Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 20:02   #2626
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I beg to disagree. The width of the XUV is even wider than the Fortuner by 50mm and it is a pain sometimes to manouver my Fortuner in city traffic especially in a small city like Meerut for which I feel it is TOO BIG. It does part the traffic however, due to its image. Same 'could' be replicated in the XUV over a period of some months.

Now that can be taken as BOTH a positive or a negative depending upon your point of view.
Ofcourse it's not as easy to drive as a i10 or Swift. I'm just saying it should not be any difficult than driving an Altis or Civic through our roads.
Old 4th October 2011, 20:04   #2627
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
S.E at Bangalore showroom says that W8 AWD waiting period is 2 months
optional accessories of Rs 32000/-( do i have to buy these)
Volcano black xuv comes with beige and walnut interior colour combination only
(black and plum interior not available for volcano black xuv)

please can someone confirm the above
Volcano black and satin white comes with Beige and walnut interiors. Saw the same in SKS, Sony world. The rest comes with Black and plum combination.

The beige and walnut doesn't look all that bad. But again it is subjective.
Had a brief 5min test drive this afternoon. It was infact very easy to drive in Bangalore traffic (1:30PM traffic)
Couldnt adjust the seat to my needs and hence was not really comfortable on the driving seat. Brakes were very hard to press. Seats were hard too. Guess it will soften with use.
Though I enjoyed the drive, the wow factor was missing. I drive a Getz and my expectations were high. But, guess i felt so since it was just a small drive and moreover I couldnt get the seat adjusted exactly as I wanted it to be.

Btw, the push button opening above the info screen just popped open when i drove over a hump. The info screen displayed 8.1 as the mileage.
SKS has 2 vehicles on display. Black and a white. Black is awesome. White looks good too.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:31   #2628
BHPian

Your guess is right. This was off the cuff figure quoted by the service representative. I am still waiting for the call from Mahindra and this wait is killing us. Wish I could get the delivery on or before Dhanteras.

Wishful thinking though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
How did you get to know your number? I was told that i would get to know this in few days as Mahindra will call me directly and will also let me know the final on road price. Was the SA able to tell you this number or was it a wild guess from him. Please advice.
Oh by the way, Congrats

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th October 2011 at 00:22. Reason: Dotty post, please use proper puctuations instead of.... Thanks.
Old 4th October 2011, 22:26   #2629
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
It is not Direct TPMS then. Indirect TPMS uses the Antilock Braking System (ABS) to gauge tire pressure by measuring the difference in diameter of each tire by counting the rotations. It is not very accurate and also depends on the tread and wear and tear of each tyre. You need to make sure all tyres worn out equally by frequent tyre rotation and need to be replaced at the same time
@teamveevee:

This is not true mate. Scorpio has a sensor on each wheel. When you do a tire rotation, the sensor now needs to know which sensor is located where. You do this by putting the TPMS into learning mode and deflating each tire little bit. Hence the TPMS understands which sensor is Front Left, Front Right, Rear right etc after a tire rotation.

The Scorpio TPMS is not connected to the ABS system at all...

Just out of curiosity, where did you even get this information from?
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 22:42   #2630
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Had a chance to drop by a Mahindra Showroom while returning from office today. I was pleasantly surprised that the showroom was open from 9 am to 9 pm.

First Impressions
- Car looks much better in flesh
- Fenders are made of Fibre (ABS?)
- Fender and front door panels were not in the same level in the three cars on display
- The exterior seemed to be otherwise put together daily well
- The Beige and Walnut interiors was not my taste
- The Black and plum interiors looked much better
- Front seats are very comfortable (I'm 6' 2") and everything seemed to be spot-on
- Rear seats had ample leg space with the front seats fully pushed back
- The interior of the central arm rest seemed to be of poor quality. The lid was already giving a "kkkrrrreeeekkkk" when opened or closed
- Hand Brake was also giving the same noise when operated
- Dials seemed impressive
- Mood-lighting looked okayed
- did not get a chance to TD yet, but could not hear the engine when switched on.
- Clutch was very hard even when compared to my 1,23 Lakh km run Fusion.

All in all a great attempt by M & M. Leaps and bounds ahead of the Scorpio in terms of interiors and quality. I'm not sure how long the interiors would hold up, the gadgets continue to work?! Only time and the ownership reviews on Tbhp will tell.
Old 4th October 2011, 22:50   #2631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
I respect your view mate. Every person has his own definition for PRACTICALITY.

But since you are putting down your hard earned money, let me tell you one thing. F1 may be more roomier and luxurious, but with the same money you will get XUV which is more safer (ABS, Airbags, ESP, etc.,)
F1 is 10.5L on the road in Chennai. How much is each of the versions of the XUV in Chennai or nearby city?
Old 4th October 2011, 23:01   #2632
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
F1 is 10.5L on the road in Chennai. How much is each of the versions of the XUV in Chennai or nearby city?
W6 - 1313087 OTR
W8 - 1451908 OTR
W8 AWD - 1564172 OTR

XUV is a much better package when compared to F1, which looks atleast 2 generations behind.
Old 5th October 2011, 00:14   #2633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Actually it is the light sensor for the automatic headlamps. The Climate control system doesn't have a sunlight sensor just a normal temp sensor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
I just searched the brochure again and it does say a feature like "Intelligent light sensing headlamps".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhouette View Post
That is actually sunload sensor. This helps in heatload calculations for fully automatic temperature control otherwise called climate control HVAC.
Quote:
Sorry Silhouette but I can assure you that this is a light sensor. Having a heatload sensor means the climate control system has to be much more advanced and would need a heatload sensor on all 4 corners. Yes the Leaf may have it and so do Audis and BMW's but definitely not on this car.
Quote:
That would never work! Imagine driving at night with the trucks and other idiotic cars with highbeams. The sensors on the headlight would think there was enough light and would turn off the headlights.

This is the most optimum position as they need to be a simple setup. You don't want the lights to keep going on and off while driving.

This feature is actually there for some other countries which impose fines if you forget to turn on your lights. With this feature you can leave the stalk in that position at all times. Even when you remove the key the lights will turn off automatically.

In my Altis I can't remember the last time I turned that stalk. It's always been in auto position.
You are right. It would actually never work for many reasons. Even if it was successful in sensing forward luminosity correctly and switch on lights, how would it determine when to switch if off. It will definitely have to be at a neutral place.

Quote:
@harimakesh : you are right !
Apologies, if it’s stretching a bit. It’s better to have right information. It’s not very advanced feature. Any car with climate control has two sensors one to detect the sun-load and one to detect the cabin temperature and then it makes the necessary adjustments if it’s in auto mode. Beat for example does not have auto-lamp function but it does have the same sensor because it comes with climate control.

there is no such sensor on scorpio and it comes with auto lamp function.
Quote:
My bad i should have not used leaf example ... pls look at chevy beat dash caefully you will find similar sensor because it comes with climate control and btw it does not have auto lamp function. similarly you will not find same sensor in scorpio because it does not have climate control eventhough it has auto lamp function.
Quote:
Actually Silhouette that's pretty much a dummy sensor in the Beat with no real function.

If as you say it's the sunlight sensor then where is the auto headlamp light sensor?

I've personally tested that dome shaped sensor in my Altis and have confirmed that it's the light sensor. My Altis has climate control and auto headlamps but no sunlight sensor for the climate control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I feel they are sunlight sensors.

1) Punto & many similar cars has got these type of sensors on the dash. They have got Auto AC but not Auto headlight or Auto wiper nor GPS.

2) I feel this is not the sensor for Auto headlights as even scorpio has Auto headlights but it has no sensor like this on the dash (it has not got Auto AC).

Sunlight/solar sensors are essential in cars with Auto AC as the system needs to know the external temperature & thus adjust the optimum set temperature inside the cabin.

I could not find any worthwhile links, but here are some -

Audi Worldwide > advice > Glossary > Automatic air conditioning

http://www.epcos.com/web/generator/W...motive_AN1.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
^^ In Altis there are two such sensors on dash very close to windshield and they say these are for auto Headlight level. Lower variants have the manual knob to set headlight beam level.. HTH..
Could one of these be SLD and another Darkness/Brightness sensor?

Quote:
@raj_5004 That's precise !
after some research and few phone calls i found out that In mahindra scorpio and Xuv 500 you will find auto headlamp and rain sensor just behind the IRVM mounting. check scorpio images carefully... BCP has got some opening near inner mirror mounting. Thats where this sensor (auto lamp and rain) is fitted.
Is the placement of the sensor ditto to Scorpio? It is highly likely that they would port the already in use mechanisms in Scorpio to XUV as they have done with Rain sensor.

I was searching for the mechanisms and it does come out to be Sun Load Detector (SLD) sensor for Automatic Climate/Temperature control system, though I have not personally verified with Scopr or XUV.

Climate Control - how it works (excuse for the old 2005 article, but fundamentally the technique would be same) which points that it could be the SLD.

How Do Automatic Headlights Work? | eHow.com states "The sensor is located at the base of the windshield under the defogger grill"

And the Rain Sensor mechanism does seem to work from a sensor fitted behind the IRVM. So it may also be possible to include the darkness/brightness sensor there too.

Rain sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All in all, I think that unless definitively ratified from the Manufacturer its not clear who will use what technology in what way. Will try dig this up with Mahindra guys. What Raj and Silhouette are saying may have good standing.
Old 5th October 2011, 00:49   #2634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_nv View Post
Your guess is right. This was off the cuff figure quoted by the service representative. I am still waiting for the call from Mahindra and this wait is killing us. Wish I could get the delivery on or before Dhanteras.

Wishful thinking though.
Oh ok i guessed it. Well even i haven't received any call from them. Sales guy said that you will get the call in 48 hours. Infact to i got the message alert that my 40K check has been cleared so i am hoping that they would be calling me now soon.
I don't mind the wait as i want the car in Jan if possible. By that time i would have the option to go from canteen as well.
Old 5th October 2011, 01:03   #2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Volcano black and satin white comes with Beige and walnut interiors. Saw the same in SKS, Sony world. The rest comes with Black and plum combination.

The beige and walnut doesn't look all that bad. But again it is subjective.
There are two advantages of Beige/Walnut that are specific to XUV:
  • Something about the vehicle gives the slightest feeling of being crunched (not really claustrophobic) and the light colors that Beige/Walnut are alleviate that feeling
  • The quality of Black/Plum "appears" inferior to Beige/Walnut, even though in reality the interiors are of same quality.

But then again, the topic is pretty subjective too.
Old 5th October 2011, 07:40   #2636
BHPian

Booking was entered on sat, but no call or mail from them for confirmation for delivery or schedule. What should I do? Any way of tracking status?
The dealer rep is asking for 30k which am gonna pay today
Old 5th October 2011, 08:20   #2637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Booking was entered on sat, but no call or mail from them for confirmation for delivery or schedule. What should I do? Any way of tracking status?
The dealer rep is asking for 30k which am gonna pay today
Pankaj, I was clearly told that the additional 30k booking amount would be required only after Mahindra calls/emails the confirmation of the booking. Till then I don't think you should pay up.

I got an email from Mahindra with some tracking link to see the status of my order. The link takes me to Mahindra's SAP portal, and Apparently this portal will show the status of my order from order booking stage to production right upto delivery. I don't know how far this will work in terms of accurate info though!
Old 5th October 2011, 08:48   #2638
Senior - BHPian

^^ Isn't the booking amount 40k? My friend who converted his Scorpio order to XUV was told to make booking amt to 40k whereas he had made 10k for Scorpio.
Old 5th October 2011, 10:05   #2639
BHPian

I just learned the W6 has a black and white touch screen, that's a bit of a downer given how inexpensive touch screens are, cost difference would be negligible at best.

The main differences then between the W6 and W8 apart from the monochrome screen are the alloys, gps navigation and ESP - which apparently makes a huge difference for SUVs.

The alloys themselves are 35k, For the 115k extra it would make more sense to get the W8.
Old 5th October 2011, 10:06   #2640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Pankaj, I was clearly told that the additional 30k booking amount would be required only after Mahindra calls/emails the confirmation of the booking. Till then I don't think you should pay up.

I got an email from Mahindra with some tracking link to see the status of my order. The link takes me to Mahindra's SAP portal, and Apparently this portal will show the status of my order from order booking stage to production right upto delivery. I don't know how far this will work in terms of accurate info though!
I was told the opposite. I had to pay up 40K for the booking to be "confirmed" with Mahindra. 10K for booking to be "confirmed" with dealer..whatever that means. I haven't received any email or call since booking on Saturday.

When did you book and how many days after did you receive the email from Mahindra? Do you see a tentative delivery date on the portal?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed