Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:57   #2506
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When our review is up, it will include everything you need to know about the XUV500. Please be patient, Thanks
Glad to read this! Looking forward to the complete review.

It's amazing how the limelight from the Honda Brio launch and the Hyundai Eon have been totally eclipsed by this terrific product from Mahindra.

Hope this pricing stategy brings some sense to other manufacturers as well, who otherwise charge a premium for their cars & SUVs'.
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:17   #2507
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

On the aspect of the middle row not being slidable, could it be because the seat (40% split seat) has to flip forward to enable getting in to the last row. Even then it should be possible to achieve the slide thing but could make it more complex.
The handbrake is tilted towards the driver as can be seen in one of the pictures above. Someone also mentioned that it is a clever thought. But I wanted to point out that the most natural way to grip the handle is when it is in parallel to the body. It it is tilted towards the driver, the arm twists and the elbows turns towards the co-passenger. Ergonomically this is not right.
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:50   #2508
BHPian

When xuv500 coming in GUJRAT to dealers? any idea?
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:53   #2509
BHPian

I've really lost respect for a lot of these automotive journalists, most of them talk about DRL's on this vehicle, I cannot find a single piece of evidence that the LED's are DRL.

the XUV brochure mentions them as LED Parking Lamps.

I've circled the same in the following:
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-drl-parking-lamps.png  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-drl-parking-lamps2.png  

Old 3rd October 2011, 12:00   #2510
Senior - BHPian

^
LED Parking lights are more practical in India then all time running lights and it just means that you get an on/off switch to turn them on.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:03   #2511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

Our official review will be up in some days. We've already driven the XUV500 on the day of the launch at Mahindra's test track. However, for a comprehensive Team-BHP review, we need to spend a lot more time with the vehicle to deeply understand it.
GTO - We know that this is going to be a very detailed review. We also 'trust' the team-bhp reviews more than any other forum because we have seen very objective reviews in the past. However, it might be good to break the reviews into two parts - 'First Impressions' followed by a 'Detailed Review'. This would give the prospective buyers a sense of the vehicle as soon as the vehicle is launched.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:09   #2512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
LED Parking lights are more practical in India then all time running lights and it just means that you get an on/off switch to turn them on.
Daytime Running Lights can be switched on and off in most cars. For Laura/Superb pull the headlamp stalk towards you while sliding it down, hold it for some time until you hear the beep.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:12   #2513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
Hi Pankaj, Though I agree with you partially on the DVD players et al not making much of sense and can be donw without, can you advise in detail on how the looks of the W6 with add ons sums up as a better buy than w8? I saw the Mahindra site and there are a number of things the W6 doesnt have, though for most city drivers things like Hill descent control and telescopic steering MAY not be of such big use. If you can help explain how the lower model can be made to look better than the standard accessories with which W8 comes, it will be great. This is a good observation, by the way, upgrading W6 with your choice of accessories to make it look more plum than factory fitted accessories.!

Let me 1st begin with things you wont get in W6
Tryetronics ----- no big deal
Hill descent/hold ---- why do i need it in city driving and without it I have been doing pretty decent driving on yhe hills in lesser powered vehicles
Leather seats - too hot is summers when you enter car in parking under the scorching sun, would make your pants sweat moment you sit on them.
On the other hand perforated fabric is my choice and it looks prettier too,
can get a dryclean job every 6-8 months. I know a guy who does it amazing stripping down the seats and the carpet right down to the car floor.
extra airbags - May Almighty Bless that I don`t even need front 2 to inflate!.
Alloy wheels-
the ones in accessory are much better than stock w8
ESP - hmm are even people aware of it ( beyond EBD which comes with W6). Tell me last time it did make a difference for you, or how does its absence hurt?
DVD-
as pointed earlier, its livable ( GPS can be bought in the accessory kit)

Now I save approximately 1.20Lac, and the accessory kit is for 93K even out of which i don`t need everything (like leatherette cover etc.)
Now to the point of what should be included,
1. Sporty Alloys around 30-35k
2. Chrome Inserts around lights
3. Chrome cladding on 4 doors, also protects from door impacts in parking.
4. Roof carrier ( esp. gives solid presence and character in SILVER color vehicle, almost a must for those opting for SILVER )
5. The door step bar is absolutely optional and may differ according to taste. I personally feel it limits side ground clearance beneath the doors and SANS it car looks more sporty with unobstructed visible GC
So, above 1to 4 accessories would make a W6 look more sexier than W8 while saving approx 70K IMHO
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:38   #2514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediafan View Post
GTO - We know that this is going to be a very detailed review. We also 'trust' the team-bhp reviews more than any other forum because we have seen very objective reviews in the past. However, it might be good to break the reviews into two parts - 'First Impressions' followed by a 'Detailed Review'. This would give the prospective buyers a sense of the vehicle as soon as the vehicle is launched.
First impressions were posted by GTO some pages back: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2525547

Last edited by _raVan_ : 3rd October 2011 at 12:40.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:41   #2515
Senior - BHPian

I had the opportunity to visit the Safdurjung dealership over the weekend in order to check out the car and some thoughts

Dealership

1. Friendly and polite staff but were not entirely aware of the car and its features
2. No clarity on TD vehicle being available but projected for end of this week

Car Exterior

1. No arguments on the exterior styling , it looks gorgeous

2. The door handles while very unconventional are fine in my opinion. They are ‘paw’ inspired and liking disliking them will be personal

3. I was happy to note that from the rear the car looks quite broad and flat - I was apprehensive whether it would be a bit like the xylo – a bit too tall looking for me but this one squats better

Car Interior

1. I like the interiors of the car and I don’t think there is anything major to complain about in terms of plastics

2. The LCD screen in my opinion is a bit small for the size for the center console , a 10 inch would have looked perfect

3. The handbrake was a bit of a project. While the location is fine it took me about 4-5 attempts post engaging it to put it down again – a combination of timing and brute strength but could have been that particular model

4. The compartment about the glove box – the push and open lever was not working well and even the S had to push it 3 times before it came up

5. What I don’t like is the quality of the arm rest – the top is ok , but there are 2 storage compartments within it and the first one honestly has the build feel of thermocol. When I lifted the arm rest the compartment also came along despite it supposing to stay in place. The bottom half which is cooled was fine but overall the piece was not very pleasing.

6. Oodles of space in the middle row but the final row is best for kids/small adults.

7. The SE was unable to get the key so was not able to review certain features such as the mood lighting , instrumentation console etc

All in all looked pretty good. TD as mentioned was not available.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:42   #2516
BHPian

Booked a Tuscan Red W8 FWD today at SKS Auto, Bannerghatta Road after a test drive.

My impressions (beyond what has already been stated numerous times by other members)

1) The infotainment system is nice but you cannot see the screen clearly in the day. Tried to see if there was a brightness adjustment option but couldn't find it.
2) The Blue Sense car kit picked up my phone quickly enough, but it couldn't load my contacts for some reason.
3) Music system was passable, nothing mind blowing but will do the job just fine for a normal ear.
4) The tilt adjustment range for the steering isn't too high (you can only adjust it up or down to a certain level).
5) The ergonomics in the front was good (I'm 5'11), and with the seat fully raised, I could see a fair bit of the front end and my head wasn't touching the roof or anything.
6) The gear box isn't Japanese 'box slick, but it's not as bad as a Tata 'box.
7) Some engine noise filtered through into the cabin, but it was completely tolerable.
8) The engine had decent punch in it.
9) The MID was showing an average mileage of 8.3 kmpl with the air-con on, and 560 kms to empty.. (Don't know whether this is significant, just felt I should mention it).
10) It handled well during the TD, and I really didn't feel the size of the car as such in tight situations and narrow roads.
11) While being driven around, I felt the rear seats did not have too much thigh support, and I kept slipping downwards on the plastic wrapping (brand new car, 2nd one to TD it from this showroom)

Back in the showroom, one gentleman mentioned he got a mail from Mahindra which said the tentative delivery would be on 5th November (he booked on Friday). The showroom guys were talking about an 8 week waiting period, in which case I'd prefer taking delivery in the new year.

Will post more if I've forgotten anything.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:43   #2517
Senior - BHPian

Gear stick and HandBrake

Gear stick and HandBrake positions seem a little awkward.

The Handbrake is tilted towards the driver, seems to nearly touch the driver seat, but it doesn't, still feels quite closer to you and maybe a little father would have helped for handling.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070901.jpg

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070911.jpg

The handbrake handling felt to be a bit problematic due to the nagging armrest, the armrest also slides freely back and forth and felt it more problematic if it slides foward complettely.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070912.jpg

The gear stick when used feels pretty low lying but with assured grip and shifting.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070913.jpg
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:48   #2518
BHPian

When our review is up, it will include everything you need to know about the XUV500. Please be patient, Thanks[/quote]

We will surely wait for the detailed TeamBHP review... that would give us the most unbiased, detailed report on this new kid on the block. Thanks GTO
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:49   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Let me 1st begin with things you wont get in W6
[
ESP - hmm are even people aware of it ( beyond EBD which comes with W6). Tell me last time it did make a difference for you, or how does its absence hurt?[b]
Apparently ESP can make a huge difference especially for SUVs with their high centre of gravity, and the US regulator has mandated it. Data shows it prevents rollovers pretty effectively and gives control in extreme situations - see link

ESP Stability Control to be Mandated for All Cars
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:50   #2520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB
Had a very short TD of W8 without AWD at India Garage today. A few points.

[*] Engine pulls well with full load from standstill, noticeably quicker off-the-block than Aria
W8 without awd should be lighter and hence may be more peppy. But I don't see weight written separately for 3 variants. Same for aria, they have not written different gross weight for 4x2 and 4x4 variants. Not sure why?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks