Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:53   #2521
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think the road tax for a 7-seater and 5-seater car may be different in a lot of places. Given that the XUV has virtually no boot space unless the 3rd row seats are folded, will Mahindra introduce a 5-seater version of the XUV? That way, people who don't really need the 3rd row could save some money on tax.

I don't understand the comparison with Vento. Have you considered that the XUV is probably twice as heavy as the Vento?
Yes. I am talking about the top speed rating and the ability to be stable at top speeds. A bigger (read high torque) and better tuned (read the new mHawk) engine is capable of pushing and maintaining a good top speed (read in excess or 150 kmph) provided the dynamics of the car allow it to do so.

Dynamics can mean many things for instance the wheel base, kerb weight, the wheel size, suspension type and tuning, width etc (and a combination of all these). For instance the Honda city which is 118 bhp and ~ 150 Nm Torque is not as stable as the Laura (the 100 bhp version) at speeds of 150 - 170 (I have driven both at the same speeds for over 300 kms).

I wanted to know if the XUV is capable of harnessing the mill under the hood to a good extent.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:56   #2522
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediafan View Post
GTO - We know that this is going to be a very detailed review. We also 'trust' the team-bhp reviews more than any other forum because we have seen very objective reviews in the past. However, it might be good to break the reviews into two parts - 'First Impressions' followed by a 'Detailed Review'. This would give the prospective buyers a sense of the vehicle as soon as the vehicle is launched.
Agree! This wait for the review is killing me :-) . Can't live without knowing what you guys have to say about it...bring it on please!
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:57   #2523
BHPian

Test drove the xuv in Navi Mumbai yesterday.

Before going on, i should admit that i am a complete rookie as far as SUVs or MUVs are concerned. After a near fatal experience with a bolero, a country dog, and the not-so-friendly roadside ditch, was always wary of mahindra vehicles.

Exteriors are impressive to say the least. Interiors too impress, but you know that its almost there, but not quite there. For example, there are these damped releases for all glove boxes, but the springs hesitate a bit, the actions are not consistant etc. But, the interiors are impressive, and i did not find the black/purple combination too gaudy. Was quite comfortable and impressed with the set up.

Space is aplenty. Saw a family of three - mom, dad & kid fit into the third row. They were like - its ok for city journeys.

Drive - The bobbiness is still there - I felt a certain horizontal motion. I am not sure if all M/SUV's behave like this. Took the car to 110-120 types in 3rd. It pulls like anything. Gears are easy - not necessary precise or smooth as butter, but easy. Steering felt good. Every time i braked, felt like the tyres were screeching. Did not understand why it was so.

So, coming from an ANHC - did i find sedan like handling - No! (I know i should not expect that also)
From the passenger perspective - Is the innova more comfortable in terms of ride - I guess so.
But, am i an expert to make a comparo with other SUVs/MUVs - Absolutely not.
But, does the XUV pull my heart strings - Absolutely yeah!

P.S - Whats truly impressive is the way in which the dealership is handling the mob. There are numbers given to every test drive customer. They go as per the number. Three to four vehicles for the test drive (Nissan Sunny & Honda Brio - One or two weeks after launch. Not even one test drive vehicles?). Enough display vehicles. Good hospitality. Am impressed. The staff said more than 200 vehicles were book in 2 days.
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:01   #2524
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

Our official review will be up in some days. We've already driven the XUV500 on the day of the launch at Mahindra's test track. However, for a comprehensive Team-BHP review, we need to spend a lot more time with the vehicle to deeply understand it. We wouldn't want to review the XUV in a hurry, nor would we be willing to release a review that is short of the usual Team-BHP standards.

When our review is up, it will include everything you need to know about the XUV500. Please be patient, Thanks
GTO... Patiently waiting for the review before posting here. Please also include rpm at 100 kmph.
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:08   #2525
Senior - BHPian

A great effort by M&M the over looks and design of the car are quiet non Mahindra for once (discounting the brute looks of the Scorpio).

A great pricing strategy, but sure to eat into the Scorpio pie.

Waiting for a TD to see if I can remove the Fortuner next aim from my mind.
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:24   #2526
BHPian

Happened to see the demo vehicle on the road and must say the pictures do not do it justice. Was blown away by the looks of what little we go to see. Got to see only the back and side profile as it was accelerating. But appeared to be in a different league from other M&M vehicles.
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:46   #2527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
When xuv500 coming in GUJRAT to dealers? any idea?
Neo, I heard sometime in Jan 2012... (any way i will be there in surat by Nov 1 or 2 week with this car if you want you can have a look)
Tushargohil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:15   #2528
BHPian

I guess the initial sticker shock (albeit in the opposite) is finally coming down in this thread. We are finally getting some posts on the not so practicalities of the vehicle. I am sure there will be many but the price had pretty much blinded us all.

I really do not expect Mahindra to do something that even the Tatas can't, i.e. Deliver a niggle free vehicle.

I just hope they have improved substantially so that a normal buyer can be rest assured that the reliability is there, maybe not as high as the Japs but at least near the Amreekis.

Somehow, I get an indication of a lot of Chinese bling and that maybe not really good in the long run.

I guess will need to read thru the Scorpio threads to see how the Scorpio ages. This may follow a similar chart.

Eagerly waiting for GTO's review to get a final and proper perspective on the vehicle.

Cheers
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:21   #2529
Senior - BHPian

The Times Now, XUV500 test drive report!

anekho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:50   #2530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Wondering why Sireesh is charging this additional Std fitment. India Garage is not charging this.
Check previous posts for more details
Called them up asking about the Std Fitment charges and he mentioned that its just recommended accessories that they are charging for. If a buyer does not want those accessories they would remove them. These include Alloy wheels and etc, which is not there on the high end as it already has alloys.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:06   #2531
Senior - BHPian

Accessories package price list:

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070947.jpg
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:00   #2532
BHPian

Just saw the car in person, the plumb and black interiors are not at all to my liking, beige interiors are much better. Just to clarify upon some ongoing confusions, the 2nd row seats are adjustable.
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:03   #2533
BHPian

How does the Alloy wheel price stack up against after market prices?
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:25   #2534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
A great pricing strategy, but sure to eat into the Scorpio pie.
You bet. A colleague of mine had booked a Scorpio VLX 4WD more than a month back but the delivery kept getting delayed for one reason or the other. He had been following the XUV launch pretty closely and was at the showroom for a TD the day it was available. Guess what - as soon as he was done with the TD, he canceled the booking for the Scorp and booked a W8 AWD instead, despite having to shell out another 1.5 lakh or so. I am not surprised that the dealer obliged without an iota of resistance

P.S. - Waiting period as committed to him is 8 weeks.
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:27   #2535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
How does the Alloy wheel price stack up against after market prices?
Rs.35,500 is overkill. You'll get a set of 5 after market alloys for a maximum of 25k [without bargaining] easily! Plus there's a lot more variety out there!

Cheers,
Vikram
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks