Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 15:39   #886
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks @Xinger for the details, but am truly after reading about the 3 lakh SUV, given any details about it? Also does the mini-xylo come with the said 3-pot.?
The news about Ssyanyongs rebadged as Mahindras is well ....
Old 26th October 2010, 16:13   #887

Price will be the key for this new M&M product

I took a test ride of Tata Aria and found it to be fairly impressive vehicle, after owning a Scorpio and Ford Fusion. The road presence and respect for vehicle by the fellow drivers was obvious. It was pleasure driving the vehicle except while changing gears when the beast wanted more power but engine responded late.

Aria is definitely an attractive SUV/MUV but for its price I will think twice before going for it. With the price factor in mind now I wish to wait for Mahindra World SUV which too fits my aspirations. After reading all the available information on this forum if W201 is below 15 Lac range, I will go for it the same day when Anand Mahindra launches it in a press conference.
Old 26th October 2010, 17:48   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Thanks @Xinger for the details, but am truly after reading about the 3 lakh SUV, given any details about it? Also does the mini-xylo come with the said 3-pot.?
The news about Ssyanyongs rebadged as Mahindras is well ....
Since you are so enthusiastic about it, I tried some OCR (Optical Character Recognition) tech on my cellphone photos, at a site called onlineocr dot net (it's free!) To my surprise, it gave a fairly accurate text output of the copy in the article.

I'm pasting excerpts here (I could paste the entire article, but I guess that would not be fair to Autocar!) with reference to your queries:

Note: All the weird typos in my previous post are due to the OCR tech, not me!!
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-w201.jpg  

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th October 2010 at 13:01. Reason: Please do not quote an entire large post, it causes inconvenience to small screen and mobile users. Thanks
Old 26th October 2010, 20:40   #889
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks @Xinger for the excerpts.Seems you have gone through some trouble to give me these info. The problem is since am on unlimited free net connection, my quota of ACI is cut-off from home. That's why am so eager to know about it,though a little dissapointed that the nano SUV is really a pimped up Kei car IMO(going by the specs)
Old 26th October 2010, 21:40   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinger View Post
This won't have anything from the Ssangyong, I think. Mahindra are planning to introduce the Ssangyong Korando in India in a segment above this one. (mentioned in the same issue along with this pic:
The Korando seems good. However for components like GPS, AWD, gear box, etc. could still be sourced from SYG. They also own diesel engine(s) which M&M could use in their cars. So, I am guessing we would see some SYG components in W201.

We'll have to wait and see how this will turn out.
Old 27th October 2010, 10:52   #891
Senior - BHPian

Some info about the W201 from ACI-

1) M&M sources says rendering is 80% accurate but actual vehicle is sharper with a more rakish grille & side profile has an interplay of multiple surfaces, unlike shown in the rendering.
2) This is M&M's first completely in-house designed vehicle.
3) mHawk engine is transversely mounted to maximize cabin space.
4) Daytime running LED lights are for US market.
5) 16" rims for base version & 17" rims for top end.
6) A new 'cougar' transaxle.
7) Cable operated gearbox with 5 & 6 speed options, developed with the help of Ricardo.
8) estimated price is 14L for the top end 4x4.
9) 140 bhp engine with a possible option of a 170 bhp mHawk engine with bi-turbo!
Old 28th October 2010, 10:41   #892
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The W201 is based on a monocoque. AFAIK, all homegrown SUVs & MUVs till date have been proper body-on-frames. A monocoque + well tuned suspension will give the W201 car like ride & handling...crucial if it wants to tap into the lucrative urban market.

I hear that a 6 speed AT will be offered as an option.
Old 28th October 2010, 11:43   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The W201 is based on a monocoque. AFAIK, all homegrown SUVs & MUVs till date have been proper body-on-frames. A monocoque + well tuned suspension will give the W201 car like ride & handling...crucial if it wants to tap into the lucrative urban market.
Most SUV's homegrown or otherwise have a body-on-frame construct. The new Ford Explorer is an exception as its based on Ford Taurus chassis.
I might have missed this but are you sure W201 is a monocoque? IIRC, M&M have never developed a monocoque before this....but i could be wrong.
Old 28th October 2010, 12:53   #894
BHPian

It will be M&M's first attempt at a monocoque construction, and this is straight from the president (automotive sector, M&M) Pawan Goenka.

The mahindraplanet blog has also published a rendering:

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-mahindraw201worldsuvconceptrender.jpg
Old 28th October 2010, 12:56   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Some info about the W201 from ACI-

1) M&M sources says rendering is 80% accurate but actual vehicle is sharper with a more rakish grille & side profile has an interplay of multiple surfaces, unlike shown in the rendering.
2) This is M&M's first completely in-house designed vehicle.
3) mHawk engine is transversely mounted to maximize cabin space.
4) Daytime running LED lights are for US market.
5) 16" rims for base version & 17" rims for top end.
6) A new 'cougar' transaxle.
7) Cable operated gearbox with 5 & 6 speed options, developed with the help of Ricardo.
8) estimated price is 14L for the top end 4x4.
9) 140 bhp engine with a possible option of a 170 bhp mHawk engine with bi-turbo!
Point 2 doesn't seem to be correct. Scorpio was an in-house design too as also the new range of heavy trucks.
Old 28th October 2010, 12:59   #896
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinger View Post
The mahindraplanet blog has also published a rendering:

Attachment 445345
A rather poor attempt. Thats a PS job gone bad.
Old 28th October 2010, 13:04   #897

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
A rather poor attempt. Thats a PS job gone bad.
Completely agree. Poor poor PS job!
Old 28th October 2010, 18:24   #898
Senior - BHPian

It might be a poor PS job but the car is looking good.Has well developed proportions and a nice chunky look to the design.And thankfully the front has been designed sensibly.

I suspect that this car is going to be the next game changer in the 10-20l bracket and not the Aria.If the top end version is going to be priced around 14L which means lower end to be close to 11-12L.

Good looks,a powerful engine(170 bhp will be a bonus),great street presence,monocoque chassis would be sorted out handling,long list of features,AT and tried and tested mahindra after sales and distribution are some of the advantages.
Old 29th October 2010, 11:42   #899
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
It might be a poor PS job but the car is looking good.Has well developed proportions and a nice chunky look to the design.And thankfully the front has been designed sensibly.
The issue with the rendering is that the base vehicle which is used is some other SUV, on which M&M specific grilles as well as alloys from th Xylo have been pasted.

So, the overall design proportions and aesthetics cannot be concluded based on the rendering alone.
Old 30th October 2010, 08:34   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The issue with the rendering is that the base vehicle which is used is some other SUV, on which M&M specific grilles as well as alloys from th Xylo have been pasted.
Not really. If you see the spy shot on which the rendering is based, you can see the alloys, the rear view mirrors, the grille, the front bumper, the roof rails and the proportions are all pretty accurate.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-mahindraworldsuvw2012.jpg

Also the rendering looks quite similar to the one done by Autocar in the November issue, which they claim has been validated by 'sources within M&M' as being 80% accurate.

Last edited by Xinger : 30th October 2010 at 08:53.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks