Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 07:39   #2131
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 112 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

205mm ground clearance - as per the proto that I saw last May.
cant be different in the production version

more than adequate for our conditions
considering the Scorp has only 180 mm it does an admirable job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Never could find details on the ground clearance anyone ?
Old 30th September 2011, 07:42   #2132
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 112 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 View Post
In case if you book it today, even if the prices are increased later, i dont think M&M would ask you to shell out more at the time of delivery. You would still be getting it at current prices.
No. I think you are supposed to pay at revised prices.
Price is mouth waterring no doubt. There will be many people who are looking for the Civic,Corola,Cruze,Laura include XUV500 in there option list.
Today's TOI news talks about the XUV500 launch and towards end of the article makes apoint that the prices may be revised in 3 months time after checking comodity prices.
Old 30th September 2011, 07:47   #2133
BANNED

yup I may book the top end one now once I TD it

Havent decided yet

all depends on the fit and finish inside and the handling while driving it.

I had given really detailed feedback to them in May at the evaluation and from what I can see, they appear to have taken many of those things seriously. Im happy for that fact.

And yes, at 15-16 OTR BLR it is a very good price indeed for a vehicle of this kind.

Let me see - and anyway I require my wife's buy in as well since we are a single vehicle family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
But then it will obviously be more pricey. "Invitation prices" will not inviting anymore.
Old 30th September 2011, 08:46   #2134
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKB View Post
Is it only me or others also feel that Zig Wheel articles is a not unbiased. I can clearly see the tilt towards creating an impression that its a great product. It is also to be noted that they had the pictures ( day time) before the launch of the vehicle.
You're right, man. The article had this to say -"but in this new baby rugged melds with style and the concoction of the two is deadly delicious!"

Give me a break!
Old 30th September 2011, 09:04   #2135
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

SIRISH CHANDRAN's review after driving the XUV500 - (Source: Facebook!)

* First impressions of XUV after a full day driving - FAR FAR better than anything Mahindra has ever made. Nearly car-like!

* XUV doesn't have unnerving top heavy stance of Scorpio. Sit within the car, great ergonomics, comfy seats, good driving position.

* Engine decently quick but massively torquey - there's even some torque steer (something I never thought I'd say of a Mahindra!)

* 6 speed gearbox not very slick, needs more effort than what should be necessary.

* Lovely ride & feels robust enough to not require slowing down for anything. Stable at speed - and it gets to around 160kmph.

* Handles decently. Fair bit of body roll & tyres squeal like crazy but grips well. Halfway bet car & SUV. Steering not totally lifeless.

* Disc brakes on all four wheels but noticed brake fade. Will be testing it rigorously today to draw definitive conclusion.

* Interior quality patchy but for this price and what XUV delivers Mahindra have done a terrific job.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 30th September 2011 at 09:06.
Old 30th September 2011, 09:29   #2136
BANNED

poor quality journalism. over usage of descriptors and ill advised adjectives.
i frankly dont care much for Zigwheels. Would much rather read Sirish Chandran, Shapur Kotwal and guys like that on cars - at least here in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
You're right, man. The article had this to say -"but in this new baby rugged melds with style and the concoction of the two is deadly delicious!"

Give me a break!
typically if one books now and has to wait for allocation, the dealer always has a disclaimer on the Proforma Invoice etc that the prices applicable would be those at the time of delivery and NOT those at the time of booking.
Hence even if one books today but on account of demand, has to wait 60 days or 90 days for delivery, one is not guaranteed the price which was applicable at the time of booking.
Here M&M would do well to take a leaf out of the Tata's book and guarantee the pricing for at least the first 2000 bookings equivalent to one month's production at their plant.
This would make it an offer one simply cannot refuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
No. I think you are supposed to pay at revised prices.
Price is mouth waterring no doubt. There will be many people who are looking for the Civic,Corola,Cruze,Laura include XUV500 in there option list.
Today's TOI news talks about the XUV500 launch and towards end of the article makes apoint that the prices may be revised in 3 months time after checking comodity prices.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2011 at 14:27. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 30th September 2011, 09:38   #2137
Senior - BHPian

I am sure XUV 500 designers got inspiration from this one.
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-xuvcompare01.jpg
But definitely the original look more classy. The bulge in the back spoils the otherwise neat body line. Looks like Some of the design elements such as Door Handle are just made to be different, not because it looks better than anything out there. Is the wraparound light at the back is practical?
Overall Desginers did a decent job, incorporating characteristics from different vehicles, but giving an identity of its own.

Last edited by teamveevee : 30th September 2011 at 09:40.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 09:38   #2138
BHPian

Launch in Bangalore at 1PM today at India Garage. I spoke to my Sales Advisor, he says that there is a exchange offer for Scorpios at Attractive price. If the price is convincing then I might exchange my 3mnth old scorpio. Woohooo fingers crossed
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 09:55   #2139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i frankly dont care much for Zigwheels..
Quotes from ET report.
Quote:
M&M aims to export XUV 500 to over 30 countries in the next couple of years. It also plans assembly of the vehicle at its subsidiary Ssangyong's plants in South Korea and Brazil.

Adil Jal Darukhanawala, editor in chief of Zig Wheels, said the state-of-the-art offering should DO well overseas. Other experts such as Ernst & Young's automotive sector national leader Rakesh Batra and Autocar's Sorabjee, however, said the XUV DOES NOT meet global standards, but will generate demand in India.

M&M will begin bookings for the XUV 500 in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai and Pune on Saturday. It will be rolled out across the country in 6-9 months.
Let us see who is correct here, Mr Darukhanwala or Mr Sorabjee. MM planning to export to 30 countries, but definitely missing US in the 30 countries list. The countrywide roll out is 6-9 months later, so definitely price will be higher when everybody gets a chance to book it.

Quote:
The XUV 500 may well make the going extremely tough for Tata Motors' crossover Tata Aria, which is priced higher but lags behind in features
Does anybody know exactly what are the features that are missing in Tata Aria Top Variant that is present XUV500 Top Variant.

Last edited by teamveevee : 30th September 2011 at 10:01.
Old 30th September 2011, 09:58   #2140
BANNED

sounds good. this is what my pal at the other dealership was mentioning.
my 3.5 year old Scorpio is any way ripe for change.

but I shall hold back until I TD this XUV beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Launch in Bangalore at 1PM today at India Garage. I spoke to my Sales Advisor, he says that there is a exchange offer for Scorpios at Attractive price. If the price is convincing then I might exchange my 3mnth old scorpio. Woohooo fingers crossed
Old 30th September 2011, 10:02   #2141
BHPian

This, I believe, is one of the most important launches of this year.
Well many have been comparing the XUV with other vehicles. My take is that however you design a car, it is bound to match some other competitor vehicles intentionally or unintentionally.
there are so many cars out there....eh..
While the front bumper was expected from M&M, it is by no means a deal breaker. I especially like the rear wheel arch, and the tail gate. It is one of the few SUVs which can carry the red color well.

The wiping mechanism with two arms for the left one, I believe, is not to commonize between LHD and RHD (as someone have said), but to offer an increased sweep area of the wipers per stroke.

Coming to the interiors, it is quite decent. I especially liked the instrument console. Looks futurestic.

Compared to the Aria, it is miles ahead, at least in my book.
If I had the means now, I would have definetly bought it without second thoughts, and yes, the color would be red.
Old 30th September 2011, 10:04   #2142
BHPian

Quote:

Cool, but if i get a good offer, I wouldn't even TD it coz:

1. Same Scorpio mHawk engine with different tune
2. Monocoque chasis am sure offers a better ride and handling dynamics
3. All Disks & ABS are from Scorpio (Guess)
4. Loads of bells and whistles (these are actually bonus for me)

And above all it is M&M, brand loyalty Eh... ?
Old 30th September 2011, 10:07   #2143
BHPian

Quote:

Any guesses on the ex Bangalore prices? How much difference will it generally be to ex delhi prices?
Old 30th September 2011, 10:09   #2144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Any guesses on the ex Bangalore prices? How much difference will it generally be to ex delhi prices?
Prices will be out by 1PM today. Ex showroom prices may be in the range of 50-60K but wht hurts the most is the Road tax, in delhi it is 7% and in Bangalore it is 15%
Old 30th September 2011, 10:10   #2145
BANNED

I had actually posted this info before.

Chennai Price is about 15.3 on road.
Bangalore will be around 15.5 on road or 15.6 - Top end version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Closed Thread

Most Viewed