Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:42   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Beast and consorts experienced

Stopped at Sireesh auto Blr this Friday while getting back from work. Saw the mob and jumped in. The dealer folks were so courteous and looked like a transformed bunch. Remember when the Xylo was launched, no one was even willing to say hello as if they meant wait for the TD or else vanish.

But now it was a completely different scene, with belles welcoming you and noting down contact numbers of each and every soul entering the inner sanctum where the five double ooo were resting. Once you get past them you would be greeted by a executive who would own you till you get out explaning each and every aspect of their new muscle. Added in expert sales guys like Jason who would bowl you over delivering one of the best talks oodling about their new offering. All this mind you to EVERY customer who walks in irrespective of if he is a onlooker, window shopper, prospective buyer, future buyer doesn't matter.

Now this is some transformation not only in the vehicles these guys build but also the organization that sells them. Hope these changes are consistent and continued for times to come. Also clicked some pics on my mobile as I was really excited seeing these smart beasts. Pardon the pic quality and treat this a my small contribution to the visuals for this thread!
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011003.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011004.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011005.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011011.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-30092011012.jpg  

Attached Images

girishglg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:53   #2432
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Beast and consorts experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Now this is some transformation not only in the vehicles these guys build but also the organization that sells them. Hope these changes are consistent and continued for times to come. Also clicked some pics on my mobile as I was really excited seeing these smart beasts. Pardon the pic quality and treat this a my small contribution to the visuals for this thread!
Completely agree with you. There is a huge change in attitude and level of product knowledge in dealer executives. I asked for power to mass ratio to one executive at Sireesh but he didn't know the exact figure. He ran inside and came back with his notepad he used for XUV training. And promptly replied for my query that the Power to Mass ratio is 85. I hope the same transformation happened to the service engineers and Service advisers too. Now when visit M&M showroom, I feel the organization has a purpose built on their key values. Especially when it is well connected with rightly priced products like XUV 500.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 2nd October 2011 at 09:55.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:25   #2433
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhasin View Post
Dual zone climate control in XUV 500 - Is it for the driver and passenger side or is it referring to front and rear HVAC settings

If it refers to the latter, How does one change the HVAC settings for the rear?
It doesnt have Dual Zone climate control. However, the 2nd and the 3rd bench get their own blower controls.
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:45   #2434
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Been to Silver Jubilee motors at Pune yesterday to take a look at the new brother my Scorp. The Cheetha is stunning, inside out, and beyond my imagination from a product of M&M, having been using an M&M product for last two years. They have really made it world class on it’s looks. As an example, the rear seat now has a 60-40 split, and when you fold it down, it folds down completely in line with the rear bumper height, and you will not feel there was seat existed. Well done M&M.
That said, few things that put be down were the following, and that may just reflect on the dealer and not necessarily the car.
1) There was a huge mob out there, checking out XUV 500, and 90% of that was the village crowd!
2) The sales guys seem to be busy all the times, either on their phones or taking to some customers, so couldn’t really talk to anyone.
3) There was a sales girl, and when I quickly enquired about the difference in Engine from Scoprio, she acted as if she didn’t hear me, and when I repeated, she asked me to take a look at the spec sheet.
4) Couldn’t get a test drive, as there was a beeline for the same.
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:10   #2435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Too many gizmos, too much electronics in use, Mahindra are not there yet, this car too like high end Scorpios and Xylo will be prone to many electronic and drive train failures.

Instead of American Gizmo laden vehicles the focus has to like Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi on performance and reliability.
It is easier to load with gizmos and features but quality and reliability needs to be earned the very hard way and takes time . If they really start focusing on it now, they may get there in few years.
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:00   #2436
BHPian

I went to see the car on Friday at the company showroom in town. As all the posts here have rightly pointed out lots of hoopla and a mixed bag of buyers, onlookers filled the showroom. I was greeted with a smile, offered sprite, and a well cushioned seat while I waited for a sales exec. So far so good. I did get my five minutes with the mean looking softie.

1) I asked the exec, " in the 4wd version" to which he immediately corrected me and said "this car is not a 4wd, it's a AWD, all wheel drive sir". I accepted my mistake, and queried as to how much % of torque is the "AWD" system capable of transferring to the rear wheels, or a single wheel ?.

Sales exec : sir this system has 140 bhp, and 330 nm of torque available between 1700 to 2800 rpm.

Then I repeated the question in Hindi, which led a pause, slight confusion. He then said sir I don't know about that because I can only tell you what we have been taught during training, but I will get a technical person to answer you, in the mean time he showed me some features of the car.

Then another sales exec shows up, I assume he is the tech guy, and I repeat the above question to him, his reply, aree it's a AWD car with ESP, it's all automatic. I dint push the matter any further.

2) I asked them what is the fording depth for the all wheel drive variant. Now I had two sales exec's with confused expression, so switched to reliable Hindi,me : kitney mm pani me sey ye gaadi jaa sakti hai?. Reply sir this car has ground clearance of 220 mm, Scorpio se bhi upar hai sir. I replied " wow", it brought the smile, the eagerness back in their body language. ( the website says 200 mm)

3) Me : is there a 4wd lock mode in this car ?. Differential lock hai isme ? This was when I was sitting in the drivers seat. A customer standing nearby turned and answered, yeah it's present. Sales exec grinning adds in : dekha sir nowadays customers know the car better. Me: accha jaara mujhe dikhao where is the switch for that. Two minutes of frantic searching followed. I was looking, the sales exec was looking and so did the friendly neighbourhood customer. We could not find how to manually engage the diff lock. The friendly customer then ambles away to mingle with his kith and kin. That leaves me and the sales exec. Sales exec " sir diff lock hoga sir, iss gadi mein sab automatic hai.

I saw The review by auto - car, renuka mentions about the presence of a difflock, but did not elaborate on whether the provision exists to manually engage it. The other softies like the Santa fe has a switch that does job. The haldex system in the yeti and skoda superb v6, can transfer unto 90% torque to a single wheel which makes the yeti a very capable softie. I Was very curious to know the data for the xuv 500. Guess will have to wait for a detailed review by team bhp and for some more tech data to be released by the company.

Disclaimer : I am not trying to take anything away from the sales executives, they were doing a fab job of handling all the rush. I just wanted to know a lil bit of tech data which I though some senior person from the company at the showroom might know. I chose this showroom because when I called them they clearly mentioned that it's a company owned showroom, hence I thought the chances of getting my questions answered here would be greater.

It's an excellent package and superb introductory pricing. In my overall 30 mins i was there 4 bookings were made for the w8 model.
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:11   #2437
BHPian

Ramkripa Ananthan: Ruggedness of M&M's SUV XUV500 has feminine dash - Economic Times

Just found this on the internet.

Woah man she claims she designed the fendor swoop.What an idea? She copied the whole damn car.The profile is from an Outlander,the fendor swoop is from a Montero,the rear is a copy of the Cadillac destroyed by 5 times,the instrument binnacle is a copy of the Montero and the Hyundai Sonata(the new one) and the swooping headline from the Range Rover Evoque.It is a mishmash of design and frankly people are gaga over it for the price and the features.How much she understands design can be known by looking at the side view mirrors,I mean the whole car is muscular and she adds wing mirrors from an i20.Maybe internet was down and she could not copy some other manufacturer for the wing mirror and she copied the wing mirror from her own car.

All she did was to spoil the good bits she copied by going to Kenya for a cool holiday on the company expense and adding cheetah's whiskers,unnecessary details.I know the front was copied from a cheetah's whiskers and the bump on the rear wheels by the muscles of a cheetah,so then did she take the inspiration of the cheetah's rear for the back of the car

I saw the car in person yesterday and frankly the interiors are a disaster in quality.The trimlines are all over the place,the dash reflects badly,the touchscreen has a garish red backlighting(have you seen BMW doing this ever?),mood lighting in red(is this a pub) and would you see the cheap plastic wood trim.Interiors of a car are supposed to pleasing and that's why car manufacturers use pleasing backlighting and not strong colours.The Aria interior is much better quality and the Innova too is leagues ahead.Only people who value features more than quality would buy this car.I drive a sedan similarly priced and even if I was given this car free I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

It's a blingy car and guess we will see a lot of them with oversized Chrome Alloys.Nonetheless it will sell well,we Indians love bling don't we? We are the world's largest purchasers of gold aren't we?

Last edited by Ascari : 2nd October 2011 at 12:30.
Ascari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:13   #2438
Senior - BHPian

Looks and colors

Looks are definitely imposing and intimidating. But seems unnecessarily jazzed up. Might have really looked Classy had it been plain yet retaining that intimidating look and stance.

The sides seem to be bulged out including flared out wheel arches too much in order to give Cheetah jumping style. That seems to add too much to the width of the car which could have reduced the width of the car to great extents OR could have been incorporated within to give more room inside (but that would mean a large chassis and all things associated with it.

Yet, it stands out prominently and if you are lover of Jazzy style seems to suit it well. Scorpio really looks goner in front of it. The people visiting seem unaware of something called Scorpio and Xylo.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070965.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070966.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070967.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070945.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070895.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070899.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070941.jpg

The bumper net is really unnecessary but can be ignored, overall looks good from a distance. It seems to stand out in red but not in Military Green and White so much. Black would be beauty but could not catch it there. Military Green seems to be a superb color. Red also looks superb but for the jazzy bumper with its net standing out strongly. This Red color looks much better than Innova's Red IMO.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070943.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070944.jpg

Paint quality really seems superb and you do need to look closer to really understand it.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070934.jpg

Last edited by parsh : 2nd October 2011 at 12:15.
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:27   #2439
BHPian

Booked W8 AWD in silver colour yesterday for my brother yesterday....
I was the last one to book it yesterday and my number was 145th in the que in Sterling motor Gurgaon.... If in gurgaon they have got 150 bookings on day one then I am sure NCR would have got 2000 bookings on day one...

Another Blockbuster in making from M&M Stable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Well finally i booked it. It's Moondust Silver w6 for me. I dont need Mahindra's gizmo's as i have seen in scorpio too that many complain bout their reliabilty hence the less it is the better. Also it gives me the oppurtunity to add my own person touch like my 17-18" crome alloys, Better ICE, Stanley leather etc

I had the option to go through canteen as well and save a cool 1.5 lakh on w6 however i really cant wait to lay my hands on this hence buying it from outside market. No pain No gain.

How many here in Teambhp have already booked it?
Old 2nd October 2011, 12:35   #2440
BHPian

Mahindra made it too complicated. I am sure the design heads @ Mahindra hates simple lines. They are proving it again and again!

And why does the front end remind me of the new Jeep Compass?

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-jeepcompass2011.jpg
jaguar.runs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:30   #2441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
Ramkripa Ananthan: Ruggedness of M&M's SUV XUV500 has feminine dash - Economic Times

Just found this on the internet.

Woah man she claims she designed the fendor swoop.What an idea? She copied the whole damn car.The profile is from an Outlander,the fendor swoop is from a Montero,the rear is a copy of the Cadillac destroyed by 5 times,the instrument binnacle is a copy of the Montero and the Hyundai Sonata(the new one) and the swooping headline from the Range Rover Evoque.It is a mishmash of design and frankly people are gaga over it for the price and the features.How much she understands design can be known by looking at the side view mirrors,I mean the whole car is muscular and she adds wing mirrors from an i20.Maybe internet was down and she could not copy some other manufacturer for the wing mirror and she copied the wing mirror from her own car.

All she did was to spoil the good bits she copied by going to Kenya for a cool holiday on the company expense and adding cheetah's whiskers,unnecessary details.I know the front was copied from a cheetah's whiskers and the bump on the rear wheels by the muscles of a cheetah,so then did she take the inspiration of the cheetah's rear for the back of the car

I saw the car in person yesterday and frankly the interiors are a disaster in quality.The trimlines are all over the place,the dash reflects badly,the touchscreen has a garish red backlighting(have you seen BMW doing this ever?),mood lighting in red(is this a pub) and would you see the cheap plastic wood trim.Interiors of a car are supposed to pleasing and that's why car manufacturers use pleasing backlighting and not strong colours.The Aria interior is much better quality and the Innova too is leagues ahead.Only people who value features more than quality would buy this car.I drive a sedan similarly priced and even if I was given this car free I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

It's a blingy car and guess we will see a lot of them with oversized Chrome Alloys.Nonetheless it will sell well,we Indians love bling don't we? We are the world's largest purchasers of gold aren't we?
yup,agree with you,there are many people who can come up with better designs than this thingy..and she had to go all the way to kenya to copy every bit from other vehicles

PS:the A/C vents i thing they didn't had a chance to copy better designs..
rolling on DUB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:38   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Looked at the car on Fri evening. I don't care where they got their design inspirations from, it looks great in flesh and that is all that matters.

Lots of folks have spoken about its good attributes and I agree with those. There are two issues I have with this car, lack of AT and the fact that middle row can be moved and doesn't incline either. I hope those get addressed in the next rev. The ability to move middle row towards the front allows the third row to be used for short distances and ability to recline helps during longer journeys. Don't know why they don't have these from the get go. It is not a rocket science to have rails on which rear seats can move.
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:45   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Visited Koncept Auto near Bhikaji Cama yesterday and it was an absolute melee there, so many people i mean its created a type of buzz which a car like Nano created

In front of me within 40-45 mins they did 7-8 bookings, a guy talking to me and my father booked 3 cars - yeah 3 in one go.
The car looked beautiful, the front end on the silver really looks good, it doesnt look like its from Mahindra when you give it a first glace, the interiors are well done, some rough edges but the price at which Mahindra have launched it - this is a big success story for them.

It had a nice feel to it once i sat on the driver's seat and this is already one big hit the way people are swarming the place.

Asked for a TD but they said their test drive car had technical issues so it was at the workshop and they would give TD after 3 pm - the whole staff was very courteous and helping.

I would be booking it soon by Jan next year or so once initial ownership reviews come up - perfect replacement for my 5 year old Mahindra Scorpio whose value was pegegd at 4.5 L
There would be lines of Scorpio coming in the resale market.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-img_0166.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-img_0167.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-img_0168.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-img_0169.jpg
Old 2nd October 2011, 14:46   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
lack of AT and the fact that middle row can be moved and doesn't incline either. I hope those get addressed in the next rev.
The middle row does incline. I have myself tried it.
Old 2nd October 2011, 14:57   #2445
Senior - BHPian

It's a looker for sure though it has a love it or hate it garish "Chinese' front end. At it's present cracker of a price it is ready to shake the Indian Car Scene IF it withstands the test of time...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed