Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 06:38   #1801
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs

yes I tend to appreciate your point but I would rather check it out and then make up my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I'm sorry, with so many electronics, the last people I'm gonna trust are the monkey's over at the M&M service centers.

If I had this kind of money, I would just pick up the fortuner and start GOING PLACES, interiors be damned!

Anything more than 10L, and anything from the domestic stable is just not peace of mind for me yet.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:01   #1802
Senior - BHPian

re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs

Hi Guys,

My view is that the XUV looks good and not as bad it sounds in the pictures. As NIP and others pointed out, if M&M does not make the scheduled "Version" changes to the front, we are left with our own options of modifying the front.

The XUV for sure looks butch and commanding with awesome road presence. The interiors seem to be spacious and I did not like the colour combos they did. However, if priced right this is a winner on M&M's hands!

M&M Designers, in today's 'google' world that we all live in- YOU NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB AT your DESIGN STUDIO!!

Aria and XUV are no comparision to each other, please!
Old 29th September 2011, 07:11   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...The face looks hideous and they have wiped off a good part of the urban market with the design.
...It is once again proven that the Tata design team rocks, and Mahindra's design team sucks.

I might add that it's really the front bumper & the grille that are ugly. Hope some after-market modifiers (Autopsyche??) come up with simple, bolt-on plastic kits. Then, we're talking.
It looks like Mahindra needs to keep giving some work to the Mahindra Customisation Team. So soon they would say, buy the XUV and then send it to the Mahindra Customisation Team to get a host of add-ons like the front bumper.

The front grille looks like somebody gave it a shove and it moved up by a couple of inches. The bumper looks like a jig-saw puzzle, with many pieces missing.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:25   #1804

I have been watching this thread every morning for past 24 months. Yesterday, i was waiting for the launch of xuv500 like anything and spent whole evening looking at the minutest details.
Got up early morning just to get more details on its pricing and how to get it here in bhopal. will be visiting mahindra dealer today and booking it. whatsoever dissapointment many BHPian have is because of the high expectations which they have attached to it.
I had owned a scorpio and now have ford fusion, this product is any day suitable for people like us who live in small cities. after all this is indian and mahindra understands better indian minds than anybody else.
I am going to buy it in the first hour when it is available here in bhopal. dont worry mahindra there are many like us who have to spent time in urban and rural indian equally. Kudos. Its a great product seems from pictures but keep the price below 15 lac for top model.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:27   #1805
NIP
Senior - BHPian

I honestly think many people here are jumping the gun. I am waiting to see it in the flesh and take it for a spin. It really does not look so bad and its a fantastic effort by M&M. The interiors for one are fantastic (save for the colours). I hope they dont make a mess of the pricing. I'm willing to put my money on it if the handling is good. I have no doubts on the engine/drivetrain here.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:32   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Not a bad effort by M&M in the end. Yes, the horizontal slats/cuts in the front bumper looks like skin peeling off after a severe burn injury and the needless fussy detailing all around is a bit loud, but a few simple PS jobs by bhpians have shown what could have been.

The basic stance and profile are in place. There is a lot of scope for potential mod jobs. Looks decent once the missing pieces of the jigsaw puzzle front bumper are fixed. Must be the first time a factory car has to be modded for a tone down.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:45   #1807
Senior - BHPian

TBH not a bad job by M&M. Even though I don't like the rear, that can be ignored in the overall scenario especially given the aggressive. To me the side looks like inspired from the latest Mitsu Outlander and the likes.

Interiors look gizmo laden and there obviously seem to be thought out. But one thing this will not replace the scorp is in being a people mover. The XUV500 is a strictly 5 seater compared to the 7/8/9 seater of the Scorp.

And teh vehicle is FWD primarily with and optional AWD. So that will definitely limit the off-road/ruggedness of the vehicle IMO.

Anyways now need to see the pricing and do a TD before making any further comments.

Cheers

P.S: Hope this inspires TML folks with a better Merlin thereby raising the overall bar.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:48   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
I cannot stop thinking of .. but it appears that XUV500 will make Bolero and Scorpio sell as hot cakes! Now it all rests with the pricing. If it is under 10 lacs, killer cheetah it is. If not, Mahindra is repeating Tata Aria.
I don't think they will price it under 10lacs. In my opinion, it would be priced a bit more than the top end variant of the Scorpio, which would mean around 12L minimium.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:48   #1809
Senior - BHPian

Except for the weird job upfront rest everything looks classy for a mahindra car IMHO. Never expected the interior to be this plush with all the gizmos in a mahindra. good job. if only the pricing is competitive it will have a good run.

If onroad price in delhi is below 15 lakhs for the top end it will be a killer
Old 29th September 2011, 07:52   #1810
BHPian

I am not sure that it is such an ugly looking vehicle ...... the front is different though .... but it sure looks menacing and I am sure it can have quite an effect on the roads. people will make way for this the moment they see this in their rear view mirrors :-D You can be the big bully on the road if you want to with this.... i would test drive this and make up my mind !!!!
Old 29th September 2011, 08:10   #1811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Quirky yes, but I quite like it But yes...I agree the design chaps at M&M need to get their heads out of the gutter! Pardon my PS job, but here's my version of the XUV500 (Someone please make the kit!):
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
I honestly think many people here are jumping the gun. I am waiting to see it in the flesh and take it for a spin. It really does not look so bad and its a fantastic effort by M&M. The interiors for one are fantastic (save for the colours). I hope they dont make a mess of the pricing. I'm willing to put my money on it if the handling is good. I have no doubts on the engine/drivetrain here.
I think the criticism around the looks is not jumping the gun. Just look at your rendering a few posts back, and had M&M given something like that, many of us would have been doing a "WOW" instead. The current design, seems like an over-enthusiast "Wannabe" designer was asked to go berserk and get an aggressive look. Aggressive sure, classy-definitely not.

The front is aggressive, fine. But what about that bulge on the rear wiper? Completely uncalled for. Does not add any value (or aggression) to the rear look IMHO.

PS: People on this forum pounced on Ford for giving the coral dashboard on the Figo which was completely "optional". So if people criticize the looks of the car, that is almost unanimously causing readers/enthusiasts to think of mods then something is definitely wrong. People definitely expect more, and nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by sachinayak : 29th September 2011 at 08:11.
Old 29th September 2011, 08:12   #1812
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
...unanimously causing readers/enthusiasts to think of mods then something is definitely wrong. People definitely expect more, and nothing wrong with that.
Never said it was wrong. Read more carefully
Old 29th September 2011, 09:03   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
How many bookings can we offer ? They obviously will target the rural and urban mass and yeah I find the front appealing. To each his own and compare this to the MHawk 2.2's front , I would put my money on this any-day.

I am in half the mind to dispose my mhawk and pick this up when launched, only if my boss would smile and throw in a good hike this year .
I am quite inclined to this one, if pricing is right and 4WD is in offer.

BTW any news of 4WD or even AWD on this?
Old 29th September 2011, 09:07   #1814
Senior - BHPian

We started on page 106 at 6:00PM yesterday and since then accumulated 16 pages in a single thread! Wow, the entire active Bhpians online might have been on this thread!

The design is different, to each, his own! A custom nosejob will make things right. The rest of the car is good. Interiors, top notch! A good step forward by Mahindra

Any details on the pricing?
Old 29th September 2011, 09:13   #1815
BHPian

When Mahindra launched the refreshed scorpio, people werent happy with the new bumper and the infamous tooth. But now most of the people love it than the older bumper.
It is just a matter of time. People will begin to appreciate this one too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed