Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 18:31   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 112 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Just maybe Mahindra decided that an Outlander with a diesel engine was the best thing to happen in the Indian SUV market. Ofcourse the styling is ridiculous and ugly, those rear wheel arches are positively ugly and overdone+garish. There is no understated elegance with this car.

But if one ignores the design, then waiting underneath is an outlanderesque monocoque chassis with a diesel engine. A lot of folks may .. no will fall for that.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:39   #2057
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 112 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
But if one ignores the design, then waiting underneath is an outlanderesque monocoque chassis with a diesel engine. A lot of folks may .. no will fall for that.
At half the price of Outlander Petrol to add to that.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:45   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Just maybe Mahindra decided that an Outlander with a diesel engine was the best thing to happen in the Indian SUV market. Ofcourse the styling is ridiculous and ugly, those rear wheel arches are positively ugly and overdone+garish. There is no understated elegance with this car.

I think you need to see it as futuristic design. There is nothing improper with this design, it is just that it is uncoventional. It is NOT ugly but may be over done, especially the buldge at the back.

But unlike the XYLO, XUV carries off the design elements well. It does not appear to be concoction of 70s, 80s, 90s, ...elements in one single vehicle.

If you hate this, then you should be hating the thick C pillar of XTRAIL.
And definitely this. Look at the Ford Kuga Cross over. It also has a quirky design.

But these are all very successful, modern designs. I think it is us, who need to be open to accepting better looking shoe/breadboxes, as SUVs. M&M has just done that.

Last night, I was also disappointed, but a night's sleep can do wonders. So sleep on it.

When you come back tomorrow morning please scroll up and down with XUV and Outlander. You will realise that Outlander is beginning to looked DATED now.

If you do not think of it that way tomorrow, we can discuss.

BIQ QUESTION: When is the booking starting in Bangalore? Neighbour wants to know. Also I think, SILVER and GREY look superb. Check this silver one out

BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 29th September 2011 at 18:55.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:48   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
There is one thing I have to say here...of late I really started to feel that Indian manufacturers will start to fall by the wayside as global majors like Toyota, Nissan, GM , VW etc begin to intensify their efforts in India.

Buy XUV 500 has laid off those fears for the time being...I mean what a reply to Toyota Fortuner. Fortuner has really been caught with its pants pulled down. I realize its still early day...infact very early days. But if I compare the specs and take into consideration initial impressions, I would really be spending time in Agra's mental asylum to now buy a Fortuner over a XUV 500!

Once again, great work, M&M!!
Absolutely agree.

I had made a booking for the upcoming facelifted Fortuner few weeks back. Based on TBHP review I might as well cancel that and book a XUV. and of course save myself 10L in the process. It might not be as reliable as a Fortuner or may not have that kind of a resale value, but I can buy myself and XUV and my wife a Jazz or a Swift with the spare money.

Going by paper, seems like a VFM product. Am in no hurry, will wait for the review.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:53   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
I think you need to see it as futuristic design. There is nothing improper with this design, it is just that it is uncoventional. It is NOT ugly but may be over done, especially the buldge at the back.

But unlike the XYLO, XUV carries off the design elements well. It does not appear to be concoction of 70s, 80s, 90s, ...elements in one single vehicle.

BH.
Absolutely Agree on each sentence there. Xylo somehow gives a stuck kind of image, as if the whole car itself is not comfortable on how it is being held up on the wheels XUV on the other hand is much more free flowing. Each design element complements the whole look and feel.

I dont like the rear though. Maybe they gave it a humanly touch. A Man is not goodlooking from the backview after all!

Last edited by vivek_vt : 29th September 2011 at 18:54. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 29th September 2011, 18:59   #2061
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely loved this design from Mahindra and the introductory price is very enticing.

I think Mahindra has got another winner here and can see many of these on the roads just like the Scorpio.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:59   #2062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_vt View Post
I dont like the rear though. Maybe they gave it a humanly touch. A Man is not goodlooking from the backview after all!
Exactly. Like I was saying yday, XUV's front is that of a cheetah, so naturally the rear needs to be inspired by the rear of the same animal, which incidently is not as presentable as its face.

BH.
BurningHeart is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 19:03   #2063
BHPian

An automatic version with more bells and whistles (think sunroof!) are on their way.
Old 29th September 2011, 19:05   #2064
BHPian

Somehow i liked the front .The side profile lokks ok. The rear looks uglier than the xylo IMO.

But with the pricing I think this will be a sure success
Old 29th September 2011, 19:13   #2065
BHPian

Awesome pricing by MM. By the way, found out one more Cheetah in the XUV with its two eyes and jaw. Or is it just me
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-cheetah.jpg  

raj84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 19:17   #2066
BHPian

Except for the weird front grill, I actually like the look of this car from all other angles, including the back.

Interesting to note the length of the XUV500 (4585mm) is actually less than that of the Chevy Cruz (4597) and the Renault Fluence (4618)! Though it is wider, but still seems to be a good size for driving in India.
Old 29th September 2011, 19:19   #2067
BHPian

Everybody is happy with the prices of XUV but it seems these are applicable only in metros and by the time it reaches tier 2-3 cities the price could go up. The only vehicle at this price point with similar engine i.e 140BHP/330NM is the ARIA.I have attached an excel sheet comparison between the two. Now for a longer vehicle with a much bigger boot,sliding middle row, better 3rd row seating and decent styling how much premium can it command over the XUV?
As of now its 2 laks more expensive on an average and it goes upto 3 laks for the top end 4x4.
The significant features which are unique to XUV are highlighted in red in the sheet.Sorry if the compilation is a bit crude i am not that good at excel.
Most of the long list of features listed on the XUV website are there on most varients of the ARIA too.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx XUVvsARIA.xlsx (10.7 KB, 734 views)

Last edited by damodar : 29th September 2011 at 19:24.
damodar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 19:22   #2068

any idea what is the ground clearance . the website does not mention it
Old 29th September 2011, 19:24   #2069
BHPian

Cant wait for TEAM BHP review! any one knows what the interior color combinations in the W6 and W8? really hate the peach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Everybody is happy with the prices of XUV but it seems these are applicable only in metros and by the time it reaches tier 2-3 cities the price could go up. The only vehicle at this price point with similar engine i.e 140BHP/330NM is the ARIA.I have attached an excel sheet comparison between the two. Now for a longer vehicle with a much bigger boot,sliding middle row, better 3rd row seating and decent styling how much premium can it command over the XUV?
As of now its 2 laks more expensive on an average and it goes upto 3 laks for the top end 4x4.
The significant features which are unique to XUV are highlighted in red in the sheet.Sorry if the compilation is a bit crude i am not that good at excel.
Most of the long list of features listed on the XUV website are there on most varients of the ARIA too.
Thanks for the comparison. But Id like to say that it would be unfair to compare the two. They are meant for different set of consumers. Its time TML launches their Merlin, but the question that remains in my head is about the price. They will no way be able to beat the pricing by M&M. Also the XUV500 has a big macho SUV look that we prefer. It looks tough!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th September 2011 at 20:05. Reason: see note in post
Old 29th September 2011, 19:31   #2070
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Does anyone think that the XUV500 is a bit inspired by the Outlander?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thanks a good catch!
The similarity is quite striking. On the bright side, it does not resemble Xylo or Bolero like contraptions. In this price points, looks do matter!
Good point. What I thought was if the size also is the same as Outlander?
The perception of size is missing. May be only possible when I see it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks