Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 17:26   #2041
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 112 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Official info from the M&M website: Mahindra launches a new SUV, the XUV500

Last edited by Durango Dude : 29th September 2011 at 17:48.
Old 29th September 2011, 17:35   #2042
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 112 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The rear resembles the SRX and the side the outlander. Somehow the aria's classy design now suddenly looks more classy and simple. I have seen Arias with modified wide tyres on after market alloys looking smashing.

The front is inspired by cheetah. Why? You can see it on the two cutouts on the bumpers itself. A cheetah's claw runs when he hunts the bait and so the designers ran a knife with enough behrehmi over a clay model and finalized this. Just plain hideous.
To me at least, seen in the front profile, the XUV500 bears a slight resemblance to the Nissan Murano and maybe also the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and of course to the Mitsubishi Outlander.
Old 29th September 2011, 17:41   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
A chinese company will give you all this and more at probably half the price but are you willing to debate with the spec sheet alone? Have you driven it?
I merely said I dont like what I see of the XUV and wont pay 15 lakhs for it. How hard can it be?
I am surprised that you know your cars and still bringing in comparisons which are way off.
If you think it's overpriced I am certain to you it might well be. But please don't compare Mahindra with a nondescript Chinese brand. They are much better at least in the Indian context as reflected in the sales and customer feedback.
Also, if calling it VFM is a mistake without driving it or seeing it in flesh based on the facts laid down on paper, IMHO calling it expensive is an even bigger mistake as reflected by the polarized opinions on your comments.

P.S.- Just out of curiosity, which car do you own?
Old 29th September 2011, 17:41   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quick Points from Manson & Stratos!
Awesome! Looks like an official TD is underway. It would be great if you could compare this with Force One.
Old 29th September 2011, 17:43   #2045
Senior - BHPian

I sincerely do not like the front grill and bumper combination. Such a nice headlight design is marred by the gwaky bumper and grill. They took the cheetha inspiration literally .

Also one big grouse on the rear is the tappering profile towards the bottom which gives a top heavy look / appeal. I realy do not find any rationale behind the these two design features.

If I am not wrong, there are some NIDians working for Mahindra exterior styling team. I do not expect this form the pupils of such a premier institute.

Edit: I think many owners would change the grill and bumper to a more sedate aftermarket ones. But then I fail to see any moded Xylo to beautify it's look.

Last edited by manishalive : 29th September 2011 at 17:45.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:02   #2046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quick Points from Manson & Stratos!
Aha, so this does mean (?) Team-BHP is having the day out with the brute. Eagerly awaiting the complete review. I am surprised how you could keep yourself away from that. Sounding much like Aria'ish. Innova'ish handling should be boon for this cadre.

Note from Support: Post Edited to removed large quote. Please do not quote an entire large post. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th September 2011 at 20:13. Reason: see note in post
Old 29th September 2011, 18:06   #2047
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
I am surprised that you know your cars and still bringing in comparisons which are way off.
If you think it's overpriced I am certain to you it might well be. But please don't compare Mahindra with a nondescript Chinese brand. They are much better at least in the Indian context as reflected in the sales and customer feedback.
You have missed the context. I am only saying that proclaiming a model x is better because it has more features is not correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
Also, if calling it VFM is a mistake without driving it or seeing it in flesh based on the facts laid down on paper, IMHO calling it expensive is an even bigger mistake as reflected by the polarized opinions on your comments.
But with those looks I wouldn't even bother myself with a test drive let alone owning it. At 15 lakhs OTR Mahindra can and should have done better.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:07   #2048
BHPian

THIS IS CALLED A REAL LAUNCH!
Man, this XUV lauch managed to keep people glued to the news. What a perfect way.

I seriously think that they had couple of various price bands in their mind.
On the eve of lauch the bashing that they got must have made them to go for a lower price band.

And surpisingly what was yuck and what not yesterday is today the most adorable piece. See what magic money can play.

Kudos to mahindra. I am not talking about pricing but the equipment level.

I was just thinking how stupid I was that I even TDed likes of Grande, Xylo etc when I really wanted something distinct like this.
THIS IS GOING TO BE MY NEXT CAR if prices remain same when I am home on leave.
What will happen to Yeti? I am not even counting ARIA, Sfarai, Scorpio et all.

Can this be pitched against Fortuner?

I will be inclined for to go for Top End 4x2 if TBhp finds it sensible vehicle and I am happy with TD.

I have never let my wifes wishes down who point blank hates SUVs and is a hatchback typo (all her life all mahindra offlate 3 boleros in a row in succession). But this time sure I wouldn't listen to her.
Contrary to most of the people here I infact liked this vehicle from all angles.

On a different note, this launch would definitely launch price war across the segment, even intra segments. If this beast is a real star then why should one buy 5 yrs old Pajeros and CR-Vs and other expensive one at around 10 lacs (most optimistic) withuot safety features and even a warranty?

Now hoping to read and understand TeamBhp official review soon.

Rgds.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:11   #2049
BHPian

Woah that's such a turnaround from the initial reaction.Show's how much we Indians are suckers' for price and features.This clearly shows we are not a mature car market. Inspite of the price IMHO its still ugly.As far as people comparing the T fort and the Endy to this car,please people they are imported as CKD.Imagine their prices without the import duty,how many of us would buy this over a T fort which cost 15 lakhs? Not many I guess.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:12   #2050
BHPian

here is one seen near my office today

the driver was probably from the vicinity where this picture was shot, as we saw him giving joy rides to the village kids

the car looks fab and certainly has that wow factor

another car we saw was probably given to some journalists, as we saw them riding around and even take pictures of it from various angles
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-2909111632.jpg  

Last edited by Anupam : 29th September 2011 at 18:17.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:16   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Bold new design and a extremely competitively priced product. Mahindra seems to have a winner in hand already. I also see them launch this in the global markets and at least be noticed better than before. If they price it really well in the US/Europe, people will definitely see value in it.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:22   #2052
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra has pulled off a pricing coup with the XUV! They caught everyone by surprise. No one expected or speculated such a competitive price, albeit introductory. And now, the much talked about loud styling has suddenly become yesterday's news. Goes to prove that right price + size = king in the SUV segment.

Good to know that the t-bhp testing team is already on the case. This should be interesting..
Old 29th September 2011, 18:23   #2053
BHPian

Does anyone think that the XUV500 is a bit inspired by the Outlander?
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-wallpaper_12.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-exteriors_big04.jpg  

Last edited by djpeesh : 29th September 2011 at 18:24.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:28   #2054
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Does anyone think that the XUV500 is a bit inspired by the Outlander?
Thanks a good catch!
The similarity is quite striking. On the bright side, it does not resemble Xylo or Bolero like contraptions. In this price points, looks do matter!
Old 29th September 2011, 18:29   #2055
Senior - BHPian

There is one thing I have to say here...of late I really started to feel that Indian manufacturers will start to fall by the wayside as global majors like Toyota, Nissan, GM , VW etc begin to intensify their efforts in India.

Buy XUV 500 has laid off those fears for the time being...I mean what a reply to Toyota Fortuner. Fortuner has really been caught with its pants pulled down. I realize its still early day...infact very early days. But if I compare the specs and take into consideration initial impressions, I would really be spending time in Agra's mental asylum to now buy a Fortuner over a XUV 500!

Once again, great work, M&M!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks