Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:01   #2566
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-drive View Post
Raj
Can you help understand further ? Why do they need a sunlight sensor for A/C ? It can be a hot and humid night.

IMHO, this can be a sensor for Auto Lights, GPS receiver etc. But not confirmed. Will have to remember to ask as and when I visit the showroom again.
Two way control of A/C 1) set temperature through a/c control
2) sun light sensor - this will put the blower speed and the compressor in max full load mode for rapid canin cooling.

I had it in my ealier mitsubishi gallant which was so effective, that even while cruising at 140 on highway if the car experiences sunlight cut due to shadow caused by a passing small flyover for a fraction of a second the FATC blower will slow the speed. useful gizmo.

Just thought what will be the scenenario if Chevrolet India decides to assemble Captiva as CKD or to produce in India for sure this move from by chevy will bring the Captiva's price significantly which is now sold as CBU @ 18.5L for 4x2 and 20L for AWD.

Last edited by harimakesh : 3rd October 2011 at 23:12.
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:11   #2567
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
That is indeed cool. Wish I had looked at the light stalk and snapped it.

Sorry if this is getting too stretched. But I am thinking why the sensors could not be put inside the headlamps cluster (2 synched ones) so that they would have actully detected the luminosity on the road with the actual driving condition ahead on road and turned on the HLs more accurately.
That would never work! Imagine driving at night with the trucks and other idiotic cars with highbeams. The sensors on the headlight would think there was enough light and would turn off the headlights.

This is the most optimum position as they need to be a simple setup. You don't want the lights to keep going on and off while driving.

This feature is actually there for some other countries which impose fines if you forget to turn on your lights. With this feature you can leave the stalk in that position at all times. Even when you remove the key the lights will turn off automatically.

In my Altis I can't remember the last time I turned that stalk. It's always been in auto position.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd October 2011 at 23:13.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:30   #2568

@harimakesh : you are right !
Apologies, if it’s stretching a bit. It’s better to have right information. It’s not very advanced feature. Any car with climate control has two sensors one to detect the sun-load and one to detect the cabin temperature and then it makes the necessary adjustments if it’s in auto mode. Beat for example does not have auto-lamp function but it does have the same sensor because it comes with climate control.

there is no such sensor on scorpio and it comes with auto lamp function.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-beat_sensor.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th October 2011 at 00:01. Reason: Removing [Font] tag, avoid copy pasting from external font editor. Also do a Preview before posting. Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:32   #2569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Having a heatload sensor means the climate control system has to be much more advanced and would need a heatload sensor on all 4 corners. Yes the Leaf may have it and so do Audis and BMW's but definitely not on this car.
Since LEAF being a fully electric car, the operation of AC impacts the range you get for the car. Main focus is to increase the range. So LEAF uses a sensor to detect sunlight and adjust the power of Automatic Climate Control to save the battery. In a hot noon, you dont want to deplete the battery running the A/C at full speed. Normal automatic Climate control systems do not require this and logic will be totally based on temp sensors, not on the availability of sunlight.
I do not think XUV500 needs this kind of system.

Last edited by teamveevee : 3rd October 2011 at 23:34.
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:39   #2570
BHPian

WoW! I just realized that this thread crossed 1 million views... what a great demand for VFM SUV in India which no MNC realized so far.
Good move by M&M.
niv26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 00:01   #2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Since LEAF being a fully electric car, the operation of AC impacts the range you get for the car. Main focus is to increase the range. So LEAF uses a sensor to detect sunlight.. .
My bad i should have not used leaf example ... pls look at chevy beat dash caefully you will find similar sensor because it comes with climate control and btw it does not have auto lamp function. similarly you will not find same sensor in scorpio because it does not have climate control eventhough it has auto lamp function.
Old 4th October 2011, 00:09   #2572
Team-BHP Support

Actually Silhouette that's pretty much a dummy sensor in the Beat with no real function.

If as you say it's the sunlight sensor then where is the auto headlamp light sensor?

I've personally tested that dome shaped sensor in my Altis and have confirmed that it's the light sensor. My Altis has climate control and auto headlamps but no sunlight sensor for the climate control.
Old 4th October 2011, 00:09   #2573

Need help consolidating the list of available Colors/Interiors, per model. The interiors I've seen are: W8 (4X2): Beige and Walnut and W6: Black and Plum.
This fine a level of information is not in their catalog. So far, from this forum and from what I've seen on the site and spoken to the dealer about, it appears to be following:
  • Volcano Black: available in W8 with Beige/Walnut interiors. Also available in W6 with Beige/Walnut interiors.
  • Moondust Silver: available in W6 only, with Black/Plum interiors. Not available in W8.
  • Satin White: available in W8 with Beige/Walnut interiors. Any others?
  • Which other combinations?
Old 4th October 2011, 01:54   #2574
BHPian

So that is a sunlight sensor!! I saw a similar 'thing' on the dash of a top end Nissan Pathfinder, & the owner told me its the antenna for the navigation system.
Old 4th October 2011, 01:55   #2575

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuli
The Mahindra dealer says that if one prefers W8 in Beige and Walnut interiors, then the exterior color options are restricted to Volcano Black and Satin White at the moment. Has anyone heard otherwise?
You are correct about this information. Interiors change with body color..personally would prefer an all black interiors!
Old 4th October 2011, 02:58   #2576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Actually Silhouette that's pretty much a dummy sensor in the Beat with no real function.

If as you say it's the sunlight sensor then where is the auto headlamp light sensor?

I've personally tested that dome shaped sensor in my Altis and have confirmed that it's the light sensor. My Altis has climate control and auto headlamps but no sunlight sensor for the climate control.
My Infiniti G35 has similar sensor on driver side, manual says its for auto headlamp. Please see the pic below.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-auto-light.jpg

On passenger side, there is sensor for climate control. Please see below

Name:  acc.bmp
Views: 3112
Size:  954.4 KB

Both the pic with explanation is from user guide.

Last edited by chevelle : 4th October 2011 at 03:03.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 06:24   #2577
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes I tend to agree. these beige interiors are very irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priyan View Post
You are correct about this information. Interiors change with body color..personally would prefer an all black interiors!
Old 4th October 2011, 08:42   #2578
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi All,

Sharing this very detailed coverage which I found on Motoroids, explaining the various features, with Pics.

Mahindra XUV500: All the features explained through pics
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 09:09   #2579
BHPian

Thanks for sharing that link Behemoth. I am glad it talks about the USB port to update the MapMyIndia (didn't know this was the maps provider either) maps.
I had asked the guy at the the dealership about updating maps and he wasn't able to answer the question. I had to explain to him why the maps need to be updated from time to time and he still seem convinced that its actually needed. He instead described how you need a laptop to run diagnostics.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:49   #2580
BHPian

"The screw to lower the spare wheel located below the car. Tyre monitoring system on the XUV500 keeps a check on spare tyre’s pressure as well. Amazing, isn’t it?"

Way to go Mahindra....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks