Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:38   #1306
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Detailed Interior Pics on Page 50! SCOOP Pics on Pg.

Just check this below. Got a SMS from Mahindra.

Mahindra XUV500 |Mahindra next generation global SUV | Code name W201

Last edited by ashok_lat : 2nd September 2011 at 16:41.
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:41   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Detailed Interior Pics on Page 50! SCOOP Pics on Pg.

Dont know how reliable WSJ is in this matter, but 12-20 lakhs seems to be an extraordinarily wide price range. The only way I can imagine such a massive range of price is to incorporate both 2WD and 4WD options along with at least 2 engine options. As a comparison, the Aria starts at 11.5L and stops at 16L exshowroom price.

As for the name, it seems like they got so absorbed in designing a car and getting it ready, they forgot to think of a name for it.

Also, XUV suggest they too will be looking to call it a crossover rather than a full SUV, just like Tata have for their Aria.

Looks like its going to be head on battle between Aria and XUV500. And going by the name Aria it is. I would hate to answer the question "What do you drive?" with "Ex-yoo-vee five double ohh".

Hope the rest is better than the name is.

Last edited by julupani : 2nd September 2011 at 16:44.
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:42   #1308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
“We are all set to create a new milestone with the launch of the Mahindra XUV500 which truly embodies and encapsulates the essence of the Mahindra Rise philosophy. Having extensively tested and validated our product with global and Indian customers alike, I am happy to add that we will simultaneously launch the XUV500 in South Africa under the same brand name. I am confident that the XUV500 will follow in the footsteps of its illustrious predecessors to evolve into an iconic brand,” Dr. Pawan Goenka, President, Automotive and Farm Equipment Sectors, Mahindra, said.
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-mahindraxuv500.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-mahindraxuv500suv.jpg

Pics courtesy - Indiancarsbikes.in (Mahindra christens the W201 Global SUV project as the XUV500! | IndianCarsBikes.in)
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:42   #1309
BHPian

The X Factor of SUVs - I guess why they have this name.

Maruti 800 changed the way the nation moves, so I guess M&M is trying to recreate that magic.

After Sales Service will be the key - given that M&M doesnt have a 99% reputation in this aspect.
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:48   #1310
BHPian

I have seen the car(masked) when Mahindra was testing. Its not bigger like the Toyota Fortuner. Cannot comment on the presence of the Car until we see it in flesh.
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:48   #1311
Senior - BHPian

So the M&M top brass organised a press conference just to reveal the name? Didn't the journos demand for a vehicle demo at the event? What an anti-climax it must have been!
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:21   #1312
BHPian

re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd September 2011 at 19:06.
ramesh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:26   #1313
Senior - BHPian

re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs

im glad the XUV500 will be a ALL NEW Vehicle by M&M, compared to the "just a face lift" Merlin by TATA.

im eagerly waiting for the launch and to see the vehicle in question.

Toyota fortuner really made a big gap between the scopios and safaris and itself...

time to fill that gap of around 15lakhs mark by M&M, followed by TATA.
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:31   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
im glad the XUV500 will be a ALL NEW Vehicle by M&M, compared to the "just a face lift" Merlin by TATA.

im eagerly waiting for the launch and to see the vehicle in question.

Toyota fortuner really made a big gap between the scopios and safaris and itself...

time to fill that gap of around 15lakhs mark by M&M, followed by TATA.
The Fortuner, Scorpio, Safari and Merlin are more brutish SUVs. But the "X" in the name suggest that may be like the Aria this will be more a cross-over, trying more to woo away customers from all the sedans that populate the 15L price bracket.

The pics also dont seem to suggest something that is a complete out and out SUV. There is probably still scope for both Tata and M&M to bring out proper SUVs around the 15L mark.
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:50   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The Fortuner, Scorpio, Safari and Merlin are more brutish SUVs. But the "X" in the name suggest that may be like the Aria this will be more a cross-over, trying more to woo away customers from all the sedans that populate the 15L price bracket.

The pics also dont seem to suggest something that is a complete out and out SUV. There is probably still scope for both Tata and M&M to bring out proper SUVs around the 15L mark.
i agree with you on this crossover thing.

CRV is a civic based crossover
BMW X1 is a 3 series based crossover
and so on...

people in india want SUV (read crossover) and not a 4WD. SUV is a big family vehicle, giving them status of owning a big vehicle.

yes a sub 20 lakh vehicle would do wonders.

people who go offroad build their own jeeps and gypsies.
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:57   #1316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i agree with you on this crossover thing.

CRV is a civic based crossover
BMW X1 is a 3 series based crossover
and so on...

people in india want SUV (read crossover) and not a 4WD. SUV is a big family vehicle, giving them status of owning a big vehicle.

yes a sub 20 lakh vehicle would do wonders.

people who go offroad build their own jeeps and gypsies.
I never said, people want hardcore 4WD vehicles. But they want the butch macho brute kind of look. The look is a major reason for the popularity of vehicles like Pajero, Fortuner and Scorpio.

Neither the Aria, or the XUV500 (with limited info) seem to have that look which the Indian buyers so long for.

True, both the Aria and XUV500 will have more than enough off-roading ability to keep everybody happy, but its all about the looks isnt it.
Old 2nd September 2011, 19:08   #1317
Senior - BHPian

@julupani - Few of our members who have seen this vehicle have reported it to have awesome presence and brute looks. Dont go by the picture above - its almost there, but not the final version is what I understood from the discussion in the last few pages. I would anyways expect M&M to know very well about the target customer base and they would compromise on anything, but the exterior looks and presence.

If any, I would expect this to replace the current scorpio's to be the politicos favorite! Lets wait and watch.

Quote:
True, both the Aria and XUV500 will have more than enough off-roading ability to keep everybody happy, but its all about the looks isnt it.
Old 2nd September 2011, 20:44   #1318
BHPian

Forgive me if i am repeating it but what does 'five double ohh' mean ?
(hope its the numbers they are targeting ) and what is the expected date of launch?
Old 2nd September 2011, 20:50   #1319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont know how reliable WSJ is in this matter, but 12-20 lakhs seems to be an extraordinarily wide price range. The only way I can imagine such a massive range of price is to incorporate both 2WD and 4WD options along with at least 2 engine options.
Don't shoot the messenger. WSJ is quoting Pawan Goenka - they didn't come up with the price range on their own. I've seen two other news outlets give the same range, citing Goenka. He obviously said it.
Old 2nd September 2011, 22:17   #1320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
If any, I would expect this to replace the current scorpio's to be the politicos favorite! Lets wait and watch.
That is exactly TM thought while introducing Aria. Especially in white color. The politicians who want comfortable vehicles, but don't want to get tagged with a multinational brand would prefer Aria. But it did not happen. Let us see how it goes for XUV 500. Looks like White Innova is the current favorite with politicos.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks