be something like Terracan from Hyundai.
4. Would have a host of features including traction control,LSD or diff locks,multiple small gizmos many of which are presently on the currentlot of Scorps as well - rain sensors, light sensors, TPMS etc etc. Air bags,ABS would be standard.
5. Cost would be close to 14 L ex showroom and on road would be around 16 L with some minor company supplied adornments.
6. Engine will be (hold your breath)...the same old M- Haha- Hawk.
Would be calibrated & tweaked to 140/150 BHP. The US Scorpios would be running on the tweaked M Hawks at 140 BHP. The domestic version of the W201 would have the M Haha engine mapped at 140 BHP.

7. The new thingamajig would have sensors, sensors and sensors for
everything.
8. It would have a monocoque body.
9. The M Hawk engine would be transverse mounted - meaning engine
won't be mounted in- line (front to back) like it is now but would be cross
mounted in the bay - engine front back would be parallel to the dashboard
line. It would have an AWD option. Non AWD would be front wheel driven.
10. Electronic stabilty control.
11. Up hill/down hill/terrain assist etc.
12. Scoop ! It would have Cougar transmission - super silent, super efficient... car like.

Trust this adds to the excitement of the wait !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed