Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 19:51   #2686
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Thank you all.Went ahead with the 2wd w8.Delivery promised before 30th OCT.I think the Fuel economy of the 2wd will much better than the 4wd.
I went ahead for one basic reason,the ASM at m&m said that AWD production has not started as of yet ,it will take 2 months and the deliveries will be starting only after 1st week of January.

I believe by then already the price will go up by atleast 50K.

Instead will book a VIP number and add some genuine accesories with the lakh ruppee which I save on it.

Kedar, just saw this on XUV500 site on the price page:
"Due to the overwhelming response for the XUV500 and the W8 AWD variant in particular, we have stopped accepting bookings for the W8 AWD variant at this point in time. We continue to accept bookings for the W6 and W8 2WD variants."

Is that the reason you are denied AWD? Or is there some gimmick to it?

Accessories brochure seems to be up on site. Had uploaded the accessories prices as were published in the showroom (they are not exhaustive) in earlier post for those interested.

Mahindra XUV500 Accessory Brochure_new.pdf

Last edited by parsh : 5th October 2011 at 19:59.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 20:00   #2687
Senior - BHPian

Re: Speaker Placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Generally speaker position are observed to be kept lowly towards the feet so that the sound does not directly travel to ears. I think this also helps to create a good sound ambience.

What will be the effect of these placements in XUV? The speakers here are placed a little below the window level but much higher than the ground and seem to be coming up at a level little above the waist of the person sitting.

Attachment 821704

Attachment 821706
I am not an ICE expert but I have read that this speaker placement is actually better than the ones near the foot. Speakers SHOULD BE at ear level. See the Bimmers and Audis.

Manufacturers normally place the speakers low down near the foot as it is convenient for them.
Old 5th October 2011, 20:04   #2688
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

This is fantastic and very professional. Well done M&M.

I wish other manufacturers also follow suit. I read somewhere that M&M has assigned exclusive relationship managers to attend to the XUV customer's requirements and IMO, these initiatives go a long way in establishing trust, improve brand perception and value.

Only issue I see is, these need to work the way they intended to over the course of time, and if it does, we can safely say M&M has set an example for others to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
I had booked the W6 on 30th sept.

Got a confirmation mail on booking where one can track the status of the booking.

It mentions the delivery date as 2nd November.

Clean system by M&M, takes away all issues of wrong commitment and biased dealings by the dealerships.
Old 5th October 2011, 20:14   #2689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I am not an ICE expert but I have read that this speaker placement is actually better than the ones near the foot. Speakers SHOULD BE at ear level. See the Bimmers and Audis.

Manufacturers normally place the speakers low down near the foot as it is convenient for them.
Thanks Raj. The speakers may be the last thing on manufacturer's minds but these days I think they also must considering all possible ways to design better accoustics given the growing demand for music to ears.

I was worried about the Pathlenghts of the sound as is explicited by diagrams in this article. It is a different matter that the article advocates the Kickpanels which are not a question here. But the aspect of pathlengths is surely valid.

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/car_spea..._placement.htm

What occurs to me is that the difference in the pathlengths is going to be lot more than having the speakers placed near foot and hence adverse effect on the accoustics. Also the speaker closer to you is really going to be very close and I feel that it may not turn out to be intimidating. Haven't experienced it though, neither have experience of the Bimmer and Audi car music system for a long time now.

Last edited by parsh : 5th October 2011 at 20:14. Reason: added the forgotten link and removed spaces
Old 5th October 2011, 20:44   #2690
BHPian

Any news on the automatic transmission? When is it likely to be launched? Pricing??
Old 5th October 2011, 21:26   #2691
BHPian

The accessories list does not include a front grill guard & rear spoiler!

Alloy options look neat, so does the roof rack!

Those chrome garnishes (rear & front) will look hideous..
Old 5th October 2011, 21:36   #2692
BHPian

Quote:
...Also the speaker closer to you is really going to be very close and I feel that it may not turn out to be intimidating. Haven't experienced it though, neither have experience of the Bimmer and Audi car music system for a long time now.
Forget Audis and Beemers, check out the humble ford figo which has a similar setup.
Old 5th October 2011, 21:38   #2693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
Forget Audis and Beemers, check out the humble ford figo which has a similar setup.
Right, so how is the effect and the difference between the lower and higher placements?
Old 5th October 2011, 21:46   #2694
BHPian

Quote:
Right, so how is the effect and the difference between the lower and higher placements?
Unless this is fitted and compared in the same car, we cant make out a difference. Figo OEM system is very pleasant to listen and the transition effects (Stereo) between left and right channels are better experienced I think compared to my Verna which has speaker position at the foot level .
Old 5th October 2011, 22:10   #2695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
Unless this is fitted and compared in the same car, we cant make out a difference. Figo OEM system is very pleasant to listen and the transition effects (Stereo) between left and right channels are better experienced I think compared to my Verna which has speaker position at the foot level .
Cool. Then the middle placement seems to be well-calculated and working well for accoustics. I will try and experience myself as my friend is going to get this one soon.
Old 5th October 2011, 22:15   #2696
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 112 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmaniac View Post
any idea what is the ground clearance . the website does not mention it
Ground Clearance: 200mm
Old 5th October 2011, 22:46   #2697
BHPian

Mahindra XUV 500 --First impressions

I went to the Mahindra showroom at Chowpatty- Mumbai a few days back. The XUV 500 was really worth a look ( I thought so anyway) but I have to say from what I did see I turned away a bit disappointed.
Basically I just went through the interior quality cause there was a huge line for Test drives.....and Really wasn't that interested in one cause we know the engine and how refined it is in the scorpio and knowing Mahindra engineers it can only get better.
The same sadly cannot be said for the interior quality.
Interior:
Where do I start...the graining of the plastics is much better but the actual quality is quite franly shocking for the price this car commands ..and I am given to understand that the current price is only an introductory and they will raise the price which will bring it to Aria territory.
Areas of suspect for rattling in the very near future:
1. The Glove box ( the way it shuts and it's plastic quality is very reminiscent of the GRANDE
2.The plastic door sill
3. The boot plastic lining
3. The lid on toop of the centre console( and the release button does not feel like it will lasgt a week...looks like it was bought for 20 bucks from lamington road which is quite near the showroom heheh)

Apart from this the plastic bits in the exterior aren't so good either.
1. The plastic cladding on the D pillar just behind the lights
2. The roof rail cover flexes under the slightest touch like you wouldn't believe

Back to the interior:
I admint having owned a TATA 206 ,then an Estate and and now a Safari we have been a bit spoilt for interior space and comfort but still.. the middle row seats in the XUV 500 are really quite small and offer almost no under thigh support ,,Ok I admit that I AM 6FT 3" TALL BUT THIS IS AN suv WHICH SHOULD BE SPACIOUS . The front seats are slightly better but not much ,,,never really bothered about the rear seats in any car so lets leave them out.

Apart from these points,,when I opened the bonnet,the first thing I noticed is that the smart engine cover wuill hinder the battery removal,
also with the bonnet closed i just pressed on the lid and boy oh boy the lid showed a lot of play which will again lead to rattling quite soon......

A point I want to just mention here is that the Front while looks stunning in design concept has one thing I feel is a bit of a let down and this is just a personal issue,,,,If you notice that there is a black grill like thingy below the lights around the sharp angular design on the bumper and this looks good from afar but step closer and you notice it is not a grill really and is a plastic plate with a grill like design on it ,,,bit of a let down..

My conclusions:
A brilliant shock product,, good features ( like the hill hold and descent control),nice looks,,but and this I fell is a big but the quality is just not upto the standards the Indian customer now demands and it is not a cheap car ,,and in the near future will get even more expensive when they get rid of the introductory pricing. The Aria is another case in example...here I feel that the plastics ( leaving a few odds and ends ) is quite upto to standards demaded and it is just the TATA badge ( no one wants to pay that much for a TATA badge..fair enough) but the XUV on the basis of it's quality cannot compete at that level....

That said I hope the XUV 500 does well ...and I have a nagging feeling it will cause Mahindra while on a roll with good products have been lucky ,,,the Scorpio is a good product but not so good that it should over shadows the Safari in terms of sale.... still credit due they make a car that the customer approves of..
Old 6th October 2011, 00:14   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Not sure of the W8. But the 4 weeks delivery seem to be the norm. Dont think dealer has any say in the delivery time line. As mentioned, i booked a W6 on 30th sept, delivery is expected on 2nd nov
Mahindra now says: "Due to the overwhelming response for the XUV500 and the W8 AWD variant in particular, we have stopped accepting bookings for the W8 AWD variant at this point in time."

God, that was fast! Recession? Where? In India? 13L vehicle fully booked to capacity even before proper test drives!

IMO, manufacturers now should include as standard feature, a six- month waiting period!
Old 6th October 2011, 01:11   #2699
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV 500 --First impressions

Nice review, thanks for sharing. The interior plastic quality part comes as a bit of a surprise considering most people have mentioned it as being a major upgrade compared to xylo/scorpio. Did you benchmark against these vehicles or had the Aria specifically in mind?

Also, disagree with you on Mahindra being lucky. You cannot have well selling products consistently unless you are doing something, in fact most things right. Mahindra knows it's buying segment well, and caters to their prime requirements like no other.

Mods: This perhaps needs to be merged in the ongoing XUV thread.

Last edited by avisidhu : 6th October 2011 at 01:14.
Old 6th October 2011, 01:25   #2700
Senior - BHPian

I got a mail which had my ID and password for my account in SAP. WOW. Well the delivery stated for my booking is 17/12/11. I think i will ask them to change the date to Jan instead. This is really nice from Mahindra.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks