Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:24   #2476
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Question to folks who have booked the XUV500 - What's the warranty, extended warranty and service schedule for the XUV500 like? Also, how much does the extended warranty cost?

Cheers,
Vikram
I checked with the salesguys here in Bangalore. As of now they do not have any information on Warranty or extended warranty, Service intervals etc. As of now its only TD and booking. Guess we have to wait for some more time.
zteg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:29   #2477
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

saw it in flesh today, with the the luxury of all empty showroom due to holiday. Though no TD.

It looks good, good features

BUT, I think, I will wait for Merlin.
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:32   #2478
BHPian

Was promised a TD today, but to the large foot fall I guess the guys could not make time to get me one. This was my second trip to India garage near Palace grounds. When you look at it again there are some thing that I noted

1. Even though the GC is 200 when you look below the front bonnet the reach angle seems to be compromised I felt it was too low and might scrape a road hump. I did not get the stats but I was just eye observation.

2. In Gery it look very elegant, the white look sporty and Black is reserved and polished. There were no other colors on Display

3. Climb into the drivers seat and try to close the door you will start no notice how "plastic" things are. The door pockets are very plastic and do not seem to be in place for a 12 L car. Even the edges are not smooth. The Lounge effect lights felt like the first time I saw it, but now that you get used to see it, it seemed a irritant. I hope they have a way to switch it off if you do not need it.

4. The steering wheel feels nice, the controls on the steering a bit hard to press, may be its the demo display vehicle and might ease up in the production versions and also as you might start to use it.

5. The clock console it stylish, but I found them too deep, its like you have to peep into them to see the readings, the indicators are short and due to the dials placed in one another I felt the readability was compromised, like at high speeds when you glace into the speedo it might not event quickly as you have to look for a little stick coming out of the inner console. I would have preferred a wider and more readable console where the whole stalk is visible

6. Even though the engine is reated 140 bhp the speedo is calibrated to max 220. The Vento on the contrary which produces 30% less power and torque is calibreated 240. Whether you can reach that or not is different, but it talks a bit about what the car is expected to do. Does anybody know the max speed rating?

7. The 17" wheel looks very nice and with all discs on the wheels gives it a very mature and up market looks

8. From the front the car seems to be telling everyone around to notice it. The head light console looks nice and classy and the light combo with the LED looks very classy. On the Grey the combo on the parking lights was very classy need to check the style on rest of the colors

9. The false mesh blends into the body contours in the darker colors but in the While it was seems a bit out of place (to my taste it looks too gaudy)

10. In the driver seat everything is within arms reach and the water fall type console is very well designed. The numerous places to keep stuff might need you a manual to remember them'

11. The movement of the center arms rest could have been longer, but its at the right height. Its very wide (wider than the Innova) and both the front seat occupants can rest their arms on them without brushing each other

12. I loved all the gizmos and the utility things in accessible to the driver, especially a separate conversation mirror!

13. There are enough lights for every one in the car and do you not disturb one another when you want to read a book on a long drive (they are not very bright and I am not sure if you can really read a book)

14. The rear seat space a very good, leg room is fantastic, comparable to Safari. The rear vents on the doors seem tiny, but I could not seem them in action hence can't comment on its effectiveness

15. The seats are tight (may be the leather needs time to get soften up) and the back support quality is good. The reclining middle row is good

16. The center arm rest does not do good, the liner style does not provide enough cushion support and hence when you do not have bottles in them and just want to rest your hand you will feel the plastic and not the cushion. When you recline the seats the arm rest moves up like a cantilever, and you arm will be uncomfortable, bad design (or a design oversight)

17. The Third seat is strictly for kids only, does not offer enough head room for adults and the seat are most useful folded down. You can travel 7 in the city (say drive time less than 30 min)

The side stance is good, even the bar type handles are new and you will find them funny and nice to use them (its like opening your refrigerator).

My feeling at the end of the day was the following (note, with out TD only static experience)

Its not a really 7 use sable seats. Its a 5 seater for high ways and vacations and an occasional 7 seater for city drives. Safari in comparison looks looks 20 years dated. I am not sure if there will be any Innova guys shifting to XUV. Innova can comfortably seat 7 and still manage to carry some luggage. The comfort in the Innova seats are miles ahead. In my view they are apples - oranges. This segment (read affordable SUV to suit Indian conditions) where there for grabs. The scorpio tried to get it, but had its limitation, the XUV is more poised to do better.

Waiting for the TD.

More on that later!
Old 2nd October 2011, 22:04   #2479
BHPian

Hi all,
I booked the top end white xuv 500 on the first day only with the Sireesh Auto by paying a booking amount of Rs. 50k. I have also seen the reviews on all the auto shows such as Autocar, Car & Bike Show, Raftar, Overdrive etc., etc., but will not buy untill I read the Team BHP review particularly by GTO. So GTO please give us a review soon as possible

Does anybody got a concrete idea of when is the Auto Transmission variant about to be launched and how good is the present AT on the Scorpio.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2011 at 09:53. Reason: We will be releasing the official review soon
Old 2nd October 2011, 22:05   #2480
BHPian

Been to SJ Motors to view the xuv in flesh, I must say that I was excited to start with and eventually disappointed, I would not be upgrading my VLX to XUV anytime soon for sure.
- The xuv looks much better in real than in the photos, it is compact although has good road presence and it would be a head turner for sure.
- First time you see one in black you go WOW - no denying that. See the pics attached. Grey also looked good.
- The seating position feels lower as compared to scorpio, you have to climb into the scorpio whereas in xuv you could just get in without 'climbing' :-)
- Interiors are a world away from the scorpio, nice flowing lines and overall good quality (except for few plasticy bits), feels like upmarket sedan.
- The best part was the gear lever, so short and smooth, could shift into all positions without any efforts. For someone who got used to the slanting , feet long, dancing gear stick in scorpio the xuv gear lever is just generations ahead.
- Handbrake was very hard and bit awkword to enagage /disengage , required a lot of efforts, could be down to the positioning
- I was keen on third row legroom, there was hardly any, I think it is lesser than in Scorpio. 2 nd row has too much and you can not slide the 2 nd row seat so 3 rd was total disappointment.
- Hardly any boot with third row seats in place, see the pic. I am sure Scorpio has more usable boot space even with 3 rd of seats.
- The 2 nd row seats don't recline, checked with salesman he confirmed, I was gobsmacked, how can you not have reclianble 2 nd row ?
- Also when flat, the 3 rd row headrest gets wedged below 2 nd row seat back. You can not upright the 3 rd row seat without tilting/playing with 2 nd row. Similarly, with 2 nd row seat in place - the 3 rd row seat could not be folded flat. Head rest stuck against 2 nd row back. Please see the pics. I am so annoyed why can Mahindra engineers not try each and every permutation of adjustments to ensure that things just work and not get stuck/wedged against each other ? There is a similar problem in scorpio as well, with the driver handrest in place the gear knob nearly tocuhes the handrest in reverse gear .. almost.
- What I don't understand is if they redesigned the entire platform then why did they not think about making it a a bit longer to giver usable legroom at 3 rd seat (similar to xylo) and a usable boot ? I feel this was a opportunity wasted.

So, although I liked it I would not be trading in my VLX for sure, I am happy with my older Scorpio. I would probably wait for XUV 500 V2.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0335.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0336.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0338.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0339.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0340.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0341.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0342.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0345.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0350.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0348.jpg  

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 2nd October 2011 at 22:08.
ScorpWarp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 22:14   #2481
BHPian

This is the only advantage i am expetcting - Pricing factor for the luxury & Safety options in Indian auto sector will be rewritten by Force one & XUV 5OO entry. Do not want to compare about any other equivalent already exiting, Innova, Safari, Scorpio, Ford Endy & fortuner. But if i am listening about some price cuts, i wouldn't surprice
Old 2nd October 2011, 22:21   #2482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
- The 2 nd row seats don't recline, checked with salesman he confirmed, I was gobsmacked, how can you not have reclianble 2 nd row ?
Arre, how can this be? the car in which i sat, the 2nd row could be reclined! Others, please confirm. Infact, I remember that someone who sat before me in the 2nd row had reclined the seat so much that I could not sit in the 3rd row. Only after I took the seat back to its upright/normal position, I could manage in the 3rd row.

Quote:
- Also when flat, the 3 rd row headrest gets wedged below 2 nd row seat back. You can not upright the 3 rd row seat without tilting/playing with 2 nd row. Similarly, with 2 nd row seat in place - the 3 rd row seat could not be folded flat. Head rest stuck against 2 nd row back. Please see the pics.
This infact shows that, in that car, maybe the 2nd row was tilted more than necessary.
Old 2nd October 2011, 22:34   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Arre, how can this be? the car in which i sat, the 2nd row could be reclined! Others, please confirm. Infact, I remember that someone who sat before me in the 2nd row had reclined the seat so much that I could not sit in the 3rd row. Only after I took the seat back to its upright/normal position, I could manage in the 3rd row.

This infact shows that, in that car, maybe the 2nd row was tilted more than necessary.
Even I tried to recline the 2 nd row, I struggled a lot but could not, eventually checked with salesrep - he said you can not. Got the same feedback from 2 fellow viewers, so need some official confirmation on this.
Old 2nd October 2011, 22:57   #2484
Team-BHP Support

taking a close look

Today was XUV checking time. The aim was simple. Can this replace the safari and scorpio.
i really loved it, but unfortunately, it cannot replace safari and scorpio.

Reason is simple, its simply a softroader.
So if your idea of the toughest road you will do is manali leh highway, this thing is spot on, but anything more extreme, forget it.

Problem points
1. The mud flaps are suicide mud flaps, kind of like figo
2. Front overhand is a problem, and the fog lamp placement is such that its easy to wreck them
3. The engine guard is plastic, though thats not a very big problem

So any place which is rocky with overhang hitting stuff, its going to be a problem.

Now coming to the engine bay. Its very very tight. So tight that even changing a light bulb can be a daunting task.

Our main aim was to find out where is the air intake.
A pipe goes out from somewhere below the air filter to somewhere below the headlight.
Due to tight engine bay you cannot make out where it is.
So I feel its below the headlight, which is not a good thing.

With all these out of the say, as a soft roader, this vehicle is truly excellent.
Seating is great, better than the safari, so is the middle row which can be reclined. Only drawback is lack of under thigh support in middle row. The last row is kids only, but still its okay.
Lighting inside is excellent, and you even get a conversation mirror.

Another plus is the interiors. They look upmarket and have a soft feel to them. However, the chrome on the dashboard reflects in the windshield, which is a negative.

The switches on the steering wheel are clicky click, and not soft touch. Wonder how long they will last.

The telescopic steering can be adjusted up down, back forward, but to do that you have to have the strength of Dara Singh.
Gearshift is super light, but the clutch is a little hard.

Another interesting thing which viddy noticed is that the door handles are built in a way that both right handers and left handers can open it with ease.
Doors do not require effort to open, and everything looks well put together.

In the flesh its not so scary, however, it looks mythologically inspired. For example, in mythology you have creatures with the body of a lion and head of an eagle.
This has the head of a shark and the behind of the buffalo. But overall, it still manages to look great.

A low ratio, + better bumper design would have made it the perfect safari/scorpio replacement, but then, you cannot have the best of all the worlds!

All in all, I expect it to make a huge dent in safari sales, and even affect the scorpio and fortuner.

If this vehicle has quality problems sorted out, then its surely a winner. Mahindra has shaken the Indian market.
tsk1979 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:06   #2485
Team-BHP Support

Second row seats both left and right very much have recline feature. What is missed is the sliding feature to liberate more space to the 3rd row.

The 3rd row is not that bad. Me being a 6 footer could sit in reasonable comfort in the 3rd row with second row in upright position. My knees could not be straight but the seats were not cramped and headroom was decent. Actually I feel that the 3rd row is similar to 8 seater Innova.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:12   #2486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
Been to SJ Motors to view the xuv in flesh, I must say that I was excited to start with and eventually disappointed, I would not be upgrading my VLX to XUV anytime soon for sure.
The black XUV in your attachments have a completely different styled alloys as compared to the ones I have seen on the test vehicles on TV or on the mahindraxuv500.com site.

So are there options for alloys on the XUV500? The alloy wheels on the black one look stunning.
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:14   #2487
Senior - BHPian

I think the road tax for a 7-seater and 5-seater car may be different in a lot of places. Given that the XUV has virtually no boot space unless the 3rd row seats are folded, will Mahindra introduce a 5-seater version of the XUV? That way, people who don't really need the 3rd row could save some money on tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
6. Even though the engine is reated 140 bhp the speedo is calibrated to max 220. The Vento on the contrary which produces 30% less power and torque is calibreated 240. Whether you can reach that or not is different, but it talks a bit about what the car is expected to do. Does anybody know the max speed rating?
I don't understand the comparison with Vento. Have you considered that the XUV is probably twice as heavy as the Vento?

Last edited by StarrySky : 2nd October 2011 at 23:21. Reason: Added some text
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:33   #2488
BHPian

Had a very short TD of W8 without AWD at India Garage today. A few points.
  • Engine pulls well with full load from standstill, noticeably quicker off-the-block than Aria
  • Gearshift quality was ok, didn't feel any issue as mentioned in some earlier post
  • The red color of the ICE screen wasn't an issue in daytime driving. Hope it will not be an issue for night driving as well
  • Didn't do any highspeed corners, not much body roll worries
  • Steering was very light, felt like my i10! An EPS unit? Wonder how it weighs up at high speeds
  • Rear visibility with the stock inside RVM was bad. Infact I was seeing the rear passengers in it from all positions I tried (perhaps the separate conversation mirror is not really required )
  • The suspension setup felt quite soft (with good travel) at city speeds. Didn't get a chance to try it on Bangalore's infamous potholes. Would also like to see how it behaves at expressway speeds
  • Cabin height is actually much lesser than one might expect.
  • Space management inside is quite good and a sub 6ft family will find it very spacious. For a family with a few people above 6ft the spaciousness feel might come down quite a bit (comparing to my daily drive here...)
  • Overall a good VFM package at current prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
why is this compared to Merlin, isnt merlin just a facelift of current safari. So, it will be competing with scorpio and not xuv. Going by the spy pics, there seems to be no changes from a-pillar to the rear, although interiors will be different. There was a aria platform based suv rumored, that will be on xuv league. Only other option for tata is to reduce price of aria.
From the Merlin thread I understand it to be based on Aria chassis and gearbox, Dicor improvement (DMF) and brand new interiors, but the shell on the chassis is a facelifted one. So I would say it is a significantly improved safari and not just a facelift. I would also expect it to be in the same price-band as XUV.

Last edited by LobsterB : 2nd October 2011 at 23:51.
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:11   #2489
BHPian

Just got a mail from M&M on confirmation of booking and a link to track my order.

Sadly the site is not opening :(

Need to check again in morn, else would call the M&M customer care .
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:14   #2490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
The black XUV in your attachments have a completely different styled alloys as compared to the ones I have seen on the test vehicles on TV or on the mahindraxuv500.com site.

So are there options for alloys on the XUV500? The alloy wheels on the black one look stunning.
I was given a seperate brochure today on the accessories available, which also has a pic of the alloys figuring in the black xuv.

They havent got the pricelist yet.
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed