Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2011, 10:44   #2341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881
I am not sure if this is discussed elsewhere, reviews mention that XUV500 has plastic fenders. How good are they in our traffic? Wouldn't the customer be forced replace the fender for every small nicks? Is it a weight / cost reduction strategy or is there any other practical reason for it?
I think it is enforced by insurance companies. The early Qualis had metal fenders while the latter ones had fibre.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 10:44   #2342
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

I am bloody happy the way XUV has turned out and I am sure mahindra is going to repeat the scorpio (success) story here. Correct me if I am wrong, but tata has not sold 8500 arias til date, even after 4x2. Grande dicor launch totally overshadowed by this.

That's one really menacing vehicle to see in your rear view mirror, just like a predator on your tail to eat you up. I eagerly awaiting for full test.
Old 1st October 2011, 11:27   #2343
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Guys, even I cant control my excitement & want to get the XUV home, being a Mahindra fan, I simply cant resist it.

But we never buy cars in year end. Also, my family thinks its better to wait & see the reviews from initial owners & judge market response!

I personally would like to wait for the twin turbo 170 bhp XUV or the A/T XUV... yummy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
@raj_5004 kudos to your fantastic efforts

When I look at the a/c vents, I feel if they may be too intimidating, will get too close and directly pointed to the person sitting closest to it and will not suffice to somebody sitting in middle in the 2nd row.
Yes, even I had the same worries. But the vents are adjustable. I dont know how effective they will be for the middle person but I think this works better than the roof mounted ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Raj which showroom did you visit?I have booked the w8 awd satin white but they didnt have it on display.How did the color look on the beast?
Global Gallarie in Thane. To be honest, I think red, black & grey would suit it more IMHO. but my friends were saying it looks mean & macho in white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The grill like thing on the bumper is made of rubber? It does look like rubber to me. If so we might be able to take it off or repaint it right?
Its plastic. Yes, its removable & can be painted. I confirmed that!

Quote:
The white color in your pics do look excellent. I guess initially, the lights at the launch venue made the cars look worser.
Yes, the car looks much better in flesh but looks smaller. maybe because of the design as specs wise, its bigger than innova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amind View Post
Did anyone notice the back door(hatch) when open, it does not have enough clearance space. I am 5.11 and I had bend a bit to stand under it, near the edge. Not a fix goof up, but I guess in their effort to provide the cheetah curve towards the back, the door ended up being lower then expected.

So if I buy and if I am ever handling luggage at the back, then I will have to bend my head slightly to avoid any bumps on my head. Negligent yet managed to notice it.
Yes, I am 6'2" & I noticed it.

Quote:
The sales staff at Malad, Mumbai were not able to help me with whether the second row seats lean back. I thought they did somewhat like the Xylo, but the sales staff said NO. Anyone else know about it ?
Yes, the middle row can be reclined. I tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Anyone who has test driven the vehicle please tell me weather the faux wood finish feels/looks cheap or its okay? Because in pictures ive seen on some reviews it does looks cheap, i would've preferred it to be shiny black and not the wood finish. But i havent seen the vehicle in person so wouldnt like to comment on this
See, personally i feel it does not look cheap at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
I am not sure if this is discussed elsewhere, reviews mention that XUV500 has plastic fenders. How good are they in our traffic? Wouldn't the customer be forced replace the fender for every small nicks? Is it a weight / cost reduction strategy or is there any other practical reason for it?
yes, it is plastic but really tough & durable. Infact I even tried pushing & punching it but its not brittle like in the innova. Rest assured, like every mahindra, this is built tough & rugged, I am glad!
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 11:42   #2344
Senior - BHPian

Never been much of a Mahindra fan. Had been more of a Tata fan but with XUV, my opnion has changed. What a looker XUV is! A real stunner and butch looking. In fact I will be surprised if pople buy other SUVs and MUVs even after seeing XUV.

I think, Tata should shelve Merlin now. No way they can match M&M's XUV.
Old 1st October 2011, 11:45   #2345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but tata has not sold 8500 arias til date, even after 4x2.
8500 booking in a day? In just 5 cities. Assuming that each city has 6 dealers each, they should on an average booked almost 300 cars each.. Blockbuster, if it is true...
tifosikrishna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 11:51   #2346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
8500 booking in a day? In just 5 cities. Assuming that each city has 6 dealers each, they should on an average booked almost 300 cars each.. Blockbuster, if it is true...
I think it must be true. When I went to the dealer in Thane, he was saying that dealer crossed 100 bookings in just half a day.

Some are booking the car without seeing it or driving it !!!

I witnessed a man who wanted two in white in 2 days & was ready to pay any amount!
Old 1st October 2011, 11:57   #2347
Senior - BHPian

The Autocar India video review!

Last edited by anekho : 1st October 2011 at 12:02.
anekho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 12:34   #2348
Senior - BHPian

Performance Numbers for BS Motoring

According to BS Motoring review - the performance is better compared to Scorpio. It can do 0-100 in 13.7s, more than a second more compared to Scorpio. Top speed to should to 180. While its still 1 second slower than the bigger engined Fortuner/Endeavour (both 12.xs to Ton), its certainly very good and is comparable.

I am looking forward to the TBHP Review for one key input - ride and handling. If the monocoque design makes the XUV comparable to the Innova in handling & ride quality, this becomes a near perfect solution for people upgrading from Sedans!

Mahindra XUV500 test drive and review

Without a doubt, this is the most significant launch of the year, and a Game Changer in the SUV space.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 1st October 2011 at 12:37.
Old 1st October 2011, 12:56   #2349
BHPian

Hi guys,

I visited the G3 showroom yesterday and I really liked the XUV, gud job by Mahindra.

Since lot of pros are already discussed let me put up my cons & querries for it.

Cons -

1. The lowest portion of front bumper it too low , it may get damaged with the footpaths while parking the car in streets.
2. The GC is around 210 mm not 220 mm.
3. The 2 nd row is not comfortable & wide w.r.t Safari.
4. In 3rd row there is hardly any leg room.
5. With the 3rd row up there is hardly any luggage space .

Querries -

1. Monococoque Design - In case of accident how the repairs will be.
In normal chasis design only the body gets damages or if it very high impact the chasis gets damaged and you can replace the body parts or the chasis.

But in case of XUV what damages will take place because of impact and what needs to be replaced?
How it will affect the overall body alignment ? I may be wrong so experts pls clarify.

2. AWD - In tricky situations like mud or soft sand etc we normally slect the right gear 4L / 4H before approaching it prefrably on hard surface itself. It helps helps in attaning the right momentum to clear the obstacle, becuase once you are stuck and your wheels loses the traction the 4 wd also doesn't help much in most of the situations.

So in case of XUV AWD it may be too late for the vehicle to recognize the requirement of AWD. Is there any option where you can forcibly put the vehcile in AWD?

Thanks!

I am planning to book this vehicle tmrw so gurus pls through some light on my queries.
Old 1st October 2011, 13:04   #2350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Chennai has only 3 dealers. Bangalore 5 dealers. DelhiNCR 9 DEALERS. Mumbai 5 dealers. Pune 1 dealer.

23 dealers booking 8400 XUV IN A DAY? i.e each booking 400 units?
evey 90 seconds one booking? India is truely poor country

Agreed XUV HAS GARNERED Good response. but 8400 units vide 5 cities alone in 10 working hours is super Marketing goofup.

At XUV WEBSITE Price tab is not working? Mahindra thinks introductory prices are over?

Last edited by harimakesh : 1st October 2011 at 13:12.
Old 1st October 2011, 13:15   #2351
BHPian

From what I here, the XUV already has a 3month waiting period. Some DSA assured me delivery in 2 weeks for a white W8 in Mumbai for a 1.5l Rs Premium. Crazy!
Old 1st October 2011, 13:23   #2352
Senior - BHPian

Thread is close to a million views
this proves the XUV's importance
Old 1st October 2011, 13:23   #2353
BHPian

XUV has the Start-Stop technology. As i understand it, the engine with shut down on braking (and at idle) and again start automatically when the accelerator is pressed

Is this understanding correct? After how many seconds (on stopping) does the engine stut down? Are there any ill effects of this?
Old 1st October 2011, 13:25   #2354
BHPian

All reviews we read till date focus only on the Front console , Over all interiors and exteriors .

Whats not pointed out here is weather XUV has three row AC . The reason i am asking this is that i own a Scorpio and we sorely miss this for long drives . The problem is that front end row freezes the moment we have a high AC mode. Back end with 5-6 people on board feel no air in back .

We need to clarify on priority on if XUV does have 3 Row AC . We use Innova more then our scorpio when we always go out in groups .

We infact thought of converting the existing Scorpio AC to a Roof AC for at least for the 2 Row for better air flow . If some one has done this change, please suggest costing

Hope Mahindras reading to this feedback .
Old 1st October 2011, 13:27   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post
Querries -

1. Monococoque Design - In case of accident how the repairs will be.
In normal chasis design only the body gets damages or if it very high impact the chasis gets damaged and you can replace the body parts or the chasis.

But in case of XUV what damages will take place because of impact and what needs to be replaced?
How it will affect the overall body alignment ? I may be wrong so experts pls clarify.
Monocoque chassis is much more safer in collisions when compared to LOF. All modern & 5 star rated SUVs (softroaders) come with mono construction, read Audi Q3/Q5, Volvo XC60, etc. Its also better in terms of ride, handling, stability & NVH.

Quote:
2. AWD - In tricky situations like mud or soft sand etc we normally slect the right gear 4L / 4H before approaching it prefrably on hard surface itself. It helps helps in attaning the right momentum to clear the obstacle, becuase once you are stuck and your wheels loses the traction the 4 wd also doesn't help much in most of the situations.

So in case of XUV AWD it may be too late for the vehicle to recognize the requirement of AWD. Is there any option where you can forcibly put the vehcile in AWD?
To be honest, I dont think the XUV can be a proper off roader. It's AWD more or less works like Audi's Quattro, its torque on demand for improving grip in slippery conditions & minor off road situations like gravel, snow, etc. & not for deep slush or hilly terrains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
XUV has the Start-Stop technology. As i understand it, the engine with shut down on braking (and at idle) and again start automatically when the accelerator is pressed

Is this understanding correct? After how many seconds (on stopping) does the engine stut down? Are there any ill effects of this?
Ill effects? The AC shuts down along with the engine! But you can switch off this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
All reviews we read till date focus only on the Front console , Over all interiors and exteriors .

Whats not pointed out here is weather XUV has three row AC . The reason i am asking this is that i own a Scorpio and we sorely miss this for long drives . The problem is that front end row freezes the moment we have a high AC mode. Back end with 5-6 people on board feel no air in back .

We need to clarify on priority on if XUV does have 3 Row AC . We use Innova more then our scorpio when we always go out in groups .

We infact thought of converting the existing Scorpio AC to a Roof AC for at least for the 2 Row for better air flow . If some one has done this change, please suggest costing

Hope Mahindras reading to this feedback .
The XUV does have 3 row AC with individual condenser & control for 3rd row. Check out my Review on Pg. 153 for pics.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 1st October 2011 at 13:31.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks