Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 17:16   #2611
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post
XUV500 vs Aria vs Endeavour vs Fortuner comparison (source dws auto )
Mahindra XUV500 snapshot: Performance, features, safety and value for money evaluation of Mahindra XUV500 SUV in India | DWS Auto India

Attachment 821192

I am really concerned about the specs highlighted in red circle, because as per my information
GC - 210 mm
Kerb Weight is 1750 kg

how reliable is dws auto information ?
As per the mahindra xuv5oo portal, the GC is 200mm though the kerb weight is not mentioned.

Obviously, info on the manufacturer portal is more accurate

Last edited by 2500cc : 4th October 2011 at 17:18.
Old 4th October 2011, 17:38   #2612
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

I just went and did a personal physical comparo in size between the Scorp and the XUV.
I made the showroom chap park the Scorpio right next to the XUV with their noses aligned.
I thought this might be the best way to judge the overall size impression vehicle for vehicle.

The XUV is definitely longer and wider and this may even seem a bit exaggerated because it is reasonably shorter in height than the Scorp.

But the Scorp definitely seems much easier to buzz around the city in, than the XUV.
Because of its boxy styling, the Scorp tends to make its presence felt.

The XUV certainly looks aggressive enough to make its presence felt, but I feel that its inherent width and extra length can be a bit of a pain in a crowded, two wheeler and auto infested city like Bangalore. Also there is the issue of parking. The Scorp somehow one can squeeze in here and there. Plus I would not worry about lightly bumping the Scorp as much as I would with the XUV.

I would also be concerned about scratching the XUV on the crowded roads of Bangalore where its a free for all most of the time. Somehow the Scorp simply seems tougher overall and capable of taking a bit more of a beating in our daily use conditions.

However, I shall drive the XUV in a day or two and post my impressions.

That said, my wife and I both feel that it is too large for the two of us and hence, may not consider the XUV as of now. In our case the last 2 seats may end up permanently folded flat on the floor since we do not foresee the need for a 7 seater at all, under our circumstances. With these last 2 seats folded down, its luggage space will be a real luxury though and one can really travel first class.

nuff said for the moment. more later.
Old 4th October 2011, 17:47   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I just went and did a personal physical comparo in size between the Scorp and the XUV.
I made the showroom chap park the Scorpio right next to the XUV with their noses aligned.
I thought this might be the best way to judge the overall size impression vehicle for vehicle.

The XUV is definitely longer and wider and this may even seem a bit exaggerated because it is reasonably shorter in height than the Scorp.

But the Scorp definitely seems much easier to buzz around the city in, than the XUV.

The XUV certainly looks aggressive enough to make its presence felt, but I feel that its inherent width and extra length can be a bit of a pain in a crowded, two wheeler and auto infested city like Bangalore. Also there is the issue of parking. The Scorp somehow one can squeeze in here and there. Plus I would not worry about lightly bumping the Scorp as much as I would with the XUV.

I would also be concerned about scratching the XUV on the crowded roads of Bangalore where its a free for all most of the time. Somehow the Scorp simply seems tougher overall and capable of taking a bit more of a beating in our daily use conditions.

That said, my wife and I both feel that it is too large for the two of us and hence, may not consider the XUV as of now. In our case the last 2 seats may end up permanently folded flat on the floor since we do not foresee the need for a 7 seater at all, under our circumstances. With these last 2 seats folded down, its luggage space will be a real luxury though and one can really travel first class.

But where are the pics? It'll be awesome to see both of them standing together.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 17:53   #2614
BHPian

Just came back from Silver Jubilee motors, Pune. There is a mela on there.

Was impressed with the vehicle. The fit and finish is like no other M&M vehicle.

First impressions:
  • Looks great (Though many here seem to disagree). I really liked the first looks of the vehicle. The headlights are stunning.
  • Loads of features.
  • Interior lighting is great. Individual reading lamps are very nice.
  • The chiller compartment is a nice feature. Especially on long drives.
  • The center console looks funky. The gears felt nice to slot. (BTW, is six gears better than five?)
  • The driver seating position felt comfortable. Just that I thought the head room could have been a tad more.
  • Quite a premium feel to interiors.
  • Overall had a great appeal to it. It kind of makes you want to buy this vehicle. Must admit that the price plays really hard on your mind.
A few things that did not seem all that nice:
  • Second row seating. While the leg-room is fantastic, the thigh support is lacking.
  • Second row center seat is quite uncomfortable. The drop down arm rest is not very good on the back
  • Last row seating. (Does not exist). Better to keep those seats folded and think of this as a five seater. (Or a four seater, considering the above point)
  • Boot space (Again, does not exist). Unless the last row is folded. The showroom had locked the back door. Maybe to hide the obvious fact that there is no boot space if the the last row is up
  • Gives a little claustrophobic feeling seating in almost all rows; most in the last row. Not sure why. Maybe because of the window shape? Or maybe because I thought that the headroom for all seats is less. I got this feeling when seating in the back seat of the Swift as well.
Apart from the above, did not find anything way off in the vehicle. Though the not-so-nice list seems longer than the nice list above, I must say that honestly the nice features are a lot more than that. Overall liked the vehicle. Asked about the delivery period and the sales guy says anything from 5 to 6 months. Because he says they have made 300+ bookings in three days. Only from this showroom.

While we were there, quickly went in and did a compare with the Scorpio & Xylo. The space in both these is far far better than the XUV5OO. There is absolutely no doubts about it. But in the look & feel sector the XUV is miles ahead. I still felt that the Scorpio has a very mature look to it. Maybe that is just me then!

On the way back, stopped over at the Force showroom on Mumbai-Bangalore highway. They had the Force One on display.

Again did a quick compare:
  • Space is the best in Force One. The last row legroom is fantastic. And inspte of the last row being down the boot space is very good. In terms of space I would say (1) Force One (2) Xylo (3) Scorpio and (4) XUV5OO
  • The thigh support on second row seats is great in Force One. Again I would rate (1) Force One (2) Scorpio (3) Xylo (4) XUV5OO. Force One gave a real luxurious feel to seating on the second row. It will be good long drive vehicle for the passengers
  • Even the interiors on the Force One were good. Though did not come out as premium as the XUV5OO, it was still pretty good. The clutch felt very hard, but the salesman explained that this is a hydralic clutch and thus feel better once the engine is switched on (?) Not sure about this.
Asked about the delivery period and our sales chappy says 2 months. He says they have made 80 bookings. Compare that to the XUV and we see who is eating the market at the moment!

I liked both the vehicles i.e. the Force One and the XUV. Still figuring out, if I need to choose one of the two then would I choose the more funkier and cooler XUV5OO or the more spacious and practical Force One.

Am looking forward to the official TBHP review soon. For both the vehicles.
ptushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 18:04   #2615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Just came back from Silver Jubilee motors, Pune. There is a mela on there.

I liked both the vehicles i.e. the Force One and the XUV. Still figuring out, if I need to choose one of the two then would I choose the more funkier and cooler XUV5OO or the more spacious and practical Force One.

Am looking forward to the official TBHP review soon. For both the vehicles.
I respect your view mate. Every person has his own definition for PRACTICALITY.

But since you are putting down your hard earned money, let me tell you one thing. F1 may be more roomier and luxurious, but with the same money you will get XUV which is more safer (ABS, Airbags, ESP, etc.,)
Old 4th October 2011, 18:09   #2616
BHPian

Quote:

... In our case the last 2 seats may end up permanently folded flat on the floor since we do not foresee the need for a 7 seater at all, under our circumstances. With these last 2 seats folded down, its luggage space will be a real luxury though and one can really travel first class.

Keeping the 3rd row down is something I would do too, if I had to buy this car. But, problem is that anything kept in the back would be visible to one and all - I guess one could not keep a laptop bag in here and go off to do something. Unless willing to take the risk of coming back to find a broken window and a missing laptop!

If it were planned as a 5 seater, then probably they would have put in a parcel tray which would have solved the above problem.

I know there is a cubby-hole to store a laptop in, but I doubt if the laptop bag would fit in there? And who roams around with a laptop and no laptop bag?

Last edited by Fusion2006 : 4th October 2011 at 18:11.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:10   #2617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Shankar sorry to say but it looks like your trying to justify not picking up the XUV500 and defending the Scorp and it's not really working.

Sorry but the XUV is not at all large. The length of the XUV is exactly the same as the Altis which is a breeze to drive in traffic. The width is a little more than the Altis but that's really not a concern as with the Altis you can't really squeeze either.

I havent experience 2 wheelers scratching or too much parking difficulties with the Altis.

Infact the Toyota Innova is longer than the XUV and Altis and that doesn't have issues in driving in bangalore traffic.

The XUV being more imposing than the Innova and Altis should be way easier to drive. The monocque contruction will give the XUV a car like feel which will be way easier in traffic than the cumbersome ladder on frame.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:16   #2618
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

thats cool. but I like the XUV. just think it will be too big for my needs. took the wife across to see it and she feels the same.
hence for me I think it may not suit.
however, I will drive it properly and then decide if it is indeed too big or not, which would be the right way to go about it.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Shankar sorry to say but it looks like your trying to justify not picking up the XUV500 and defending the Scorp and it's not really working.

Sorry but the XUV is not at all large. The length of the XUV is exactly the same as the Altis which is a breeze to drive in traffic. The width is a little more than the Altis but that's really not a concern as with the Altis you can't really squeeze either.

I havent experience 2 wheelers scratching or too much parking difficulties with the Altis.

Infact the Toyota Innova is longer than the XUV and Altis and that doesn't have issues in driving in bangalore traffic.

The XUV being more imposing than the Innova and Altis should be way easier to drive. The monocque contruction will give the XUV a car like feel which will be way easier in traffic than the cumbersome ladder on frame.
this is exactly what i had suggested to them in the evaluation session in May. had asked them to create a roller type parcel shelf like there is in some of the better class International SUV's.
the laptop space may comfortably fit my IPAD2 and maybe the Dell or possibly a Vaio but certainly not a fat ugly old IBM or Lenovo or whatever.
and the bag cannot be squashed into that space.
Sadly if one were to leave the laptop in the special space but the bag on the floor, then there is enough incentive for a bad beast to break in thinking there is a laptop lying there unprotected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Keeping the 3rd row down is something I would do too, if I had to buy this car. But, problem is that anything kept in the back would be visible to one and all - I guess one could not keep a laptop bag in here and go off to do something. Unless willing to take the risk of coming back to find a broken window and a missing laptop!

If it were planned as a 5 seater, then probably they would have put in a parcel tray which would have solved the above problem.

I know there is a cubby-hole to store a laptop in, but I doubt if the laptop bag would fit in there? And who roams around with a laptop and no laptop bag?
sorry buddy I didnt take pics. too much of a crowd and it was very hot too in the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
But where are the pics? It'll be awesome to see both of them standing together.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:18   #2619
BHPian

Looks like M&M lost their tracks due to "overwhelming response". Tried to get a TD and got the following message:

[COLOR=#000] Thanks! Due to an overwhelming number of test drive requests, we are unable to schedule a test drive at your preferred location at this point in time.
We request you to visit the nearest Mahindra dealership in Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore or Pune to avail a test drive on first come, first served basis.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000]To book a test drive, you can also call us at 1800-266-7000 or (022)61936500.[/COLOR]

Wanted to TD and book the same as soon as I could be there in India. After reading the analysis by folks here about the production numbers, it seems it may take couple of months to get one. Wish and hope they don't compromise on the quality we see now and just "somehow" make it and give to customers..... and then the attitude to customers changes...like ....

"if u wanna take it... take it... else we have many lined up behind u ..... what else would you expect at this price...."

Reading the later posts, i assume the M&M dealers are reaching the stage to tell customers the above statements.... unlike their attitude in the initial days where they were forcing TD on "prospective" customers after a few months whom they knew wouldn't but immediately.

I am getting a bit skeptical.... and may be i should now wait for the extensive review from GTO before I give way to my hearts desire to book it right away...

Now the enthusiasm I had previously is slightly coming down....

Let us wait and see...
Old 4th October 2011, 18:31   #2620
BHPian

S.E at Bangalore showroom says that W8 AWD waiting period is 2 months
optional accessories of Rs 32000/-( do i have to buy these)
Volcano black xuv comes with beige and walnut interior colour combination only
(black and plum interior not available for volcano black xuv)

please can someone confirm the above
Old 4th October 2011, 18:37   #2621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
optional accessories of Rs 32000/-( do i have to buy these)

Here is the price list of those optional accessories. Check the price and decide what you need!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2530458
Old 4th October 2011, 18:55   #2622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
I guess the parcel tray is available as an optional fitment. Mahindra has even provided grooves to fit the parcel tray in the boot.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:59   #2623
Senior - BHPian

agree whole heatedly , i would probably keep 1 folder down most of the times to allow for space for city conditions and both when making trips - i think its because of the amount of legroom they have given to the 2nd row - my initial impression was that it was way more than some of the others i have been in , maybe wrong but felt that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
[*]Last row seating. (Does not exist). Better to keep those seats folded and think of this as a five seater.
Old 4th October 2011, 19:13   #2624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The width is a little more than the Altis but that's really not a concern as with the Altis you can't really squeeze either.
I beg to disagree. The width of the XUV is even wider than the Fortuner by 50mm and it is a pain sometimes to manouver my Fortuner in city traffic especially in a small city like Meerut for which I feel it is TOO BIG. It does part the traffic however, due to its image. Same 'could' be replicated in the XUV over a period of some months.

Now that can be taken as BOTH a positive or a negative depending upon your point of view.
Old 4th October 2011, 19:29   #2625
BHPian

I was watching one of the videos where the rear door glasses were rolled down and saw some sharp edges that can hurt when the glass is semi opened .... can someone who has the closest access/view to the XUV-5oo check on this please.... it would be a help to those who has not yet had the opportunity to feel this new animal....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed