Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:09   #2461
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
The middle row does incline. I have myself tried it.
I should patiently waited and tried it myself instead of taking salesperson's word. I did sit on it but there was so much crowd I didn't get a chance to spend time.
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:14   #2462
mxx
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
ACI mentions about a lockable 4WD both in their video review as well as the write up. It could be an error on their side. I also remember in one of the reviews the reviewer mentioning that in 2WD mode (or model) there was some amount of under-steering, which indicates that in 4WD mode (or model) some amount of torque goes to the rear wheels at all times.
No reason why 4wd lock info is an error.

Could be a system like in duster/xtrail/koleos where there are 3 modes -
2wd(always fwd),
4wd(fwd, but transfers power to 4 wheels when required)
4wd lock(always power delivered to all 4 wheels, but ratio based on situations)

Or like in Aria
4x4(default mode, power to all 4 wheels but ratio based on situations)
4x2(switchable via button on center console, power on 2 wheels only)

PS: 4wd and 4x4 are indicated by manufacturers, but no low ratio switching in these vehicles as in true 4wd vehicles

Last edited by mxx : 2nd October 2011 at 18:16.
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:31   #2463
BHPian

Checked the XUV in flesh today at SRS, Sony world. They just a Silver W6. Overall a fantastic package. The Salesperson was very courteous. He made me scream at the top of my voice to demonstrate the voice assist. There was not much crowd since it was raining heavily.
I felt the inner door handles and the height adjuster for the driver door is a bit too long. A little extra force and it might actually break into half (Cantilever effect). Wonder how long will it last.
On the whole, I liked what i saw. I will anyways wait for sometime until i book it.
Most inportant: Wifey loved it
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:41   #2464
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
One question I had was in such systems where they say the car behaves like a front wheel drive unless the front tyres lose grip in which case power is sent to rear wheels as well. Does that make it a true front wheel drive in most scenarios?

The Mahindra guy kept saying that under normal driving, 90% power is to the front and 10% to the rear as it's not possible to have 100% front wheel drive. Is that true? Can't the rear be diff be free completely?

I thought the CR-V had this option.
Mahindra guy is clue less. Basically these systems use some sort of light duty system that cannot be engaged all the time, even to give 10% to rear. This vehicle will predominantly Front Wheel Drive. When wheel slippage is detected power will be send to the rear wheels.

With Transversely mounted engines, there is no place to accommodate a center differential that will allow this vehicle to be full time 4WD or True AWD. Hence manufacturers use names like "On Demand", "Intelligent 4WD" etc. These are predominantly Front Wheel Drive with some capability to send power to the rear wheel. It is kind of like a Limited Slip Differential. Simlar to LSD, they cannot be engaged all the time, else the plates will wear out.

For the majority of people who never take SUVs off-road this systems is fine.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:12   #2465
BHPian

After reading non stop for last 2 days this thread updates are extremely eye opening.
Day 1 XUV500 unveiled - critics take down the design mercilessly
Day 1 mid afternoon prices revealed - The protagonists of XUV are out with praises and loads of appreciation
Day 2 a near tide of praises and booking takes over like a huge Hawaiian tide - all critics are washed out.
Day 3 and a few critics raise concerns on AWD/4WD and the third seat and softly the bumpers.

I do not know what future holds, but a strong part of me says, a lot of bookings may be cancelled after a TD by team BHP. Many hearts longing might turn mellow. How I wish a Review comes quickly. Frankly speaking even its a a lac more after a year, its good to wait and read a few ownership review before committing to a beast of that price.

-ves

1. Its hard to say its a MUV since 3rd bench cannot even take 2 people in comfort. One can try Ecco/Bolero at a much cheaper price for that.

2. 4WD/AWD is something which only time will say how good it stands. A good part of the electronics might give way even in slightly trying soft off-roads.

3. Monocoque design, significantly reduces the strength parameter when doing tough circuits. It would be interesting to see maintenance costs in case of minor accidents.

4. If its only for road presence and hugeness, then I have nothing to say.

+ves

1. Good equipment list

2. Good pricing

3. Good comfortable 5 seater for Indian roads which can do 160 KMs at ease (as far heard so far)

Just for equipment and good pricing, one cannot ignore the reason why a SUV is supposed to be bought.
droolingvoyager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:14   #2466
BHPian

Is the "On demand" AWD in the XUV worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Mahindra guy is clue less. Basically these systems use some sort of light duty system that cannot be engaged all the time, even to give 10% to rear.
Hence manufacturers use names like "On Demand", "Intelligent 4WD" etc. These are predominantly Front Wheel Drive with some capability to send power to the rear wheel. It is kind of like a Limited Slip Differential. Simlar to LSD, they cannot be engaged all the time, else the plates will wear out.
For the majority of people who never take SUVs off-road this systems is fine.
4x4 Addict,
Since my knowledge w.r.t. AWD/4x4 systems is grossly inadequate, seek your expertise on the worthiness of the AWD offered in the XUV.
Since I have booked the W8 AWD , I am keen to understand if its more of a marketing gimmick Vs actual proficiency of the system during an off roading stretch and /or ability to drive down to 'Leh / Ladhak'.
Is the money well spent?
cheers
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:26   #2467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyyo View Post
The chief desinger of Mahindra Cars is a woman !! ha ha.. no wonder.. oops ! i am not being a chauvinist here.. for all the lady BHPians.. my apologies.. but i cant help laughing..

check out more here..

Ramkripa Ananthan: Ruggedness of M&M's SUV XUV500 has feminine dash - The Economic Times
Not sure what's funny, or what's the pun about. Show respect, and better stick to the content.
scorp 1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:30   #2468
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@sidwadia:

I would definitely suggest going for the AWD. I never implied that it is a marketing gimmick. What I was saying that it is not full time 4WD/AWD vehicle like Pajero/Montero/Fortuner/TLC etc. But these kind of systems make perfect sense for the kind of situation you are describing. Combined with ETS the W8 offers great value.

I was only suggesting that they are misguiding consumers by calling it an AWD vehicle. The Audi Quanttro for example is AWD. Honda, Toyota etc calls these systems 4x4 and not AWD.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:57   #2469
Senior - BHPian

For all interested, the Overdrive 'First Drive' impressions:

Cheers!
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:03   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
No reason why 4wd lock info is an error.

Could be a system like in duster/xtrail/koleos where there are 3 modes -
2wd(always fwd),
4wd(fwd, but transfers power to 4 wheels when required)
4wd lock(always power delivered to all 4 wheels, but ratio based on situations)
If these features were available, why Mahindra wouldn't highlight them? Apparently none of the guys who have seen the car have found any control for this functionality.
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:07   #2471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_nv View Post
Booked W8 AWD in silver colour yesterday for my brother yesterday....
I was the last one to book it yesterday and my number was 145th in the que in Sterling motor Gurgaon.... If in gurgaon they have got 150 bookings on day one then I am sure NCR would have got 2000 bookings on day one...

Another Blockbuster in making from M&M Stable...
How did you get to know your number? I was told that i would get to know this in few days as Mahindra will call me directly and will also let me know the final on road price. Was the SA able to tell you this number or was it a wild guess from him. Please advice.
Oh by the way, Congrats
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:13   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
I just booked mine... same as yours Silver :-) you when i checked with SR he said ICE cant be fit later on same is integrated with console. Please advice.. how you are going to manage that?
I am not sure about the touch screen as of now but i am sure by the time i get the car, i would have "cracked" this suspense
As for the speakers etc, I alreday have Comps, Amps, wiring, and sub waiting in my home for the new car. I had bought all this way back in feb, now just need a car to fit it.
So what you can do as of now is that you can add the amp and speakers and later on when there is a "juggard" to replace or upgrade touchscreen then you can do that too.

Last edited by nitinralli : 2nd October 2011 at 20:13. Reason: Sorry mods forgot to double quote.
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:17   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Took a small test drive of it today....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRider View Post
Been to Silver Jubilee motors at Pune yesterday to take a look at the new brother my Scorp...
Any idea what the on road price [ex-showroom + road tax + registration + insurance + octroi + extended warranty] is in Pune?

Question to folks who have booked the XUV500 - What's the warranty, extended warranty and service schedule for the XUV500 like? Also, how much does the extended warranty cost?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 2nd October 2011 at 20:21.
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:23   #2474
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If these features were available, why Mahindra wouldn't highlight them? Apparently none of the guys who have seen the car have found any control for this functionality.
I am not saying that xuv has these features. I was replying to your comment that there might not lockable 4wd because this is an on demand system. So, I gave an example of renault-nissan suv where on demand awd can indeed come with lockable 4wd.
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:23   #2475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Any idea what the on road price [ex-showroom + road tax + registration + insurance + octroi + extended warranty] is in Pune?

Cheers,
Vikram
Approximates @ Pune :
~12.0 for W6
~13.8 for W8 2WD
~15.0 for W8 4WD
scorp 1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed