Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:12   #766
BHPian

Is it only me or is it due to the camera angle that the SUV looks to be tilted?
This one looks huge, and like other pointed is ladder frame. In that case, will have the same edgy handling like Xylo.
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:54   #767
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the pics buddy! I noticed one more thing! The reverse gear is towards the front -- like Hyundai Getz CRDi and Verna CRDi ! so makes it 6 forward shifts and 1 reverse. I know there is one fellow bhpian who test drove the W201 -- may be he could double confirm this. Also the rear view mirror with indicator looks like the one which is posted in the trial drive thread too.

Interesting way to open the second row door ! a vertical door handle ??
Old 3rd September 2010, 18:20   #768
Senior - BHPian

this is the same mahindra SUV that was spoken on the other threads...

Dont think even a bit about the interiors. they are just the trial moulds on test vehicles. Final plastics are always way better that these glossy ones.
Old 3rd September 2010, 18:25   #769
Senior - BHPian

The paper which typically hides the logo on the steering wheel suggests the shape of Mahindra logo. Not a square but cut on the bottom right side. The interiors would have been better with black color rather than this weird color. Fit is not impressive but the vehicle size is huge.
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:39   #770
Senior - BHPian

Its too premature to talk about fit and finish,from the door panels itself you can see its a hastily done job,for the prototype.Also why does the car seem to list to one side?
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:54   #771
BHPian

Yeah!! This indeed is the Mahindra's world SUV! the W201!
Mahindra seems to be heading in the right direction with this.
Will it be good enough to take the pie away from the Fortuner?! Wonder what is under the hood...
M&M has a newly set up R&D at Chennai. That explains the TN registration.

Last edited by Auto freak : 3rd September 2010 at 20:03. Reason: to add more to the reply
Old 3rd September 2010, 20:08   #772
~~h
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Like the Mahindra world SUV
...the World SUV is supposed to be a Mono chassis
Yes it is, heard Pawan Goenka confirming few days back.
This one actually looks like a Body-on-frame.

Nice catch.

BTW: what does the temp plate say MH or TN?

Last edited by ~~h : 3rd September 2010 at 20:10.
Old 3rd September 2010, 23:32   #773
BHPian

Durability and finish are something that are very important in the international market.
Most Indian Automobiles have been a non starters in the middle east and people simply do not want to be asosciated with the Indian Auto products.

In a place where almost every local Omani has close ties with India on some pretext or the other, the acceptability of the product is not there.

From the time I moved to Oman, I have been pestering the local Omani dealer for more inputs on certain Indian Products, regarding the launch dates etc. The locals out here have started calling me a mad man, especially when tjere are better products available in the market they simply have stopped dealing with indian Auto companies.

Did you all know that when some of our Bikes are imported into the UK and the USA, most parts are changed. These include the silencers, tanks etc.

I hope the Mahindra guys are monitoring this thread,

We need to improve out build quality, else .. International markets can be a faraway dream.
Old 3rd September 2010, 23:40   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbc View Post
I found this car last night..in our apt complex for few minutes.
however this had a TN registration which narrows down to Hyundai or a ford?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~h View Post
BTW: what does the temp plate say MH or TN?
its mahindra .
i will get one 6 months after its launch. (in 2012)
Old 4th September 2010, 10:01   #775
Distinguished - BHPian

The quality of Interiors seen in picture do not seem fit for an premium SUV. If they say this is just the test version and Interiors will be better in production cars, i would not expect any miracles here.
Old 4th September 2010, 10:10   #776
Senior - BHPian

thanks a ton dude, i was waiting for some good interior snaps. this is a mahindra. look at the shape of the AC vents, the rear door handle & the instrument console. it has been revealed before. the windshield is similar to the scorpio with the auto wiper sensors on top.

i have always been fascinated by this mahindra since the time the intial scoop pics were revealed. and frankly, the interior pics have blown me off! of course, the colour scheme is bad but i am sure mahindra would offer it in the traditional beige-wood or black-silver combo too.

i loved the instument console, the centre console design looks very upmarket, i even like the handbrake lever & the wiper stalks! the seats looks amazing with good legroom, under thigh support & side bolsters.

the inbuilt head unit has AUX support & bluetooth for receiving calls.

Also, look at the switches below the climate control, that itself says this car is feature loaded. the screen shouts GPS & car info.

the steering wheel has audio controls & cruise control buttons, so i guess it has the regular cruise control, TPMS, auto headlights & wipers from the scorpio. sensors for the auto wipers can be seen on top of the windshield in one pic, just like in the scorpio. 4 reverse sensors can be seen.

the twin barrel black surround headlights look fantastic. all in all, i think this is a much better contender to the Aria. i find the interiors of this one more spacious & upmarket. unless, mahindra screws up the ride quality real badly & messes with the exterior looks (fortunately the grille looks okay!), i would want to own this one day.
Old 4th September 2010, 12:19   #777
Senior - BHPian

one of the best scoops in the forum i would say. I feel its going to be a hard day for the Mahindra employee who left the mule unattended due to which we were able to see the pix. Or maybe mahindra did this trick knowingly by parking the car in a residential neighbourhood to find out how the future end users feel about the product?

The W201 looks like a good contender in the segment and will definately stand head to head with the Aria. Interior quality seems to be a bit of a let down but i am sure Mahindra will definately rectify it before the final product comes out.

Very good catch indeed
Old 4th September 2010, 15:33   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbc View Post
I found this car last night..in our apt complex for few minutes.
Nice catch.

Hmm.... didn't see a 4WD lever. I thought this was going to compete against the Fortuner. Is it gonna be AWD or Electric (button operated) 4WD or no-4WD at all?
Old 4th September 2010, 15:54   #779
BHPian

Looks like a Mahindra. The seat fabric with that rib like texture is the same that they have in the Xylo. The dash looks dreadful and the plastic under the steering looks tacky. However there seems to be ample room for second row passengers.
Old 4th September 2010, 16:00   #780
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures Ajith!

Why is it that there is too much gap between the tire & the wheel arches. Even the top portion of the suspension is seen from normal viewing angle.

The interior fabric, looks sad! A strong competition for private omni buses.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks