Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 14:03   #1456
Senior - BHPian

re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs

28th sept 2011 has been confirmed as the date of launch for the M&M XUV 5 oh oh!
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:22   #1457
Distinguished - BHPian

re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs

Hi All,

Teaser TV ad for the XUV500 has also been uploaded on the link below:
MahindraXUV500's Channel - YouTube

Though it just shows a Cheetah running and nothing else!
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:55   #1458
BHPian

I just cant seem to understand how MnM expects us to liken a 2tonne behemoth like the XUV 5oo to look similar to a cheetah!
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:07   #1459
BHPian

Source: IAB

Mahindra XUV500 random details in an IAB exclusive
A grown-up version of the 2.2-liter mHawk diesel engine producing 140bhp and 330Nm of torque; Supreme NVH (for its segment) and next to nil turbolag.
Three variants at launch (Base, Top and Top+ signify the kit level); No AT variant in 2011
2WD and AWD variants come out on the 28th; IAB had earlier reported that 2WD and 4WD will be present; AWD is a form of 4WD where the driver is not permitted to control the ratio or split of the drive between the axles.
6-speed manual transmission
Top-end model has features such as ABS, EBD, ESP and TCS.
Micro-hybrid technology on the top-end variant; Alloy wheels with all wheel disc brakes also feature
Touch screen infotainment system along with a refrigerator in select variants

Man cant wait for the prices to be announced!!
Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:38   #1460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
I just cant seem to understand how MnM expects us to liken a 2tonne behemoth like the XUV 5oo to look similar to a cheetah!
Probably they want to relate to the aggression & speed ! The car from various reports has great sprinting power. So let's wait for the official review !

And again a teaser with an elephant or hippo is the last thing we might want to see !
Old 23rd September 2011, 22:47   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
I sincerely hope ABS and airbags are there on all variants. Car manufacturers have a habit of clubbing these with some electronic gizmos (most of which are useless IMO) and fleecing the customers.
Old 23rd September 2011, 22:58   #1462

New stuff gets launched with much pomp and show but grand old ones stay back and continue to rule our hearts .....Oh, I mean Safari and Scorpio for Tataz and M&M'z respectively ......lets c if XUV actually is able to make a sea change unlike Xylo, Aria etc etc .......
Old 23rd September 2011, 23:16   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Source: IAB
Finally Mahindra is paying attention to safety features also.

Quote:
Micro-hybrid technology on the top-end variant;

Quote:
Alloy wheels with all wheel disc brakes also feature
This was expected, especially since the Aria has this.

Quote:
Touch screen infotainment system along with a refrigerator in select variants
Did you just say refrigerator???

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
And again a teaser with an elephant or hippo is the last thing we might want to see !
ROFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediafan View Post
I sincerely hope ABS and airbags are there on all variants. Car manufacturers have a habit of clubbing these with some electronic gizmos (most of which are useless IMO) and fleecing the customers.
This is bound to happen. I guess ABS will be available in middle variant but Airbags, TCS, etc will be only in top end.
Old 23rd September 2011, 23:39   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

Probably they want to relate to the aggression & speed ! The car from various reports has great sprinting power. So let's wait for the official review !

Heard that one Test vehicle coming to sireesh auto marthalli yard this weekend.
Old 24th September 2011, 07:51   #1465
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

my sentiments exactly.
but these blighters wont provide safety kit across variants unless mandated to do so by law. this is a well known fact.
the motto of most manufacturers right now is to fleece the consumer and milk the market by charging a premium for more kit. and yes most of these electronic gizmos are certainly not as necessary as safety kit!
but lets remember, here in India most things are about "flash" value, people value form over function in general. this, coupled with a severe lack of competition and choice, is why these marketeers are able to get away with such strategies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediafan View Post
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 13:14   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
my sentiments exactly.
but these blighters wont provide safety kit across variants unless mandated to do so by law. this is a well known fact.
the motto of most manufacturers right now is to fleece the consumer and milk the market by charging a premium for more kit. and yes most of these electronic gizmos are certainly not as necessary as safety kit!
but lets remember, here in India most things are about "flash" value, people value form over function in general. this, coupled with a severe lack of competition and choice, is why these marketeers are able to get away with such strategies.
I work in the UK and I see this happening across UK/Europe too. There is always a section of the people who can not afford to pay up but they need transportation. That section exists in all parts of the world. Companies sometimes even cross-subsidise the lower end variants with the margins coming out of the high end versions.

We have exchanged our opinions before and this is nothing personal. But you seem to be always complaining about lack of safety kit as standard on every vehicle. How come you yourself drive a Scorpio LX without ABS and airbags? Why havent you bought yourself an SLE/VLX? (Now if you re-read my first paragraph for aam-junta-sake, it will make more sense).

How about walking the talk first?

BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 24th September 2011 at 13:16.
Old 24th September 2011, 14:48   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
I work in the UK and I see this happening across UK/Europe too. There is always a section of the people who can not afford to pay up but they need transportation. That section exists in all parts of the world. Companies sometimes even cross-subsidise the lower end variants with the margins coming out of the high end versions.

BH.
First of all, no company is going to subsidize any version of a vehicle. I think you mean to say that some companies sell the lower version of cars at a lower margin in anticipation of a higher margin on the top end versions. And you think that is fair? If I want to buy a lower version of a vehicle, why should I not get all security features? I am not against the car manufacturers making their fair share of profits. I am against these companies branding ABS/Airbags as luxury items and offering them only at the top end variants.
Old 24th September 2011, 15:19   #1468
Senior - BHPian

The only thing I feel in this is that companies should atleast give ABS & Airbags as an optional extra in the lower variants. Dont make it standard but make people pay for it, some maybe ready to pay also.

But again, we also have to understand two things -

1) The option of ordering ABS or Airbags in a lower end variant means it is as good as a made to order vehicle & this is not feasible in a mass produced vehicle like the Scorpio or XUV. Remember, they cannot blindly make some limited numbers of lower end with ABS & Airbags (without orders) as the volumes are very low & these cars keep piling up in the stockyard. We have to accept the fact that Indians are least bothered about safety & these kind of safety features are not actually asked by many except car enthusiasts like us. I have worked in this industry & hence experienced this. Maruti has done it with the Ritz VXi & Swift VXi. They had ABS as optional but volumes were so low that now if you order a VXi with ABS, the sales executive will try to disuade you but if you are still adamant, most probably you will get an old car or waiting period would be very high. And if Indians were so safety conscious, why dont we see many VXIs with ABS?

2) Every company does a proper market research before launching their car & deciding what features should go in & what variants are to be offered. They only select variants where volumes can be achieved, according to them. A base model with ABS & Airbags would be a slow mover & thus not profitable for the company. So how much ever we talk about ethics & how Mahindra or any company should care about people's safety & all... cmon, they are not doing charity, they are into a business & they need to make profits. thats the reality.
Old 24th September 2011, 16:04   #1469
BHPian

The other day I saw line up of around 7 of them on the NH4 near kedshivpur. The car has a huge street presence. Could not any pictures though.All were in white
Old 24th September 2011, 16:10   #1470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
The other day I saw line up of around 7 of them on the NH4 near kedshivpur. The car has a huge street presence. Could not any pictures though.All were in white
Did you see them uncovered? If not, by street presence, do you mean the size & girth of the vehicle?

A friend of mine works in Mahindra. Cant name him due to obvious reasons. Called him today. He just said that the launch is near, though he dint reveal any date. He has seen the vehicle without covering & has driven the vehicle inside the plant. He says, "Bhai, its a rocket!".

He is already a huge fan of it. He said the benchmarking of the vehicle has been with Toyota Fortuner, Chevy Captiva & Hyundai Santa Fe... and not Aria. He confirmed that the third row seating is good & comfortable & has dedicated AC vents. I tried to squeeze out more info but he dint reveal anything. He was scared for his job!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 24th September 2011 at 16:15.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks