Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:19   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

On the AWD confusion, Autocar India's First Drive writeup says this:

The XUV is uses a full-time all-wheel drive system that detects wheelspin and directs torque to the wheels that have grip, so it feels quite secure around corners as well. That said, the XUV is no hardcore off-roader – there’s no low range transfer case, but it does have a differential lock and hill descent control for light off-roading duty on the four wheel drive version.

What sense does it make? How could it be a Full Time AWD when it operates on the principle of transferring torque from 2WD to 4WD on demand basis? But it does seem to convey that it cannot be a hard-core offroader if such a transfer case does exist and not a full-time AWD. The brochure statement on the same put up earlier also says something similar about intellgent transfer but it does not say Full Time AWD. It is damn confusing to me atleast.
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:29   #2492
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
How could it be a Full Time AWD when it operates on the principle of transferring torque from 2WD to 4WD on demand basis?
Do I read you right?

I think it says the transfer is - to pass on the control to the non-slippery wheels. So, why you mention that its changing from 2WD to 4WD ???

Do I miss something here?
Old 3rd October 2011, 02:26   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Does this have HID's on the projectors? As far as i have seen, it had norrmal yellow light coming from the projectors but the booklet says its HID's. Can anyone please confirm cause if its not, then i will have to get HId's for this for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
The black XUV in your attachments have a completely different styled alloys as compared to the ones I have seen on the test vehicles on TV or on the mahindraxuv500.com site.

So are there options for alloys on the XUV500? The alloy wheels on the black one look stunning.
The alloys you saw was the optional ones for W6. They are being provided by mahindra just to jazz up things for w6. Infact they look much better than whats on w8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Arre, how can this be? the car in which i sat, the 2nd row could be reclined! Others, please confirm.
Yes they do recline for sure as i did try it myself. so dont worry. Infact dont go by the sales rep, these guys didnt even knew that W6 have lumber support. I asked this to him and he siad NO, though i was able to find the knob and i confimed that it does have that. So please confirms things yourself than sales rep.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd October 2011 at 06:20. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 3rd October 2011, 02:42   #2494
BHPian

Saw XUV500 at Koncept Auto Ring Road Lajpat Nagar showroom this morning and due to Holiday and some construction work / painting going on in the showroom got a chance to see the vehicle in a very peaceful manner. There were 3 more people inside the showroom and a security guard. Only one vehicle was open so sat inside the XUV. The vehicle looks good and somewhat nice to me.Its altogether a different looking vehicle than whatever is present in the market. I liked the interiors which were in Beige & Dark Brown combination , nothing what Mahindra has offered till now but will appreciate if they improve the quality in due course of time.The multimedia system has got a remote control also. Overall a very muscular eye catching type of SUV which most of the people would love to own.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0307.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0315.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0313.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0311.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0308.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0309-2.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0310-2.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-imag0306.jpg  

puneetghai1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 04:39   #2495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
Grey also looked good.
WOW! Grey colour looks real good. The mesh inside the front bumper gels well with this colour. It appears the mesh is not black but Grey in colour.
White is by far the worst IMO.
Old 3rd October 2011, 07:12   #2496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
6. Even though the engine is reated 140 bhp the speedo is calibrated to max 220. The Vento on the contrary which produces 30% less power and torque is calibreated 240. Whether you can reach that or not is different, but it talks a bit about what the car is expected to do. Does anybody know the max speed rating?
The speedo calibration has got nothing to do with the power of the vehicle. For Ex: All lauras have their speedo till 240. Whereas a 150bhp cruze has it till 220.
I THINK its just the manufacturer's preference (parts sharing?). I THINK all Volkswagen group cars (under some limit of course) have it till 240.
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:32   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
The black XUV in your attachments have a completely different styled alloys as compared to the ones I have seen on the test vehicles on TV or on the mahindraxuv500.com site.

So are there options for alloys on the XUV500? The alloy wheels on the black one look stunning.
The ones that you see `different` are actually part of add on package costing approx 93K including roof carrier, chrome inserts, chrome side cladding, leatherette seat covers etc. It is aimed at upgrading W6. However these alloys look much sportier than the ones coming default with W8.
There is an option of not buying complete upgrade and buy selected components. Following which I cancelled my W8 in black and booked silver W6 , which looked stunning in full blown package. IMHO fabric seats are much better and more perforated than leather seat covers, hence another reason for going for W6. Also the screen isnt too big to be a charm and I cant recall any DVD I have seen on my JVC EXAD in my verna in last 2 yrs and hence its ok to live with non DVD display, so W6 with partial extended package makes lot of sense.
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:45   #2498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Does this have HID's on the projectors? As far as i have seen, it had norrmal yellow light coming from the projectors but the booklet says its HID's. Can anyone please confirm cause if its not, then i will have to get HId's for this for sure.
The low beam is HID projectors. The color temperature is on a warmer side, may be 3500 - 4000 Kelvin. I feel it will be better if you go for Hella after market headlights rather than fiddling with the original headlights as it involves some amount of electronics to activate the side beam while wheel turning more than 45 degrees.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 3rd October 2011 at 08:48.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:57   #2499
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Our official review will be up in some days. We've already driven the XUV500 on the day of the launch at Mahindra's test track. However, for a comprehensive Team-BHP review, we need to spend a lot more time with the vehicle to deeply understand it. We wouldn't want to review the XUV in a hurry, nor would we be willing to release a review that is short of the usual Team-BHP standards.

When our review is up, it will include everything you need to know about the XUV500. Please be patient, Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2011 at 09:59.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:11   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Our official review will be up in some days. We've already driven the XUV500 on the day of the launch at Mahindra's test track. However, for a comprehensive Team-BHP review, we need to spend a lot more time with the vehicle to deeply understand it. We wouldn't want to review the XUV in a hurry, nor would we be willing to release a review that is short of the usual Team-BHP standards.

When our review is up, it will include everything you need to know about the XUV500. Please be patient, Thanks
To help Bhpian's who have booked their XUV's, can you please at-least share the initial first impressions. This will go a long way in helping us decide whether to stick with the booking or cancel it.

Anybody got a call from MRC yet on their booking?

Last edited by LastActionHero : 3rd October 2011 at 10:13.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:20   #2501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Do I read you right?

I think it says the transfer is - to pass on the control to the non-slippery wheels. So, why you mention that its changing from 2WD to 4WD ???

Do I miss something here?
Yes you are reading it right. And this is not what I am saying, it is AS IT IS EXACTLY WRITTEN in the XUV500 brochure by Mahindra itself and later speculations given by ACI First Drive review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

Way to go sir. I applaud it heartily.
It does need a thourough review and I suspect Pandoras Box will be opened at the end of it. My personal request, pls do not post any indicators also as it may mislead people in their judgement of the vehicle. I am getting a feeling that it is going to be VFM Figo for this category all in all with all its Jazziness but something different under the skin.

Last edited by parsh : 3rd October 2011 at 10:26.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:20   #2502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

Dear GTO,
I have been following the XUV500 thread for a long time and apologies at the onset for being pushy, but could you please let us know the tentative date of the review getting posted? The day I read the review I intend to book (or not book) the XUV., advise on the tentative dates of review release. Thanks a lot, you are the best!
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:27   #2503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
The ones that you see `different` are actually part of add on package costing approx 93K including roof carrier, chrome inserts, chrome side cladding, leatherette seat covers etc. It is aimed at upgrading W6. However these alloys look much sportier than the ones coming default with W8.
There is an option of not buying complete upgrade and buy selected components. Following which I cancelled my W8 in black and booked silver W6 , which looked stunning in full blown package. IMHO fabric seats are much better and more perforated than leather seat covers, hence another reason for going for W6. Also the screen isnt too big to be a charm and I cant recall any DVD I have seen on my JVC EXAD in my verna in last 2 yrs and hence its ok to live with non DVD display, so W6 with partial extended package makes lot of sense.
Hi Pankaj, Though I agree with you partially on the DVD players et al not making much of sense and can be donw without, can you advise in detail on how the looks of the W6 with add ons sums up as a better buy than w8? I saw the Mahindra site and there are a number of things the W6 doesnt have, though for most city drivers things like Hill descent control and telescopic steering MAY not be of such big use. If you can help explain how the lower model can be made to look better than the standard accessories with which W8 comes, it will be great. This is a good observation, by the way, upgrading W6 with your choice of accessories to make it look more plum than factory fitted accessories.!
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:46   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
Even I tried to recline the 2 nd row, I struggled a lot but could not, eventually checked with salesrep - he said you can not. Got the same feedback from 2 fellow viewers, so need some official confirmation on this.
Aaah, the following posts clears all doubts, your sales executive was clueless -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Seating is great, better than the safari, so is the middle row which can be reclined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Yes they do recline for sure as i did try it myself. so dont worry. Infact dont go by the sales rep, these guys didnt even knew that W6 have lumber support. I asked this to him and he siad NO, though i was able to find the knob and i confimed that it does have that. So please confirms things yourself than sales rep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Second row seats both left and right very much have recline feature. What is missed is the sliding feature to liberate more space to the 3rd row.

The 3rd row is not that bad. Me being a 6 footer could sit in reasonable comfort in the 3rd row with second row in upright position. My knees could not be straight but the seats were not cramped and headroom was decent. Actually I feel that the 3rd row is similar to 8 seater Innova.
yes even I am 6'2" & was feeling okay in the 3rd row but I feel the 2nd row has more than necessary space & if it was on rails, some of this could have been utilized for the 3rd row as well.

Quote:

Yes, those are optional alloys for the XUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
The low beam is HID projectors. The color temperature is on a warmer side, may be 3500 - 4000 Kelvin. I feel it will be better if you go for Hella after market headlights rather than fiddling with the original headlights as it involves some amount of electronics to activate the side beam while wheel turning more than 45 degrees.
Are you sure those are HIDs? I felt they are normal halogens!!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 3rd October 2011 at 10:51.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:52   #2505
BHPian

For all bhpians wanting to know where those "cuts" in the fender came from, here's an article:

Ramkripa Ananthan: Ruggedness of M&M's SUV XUV500 has feminine dash - The Economic Times
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks