Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 00:44   #1786
Distinguished - BHPian

re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Latest Autocar predicts 13-15 lac range for the 2 variants.
15 lacs for the top end with 4WD and all bells and whistles translates to about 19 on road Bangalore.
Can consider this - provided it handles well and the fit and finish niggles have been ironed out.
I'm sorry, with so many electronics, the last people I'm gonna trust are the monkey's over at the M&M service centers.

If I had this kind of money, I would just pick up the fortuner and start GOING PLACES, interiors be damned!

Anything more than 10L, and anything from the domestic stable is just not peace of mind for me yet.
Old 29th September 2011, 01:27   #1787
BHPian

re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs

Wow !
Like it or detest it, you can't possibly ignore it !
The XUV 500 is a very very bold launch from M&M.
For Anand Mahindra to go ahead and sign off that front design, to me showcases his appetite to take risks.
Instead of a plane jane, yet another SUV look (like the so called classy Aria) they have gone ahead with a Cheetah theme & stuck to it, be it the grill, the door handles or C pillar !
I will give them 5 stars just for being honest & sticking to their design theme

As for the front bumper... yeah overdone
But from the picture it seems as if the bumpers just have GRAPHICS/STICKERS which look like the grill
Peel those off and you might have your pure bumper back (albeit with a few cuts)
Silverfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 02:06   #1788
BHPian

IMHO the front is botched as are other aspects of the design, the folks at Mahindra should resist the temptation to dismiss criticism as the opinion of an elite community and get defensive, the Indian market is evolving fast and expectations are heightened.

This was a significant opportunity for Mahindra to cross segments, enhance their brand massively and given they got the base platform more right than wrong - the car is not looking unstable or disproportionate - the design confusion is particularly perplexing.

Looks are subjective but I can't imagine the looks of this car not getting panned in any international auto show, and this is a bridge that most here expected Mahindra to cross at least halfway with XUV, hence the discontent.

Just a bit of design panache and restraint could have transformed this product completely and that's manifesting itself here.
Old 29th September 2011, 02:12   #1789
Senior - BHPian

lol!! Mahindra thank you!! Now I can sleep happily and reassure myself that I will for sure buy a Safari to reclaim my life and not buy this thing and lose my life!!

OT: Now I can imagine the reaction of engineers and staff at Tata motors i.e. and they will now be sure, that no matter how bad their merlin might look, it cant be this bad, already the safari with its emotional touch, will surely once again win the market and now aria(if tata pushes it more with more advts like safari, reclaim your life) I am sure, XUV 500 will be nowhere to be seen.
Old 29th September 2011, 02:43   #1790
BHPian

Despite everything odd, If priced right, it will sell. Although I am keen on the SUV's next update.
Old 29th September 2011, 03:01   #1791
Distinguished - BHPian

For all you naysayers, I BET that the XUV500 will outsell anything and everything in the TATA stable.
Old 29th September 2011, 03:17   #1792
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - SCOOP Pics on Pg. 78 *UPDATE* Named the XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Wow !
Like it or detest it, you can't possibly ignore it !
The XUV 500 is a very very bold launch from M&M.
For Anand Mahindra to go ahead and sign off that front design, to me showcases his appetite to take risks.
Instead of a plane jane, yet another SUV look (like the so called classy Aria) they have gone ahead with a Cheetah theme & stuck to it, be it the grill, the door handles or C pillar !
Silverfire,

The sea of disappointed faces you see here today is because most of thought that Mahindra would at last bring a world class product,one which would not only stand testimony here but even in developed markets and it has failed big time.You say the Mahindra design team has been brave,I say they have been stupid.There is a thin line differentiating boldness and stupidity and Mahindra has crossed it.To be frank it's a good base but one which has been spoilt by too many garish design highlights.

And Classy is not plain jane.Period.

Come to think of it the Koreans did the same basic mistake two decades earlier.For years they produced cars with good mechanical bits but failed miserably in the design of their cars.They have now realized that copying other car makers and adding too many cheesy and garish details doesn't work.They now have full fledged design studios working at producing cutting edge design's and creating unique and interesting cars.This is the reason Kia and Hyundai are increasingly gaining acceptance here and elsewhere.Why should Indian carmakers do the same mistake??? Even Mahindra's sister company Ssangyong made some awful cars(Rodius) but now they have produced some cars with pretty neat styling with none of the Korean Cheesiness which is what is needed today if Mahindra has to gain global acceptance.

The interiors are great but the finishing leaves much to be desired.The little bits matter because you now are no longer comparing a Mahindra with a C segmenter,you are comparing them with cars such as the Laura from the D segment.Common,If this car is going to cost 15 lakhs,why would anybody pick this over a Endeavour or Skoda Yeti or the Aria or the upcoming Renault Duster.The Scorpio had Utilitarian value and sold well but somebody buying a car at 15 lakhs would desire better perceived quality than what Mahindra has been able to muster.

Much as I would like a Indian manufacturer to do well,this one is a fail in books.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th September 2011 at 03:44. Reason: Fixed quotes, thanks
Ascari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 03:28   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully the looks will grow on one and all. Its actually a very good looking design but I guess the marketing department went overboard and asked for very aggressive looking front, hence that fugly grille and bumper!!

A front facelift and full black interiors should make this the perfect SUV.

Still a great attempt no denying that, the flaws we see are easily fixed.
Bravo Mahindra .

Now the biggest question, Price?!
Old 29th September 2011, 05:12   #1794
BHPian

I tried to get past the front, in my opinion not to everyone's tastes and then what is see is the huge Bulge due to the rear tires extend all the way upto the C Pillar. In my opinion that makes the side profile too not to my tastes.
The rear lights remind me of xylo and front LEDs look like a forced design element.

I hope the drivability is good and comes at an excellent price to consider this for buying. If not, it will flop as most will not like it and added to it the high price will push away customers.
And is the front overhang a bit too extended? I think the overhang is unusually long.

I still give a lot of credit to Mahindra engineers for bringing this product that has potential. (If it is atleast on par with other manufacturers). As others have mentioned, the designers have gone overboard with the design and they wanted somehow push the mahindra trademark grill into every product which resulted in this front end for this SUV.
Old 29th September 2011, 05:35   #1795
Team-BHP Support

This is what i would have approved as the final design. Wonder why cohesiveness is always ignored by the M&M design team. After the ugly looks of the Xylo's front and outcry over it, one wold think they would do better. But, maybe they will never learn.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-xuv500.jpg
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 06:06   #1796
BHPian

Great work Benbsb. A simple front grill mod can transform the looks.

Overall it’s a big disappointment for me.There was absolutely no need to go overboard with the front design. The rear end looks like a modified xylo.

Even the age old design of Force One looks decent in comparison. The Duster, if launched in current avatar is way more classier than the current budget SUVs.

I don’t think knowledgeable bhpians and the likes are the target market here. M&M must have done their research. IMO its targeted towards well to do rural and semi-urban families, local politicos (goons, scorpio chaps, corporators, builders etc). Masses will love the aggressive front styling.
Old 29th September 2011, 06:09   #1797

I'm going to stick my neck out and side with the "aye-sayers". The front is highly unconventional - to say the least - maybe that's why we are reacting to it the way most of us are! But, at least, we are reacting. Like it or lump it, you can't ignore it. Which is what happens to me when I look at the Aria's exterior design.
DaiKatana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 06:16   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Overall it’s a big disappointment for me.There was absolutely no need to go overboard with the front design. The rear end looks like a modified xylo.
Definitely agree with the rear design , it looks tad bit closer to the Xylo. In a country like India bling definitely sells man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
I don’t think knowledgeable bhpians and the likes are the target market here. M&M must have done their research. IMO its targeted towards well to do rural and semi-urban families, local politicos (goons, scorpio chaps, corporators, builders etc). Masses will love the aggressive front styling.
How many bookings can we offer ? They obviously will target the rural and urban mass and yeah I find the front appealing. To each his own and compare this to the MHawk 2.2's front , I would put my money on this any-day.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-296359_266537983380494_100000728839436_932550_384388227_n.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-311038_266537953380497_100000728839436_932549_1330310007_n.jpg

Image source

I am in half the mind to dispose my mhawk and pick this up when launched, only if my boss would smile and throw in a good hike this year .

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st October 2011 at 12:32. Reason: Adding image source link
Old 29th September 2011, 06:28   #1799
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I had given these guys the same feedback in May.
But obviously they have seen fit to go with that non-cohesive look.
after the launch is done, I will share the relevant bits of the detailed feedback which I had given them.
I am sure they would have ironed out all the niggles from the proto but I would like to see the production version to confirm.
the semi circular bulge on the rear wheel arch somewhat detracts from the otherwise easy flowing side profile.
hope that they've been able to look after the fit and finish as befitting the pricing. it will probably be 19 lacs on road Bangalore.
if well executed, good handling and if not too big, then it will make a worthy successor to my Scorp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This is what i would have approved as the final design. Wonder why cohesiveness is always ignored by the M&M design team. After the ugly looks of the Xylo's front and outcry over it, one wold think they would do better. But, maybe they will never learn.

Attachment 817434

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th September 2011 at 06:31.
Old 29th September 2011, 06:33   #1800
BHPian

WOW. Every single contribution on the front grille (and other) modification by Bhp-ians on this tread, looks far superior than what M&M has designed. They definitely need to sack their design team. Unfortunately while the grille is fixable, the bulge on the middle-row window and the rear bulge cannot be fixed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed