Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2011, 19:03   #2386
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Since XUV is a AWD where some amount of torque is distributed to all wheels at all times, it doesn't requires a 4WD lock button.
This is incorrect. XUV is not AWD although mahindra claims it to be. It is more on-demand 4WD. Which means like most other soft roaders, it runs predominantly as Front Wheel Drive, power is routed to rear axles only when wheel slippage is detected. The light duty 4WD sytems are not durable enough to be engaged permanently like Full Time AWD systems like Pajero, Fortuner, land Cruiser etc which have center differential.

If there is no 4WD lock button, Torque will find its' way to the easiest wheel i.e. the wheels with least traction. Only 4WD Lock button will ensure equal amount of Torque to each wheel.

Omitting the 4WD Lock button is purely a Mahindra Quirk like removing the gear selector on the Scorpio Automatic.

As to why Mahindra calls this AWD, I don't know, just like I could never understand whey they call the Start Stop feature in the Scorpio a micro *Hybrid*
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 19:08   #2387
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

As to why Mahindra calls this AWD, I don't know, just like I could never understand whey they call the Start Stop feature in the Scorpio a micro *Hybrid*
What I conclude is manufacturers use these terms differently . 'Real Time 4WD' may be more apt for XUV.
Old 1st October 2011, 19:19   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The mini test track test drive videos by Zigwheels / Autocar helps to see how the vehicle on the move looks like. XUV looks good on the move. Mahindras have struck what wide band of car buyers needed from Indian manufacturers with reasonable price.

I trust Mahindra retains this price as the cross migration across sedan buyers will remain effective.

If XUV manage to sell 2-3K plus units successfully This will set off price adjustments/discounts not only on SUVs but some MUVs and sedans like Civic/Corolla/Laura/Innova/Aria/ and the likes.
Old 1st October 2011, 19:25   #2389
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Basis this then is the Tucson's 4WD system more robust than this XUV's?
Same query ref Subaru Forester AWD system. Or are they all just light duty AWD systems in comparison to say, the Fortuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is incorrect. XUV is not AWD although mahindra claims it to be. It is more on-demand 4WD. Which means like most other soft roaders, it runs predominantly as Front Wheel Drive, power is routed to rear axles only when wheel slippage is detected. The light duty 4WD sytems are not durable enough to be engaged permanently like Full Time AWD systems like Pajero, Fortuner, land Cruiser etc which have center differential.

If there is no 4WD lock button, Torque will find its' way to the easiest wheel i.e. the wheels with least traction. Only 4WD Lock button will ensure equal amount of Torque to each wheel.

Omitting the 4WD Lock button is purely a Mahindra Quirk like removing the gear selector on the Scorpio Automatic.

Old 1st October 2011, 19:33   #2390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Same query ref Subaru Forester AWD system. Or are they all just light duty AWD systems in comparison to say, the Fortuner?
Subaru AWD is very robust and advanced. Firstly, all 4 wheels get equal torque distribution under the normal circumstances. Depending on the condition it can route more torque to the wheel/s which has more traction. Subaru claims that even if single wheel has traction, the vehicle can get out of the slippery situation without getting stuck.
XUV 500 seem to have real time 4WD system like in CRV or Captiva, which are primarily front wheel driven systems which depend on loss in traction to engage the 4WD.

Last edited by Guna : 1st October 2011 at 19:37.
Old 1st October 2011, 19:43   #2391
BHPian

Any guesses about how many XUVs mahindra has rolled out prior lauch.

I was wondering when we would get the first ownership report here on temabhp.

Would the deliveries be starting within a week?
Old 1st October 2011, 19:45   #2392
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

no doubts about this. I have read this in their brochures and on the web. And have experienced their 2011 model top end AWD Forester vehicle personally.
But what I want to know is whether or not the Subaru and Tucson's 4WD/ AWD systems are as robust as the Fortuner's for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Subaru AWD is very robust and advanced. Firstly, all 4 wheels get equal torque distribution under the normal circumstances. Depending on the condition it can route more torque to the wheel/s which has more traction. Subaru claims that even if single wheel has traction, the vehicle can get out of the slippery situation without getting stuck.
XUV 500 seem to have real time 4WD system like in CRV or Captiva, which are primarily front wheel driven systems which depend on loss in traction to engage the 4WD.
Old 1st October 2011, 19:50   #2393
BHPian

Vento or XUV 500 Dilemma

Posting for a friend of fine .He was in final stage of booking a vento highline TDI .

The XUV 500 launch has landed him in a dilemma

Will the XUV 500 impact the passenger car segment especially the vento and verna (diesel)??

If i would have to pay a ex-showroom price of close to 10 Lakh on a sedan why can't i pay a lakh more and get the XUV 500(w6).

If i would compare features of the vento with the XUV500 ,my feeling is Vento lacks compared to the XUV)(w6).
Old 1st October 2011, 19:58   #2394
Senior - BHPian

Well finally i booked it. It's Moondust Silver w6 for me. I dont need Mahindra's gizmo's as i have seen in scorpio too that many complain bout their reliabilty hence the less it is the better. Also it gives me the oppurtunity to add my own person touch like my 17-18" crome alloys, Better ICE, Stanley leather etc

I had the option to go through canteen as well and save a cool 1.5 lakh on w6 however i really cant wait to lay my hands on this hence buying it from outside market. No pain No gain.

How many here in Teambhp have already booked it?
Old 1st October 2011, 20:27   #2395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
no doubts about this. I have read this in their brochures and on the web. And have experienced their 2011 model top end AWD Forester vehicle personally.
But what I want to know is whether or not the Subaru and Tucson's 4WD/ AWD systems are as robust as the Fortuner's for example.
We may be going OT here But hope this is somewhat relevant in the context of XUV 500 as well.
I would consider Forester to match the robustness of the 4WD system of the Fortuner as it has low range, has LSD and viscous coupling which takes care of the equivalent of differential locking to an extent.
I dont know if Tuscon has 4L and differential locking (even if they get triggered by pressing 'one' button like in Yeti)
The problem with the systems like in XUV 500 (if it turns out to be like what we are thinking) is, 4WD gets engaged only when there is a slip (and it cannot be driver controlled) and even after the 4WD is engaged it can be useless if there is no way to lock the differentials (even with the help of some electronics)
Old 1st October 2011, 20:42   #2396
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this thread has close to million views already!
Old 1st October 2011, 21:02   #2397
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I wanted to ask this for some time now - How is the music quality in this system? Does anyone know which brand of player / speakers are used in this vehicle?

Also noticed that in the OD review, Sirish mentioned that there are 3 color options for interiors

1. Black & Plum
2. Full Black
3. Beige & Plum

Has anyone who booked the car given the interior color option as well? Just want to know whether there is this full black option ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
My sister is in bangalore so will it be possible if i book the vehicle through her in bangalore and then at the time of delivery she transfers the allotment to my name and i do a temporary registration in bangalore and get the vehicle to mangalore and do the permanent registration?
You have the option of doing it but,

1. Any idea whats the waiting period in Bangy or when will you get your car if booked in Bangy?

2. When is the car launching in Mangalore?

3. If the difference in time that substantial for you to take delivery in Bangy itself?

4. Will you bring the car all the way to Bangy for servicing if the A$$ doesn't open in Mangalore by then?

Once you have answers for these questions, guess you will have a better picture.
Old 1st October 2011, 21:07   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Wow, this thread has close to million views already!
AFAIK one of the most active thread in recent times.
Sorry to repeat, But This shows power of right pricing.
Old 1st October 2011, 21:07   #2399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Well finally i booked it. It's Moondust Silver w6 for me. I dont need Mahindra's gizmo's as i have seen in scorpio too that many complain bout their reliabilty hence the less it is the better. Also it gives me the oppurtunity to add my own person touch like my 17-18" crome alloys, Better ICE, Stanley leather etc

I had the option to go through canteen as well and save a cool 1.5 lakh on w6 however i really cant wait to lay my hands on this hence buying it from outside market. No pain No gain.

How many here in Teambhp have already booked it?
Thats great congrats, is this vehicle available through CSD I thought there is still some time for that.
Old 1st October 2011, 22:37   #2400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Also noticed that in the OD review, Sirish mentioned that there are 3 color options for interiors

1. Black & Plum
2. Full Black
3. Beige & Plum

Has anyone who booked the car given the interior color option as well? Just want to know whether there is this full black option ?

Even I wanted to know weather it is avaliable in all black, personally I prefer all balck to (blak and plum). Somehow the plum doesn't go well with interiors. Im surprised how they havent mentioned it even in their brochure I believe what sirish said is wrong. I think there is only the beige and (black and plum) available. Just hope this is wrong and there is a full black avaliable!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks