Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 02:07   #2701
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV 500 --First impressions

I saw the XUV500 and it looks visibly smaller than the Safari/ Scorpio. The New Grande has a better road presence than this vehicle.
Also, the entire design has a very 'chinese' influence, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the review.
Old 6th October 2011, 06:27   #2702
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I got a mail which had my ID and password for my account in SAP. WOW. Well the delivery stated for my booking is 17/12/11. I think i will ask them to change the date to Jan instead. This is really nice from Mahindra.
Did you get a call too? Also when did you book and from which dealer
Old 6th October 2011, 07:10   #2703
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I got a mail which had my ID and password for my account in SAP. WOW. Well the delivery stated for my booking is 17/12/11. I think i will ask them to change the date to Jan instead. This is really nice from Mahindra.
Thats a nice gesture by Mahindra. This will improve the transparancy in allocation of the vehicle. Maruti, VW and now Honda can learn a lot here.
Old 6th October 2011, 10:06   #2704
BHPian

Got an email from the Mahindra SAP system for delivery on 25/12. Should I get it changed to Jan? I'm afraid the change will result in further delays?
Old 6th October 2011, 12:16   #2705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Got an email from the Mahindra SAP system for delivery on 25/12. Should I get it changed to Jan? I'm afraid the change will result in further delays?
Bear in mind that it might also result in change in price...
Old 6th October 2011, 12:24   #2706
BHPian

Hi there and thanks for commenting,,yes I agree my statment about them being lucky was in hindsight a wrong,,but my views on the plastic quality have not changed,,just open the glove box and the lid on top of the centre console and you will get a feel of what I mean,,yes some parts are better like the control stalks but for a car that hass been in development this long should have turned out a bit better,,and yes I am pitching it more against the ARIA cause I have read in Economic Times that this is just an intro price and they will raise it whicj will then bring it to ARIA levels.....if you haven't already checked out the car please do so and go over the points I found a let down and please let me know whtat you think about it..( i can tell you the Mahindra guys were not very happy with me checking it out the way I was hehehehe) but as I said ALL THE BEST to them I think they again have a winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Nice review, thanks for sharing. The interior plastic quality part comes as a bit of a surprise considering most people have mentioned it as being a major upgrade compared to xylo/scorpio. Did you benchmark against these vehicles or had the Aria specifically in mind?

Also, disagree with you on Mahindra being lucky. You cannot have well selling products consistently unless you are doing something, in fact most things right. Mahindra knows it's buying segment well, and caters to their prime requirements like no other.

Mods: This perhaps needs to be merged in the ongoing XUV thread.
Old 6th October 2011, 14:00   #2707
BHPian

I was watching today XUV first drive by ndtv's Siddharth Vinayak Patankar.
According to him body roll is very much controlled, even better than Fortuner.
If this is true, M&M should really shift production from top variants of Scorpio to XUV.
Also when XYLO came, M&M touted It as sedan Killer, but nothing happened.
But this time they really delivered this.
I think one of bhpian only cancelled booking of fluidic verna and booked XUV instead.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th October 2011 at 21:31. Reason: Spellings
Vishal.R is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th October 2011, 14:22   #2708
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoshdhondy View Post

I admint having owned a TATA 206 ,then an Estate and and now a Safari we have been a bit spoilt for interior space and comfort but still..

My conclusions:
The Aria is another case in example...here I feel that the plastics ( leaving a few odds and ends ) is quite upto to standards demaded and it is just the TATA badge ( no one wants to pay that much for a TATA badge..fair enough) but the XUV on the basis of it's quality cannot compete at that level....

That said I hope the XUV 500 does well ...and I have a nagging feeling it will cause Mahindra while on a roll with good products have been lucky ,,,the Scorpio is a good product but not so good that it should over shadows the Safari in terms of sale.... still credit due they make a car that the customer approves of..
Welcome to the forum!

I recall a conversation with a Tata ERC manager a few weeks after the launch of the Scorpio where he commented that the Scorpio could not be compared to the Safari which in his opinion was a higher class of vehicle. I was reminded of that conversation when I read your post. You can certainly defend your statement that the Interior trim of the Safari \ Aria are better than the Scorpio \ XUV500... but from an overall perspective M&Ms offerings are perceived to have better quality \ reliability levels than competing products from TML. A large percentage of Scorio owners may well have opted for the safari had it earned a favourable reputation for reliability. Sure the price would have still swayed many buyers towards the Scorpio but I still think that in the first 4 - 5 years of head-to-head competition the Safari lost out to a greater degree on account of its low quality perception among the motoring public.

Our forum is rife with potential buyers willing to bet their money on the Safari even today if TML focuses on improving the overall quality of the platform (and engine ?)

Long story short is that most customers weigh the entire package and VFM equation and this is where TML has missed the bus in its UV\SUV\Crossover strategy.

For all its success in the CV & Pascar segment, TML has not maximized its potential in the UV \ SUV segment. Time and again.

Last edited by Zed : 6th October 2011 at 14:25.
Old 6th October 2011, 14:25   #2709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
If this parcel tray extends all the way to the 2nd row of seats, then that would certainly solve the problem! I think I did see some pictures somewhere showing the mentioned 'groove', but I could not figure out where the other end of the tray would sit...
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Check out this groove, i think the other end sits here -
I got to understand where exactly your parcel tray would sit. Sadly they are not showcasing a parcel tray in their showroom neither in the accessories brochure though.

These seem to be the slots to fix something like a support/swivel bar of the parcel tray.

Right side slot

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070928.jpg

Left side slot

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070929.jpg

Do you see that 'J' groove in middle of the D-pillar pointed inward? It is there on both sides. That is where the last part of parcel tray must be fitting.

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-p1070937.jpg

What is that knob placed within a sort of closed panel between the a/c vent and above the charger socket in pic 2 above?
Old 6th October 2011, 14:28   #2710
BHPian

hi mods we bhpians are eagerly awaiting the xuv review ,its been a good 5 days since team bhp mods have test driven it ,why is the review taking so long to be penned ,people have high hopes for an unbaised review from you guys .
Old 6th October 2011, 14:39   #2711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoshdhondy View Post
I went to the Mahindra showroom at Chowpatty- Mumbai a few days back. The XUV 500 was really worth a look ( I thought so anyway) but I have to say from what I did see I turned away a bit disappointed.
Basically I just went through the interior quality cause there was a huge line for Test drives.....and Really wasn't that interested in one cause we know the engine and how refined it is in the scorpio and knowing Mahindra engineers it can only get better.
Dear Anosh- I work near Nariman Point and have seen the XUV taking rounds several times a day on test drives. As I was coming back home I saw a lot of customers and people in the Chowpatty showroom, ditched the cab and decided to enter the showroom. The showroom was closed the customers were the ones who managed to get in before it shutters went down. Not to mention the list of people waiting for a test drive. I can hear sales registers ringing for Mahindra. Some so called influencers have called the XUV a fortuner competitor.
Old 6th October 2011, 14:56   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
I got to understand where exactly your parcel tray would sit. Sadly they are not showcasing a parcel tray in their showroom neither in the accessories brochure though.
Its for a retractable parcel tray for sure , hence the reverse hook on D-Pillar . I guess this will be optional once the trays are ready and/or only for International market.
Old 6th October 2011, 14:56   #2713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Some so called influencers have called the XUV a fortuner competitor.
It is what XUV 5OO infact is. At my office some of the T-Fort aspirants have already switched over to XUV, waiting for test drive before inking the cheque. They are elated about the approx Rs 10.00 lakh saving from the T-Fort kitty...!

Cant blame them, XUV is a stunner (albeit the poor plastic quality) at a juicy price point.
Old 6th October 2011, 15:08   #2714
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post

What is that knob placed within a sort of closed panel between the a/c vent and above the charger socket in pic 2 above?
That panel has the the manual fuel lid opening knob inside. The fuel lid is operated electrically from the dash. Incase that fails you can open it manually.

I opened it up and checked it out.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 15:29   #2715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That panel has the the manual fuel lid opening knob inside. The fuel lid is operated electrically from the dash. Incase that fails you can open it manually.

I opened it up and checked it out.
Waw, really! Thats a nice provision man. Never imagined that kind of mechanism for sure.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed