Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 18:25   #2251
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

The car looks good on most of the fronts.. Looking forward to Team-bhp official review. But on second thoughts M&M might not give a chance to Team-bhp to review its new vehicle so soon, after looking at the review of Thar..
Old 30th September 2011, 18:28   #2252
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Abhishek,

That seems wrong. The OTR minus regn charges, for W6 is 13.4
I got this from the dealer. Breakup. You could be right cause I have no clue what these STD FITMENT is. If I reduce it, it comes similar to the price you quoted.

EX-SHOW ROOM PRICE : 1090914
ROAD TAX & HANDLING CHARGES : 212355
INSURANCE : 42494
STD FITMENT : 74416
ON-ROAD PRICE : 1420179
Old 30th September 2011, 18:31   #2253
BHPian

No clue what a standard fitment is

India Garage is where Ive booked. They didnt have the std fitment clause.

Where have you checked ?
Old 30th September 2011, 18:32   #2254
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 112 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

i dont have a problem at alll with the price for such a vehicle. it is absolutely loaded with goodies and looks large and aggressive too. In fact the Scorpio top end is definitely over priced as Ive been saying all along, now especially the contrast is very evident when compared to this XUV.
i saw it today - it is indeed very good value for the money one is expected to pay.
yes there are some fit and finish issues and perhaps the overall finesse inside could have been a bit better but I would say it is a superb vehicle at the price it is being offered.
I would not be surprised if this sparks off some interesting reactive strategies all over the marketplace.
however, for myself, I am still thinking deeply because in no way is this a compact SUV. It is Captiva Sized pretty much as I ve been saying all along. And I am looking for a slightly smaller than Scorpio size.
I will think on it a bit before committing to purchase. and of course I will only commit after a proper TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
But then it will obviously be more pricey. "Invitation prices" will not inviting anymore.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:38   #2255
BHPian

Quote:

Where have you checked ?
Sireesh Auto provided the quotation.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:38   #2256
BHPian

It has everything in one place. I do not think any other indian vehicle will have some many goodies in one. Serious time to think about changing the vehicle
Old 30th September 2011, 18:49   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Judging by the responses in this thread the jury is till out on the design. And most people who have seen the XUV in the flesh are suggesting that it isnt overdone to the point suggested by some of the snaps. The point sales potential in the 'under-developed' auto markets also considers the VFM aspect, cost of ownership & fuel economy and not just looks.

I agree that Korean Cars\SUVs have progressively improved & not just in the styling department. But the question really is which Korean model would you pitch against the XUV at this price point in Eastern Europe ? Consider the decent powertrain and the bells and whistles that the XUV offers. And remember the 11 lakh ex-showroom price in India is inclusive of the steep excise duty. Minus the ED, the car becomes even more attractive in a market with low import duties.
Zed,
The crossover segment is happening and there are plenty of choices.The Korean choices are Kia Sportage and the Hyundai ix35,and there are others too such as the Japanese Daihatsu Terios,the Nissan Juke,the Mitsubishi ASX,the highly rated Nissan Qashqai,Jeep Compass,Toyota Urban Cruiser are priced in the same range as the XUV 500 in the UK.The prices of cars in UK and India are about the same on road.
Old 30th September 2011, 18:50   #2258
BHPian

Quote:

Where have you checked ?
Mannu bhai, Which variant did u book ?? and are the prices for W8(2wd) and w8(awd) same as mentioned by abhishek or is there a change there as well?
Old 30th September 2011, 18:51   #2259
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 112 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
however, for myself, I am still thinking deeply because in no way is this a compact SUV. It is Captiva Sized pretty much as I ve been saying all along. And I am looking for a slightly smaller than Scorpio size.
I will think on it a bit before committing to purchase. and of course I will only commit after a proper TD.
Still looking for that elusive compact SUV? XUV is very Innovaish in its dimensions so I think drive-ability in the city should not be a big problem. If you want more compact then Duster might be the only option. However, the price of Duster would depend on what Renault honchos are smoking next year. If they do a Koleos and price it over 10 lacs then it is not worth it.
Old 30th September 2011, 19:05   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Mannu bhai, Which variant did u book ?? and are the prices for W8(2wd) and w8(awd) same as mentioned by abhishek or is there a change there as well?
The quote I got from India Garage for W8 2WD is 14,88,488
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 19:07   #2261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Zteg,

I booked a W6.

W8 prices are also lower,as per india Garage quote.

Looks like this std fitment thing is the factor. Need to figure that out
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 19:13   #2262
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Some notes made on my Showroom visit today:

The size spec comparo between Scorpio and XUV

Scorpio. lxwxh = 4430x1817 (excluding outside mirrors)x 1975. GC = 180mm
XUV. lxwxh = 4585x1890x1785. GC 200-205mm.
Turning Radius = 5.6metres same as Scorpio.
Fuel Tank Capacity 70 litres compared to the Scorpio 60 litres.
Gross Vehicle Weight = 2450kg compared to Scorpio at 2510 Kg 2WD and 2610kg for 4WD.
Wheelbase. XUV 2700mm compared to Scorpio 2680.

Yes it is a bit bigger than the Scorp but not significantly so.

Its significantly lower height will definitely be a huge plus in handling characteristics compared to the wallowy Scorp.

Its monocoque chassis will help with the rest.

The suspension I believe is much better than the Scorp.

The overall body weight has been kept lower by extensive usage of alloys and plastics - front facia, side flanges, rear flanges etc.

The colours look very good indeed. Notably Moondust Silver, Dolphin Gray and Amazon Green

I am glad M&M had the guts to step away from the Indian Beige Madness in their interiors. The Plum and Black does look very good to me.

It comes shod with either JK ELanzos or Bridgestones - 235 65 17 size.
Cannot choose the tyres. Can only request the dealer if possible to give Bridgestones.

Standard Battery is Amaron.

The third row seats can seat 2 kiddos. Even I can just manage to sit but it is uncomfy. In most cases one will simply fold the seats down and use that area as luggage space. At least I will certainly do so if I buy one.

The width in the rear luggage space area is not as much as in the Scorpio - this is because the Scorpio is much more boxy and hence liberates quite a bit of space there. The height is considerably less so one cannot for example transport a tall potted plant in the back which one can do in a Scorpio. I was unable to do my standard lateral golf bag test because it was very crowded but will do so when I TD the vehicle.

Pricing is 1603908 for the Top End ON ROAD. base price AWD W8 =1301688 + road tax 245629 + insurance 50092+ incidentals 6500 = 1603908/- Very good value. I think the EXTENDED WARRANTY would be Extra but it will definitely be worth paying that 15-20grand or whatever they wnt to charge for it. This vehicle must be bought with an Extended Warranty in my opinion because it is a first time effort and has squillions of electronics in it. Of course one must see what is covered in the warranty and what is not. Overall I would expect M&M to be fair on this to their consumers as they have proven to us in the Scorpio (personal experience).

All Accessories are extra. (Quoting from their literature)

LIFESTYLE
wide spoke alloys
contoured body guard
illuminated scuff plates
premium seat covers
premium floor mats
classy footstep
In car TV
In car chiller
roof mount DVD
night vision parking camera
coat hanger (EXCELLENT - AM GLAD this is there. It fits on the drivers headrest or the front passenger headrest)
sun film

ADVENTURE
sporty speed rim alloys
two tone seat covers
all weather floor mats
gps navigation from MapMyIndia
in car tv (with live reception major indian tv channels, you tube and all radio channels with free subscription for first year)
in car chiller
roof mount dvd
powerful fog lamps
rain visors
roof carrier
steel scuff plates
sun film

Chrome Kit
dramatic grille cover
headlight bezel
fog lamp overlays
dramatic tail light bezel
Bold ORVM overlays
neat tailgate accent
instrument dial bezel
door handle trims
classy window trims

Sadly there is no Luggage / parcel roller shelf/ tray yet

Swanky Personal Accessories you can buy off their webstore www.mahindraxuv500.com

Ace Golfing Kit - zip pouch with a putter a hip flask a golf ball and an extendable putting hole.

Thermal Flask
Sport Bottle
POrtable Massager
Emergency Car light
Emergency Air Pump
Powerful Binoculars
Stick Pad for keys and stuff
Astronomical telescope
adventure kit
golf cufflinks
executive card case
sport t shirts
premium t shirts
Multi function tool with LED torch
Magneto safety light
solar torch
powerful dyna light
sport caps
Hip Zipper pouch

All in all it is indeed a lovely package and the price is truly mouthwatering. This is a great effort by M&M to create value for consumers.

I would be a bit concerned about driving the beast every day in crowded old Bangalore because it is quite bulky overall.

But I guess if one can manage to drive all these other SUVs around why not this one?

More after a TD.

Cheers

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th September 2011 at 19:29.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 19:14   #2263
BHPian

Chennai OTR price for W6 variant are as follows

EX - 1095683, Tax+Regn - 1,74,355, Ins - 34,153. Total - 13,04,191
Old 30th September 2011, 19:14   #2264
BHPian

Mannu bhai,
Can you share your TD experience.Does one need to specify color and interior color option with booking?
Old 30th September 2011, 19:16   #2265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Judging by the responses in this thread the jury is till out on the design. And most people who have seen the XUV in the flesh are suggesting that it isnt overdone to the point suggested by some of the snaps. The point sales potential in the 'under-developed' auto markets also considers the VFM aspect, cost of ownership & fuel economy and not just looks.

I agree that Korean Cars\SUVs have progressively improved & not just in the styling department. But the question really is which Korean model would you pitch against the XUV at this price point in Eastern Europe ? Consider the decent powertrain and the bells and whistles that the XUV offers. And remember the 11 lakh ex-showroom price in India is inclusive of the steep excise duty. Minus the ED, the car becomes even more attractive in a market with low import duties.

Well said my friend. We fail to appreciate a very bold and innovative move from our own people. We have come a long way from Ambassadors, Padminis, Heralds, Willys, etc.... we have proved we can do it. Appreciate it, and when Mahindra can do all this at such a wonderful price in spite of all the drawbacks we have in our "system" with excise duties, service taxes, etc... where the tax payers money goes to wrong places and countries, making every politicians richer by day. We appreciate a Toyota Qualis which was a failed model elsewhere and was many years old, we appreciate a fortuner which was built on an Innova platform and prices double and still feel wow what a piece for that money.... we need to be critics and we also need to appreciate good work. I have been in many countries and driven many SUVs around the world. But always felt and desired for a homegrown product as this. Hats off to Mahindra and wishing success for this new "game changer" in the India auto market. I wished i was in India for this launch, but still stuck glued to my laptop, watching the launch through live streaming. I will surely rush to the nearest Mahindra dealer to see this product and if possible take a TD. I just cant wait to touch down in India.... Mahindra, Kudos to you and the team that put this vehicle to the world.
Jo-G is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks